Kiran B. Kotade, Shivanand N. Hiremath, Santosh Ghule, Praveen Sharma, Tanvirsingh Rajput, Kiran B. Dhamak
Kiran B. Kotade1*, Shivanand N. Hiremath2, Santosh Ghule3, Praveen Sharma4, Tanvirsingh Rajput5, Kiran B. Dhamak6
1P.R.E.S.’s, Pravara College of Pharmacy (For Women), Nashik, Maharashtra, India - 422102.
2P.R.E.S.’s, Pravara College of D Pharmacy, Loni, Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, India - 413736.
3Samarth College of Pharmacy, Belhe, Junnar, Pune, Maharashtra, India - 412410.
4Vinayaka College of Pharmacy, Hatod, Indore, India.
5St. John Institute of Pharmacy and Research, Palghar, India.
6P.R.E.S.’s, Pravara College of Pharmacy (For Women), Nashik, Maharashtra, India - 422102.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 8,
Year - 2023
Gymnosporia montana (Roth) Bemth. is a traditional herbaceous plant of Celastraceous family found in different regions of India. We have earlier reported its antiulcer activity in aspirin-induced, pylorus-ligation induced, and cysteamine-induced ulcer models. As stress-induced ulcer amount to a majority of clinically evident ulcers, it was thought worthy to investigate the effects of the ethanolic extract of Gymnosporia montana in stress-induced ulcer paradigm. Psychological stress was produced by intra-species emotional communication in a jumping box. Rats were randomly divided into two groups; one was used as the ‘sender’ group that received electrical foot shocks of 10 s duration with 50 s intervallic current for the shock was increased stepwise from 10mA to 25mA. The animals showed emotional responses such as abnormal squealing and jumping. The other group called the ‘responder’ group were able to observe the ‘sender’ group mice but were not subjected to the shocks. A separate group of sender rats was used on each day. The receiver group was exposed to sender group for three consecutive days at the end of which, they were sacrificied and were observed for the presence of gastric lesions. Separate groups of rats were treated half an hour before with Ethanolic extract (500mg/kg, p.o.) and diazepam (5mg/kg, p.o.) and the protocol was repeated. At the end the ulcer index, pH of gastric contents and gastric volume was determined. Further, hisotopathology was also performed. Results revealed a good anti-ulcer activity which was comparable to that of diazepam. In conclusion, the present study affords a significant contribution in confirmation of the forklore effects of a traditional remedy.
Cite this article:
Kiran B. Kotade, Shivanand N. Hiremath, Santosh Ghule, Praveen Sharma, Tanvirsingh Rajput, Kiran B. Dhamak. Prevention of Psychological Stress Induced-Ulcer in rats Treated with Fruit Extract of Gymnospora montana. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(8):3554-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00587
Kiran B. Kotade, Shivanand N. Hiremath, Santosh Ghule, Praveen Sharma, Tanvirsingh Rajput, Kiran B. Dhamak. Prevention of Psychological Stress Induced-Ulcer in rats Treated with Fruit Extract of Gymnospora montana. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(8):3554-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00587 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-8-7
1. Selye H. A Syndrome produced by Diverse Nocuous Agents. Nature, 1936; 138(32) 342-50.https://doi.org/10.1176/jnp.10.2.230a.
2. Wood J. The First Nobel Prize for Integrated Systems Physiology: Ivan Petrovich Pavlov, 1904. Physiology. 2004; 19:326-330. https://doi.org/10.1152/physiol.00034.2004.
3. McColl KE. Helicobacter pylori-negative nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug-negative ulcer. Gastroenterological Clinics of North America. 2009; 38:353–361. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gtc.2009.03.004.
4. Levenstein S, Rosenstock S, Jacobsen RK, Jorgensen T. Psychological stress increases risk for peptic ulcer, regardless of Helicobacter pylori infection or use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2015; 13:498-506. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cgh.2014.07.052.
5. Levenstein S. Helicobacter pylori and ulcers. Against reductionism. British Medical Journal. 2009; 339:b3855. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.b3855.
6. De S, Ravishankar B, Bhavsar G. An Investigation on the Hepatoprotective Activity of Gymnosporia Montana. Planta Med. 1994; 60:301-304. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2006-959488.
7. Umbare RP, Mate GS, Dongare SS. Anti-Ulcer Activity of Crude Alcoholic Extract of Rhizomes of Cissus repens Lan. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2011;4(1):60-63.
8. Venkateshwarlu G, Sravan PM, Vijaya BK, Gowrishankar NL, Bhaskar J, Ch. Dhanalakshmi. Antiulcer Activity of Leaf Extract of Lawsonia inermis in Albino rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2011;4(9):1436-38.
9. Mariam AK, Ahlam AA, Huda KK. Study the effect of Ethanolic extract of Anethum graveolens L. on Aspirin induced Gastric Ulcer in Male Guinea Pigs. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(9): 3793-3798. https://www.doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00695.9.
10. Jaideep S, Shivalinge Gowda KP, Shrishailappa B, Rahul A, Nagarjan T. Scrutinizing the Fresh Juice of Leaves of Pedalium murex for the Antiulcer Activity in rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2(1): 2009;191-194.
11. Manimekalai P, Maheshwari P, Velmurugan R, Gurumoorthy M, Hansraj KS, Vijayakumar G. Gastro Protective effect of Standardized Ethanolic leaf extract of Indigofera tinctoriao on experimental Gastric Ulcers in Rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(2): 527-531. https://www.doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00098.7.
12. Mohammad SQ, Venkateshwar Reddy A, Kumar GS. Protective Effect of Hydrolea zeylanica Vahl. Leaf extract in Ethanol and Cold Restraint Stress Induced Ulcers in Rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(1): 49-54. https://www.doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2017.00012.9.
13. Samarjit B, Mrityunjoy M. Preclinical Evaluation of Antiulcer activity of hydroalcoholic extracts of Macrotyloma uniflorum seed. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(2):853-856. https://doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00161.4.
14. Basak M, Saha S. Phytochemical and Antiulcer potential of Ethanolic leaf extract of Heliotropium indicum Linn. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(4): 1938-4. https://doi.org/10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00343.
15. Ilango K, Xavier Arulappa R. Study of Antiulcer Activity of Aerial Parts of Tephrosia spinosa (L.f) Pers. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2010; 3(2): 631-632.
16. Rasika DB, Mahendra AG, Subodh CP. Antiulcer Activity of Methanol Extract of Leaves of Bauhinia racemosa Linn (Leguminaceae). Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2011; 4 (1): 124-127.
17. Chandra Mohan RG, Sujatha D, Rupa VLS, Sindhu PES, Mallikarjuna RK, Venkateswarlu M. Study on Anti-Ulcer Activity of Daucus carota Juice. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2010; 3(2): 547-550.