Manda Pravalika, Jorige Archana
Manda Pravalika1*, Jorige Archana2
1Department of Pharmaceutical Analysis, RBVRR Women’s College of Pharmacy, Hyderabad, Telangana, India. 500027.
2Department of Pharmacology, RBVRR Women’s College of Pharmacy, Hyderabad, Telangana, India, 500027.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 5,
Year - 2023
A simple spectrophotometric methods have been developed for the simultaneous estimation of sodium benzoate and caffeine from the food products Method-I simultaneous equation method involves the measurement of absorbance at two wavelengths 224nm (? max of sodium benzoate) and 274nm (? max of caffeine) using Water as diluent. Method – II Absorption ratio method involves the measurement of absorbance at two wavelengths 274nm (? max of caffeine) and 241nm (? max of Isobestic point). The method was validated as per ICH guideline rules in terms of accuracy (recovery study), precision, ruggedness, robustness and the validation parameters were within acceptable limits. The percentage recovery at various concentration levels varied from 99.5 to 100.6% for sodium benzoate and 99.3 to 98.3% for caffeine. Two popular soft drink brands were purchased from supermarket and evaluated for sodium benzoate and caffeine by simultaneous equation method and Q-absorption ratio method. The amount of sodium benzoate and caffeine found in sample 1is 150µg/ml and139µg/ml and in sample 2 is 179µg/ml and 190µg/ml respectively.
Cite this article:
Manda Pravalika, Jorige Archana. Simultenious Estimation of Sodium Benzoate and Caffeine in Soft Drinks by UV Spectroscopy. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(5):2436-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00401
Manda Pravalika, Jorige Archana. Simultenious Estimation of Sodium Benzoate and Caffeine in Soft Drinks by UV Spectroscopy. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(5):2436-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00401 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-5-60
1. Ahmad Bhawani S. Fong SS. Mohamad Ibrahim MN. Spectrophotometric analysis of caffeine. International Journal of Analytical Chemistry. 2015 https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/170239
2. Prisna JS L. Ornella M P. The Importance of UV-Vis Spectroscopy: Application in Food Products Characterization. Scho J Food & Nutr. 2018;. 1(3): SJFN. MS. ID.;111 http://dx.doi.org/10.32474/SJFN.2018.01.000111
3. Padarthi V. Vidyadhar KN. Durgasyam P. Manoj Y. Saranya MJ. Priya ML. Simultaneous estimation of caffeine and benzoic acid in soft drinks by using UV-Visible spectroscopy. World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2017; 6(5):749-755. DOI: 10.20959/wjpr20175-8328
4. Venu LN. Austin A. Study and quantification of preservative (E211) in corbonated soft drink samples. IOSR J Appl Chem. 2019;12(4):17-23.DOI: 10.9790/5736-1204011723
5. Antakli S. Alahmad A. Badingki H. Simultaneous Determination of Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate Preservatives in Foodstuffs Using High-Performance Liquid Chromatography. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2010;3(1):178-182. https://ajrconline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2010-3-1-46
6. Mazdeh FZ. Moradi Z. Moghaddam G. Moradi-Khatoonabadi Z. Aftabdari FE. Badaei P . Hajimahmoodi M. Determination of synthetic food colors, caffeine, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate in sports drinks. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2016;15(1):183-8. DOI: 10.4314/tjpr.v15i1.25
7. García-García R. and Searle, S.S. Preservatives: food use. 2016. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/301702632_Preservatives_Food_Use
8. Sultana A. Islam R. Islam MM. Shoeb M. Nahar N. Study of Preservatives and Stimulants in Commercial Soft Drinks. Bangladesh Pharmaceutical Journal. 2016;19(1):68-74. https://doi.org/10.3329/bpj.v19i1.29241
9. Islam MS. Hossain MS. Bhadra S. Rouf AS. Simultaneous determination of caffeine, preservatives and antioxidants in energy-and soft-drinks commercially available in Bangladesh. Dhaka University Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016;15 (1):97-108. https://doi.org/10.3329/dujps.v15i1.29203
10. Mohammed OJ. Hamzah MJ. Saeed AM. RP–HPLC Method Validation for Simultaneous Estimation of Paracetamol and Caffeine in Formulating Pharmaceutical Form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Sep 14; 14(9):4743-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00825
11. Kapupara P. Parekh D. Shah K. Method development and validation of Bronopol (Preservative) and its Stability Indicating Study by UV Spectrophotometry. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016;9 (7):916-8. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2016.00175.X
12. Pravalika M. Archana J. A New Validated Spectroscopic Method for the estimation of Sodium Benzoate in Soft drinks. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2022;12(1):13-16. DOI: 10.52711/2231-5675.2022.00003
13. Somya KV. Ravishankar K. Basha DP and Kiranmayi GVN. Estimation of caffeine and sodiun benzoate in caffeine and sodium benzoate injection by isoabsorption method (isobestic method). Int J Pharm Chem Biol Sci. 2011; 26-31. https://www.ijpcbs.com/articles/estimation-of-caffeine-and-sodium-benzoate-in-caffeine-and-sodium-benzoate-injection-by-isoabsorption-method-isobestic-m.pdf
14. Amos-Tautua W. Diepreye E. Ultra-violet Spectrophotometric Determination of Caffeine in Soft and Energy Drinks Available in Yenagoa, Nigeria. Adv J Food Sci Technol. 2014; 6: 155-158. DOI: 10.19026/AJFST.6.2 Corpus ID: 59069789
15. Spilling the beans: How much caffeine is too much. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/spilling-beans-how-much-caffeine-too-much. Accessed Sept. 20, 2019
16. Sneha S and Preetha R. Determination of sodium benzoate & potassium sorbate contamination in ready to serve products in post market surveillance in Chennai. Discovery. 2015 December 1; 51(240):176-183. http://www.discoveryjournals.org/discovery/current_issue/v47-51/n240/A8.pdf?
17. Sumithra M. Yuvanesh P. Mistry A. Analytical method development and validation of ambroxol hydrochloride by UV spectroscopy and forced degradation study and detection of stability. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016; 9(7): 794-800. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2016.00152.9