Background: Gugglusterone has been reported to provide protection against inflammatory and oxidative reactions of different pathological conditions. Objectives: The main object of this research work is to evaluate the renoprotective effects of guggulsterone in the prevention of cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats via assessment of renal function and histological study. Materials and methods: Rats in this study were split into four groups which comprise a control group, an induction group, a third group receiving low-dose guggulsterone, and a fourth group receiving high-dose guggulsterone. Results: a single dose of cisplatin drug has jeopardisedrenal physiology that has been demonstrated in histopathology sections and elevation of serum creatinine and urea concentrations. However, concurrent use of Guggulsteronehas provided improved histological findings and significantly (P<0.05) reduced serum creatinine and urea levels compared to the positive control of cisplatin-induced damage. Conclusion:Guggulsteronehas provided a potentially reasonable protective kidney effect against vitiated insults.
Cite this article:
Ruya Ali Albayaty, Munaf Zalzala. Renoprotective effects of Guggulsterone against Cisplatin-Induced Kidney Damage in White Female Albino Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(5):2133-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00350
Ruya Ali Albayaty, Munaf Zalzala. Renoprotective effects of Guggulsterone against Cisplatin-Induced Kidney Damage in White Female Albino Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(5):2133-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00350 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-5-9
1. Syafika Alaydrus, Ajeng Diantini, Riezki Amalia, Sriwidodo, Anis Yohana Chaerunisa, Nasrul Wathoni. The Future Prospective: Potential Magnesium and Calcium for Detracting Side Effect Cisplatin. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(1):481-8.
2. YV Kishore Reddy, P Sreenivasula Reddy, MR Shivalinga. Protective Effects of Testosterone on Cisplatin Induced Impairment of Spermatogenesis and Steroidogenesis in Rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 3(2): April- June 2010; Page 535-539.
3. Abhirama BR, Shanmuga Sundaram Rajagopal, Mahadevan Nanjan. Nephroprotective effect of ethanol extract of Biophytum sensitive (Linn.) DC in cisplatin-induced experimental renal damage in rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(6): 1772-1779.
4. Ramandeep Singh, Ashutosh Upadhayay, M. K. Kale. Effect of Liposomes as a carrier on Pharmacokinetics of Cisplatin. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(11): 5073-5077.
5. Vinodkumar Mugada, Jyothipriya Hanumanthu, Juhi Shagufa, Sosamma Type, Sowmya Yerlapati. Assessment of Ototoxicity and Nephrotoxicity in patients receiving weekly Cisplatin Chemotherapy: A Prospective Observational Study. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(4):1922-1926.
6. Deng R. Therapeutic effects of guggul and its constituent guggulsterone: cardiovascular benefits. Cardiovasc DrugRev. 2007;25:375–390.
7. Wang X, Greilberger J, Ledinski G, Kager G, Paigen B, Jurgens G. The hypolipidemic natural product Commiphora mukul and its component guggulsterone inhibit oxidative modification of LDL. Atherosclerosis. 2004;172:239–246.
8. Signal CJ, Gonzalez FJ. Guggulsterone: an old approach to a new problem. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2002;13:275–276.
9. Yang JY, Della-Fera MA, Baile CA. Guggulsterone inhibits adipocyte differentiation and induces apoptosis in 3T3-L1 cells. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008;16:16–22.
10. Miller CN, Samuels JS, Azhar Y, Parmar A, Shahid haramurthy R, Rayalam S. Guggulsterone activates adipocyte beiging through direct effects on 3T3-L1 adipocytes and indirect effects mediated through RAW264.7 macrophages. Medicines (Basel). 2019;6:E22.
11. Abdullah SL, Al-Bayti AA, Mohammad J. Salih MJ, Merkhan MM. Histological and Biochemical Changes Associated with the Blockage of Serotonin Receptors in Sprague Dawley Albino Rats. Trop J Nat Prod Res. 2022; 6(8):1189-1192. doi.org/10.26538/tjnpr/v6i8.4
12. Abdulqader SW, Faisal IM, Saeed MG, Merkhan MM. Fluvoxamine Suppressed Oxidative Stress associated with Tissue Erosion. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022 Feb 1;15(2):819-24.
13. Abdulqader SW, Faisal IM, Saeed MG, Merkhan MM. Fluvoxamine Provide a Gastro-Protection Against Vitiated Insult. Indian Journal of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology. 2022 Jan 1;16(1):1047.
14. Boulikas T, Vougiouka M. Cisplatin and platinum drugs at the molecular level. Oncol Rep. 2003;10(6):1663–82.
15. Liu C, Zhou S, Bai W, Shi L, Li X. Protective effect of food derived nutrients on cisplatin nephrotoxicity and its mechanism. Food Funct. 2022;13(9):4839–60.
16. Miller RP, Tadagavadi RK, Ramesh G, Reeves WB. Mechanisms of cisplatin nephrotoxicity. Toxins (Basel). 2010;2(11):2490–518.
17. Dos Santos NAG, Rodrigues MAC, Martins NM, Dos Santos AC. Cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity and targets of nephroprotection: An update. Arch Toxicol. 2012;86(8):1233–50.
18. DeConti RC, Toftness BR, Lange RC, Creasey WA. Clinical and pharmacological studies with cis-diamminedichloroplatinum (II). Cancer Res. 1973;33(6):1310–5.
19. Pabla N, Dong Z. Cisplatin nephrotoxicity: mechanisms and renoprotective strategies. Kidney Int. 2008;73(9):994–1007.
20. Taguchi T, Nazneen A, Abid MR, Razzaque MS. Cisplatin-associated nephrotoxicity and pathological events. Cell Stress Responses Ren Dis. 2005;148:107–21.
21. Boulikas T, Vougiouka M. Cisplatin and platinum drugs at the molecular level. Oncol Rep. 2003;10(6):1663–82.
22. Seena K. X., M. Manjunath Setty. Protective effect of Phytochemicals against Cisplatin induced Nephrotoxicity. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3981-6.
23. Hardevinder Pal Singh, Thakur Gurjeet Singh, Randhir Singh. Attenuation of Cisplatin–Induced Nephrotoxicity by p-Coumaric Acid through Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor-Gamma (PPAR-γ) Agonism in male Rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(11):5270-5276
24. Bayyinatul Muchtaromah, Alif Q. A. Lailiyah, Silvia Aini, Romaidi, Tanjina Sharmin, Amaq Fadholly, Emy K. Sabdoningrum. Effect of Allium sativum, Curcuma mangga and Acorus calamus Combination on the Uterus and Hormonal Profile in Rat Induced by Cisplatin. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(11):5438-5442.
25. Allameh H, Fatemi I, Malayeri AR, Nesari A, Mehrzadi S, Goudarzi M. Pretreatment with berberine protects against cisplatin-induced renal injury in male Wistar rats. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 2020;393(10):1825–33.
26. Al-joda AM, Zalzala MH. Inhibition of NF-kB Pathway by Gggulsterone in the Protective Effects of Cyclophosphamide-Induced Renal Toxicity. Iraqi J Pharm Sci (P-ISSN 1683-3597, E-ISSN 2521-3512). 2019;28(2):180–5.
27. Shishodia S, Azu N, A Rosenzweig J, A Jackson D. Guggulsterone for chemoprevention of cancer. Curr Pharm Des. 2016;22(3):294–306.
28. Bhat AA, Prabhu KS, Kuttikrishnan S, Krishnankutty R, Babu J, Mohammad RM, Uddin S. Potential therapeutic targets of Guggulsterone in cancer. Nutrition & metabolism. 2017 Dec;14(1):1-1.
29. Girisa S, Parama D, Harsha C, Banik K, Kunnumakkara AB. Potential of guggulsterone, a farnesoid X receptor antagonist, in the prevention and treatment of cancer. Explor Target Antitumor Ther. 2020;1:313-42.