Prasad Patil, Nripesh Kumar Nrip, Ashok Hajare, Digvijay Hajare, Mahadev K. Patil, Rajesh Kanthe, Anil T. Gaikwad
Prasad Patil1, Nripesh Kumar Nrip2*, Ashok Hajare3, Digvijay Hajare4, Mahadev K. Patil5, Rajesh Kanthe6, Anil T. Gaikwad7
1,2,6,7Bharati Vidyapeeth Institute of Management, Kolhapur, Maharashtra, India – 416003.
3Bharati Vidyapeeth College of Pharmacy, Kolhapur, Maharashtra, India – 416013.
4Computer Science Department, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom - L69 3BX.
5Bharati Vidyapeeth Abhijit Kadam Institute of Management and Social Sciences, Solapur, Maharashtra – 413004.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2023
In the field of pharmaceuticals, artificial intelligence has the potential to revolutionize multitudes of aspects related with pharmaceutical field. In this article, we provide an overview of the benefits and applications of artificial intelligence in the pharmaceutical industry, including drug discovery, clinical trial design, personalized medicine, streamlining drug development, and enhancing drug safety. In addition, impact of artificial intelligence and its tools on pharmaceutical industry as well as major worldwide start-ups in this area has also been discussed. However, the adoption of AI in the pharmaceutical industry faces various challenges such as a lack of clear regulatory guidance, data privacy and security concerns, data quality and availability issues, and ethical considerations. Despite these challenges, continued investment and development in AI has the potential to significantly improve the efficiency and accuracy of drug development and improve patient outcomes. In conclusion, while AI holds great promise for the pharmaceutical industry, there are still significant challenges that must be overcome to fully realize it’s potential.
Cite this article:
Prasad Patil, Nripesh Kumar Nrip, Ashok Hajare, Digvijay Hajare, Mahadev K. Patil, Rajesh Kanthe, Anil T. Gaikwad. Artificial Intelligence and Tools in Pharmaceuticals: An Overview. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(4):2075-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00341
Prasad Patil, Nripesh Kumar Nrip, Ashok Hajare, Digvijay Hajare, Mahadev K. Patil, Rajesh Kanthe, Anil T. Gaikwad. Artificial Intelligence and Tools in Pharmaceuticals: An Overview. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(4):2075-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00341 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-4-90
1. Gupta R, Srivastava D, Sahu M, Tiwari S, Ambasta RK, Kumar P. AI to Deep Learning: Machine Intelligence Approach for Drug Discovery. Molecular Diversity. 2021 Aug; 25(3):1315-1360. doi: 10.1007/s11030-021-10217-3..
2. Yang X, Wang Y, Byrne R, Schneider G, Yang S. Concepts of Artificial Intelligence for Computer-Assisted Drug Discovery. Chemical Reviews. 2019 Sep 25; 119(18): 10520-10594. doi: 10.1021/acs.chemrev.8b00728.
3. Tripathi MK, Nath A, Singh TP, Ethayathulla AS, Kaur P. Evolving Scenario of Big Data and Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Drug Discovery. Molecular Diversity. 2021 Aug; 25(3): 1439-1460. doi: 10.1007/s11030-021-10256-w.
4. Patil P, Nrip NK, Hajare AA, et al. Study of Robotic Surgeries in India: Economical Aspects and Applications in Cancer Treatment. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2023; 16(1):429-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00073
5. Sahu A, Mishra J, Kushwaha N. Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Drugs and Pharmaceuticals. Combinatorial Chemistry and High Throughput Screening. 2022; 25(11):1818-1837. doi: 10.2174/1386207325666211207153943.
6. Tripathi N, Goshisht MK, Sahu SK, Arora C. Applications of Artificial Intelligence to Drug Design and Discovery in the Big Data Era: A Comprehensive Review. Molecular Diversity. 2021 Aug; 25(3):1643-1664. doi: 10.1007/s11030-021-10237-z.
7. Paul D, Sanap G, Shenoy S, Kalyane D, Kalia K, Tekade RK. Artificial Intelligence in Drug Discovery and Development. Drug Discovery Today. 2021 Jan; 26(1):80-93. doi: 10.1016/j.drudis.2020.10.010.
8. Patil KS, Hajare AA, Manjappa AS, et al. Design, development, in silico and in vitro characterization of Docetaxel-loaded TPGS/ Pluronic F108 mixed micelles for improved cancer treatment. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, 65, 2021, 10268, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jddst.2021.102685
9. Akhondzadeh S. The Importance of Clinical Trials in Drug Development. Avicenna Journal of Medical Biotechnology. 2016 Oct-Dec; 8(4):151. PMID: 27920881; PMCID: PMC5124250.
10. Zhong F, Xing J, Li X, Liu X, et al. Artificial intelligence in drug design. Sci China Life Sci. 2018 Oct;61(10):1191-1204. doi: 10.1007/s11427-018-9342-2.
11. Schork NJ. Artificial Intelligence and Personalized Medicine. Cancer Treat Res. 2019;178:265-283. doi: 10.1007/978-3-030-16391-4_11.
12. Awwalu, Jamilu, et al. Artificial Intelligence In Personalized Medicine Application of AI Algorithms in Solving Personalized Medicine Problems. International Journal of Computer Theory and Engineering. 2015 Dec.; 7(6), 439-443. doi: 10.7763/ijcte.2015.v7.999
13. Lamberti, Mary Jo, et al. A Study On The Application And Use Of Artificial Intelligence To Support Drug Development. Clinical Therapeutics 41.8 (2019): 1414-1426.
14. Lee JW, Maria-Solano MA, Lan VTN and Yoon SC. Big Data And Artificial Intelligence (AI) Methodologies For Computer-Aided Drug Design (CADD). Biochemical Society Transactions. 2022 Feb.; 50 (1): 241–252. doi: https://doi.org/10.1042/BST20211240
15. Basile AO, Yahi A, Tatonetti NP. Artificial Intelligence for Drug Toxicity and Safety. Trends in Pharmacological Science. 2019 Sep; 40(9):624-635. doi: 10.1016/j.tips.2019.07.005.
16. https://www.standigm.com/about/company (accessed on 10/01/2023)
17. https://www.cytoreason.com/company/ (accessed on 15/01/2023)
18. https://genomebiologics.com/technology (accessed on 08/02/2023)
19. https://bullfrogai.com/solutions/ (accessed on 08/02/2023)
20. https://www.causaly.com/company (accessed on 16/02/2023)
21. https://deepcure.ai/about-us/ (accessed on 09/03/2023)
22. https://polarisqb.com/mission/ (accessed on 16/03/2023)
23. Institute of Medicine (US) Roundtable on Research and Development of Drugs, Biologics, and Medical Devices; Davis JR, Nolan VP, Woodcock J, et al. (editors). Assuring Data Quality and Validity in Clinical Trials for Regulatory Decision Making: Workshop Report. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 1999. Introduction. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK224582/
24. https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/software-medical-device-samd/artificial-intelligence-and-machine-learning-software-medical-device (accessed on 08/03/2023)
25. Vokinger KN, Gasser U. Regulating AI in Medicine in the United States and Europe. Nature Machine Intelligence. 2021 Sep; 3(9):738-739. doi: 10.1038/s42256-021-00386-z.
26. Tormay P. Big Data in Pharmaceutical R&D: Creating a Sustainable R&D Engine. Pharmaceutical Medicine. 2015; 29(2):87-92. doi: 10.1007/s40290-015-0090-x.
27. https://veritytalks.com/the-majority-of-americans-not-comfortable-healthcare-survey-says/ (accessed on 10/03/2023)