Aravind Kalambettu, Nagaraj E, Abby Abraham, Dhanraj M Ganapathy, Rony T Kondody
firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
Aravind Kalambettu1, Nagaraj E2, Abby Abraham3, Dhanraj M Ganapathy4, Rony T Kondody5
1Department of Prosthodontics, SRM Dental College and Hospitals, Chennai.
2Department of Prosthodontics, PMNM Dental College and Hospitals, Bagalkot.
3Department of Prosthodontics, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Chennai.
4Department of Prosthodontics, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Chennai.
5Department of Orthodontics at Sri Rajiv Gandhi College of Dental Sciences, Bangalore.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2023
A systematic search on the use of acupuncture in controlling gag reflex in completely edentulous patients was done on the PubMed databases. A hand search was also performed in the Journal of Acupuncture and Meridian Studies, American Journal of Acupuncture from Jan 1965 to August 2019. The articles acquired from the above-mentioned databases were manually analyzed according to the pre-set inclusion and exclusion criteria independently. From the search results, four studies fulfilled the inclusion/exclusion criteria and were included in this review. There was a significant risk of bias and factual errors in the included studies. There was significant heterogeneity among the included studies and so a meta-analysis could not be done. Although the results showed a Cochrane review on gag reflex for patients undergoing dental treatment, it included very few completely edentulous patients. From the analysis of the articles included in this review, it was noted that there is insufficient evidence to recommend the use of acupuncture to control the gag reflex in completely edentulous patients. From the study, it could be concluded that completely edentulous geriatric patients, invariably present co-morbidity factors which would influence any medical or dental intervention. Considerable variation was observed in the protocols of the studies included in this review and the outcome measures. Further research is required to determine the effectiveness of acupuncture in controlling gag reflex in completely edentulous patients.
Cite this article:
Aravind Kalambettu, Nagaraj E, Abby Abraham, Dhanraj M Ganapathy, Rony T Kondody. Use of Acupuncture in Controlling Gag Reflex in Completely Edentulous Patients: A Systematic Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(4):2044-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00336
Aravind Kalambettu, Nagaraj E, Abby Abraham, Dhanraj M Ganapathy, Rony T Kondody. Use of Acupuncture in Controlling Gag Reflex in Completely Edentulous Patients: A Systematic Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(4):2044-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00336 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-4-85
1. Garg R, Singhal A, Agrawal K, Agrawal N. Managing endodontic patients with severe gag reflex by glossopharyngeal nerve block technique. J Endod 2014;40(9):1498-500. doi: 10.1016/j.joen.2014.01.028
2. Ardelean L, Bortun C, Motoc M. Gag reflex in dental practice-etiological aspects. TMJ 2003;53:312-315. doi: 10.7439/ijasr
3. Kumar S, Vora N, Faruqi S. Gag reflex: A dentist’s perspective. Int J Adv Sci Res. 2015;1:176-178. doi: https://doi.org/10.7439/ijasr.v1i4.1843
4. Scarborough D, Bailey-Van Kuren M, Hughes M. Altering the gag reflex via a palm pressure point. J Am Dent Asso. 2008; 139: 1365-1372. doi: 10.14219/jada.archive.2008.0048.
5. Yoshida H, Ayuse T, Ishizaka S, Ishitobi S, Nogami T, Oi K. Management of exaggerated gag reflex using intravenous sedation in prosthodontic treatment. The Tohoku J Exper Med. 2007;212:373-378. doi: 10.1620/tjem.212.373.
6. Haghighat A, Kaviani N, Jokar S, Soltani P, Ahmadi A. Evaluation of the effects of acupuncture on P6 and anti-gagging acupoints on the gag reflex. Dental Hypotheses. 2015; 6:19-22. doi: 10.4103/2155-8213.150866
7. Bassi GS, Humphris GM, Longman LP. The etiology and management of gagging: a review of the literature. J Prosth Dent. 2004; 91:459-467. doi: 10.1016/S0022391304000939.
8. Davies AE, Stone SP, Kidd D, MacMahon J. Pharyngeal sensation and gag reflex in healthy subjects. The Lancet. 1995; 345: 487 - 488. doi: 10.1016/s0140-6736(95)90584-7.
9. Felton DA. Edentulism and commorbid factors. Journal of Prosthodontics. 2009;18:88-96. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-849X.2009.00437.x.
10. Hermanowicz N. Cranial Nerves IX (Glossopharyngeal) and X (Vagus). In Textbook of Clinical Neurology, C.G. Goetz (ed), Elsevier Health Sciences. 2017.
11. Prashanti E, Sumanth KN, George RP, Karanth L, Soe HHK. Management of gag reflex for patients undergoing dental treatment. The Cochrane Library. 2015
12. Dickinson CM, Fiske J. A review of gagging problems in dentistry: 1. aetiology and classification. Dent Update. 2005;32:26–8. doi: 10.12968/denu.2005.32.1.26.
13. van Linden van den Heuvell GF, de Boer B, Ter Pelkwijk BJ. Bildt MM. Stegenga B. Development of the gagging problem assessment: a pilot study. J Oral Rehabil. 2008;35:196–202. doi: 10.1111/joor.12280.
14. Bilello G, Fregapane A. Gag reflex control through acupuncture: a case series. Accupuncture in Medicine 2013;31:349. doi: 10.1136/acupmed-2013-010377.
15. Naser K, Feizi G, Shirani A. Evaluation of the effect of inhalation sedation on gag reflex in hyperactive gag reflex patients during dental treatment. J Dent 2006;7:105-113
16. Murthy V, Yuvraj V, Nair PP, Thomas S, Krishna A, Cyriac S. Management of exaggerated gagging in prosthodontic patients using glossopharyngeal nerve block. BMJ case reports, 2011, bcr0720114493. doi: 10.1136/bcr.07.2011.4493.
17. Kramer RB, Braham RL. The management of the chronic or hysterical gagger. ASDC J Dent Child. 1977;44:111
18. Yamashiro M. Effectiveness of conscious sedation with a single benzodiazepine compared with a combination of drugs. Anesth Prog 1995;42:103
19. Barenboim SF, Dvoyris V, Kaufman E. Does Granisetron Eliminate the Gag Reflex? A Crossover, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Pilot Study. Anesth Prog 2009;56:3-8. doi: 10.2344/0003-3006-56.1.3
20. Ramsay DS, Weinstein P, Milgrom P, Getz T. Problematic gagging: principles of treatment. J Am Dent Asso 1987;114:178-183. doi: 10.14219/jada.archive.1987.0023
21. Lu DP, Lu GP, Reed 3rd JF. Acupuncture/ acupressure to treat gagging dental patients: a clinical study of anti-gagging effects. Gen Dent 1999;48:446-452
22. Rosted P. The use of acupuncture in dentistry. Aust Dental J. 1996;41:61
23. Vickers AJ. Can acupuncture have specific effects on health? A systematic review of acupuncture antiemesis trials. J Royal Soc Med. 1996;89:303-311 Doi:10.1177/014107689608900602
24. Fiske J, Dickenson C. The role of acupuncture in controlling the gagging reflex using a review of ten cases. Br Dent J. 2001;190:611–613. doi:10.1177/014107689608900602
25. Sari E, Sari T. The role of acupuncture in the treatment of orthodontic patients with a gagging reflex: A pilot study. Br Dent J 2010;208:E19. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.2010.483
26. Rosted P. Bundgaard M. Fiske J. Pedersen AML. The use of acupuncture in controlling the gag reflex in patients requiring an upper alginate impression: an audit. Bri Dent J. 2006;201: 721-725. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.4814305.
27. Zotelli VLR, Grillo MC, de Sousa Mda L. Nausea control by needling at acupuncture point Neiguan (PC6) during an intraoral impression-taking procedure. J Acupunct Meridian Stud. 2014;7:318-323. doi: 10.1016/j.jams.2014.04.009.
28. Ansari IH. Management for maxillary removable partial denture patients who gag. J Prosthet Dent. 1994;72:448. doi: 10.1016/0022-3913(94)90568-1.
29. Friedman MH, Weintraub MI. Temporary elimination of gag reflex for dental procedures. J Prosthet Dent. 1995;73:319. doi: 10.1016/s0022-3913(05)80213-6.
30. Schlager A. Offer T. Baldissera I. Laser stimulation of acupuncture point P6 reduces postoperative vomiting in children undergoing strabismus surgery. Br J Anaesth. 1998;81:529–532. doi: 10.1093/bja/81.4.529.
31. Veroux G, Perciavalle V. Fundamental and scientiﬁc research in acupuncture. Acupunct Med. 1988;5:12-14.
32. Ho RT. Jawan B. Fung ST. Cheung HK. Lee JH. Electro‐acupuncture and postoperative emesis. Anaesthesia. 1990;45:327-329. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2044.1990.tb14744.x.
33. Takahashi T. Mechanism of acupuncture on neuromodulation in the gut—A review. Neuromodulation:Technology at the Neural Interface. 2011;14:8-12. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1403.2010.00295.x
34. Michalek-Sauberer A, Gusenleitner E, Gleiss A, Tepper G, Deusch E. Auricular acupuncture effectively reduces state anxiety before dental treatment—a randomised controlled trial. Clinical oral investigations. 2012;16:1517-1522. doi: 10.1007/s00784-011-0662-4
35. White AR, Filshie J, Cummings TM. Clinical trials of acupuncture: consensus recommendations for optimal treatment, sham controls and blinding. Complement Ther Med. 2001;9:237-245. doi: 10.1054/ctim.2001.0489.
36. Mori H, Nishijo K, Kawamura H, Abo T. Unique immunomodulation by electro-acupuncture in humans possibly via stimulation of the autonomic nervous system. Neurosci Lett. 2002;320:21-24. doi: 10.1016/s0304-3940(02)00012-5.
37. Fassoulaki A, Paraskeva A. Patris K, Pourgiezi T. Kostopanagiotou G. Pressure applied on the extra 1 acupuncture point reduces bispectral index values and stress in volunteers.Anesth Analg. 2003;96:885-890.doi: 10.1213/01.ANE.0000048713.41657.D3.
38. Liu Z et al.,. Prophylactic and therapeutic effects of acupuncture on simple obesity complicated by cardiovascular diseases. J Tradit Chin Med. 1992;12:21-29.
39. Indra V. A Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Acupressure during Labour pain among Primigravida Mothers in Selected Hospitals, Puducherry. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management. 2017;5(2):99-104. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2017.00022.1
40. Swathy SV, Gowri S. Acupuncture and lower back pain. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2015;8(8):991-993. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2015.00165.1
41. Vignesh R, VM Padmapriya, Rajasekar G. Dentalgesian Chemistry: A Review on the Neurochemistry of pain in Dentistry. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020;13(11):5631-5634. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2020.00981.6
42. Vignesh R, VM Padmapriya, Rajasekar G. Dentalgesian Physiology: A Review on the Neurophysiology of pain in Dentistry. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021;14(1):482-486. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2021.00088.3
43. Ravinthar K, Jayalakshmi. Recent Advancements in Laminates and Veneers in Dentistry. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018;11(2):785-787. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00148.8
44. Manar J. Prosthodontic Considerations of Speech in Complete Denture. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018;11(11):5173-5178. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00945.9
45. Shenoy BP, Sengottaiyan VK. Knowledge and Awareness among Dental Students on the use of Neutral Zone Technique for Fabrication of Complete Dentures. Research J. Science and Tech. 2018; 10(4):261-269. doi: 10.5958/2349-2988.2018.00037.2
46. Vaishali S, Jain A. Knowledge, Attitude and Practice on Denture Magnets Among Dental Practitioners. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018;11(7):2985-2992. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00550.4
47. Kumar EN, Suresh V. Assessing the errors during the processing on complete denture. Research J. PNarm. and Tech 2016;9(12):2287-2294. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00461.3
48. Nandakumar E, Vinothkumar S. Comparison of Awareness and Knowledge among Dental students and Dental practitioners about the materials used in making secondary Impression for complete Denture. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2019;9(2):69-74. doi: 10.5958/2231-5713.2019.00012.6