Ashok A. Hajare, Girija A. Ghatge, Kiran S. Patil
Ashok A. Hajare1*, Girija A. Ghatge2, Kiran S. Patil3
1Department of Pharmaceutics, Bharati Vidyapeeth College of Pharmacy, Palus, Sangli - 416310, Maharashtra, India.
2Department of Pharmaceutics, Bharati Vidyapeeth College of Pharmacy, Kolhapur - 416013, Maharashtra, India.
3Department of Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance, Tatyasaheb Kore College of Pharmacy, Warnanagar, Kolhapur - 416113, Maharashtra, India.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 8,
Year - 2023
A selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) sertraline (SER) is one of the most often prescribed medications for the treatment of depression. The current study was aimed to develop a new, reliable, simple, and reproducible method for the estimation of SER in nanofiber formulation. The RP-HPLC method selected for estimation and validation was developed by choosing a mobile phase phosphoric acid (0.5%) and acetonitrile at the ratio 45: 55 %v/v, with a flow rate of 1 mL/min at a temperature of 30 ?. The linearity of the solution was detected at 274 nm within the concentration range from 20 -120 µg/mL with a correlation value (R2) of 0.999 indicating a very strong relationship between dependent and independent variables suggesting the accuracy of the method selected. The concentration of SER in nanofibers was determined by the currently developed method. Validation parameters were used to evaluate, specificity, linearity, sensitivity, accuracy, precision, and ruggedness. About 98-102 (%v/v) of SER was found to be within standard limits and compliant with the standards set by the International Council of Harmonization (ICH) demonstrating the accuracy of the method used. An ICH Q2 (R1) guideline gives guidance on validation for analytical techniques. The RP-HPLC method developed can be used effectively for the analysis of various pharmaceutical dosage forms containing SER.
Cite this article:
Ashok A. Hajare, Girija A. Ghatge, Kiran S. Patil. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for quantification of sertraline in nanofiber formulation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(8):3743-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00618
Ashok A. Hajare, Girija A. Ghatge, Kiran S. Patil. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for quantification of sertraline in nanofiber formulation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(8):3743-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00618 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-8-38
1. Rahman MA et al. Estimation of sertraline by chromatographic (HPLC-UV273 nm) technique under hydrolytic stress conditions. Pharmaceutical Methods. 2012; 3(2): 62-67.
2. Deying C et al. HPLC determination of sertraline in bulk drug, tablets and capsules using hydroxypropyl-β-cyclodextrin as mobile phase additive. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2004; 34(1): 239-245.
3. Rao RN et al. Separation of stereoisomers of sertraline and its related enantiomeric impurities on a dimethylated beta-cyclodextrin stationary phase by HPLC. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2009; 50(3):281-286. doi:10.1016/j.jpba.2009.04.038
4. Mandrioli R et al. HPLC analysis of the second-generation antidepressant sertraline and its main metabolite N-desmethylsertraline in human plasma. Journal of Chromatography B Analytical Technologies in the Biomedical Life Sciences. 2006; 836(1-2): 116-119.
5. Bhardwaj SK et al. A review: HPLC method development and validation. International Journal of Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry. 2015; 5(4): 76-81.
6. Eswarudu MM et al. Novel RP-HPLC Method for simultaneous estimation of doxofylline and sertraline in bulk and tablet dosage form. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2015; 8(8): 539-544.
7. Hajare AA, Powar TA. Development and validation of an HPLC- UV method for the determination of melphalan from lyophilized nanosuspension. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research. 2019; 53(02): 316-324.
8. Patil KS et al. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for estimation of camptothecin in mixed micelle formulation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(9): 4248-4252.
9. Patil KS et al. Spectrophotometric estimation of zolpidem in tablets. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2010; 2 (1):1-4.
10. Bosch ME et al. Analytical methodologies for the determination of sertraline. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2008; 48(5):1290-1302.
11. Ibrahim HM, Klingner A. A review on electrospun polymeric nanofibers: production parameters and potential applications. Polymer Testing. 2020; 90:106647.
12. Son YJ et al. Antibacterial nanofibrous mats composed of eudragit for pH-Dependent Dissolution. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015; 104(8): 2611-2618.
13. Yadav PS, Hajare AA and Patil KS. Development and validation of UV spectrophotometric method for doxazosin mesylate in bulk and tablets. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(6): 2675-2680.
14. Kirtawade R et al. Validated spectroscopic method for estimation of ibuprofen from tablet formulation. Archives of Pharmacal Research. 2010 ; 2(1):271-273.
15. Rao PS et al. Stability Indicating RP-HPLC Method development and validation for the determination of pretomanid an anti-bacterial drug. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2023; 16(5): 2385-2392.
16. Chaudhari V, Patil S, Pawar SP. Development and validation of RP-UHPLC method for determination of sertraline in bulk drug and dosage form. Journal of Analytical and Bioanalytical Technologies. 2022; 13(7): 469.
17. Seles KS et al. Development and validation of stability indicating assay for simultaneous determination of bupivacaine and meloxicam in bulk and pharmaceutical formulations by using RP-HPLC method. International Journal of Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry. 2022; 12(6): 117-131.
18. Patil S et al. Precision development and validation of RP-HPLC method for the estimation of sitagliptin phosphate in tablet dosage form. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2013;3(3):653-655.
19. Hajare AA et al. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for determination of doxorubicin hydrochloride from vacuum foam dried formulation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016; 9 (9):1352-1356.
20. Bavand SM et al. RP-HPLC method development and validation for determination of eptifibatide acetate in bulk drug substance and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2017;16(2):490-497.
21. Dilsha P et al. Validated RP – HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of tadalafil and dapoxetine in combined pharmaceutical dosage forms. International Journal of Current Science Research and Review. 2022;05(09):3558-3563.