S. Shanthi, M. Sahina Begum, M.Senthuja
email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
S. Shanthi*, M. Sahina Begum, M.Senthuja
Department of Pharmacognosy, Sri Ramachandra Faculty of Pharmacy, Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research (DU), Porur, Chennai – 600116.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 8,
Year - 2023
Aging is an inevitable process for all living organisms. When the skin ages, Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) are generated, which results in an increase in Hyaluronidase, Collagenase and Elastase, further contributing to skin aging. Amalaki Rasayana (AR) which is a traditional Ayurvedic preparation was investigated to assess its anti-oxidant and anti-aging properties. In order to assess radical scavenging activity, plant extracts/formulations were tested for their ability to scavenge DPPH and nitric oxide radicals. The alcoholic extract was prepared with Amalaki Rasayana (AR) and used for phyto-chemical, anti- oxidant and anti- aging studies. The phyto-chemical screening revealed the presence of tannins, alkaloids and flavonoids. The in- vitro anti- oxidant activity of Amlaki Rasayana (AR) was carried out by DPPH and Nitric oxide radical scavenging assay method. The DPPH assay revealed the concentration dependent scavenging activity with the extract and the results are comparable with standard quercetin. The percentage inhibition was more at 1000 µg/ml of the ethanol extract in Nitric oxide scavenging assay. The in- vitro anti- aging potential was evaluated by anti- collagenase assay method using FALGPA as substrate. The ethanol extract exhibited significant inhibition on collagenase enzyme which was comparable to standard EDTA. The ethanol extract of Amlaki Rasayana (AR) showed significant anti- oxidant and anti- aging activity which may be attributed to phyto- constituents such as flavonoids, alkaloids and tannins. This study offers scientific validation of Amlaki Rasayana (AR) for anti- aging activity and can be recommended to be taken internally for aging problems.
Cite this article:
S. Shanthi, M. Sahina Begum, M.Senthuja. In- vitro Antioxidant and Anti-aging activity of a Traditional Ayurvedic Formulation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(8):3521-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00581
S. Shanthi, M. Sahina Begum, M.Senthuja. In- vitro Antioxidant and Anti-aging activity of a Traditional Ayurvedic Formulation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(8):3521-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00581 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-8-1
1. Ruta Ganceviciene, Aikaterini I. Liakou, Athanasios Theodoridis, Evgenia Makrantonaki, Christos C. Zouboulis. Skin anti-aging strategies. Dermatoendocrinol. 2012, 4(3): 308–319.
2. Juan Li, Chun-Xia Zhang, Yi-Mei Liu, Ke-Li Chen and Gang Chen. A comparative study of anti-aging properties and mechanism: resveratrol and caloric restriction. Oncotarget. 2017 Sep 12; 8(39): 65717–65729.
3. Ivana Binic, Viktor Lazarevic, Milanka Ljubenovic, Jelena Mojsa and Dusan Sokolovic. Skin Aging: Natural Weapons and Strategies. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2012; Vol 2013, Article ID 827248, 10 pages.
4. Wang K-H, Lin R-D, Hsu F-L, Huang Y-H, Chang H-C, Huang C-Y, Lee M-H: Cosmetic applications of selected traditional Chinese herbal medicines. J Ethnopharmacol. 2006, 106:353–359.
5. Irshad M, Chaudhuri PS: Oxidant-antioxidant system: role and significance in human body. Indian J Exp Biol. 2002, 40:1233–1239.
6. Patwardhan B. Adding life to years with ayurveda. J Ayurveda Integr Med. 2012; 3: 55–56
7. Sanjib Kumar Das, Anuradha Das, Banamali Das, Purnendu Panda, G. C. Bhuyan, Bipin Bihari Khuntia. Important uses of Amalaki (Emblica officinalis) in Indian system of Medicine with Pharmacological Evidence. Res. J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2017; 9(4): 202-206
8. Durga Devi M , Banu N. Anti-Proliferative activity of Chlorophyllin from Phyllanthus Emblica L. against MCF-7 and Vero Cell line. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(2): 516-524.
9. Ghazala Shaikh, Ganesh Deshmukh. A Review on Anti-aging and Whitening effect. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(10):5059-5066.
10. Krishna Kondragunta V, Karuppuraj V, Perumal K. Antioxidant activity and Folic acid content in indigenous isolates of Ganoderma lucidum. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2016; 6(4): 213-215.
11. Gokani RH, Rachchh MA, Lahiri SK, Santani DD, Shah MB. Evaluation of in vitro Anti-Oxidant Activity of Premna integrifolia Linn. Mant. Root. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2010; 2(3): 196-199.
12. Tamsyn SA Thring , Pauline Hili , and Declan P Naughton. Anti-collagenase, anti-elastase and anti-oxidant activities of extracts from 21 plants. BMC Complement Altern Med . 2009; 9: 27.
13. Jenkins G: Molecular mechanisms of skin aging. Mech Aging Dev. 2002, 123:801-810
14. Elayarani M, Shanmuganathan P, Muthukumaran P. In Vitro Anti-Oxidant Activity of the Various Extracts of Cassia auriculata L. Flower by UV Spectrophotometer. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 1(3): 2011; 70-72.
15. Pranita A. Argade, Mangesh A. Bhutkar, Chandrakant S. Magdum. Albizzia lebbeck extract mediated synthesis of Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles and study of its In-vitro Anti-diabetic and Anti-oxidant activity. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2019; 9(2):93-98.
16. Vikas Kumar, kumar A. Aneesh, K. Kshemada, Kumar G. S. Ajith, Raj S. S. Binil, Neha Deora. Amalaki rasayana, a traditional Indian drug enhances cardiac mitochondrial and contractile functions and improves cardiac function in rats with hypertrophy. Scientific Reports. 2017; 7(8588).
17. Inshah Ahmed, Nishat Ahmed, Saleha Ahmed, Fazil Ahmad, Abeer Mohammed Al-Subaie. Effect of Emblica officinalis (Amla) on Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) Induced Uterine Fibroids in Wistar Rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(6):2535-2539.
18. Serene Adak, Dipesh Chakraborty, Himangshu S. Maji, Satakshi Basu, Pradip Roy, Sutanuka Mitra, Nabanita Mukherjee, Samarendra Barik, Arunava Goswami. Comparison of the antimicrobial activity of the phyto-constituents obtained from the stem bark and leaf extracts of Phyllanthus emblica L. against different strains of Staphylococcus aureus and Salmonella typhi. Res. J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2018; 10(2): 53-60.
19. Kanive P. Guruprasad, Sweta Dash, Marigowda B. Shivakumar, Pavithra R. Shetty, Kothanahalli S. Raghu . Influence of Amalaki Rasayana on telomerase activity and telomere length in human blood mononuclear cells. J Ayurveda Integr Med. 2017; 8(2): 105–112
20. Bothiraja C, Mukesh B Shinde, Rajalakshmi S, Atmaram P Pawar. In Vitro Anti-HIV-Type 1 and Antioxidant activity of Emblica officinalis. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2 (3): 2009, 556-558.
21. Guruprasad KP, Dash S, Shivakumar MB, et al. Influence of Amalaki Rasayana on telomerase activity and telomere length in human blood mononuclear cells. J Ayurveda Integr Med. 2017; 8(2):105-112.
22. Tiwari V, Saba K, Veeraiah P, Jose J, Lakhotia SC, Patel AB. Amalaki Rasayana improved memory and neuronal metabolic activity in AbPP-PS1 mouse model of Alzheimer's disease. J Biosci. 2017;42(3):363-371.