Empaglifozin is a Sodium-glucose co-transporter-2 inhibitors work by inhibiting SGLT2, to prevent reabsorption of glucose and facilitate its excretion in urine. Impurities in pharmaceuticals which are unwanted chemicals that remain with the active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs), or develop during stability testing, or develop during formulation or upon aging of both API and formulation. A simple and very sensitive method developed for estimation of impurities present in Empaglifozin formulation by Reverse Phase High Performance Liquid Chromatographic method. Method is capable to detect impurities in very low level (1µg/mL). Chromatographic separation of six different impurities was achieved on Inertsil ODS-2 (250 x 4.6) mm, 3µm column using gradient elution method at 30°C column temperature and the detection was carried at 230nm at a flow rate of 1.0 mL/min. The method was validated as per ICH Q2(R1) guideline along with stress studies.
Cite this article:
Patel N, Patel S. Reverse Phase High Performance Liquid Chromatographic Method for Separation and Estimation of impurities present in Pharmaceutical Formulation of Empaglifozin. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(9):4595-1. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00799
Patel N, Patel S. Reverse Phase High Performance Liquid Chromatographic Method for Separation and Estimation of impurities present in Pharmaceutical Formulation of Empaglifozin. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(9):4595-1. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00799 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-9-13
1. American Diabetes Association (ADA), Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus, Diabetes Care, 2007; 30(1): S42-S47.
2. Jennifer M, Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus: New criteria, Am Fam Physician, 1998; 58(6): 1355-1362.
3. American Diabetes Association, Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes mellitus, Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: S5-S10.
4. Haslett Christopher, Chilvers Edwin, Hunter John, Boon Nicholas, Davidson’s Principles and Practice of Medicines. 18th Ed. UK: Churchill Livingstone, 1999; 472-485.
5. Expert Committee on the Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus: Report of the Expert Committee on the Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus, Diabetes Care. 1997; 20: 1183–1197.
6. N. Padmaja, Veerabhadram. Development and validation of a novel stability-indicating RP-HPLC method for the determination of empagliflozin in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. Vol. 7(11): 4523-4530
7. N. Padmaja, Veerabhadram. Method development and validation of RP-HPLC method for the estimation of empagliflozin in API. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2016; Vol. 7(2): 724-727.
8. Geetha Swarupa, Lakshmana Rao , Suresh Babu. Development and validation of stability indicating reversed phase HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of metformin and empagliflozin in bulk and tablet dosage form, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, Vol-9, Supp.1-2016
9. C. Rupasi Pratyusha1, M. Bhagavan Raju, Development and validation of stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of metformin hydrochloride and empagliflozin in bulk and in a synthetic mixture. International Journal of Pharmacy. 2016: 6(4), 138-147
10. Sushil D. Patil, Dr. Sunil V, Amurutkar, Dr. C.D. Upasani , Development and Validation of stability indicating RP-HPLC method for Empaglifozin, Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2016; 6(4): 201-206.
11. Shyamala, M Soumika, E Sangeetha, Method development and validation of empagliflozin by RP-HPLC in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form, International Journal of Advances in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016; 7 (1): 3040-3042.
12. G. Raveendra Babu, J. Srinivasa Rao, K. Suresh kumar, P. Jayachandra Reddy. Stability Indicating Liquid Chromatographic Method for Aripiprazole. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 1(1): Jan.-Mar. 2011; Page 03-07.
13. Akhilesh Gupta, Swati Rawat, Arun Pandey. Method Development and Photolytic Degradation Study of Doxofylline by RP-HPLC and LC-MS/MS. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 1(2): April-June 2011; Page 29-33.
14. Kasad Pinaz A., K.S. Muralikrishna. Method Development and Acid Degradation Study of Rivaroxaban by RP-HPLC in bulk. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 3(2): April- June 2013; Page 62-65.
15. Shiny Ganji, D. Satyavati. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for the analysis of Cobicistat and related impurities in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 5(1): Jan.- March 2015; Page 1-8.
16. O.S.S. Chandana, R. Ravichandra Babu. Stability Indicating HPLC Method Development and Validation for Thalidomide and its Impurity Determination. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2016; 6(2): 115-118.
17. Gandla. Kumara Swamy, R. Lalitha, Ch. Mounika, B. Soumya, D. Sudheer Kumar. A Validated RP-HPLC Method for Simultanious Determination of Metformin and Canagliflozin in Pharmaceutical Formulation. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2018; 8(2): 73-77.
18. Pramadvara Kallepalli, Mukthinuthalapati Mathrusri Annapurna. Separation, Identification and Quantification of process related Impurities and Stress Degradants of Gefitinib by LC-ESI-Q–TOF/MS. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(8): 3647-3657.
19. Mahalingam. V, Vijayabaskar. S, Kalaivani. R.A, Somanathan. T. Analytical Method Development and Validation for the analysis of Donepezil hydrochloride and its Related Substances using Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatography. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(8): 2743-2749.
20. K. S. Sumanth, A. Srinivasa Rao, D. Gowri Shankar. A New Stability Indicating RP-HPLC Method Development and Validation for Simultaneous Estimation of Emtricitabine and Tenofovir with Degradation Kinetics. Asian J. Research Chem. 2018; 11(3): 569-579.
21. Vatchavai Bhaskara Raju, Bonthu Mohan Gandhi, Kamatham Srinivas Sumanth, Kolli Srinivas, Tupakula N Venkata Lakshmi Neeraja. RP-HPLC Method Development and Validation for Simultaneous Estimation of Telmisartan and Ramipril in pure and Pharmaceutical Dosage forms. Asian J. Research Chem. 2017; 10(2): 179-185.
22. Bulusu Lakshmi Sushma1, Gutta Madhusudhan, Anireddy Jayashree. Stability Indicating UPLC Method for Determination of Related Substances in Doxazosin mesylate. Asian J. Research Chem. 2017; 10(2): 95-100
23. United States Pharmacopoeia, General chapter 621’’Chromatography’’, USP41, NF36, 2018.
24. ICH Q2(R1)Validation of Analytical procedures: Text and Methodology; 2005.