Payal N. Vaja, Chetan H. Borkhataria, Moinuddin M. Soniwala, Vidhi K. Matariya
firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Payal N. Vaja1*, Chetan H. Borkhataria2, Moinuddin M. Soniwala3, Vidhi K. Matariya4
1Assistant Professor, School of Pharmacy, Dr. Subhash University, Junagadh (362001), Gujarat, India.
2Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmaceutics, B.K. Mody Government Pharmacy College, Rajkot (360003) Gujarat, India.
3Professor, Department of Pharmaceutics, B.K. Mody Government Pharmacy College, Rajkot (360003), Gujarat, India.
4Research Scholar, Department of Pharmaceutics, B.K. Mody Government Pharmacy College, Rajkot (360003), Gujarat, India.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 8,
Year - 2023
Objective: The main objective of the current research work was development and characterization of self-micro emulsifying drug delivery system of cilnidipine which is poorly water soluble drug. The improved solubility could offer improved dissolution as well as oral bioavailability. Method: Component excipients were selected based on the preliminary studies, capryol 90 and triacetin (1:1) selected as an oil, tween 80 selected as surfactant, transcutol p selected as co-surfactant based on the maximum solubility and better emulsification efficiency. The ternary phase diagram was constructed to identify the optimum composition of the formulation. Simplex centroid mixture design was applied for selection of optimized batch of SMEDDS. Capryol 90 and triacetin, tween 80 and transcutol p were taken as an independent variables X1, X2 & X3 respectively, while emulsification time (Y1) and % drug release at 2 minute (Y2) were taken as dependent variables. Optimized SMEDDS was evaluated based on % transmittance, emulsification time, globule size, PDI, % drug release, and cloud point. After that, SMEDDS were filled in capsule and short term stability study was done and SMEDDS compared with pure drug for dissolution profile. Result and discussion: Optimized batch containing capryol 90 and triacetin (1:1), tween 80 and transcutol p at a concentration of 10%, 67% and 23% respectively. The solubility of cilnidipine is increased by using capryol 90 and triacetin (1:1) as an oily phase. All the evaluation parameters of the optimized SMEDDS were met the acceptance criteria. Optimized batch of SMEDDS showed > 90% drug release within 2 minutes. Dissolution was improved as compared to the pure drug. Conclusion: A self-micro emulsifying drug delivery system of cilnidipine was developed successfully. Present work demonstrated for improving the dissolution of cilnidipine. This may lead to improved oral bioavailability of cilnidipine for the treatment of hypertension.
Cite this article:
Payal N. Vaja, Chetan H. Borkhataria, Moinuddin M. Soniwala, Vidhi K. Matariya. Development and characterization of self-micro emulsifying drug delivery system of cilnidipine using simplex centroid mixture design. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(8):3665-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00603
Payal N. Vaja, Chetan H. Borkhataria, Moinuddin M. Soniwala, Vidhi K. Matariya. Development and characterization of self-micro emulsifying drug delivery system of cilnidipine using simplex centroid mixture design. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(8):3665-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00603 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-8-23
1. Walker R, Whittlesea C. Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics E-Book: Elsevier Health Sciences; pp 201.
2. Joseph TD, Robert LT, Gary C. Y, et al. Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach: McGraw-Hill; 2005; pp 185.
3. NR Rau, Satish KN. Practical Guidelines for Hypertension Management. Section 3, chapter 17, pp 71-72.
4. Sarpal K, Pawar Y, Bansal A. Self-emulsifying drug delivery systems: a strategy to improve oral bioavailability. Current Research and Information on Pharmaceuticals Sciences. 2010; 11:42.
5. Dhiraj A. Khairnar, Avinash B. Darekar et al. A Review on Self- Micro Emulsifying Drug Delivery System: Evident to improve the oral bioavailability of hydrophobic drugs. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016; 6(2): 131-13410.5958/2231-5713.2016.00018.0
6. Renugopal. P, Sangeetha. S, Damodharan. N An Emerging Trend in Solid Self Micro Emulsifying Drug Delivery System. Research Journal of Pharmcy and Technology. 2020; 13(6): 3028-3034. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00535.1
7. Patil ,Vijay R. Mahajan. Self-Emulsifying Drug Delivery Systems (SEDDS): A Brief Review. Research Journal Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. and Technology. 2014;6(2): Page 134-139
8. Rahman MA, Hussain A, Hussain MS, et al. Role of excipients in successful development of self-emulsifying/microemulsifying drug delivery system (SEDDS/SMEDDS). Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy. 2013; 39(1):1–19. https://doi.org/10.3109/03639045.2012.660949
9. Sarita A, Tapan KG, Krishna T, et al. A Review on Novel Therapeutic Strategies for the Enhancement of Solubility for Hydrophobic Drugs through Lipid and Surfactant Based Self Micro Emulsifying Drug Delivery System: A Novel Approach. American Journal of Drug Discovery and Development. 2012; 2(4):143-183.10.3923/ajdd.2012.143.183
10. Katja CE, Alenka Z, Franc V, et al. Development of a solid self-microemulsifying drug delivery system (SMEDDS) for solubility enhancement of naproxen. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy. 2015; 41(9):1-10. https://doi.org/10.3109/03639045.2014.971031
11. Yang TL, Hsieh CM, M Meng LJ et al. Oleic Acid-Based Self Micro-Emulsifying Delivery System for Enhancing Antifungal Activities of Clotrimazole. Pharmaceutics. 2022; 14(3):478: 1-13. https://doi.org/10.3390/pharmaceutics14030478.
12. Gursoy RN, Cevik Ozge. Design, characterization and in vitro evaluation of SMEDDS containing an anticancer peptide, linear LyP-1. Pharmaceutical Development and Technology. 2014; 19(4): 486-490. https://doi.org/10.3109/10837450.2013.795170
13. HymaPonnaganti, Abbulu. KEnhanced Dissolution of Repaglinide: SMEDDS Formulation and In-vitro Evaluation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 7(11): Nov. 2014 Page 1246-1252
14. Arpana A, Kiran D, Jaydeep P et al. An Integrated QbD Based Approach Of SMEDDS And Liquisolid Compacts To Simultaneously Improve The Solubility And Processability of Hydrochlorthiazide. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology. 2021;61: 1-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jddst.2020.102162
15. Foram J, Vaishali L, Solubility Enhancement of Lurasidone Hydrochloride By Preparing SMEDDS. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015; 7(11):283-288.
16. Jill BS, Girish KJ, Abdel Wo. Formulation and Evaluation of Oral Self Microemulsifying Drug Delivery System Of Candesartan Cilexetil. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016; 8(5):238-243.
17. Aparna Khansili, Meenakshi Bajpai. Formulation, Evaluation and Characterization of Solid Self-Micro Emulsifying Drug Delivery System (Solid SMEDDS) containing Nifedipine. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2013; 6(3): 278-284
18. Himal Barakoti, Ananta Choudhury, Biplab Kumar Dey. An Outlook for a Novel Approach: Self-Micro Emulsifying Drug Delivery System (SMEDDS). Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(4): 2055-2064. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00340.8
19. Hitesh D, Nikita P, Komal P. Systematic development of DoE optimized Self-Microemulsifying Drug Delivery System of Zotepine. Journal of Microencapsulation. 2017; 34(3):308-318. https://doi.org/10.1080/02652048.2017.1324920
20. Sudhir TB, Sanjay JK, Ashwini RM et al. Design and development of SMEDDS for colon-specific drug delivery. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy. 2016;42(4):611-23.https://doi.org/10.3109/03639045.2015.1062510
21. Warke S, Warke P. Formulation Design and Evaluation of Self Micro Emulsifying Drug Delivery System. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2020; 12(2): 58-62. DOI: 10.5958/0975-4377.2020.00010.5
22. Chandrakar A, Sahu B, Sahu H, Dewangan J et al . Review on the formulation considerations needed to produce a stable Self micro Emulsifying Drug Delivery System (SMEDDS). Research Journal Pharmacy and Technology. 2017; 10(5): 1563-1570. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2017.00275.X
23. Shailesh TP, Harsh AJ, Chhaganbhai NP. Preparation and Characterization of Self-Microemulsifying Drug Delivery System of OlmesartanMedoxomil for Bioavailability Improvement. Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2013: 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/728425
24. Ghadge D, Yadav A, Gharge V. Design and Development of Solid Self-Microemulsifying Drug Delivery of Gefitinib. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 8 (4):193-199. DOI: 10.5958/2231-5713.2018.00031.4
25. Safhi M, Yagaina M. Development and validation of a Rapid Stability Indicating chromatographic determination of Cilnidipine in Bulk and Dosage form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013; 6(3): 296-299.