Sandip Sutariya, Vidhi Pansuriya, Malika Sharma, AB Bajpai, Amit Gupta
Sandip Sutariya1, Vidhi Pansuriya2, Malika Sharma1, AB Bajpai3, Amit Gupta1*
1Department of Microbiology and Biotechnology, Graphic Era (Deemed to be) University, Dehradun.
2Infinity Pathology Laboratory, Katargam, Surat, Gujarat.
3Department of Botany, D.B.S. PG College, Dehradun.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2023
Secondary metabolites (i.e. flavonoids and terpenoids) were reported in most of the medicinal plant products and showing several immunopharmacological properties which is totally related with human healthcare. In this regard, flavonoids and terpenoids contained in leaves and fruit extract were identified and characterized through high performance thin layer chromatography (HPTLC). Further, immunopharmacological studies were explored and investigate its antimicrobial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity of flavonoids and terpenoids from the leaves and fruit extract of Gymnosporia montana. In this study, variable doses of flavonoids and terpenoids were taken into the consideration and studied various parameters. The results suggest that flavonoids and terpenoids at higher doses showed antimicrobial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity as compared to control. Overall, secondary metabolites exceptionally flavonoids and terpenoids which are being scrutinized and explored its antimicrobial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity leading to the outcome of new clinical drugs.
Cite this article:
Sandip Sutariya, Vidhi Pansuriya, Malika Sharma, AB Bajpai, Amit Gupta. Antimicrobial, Antioxidant and Anti-inflammatory potential of flavonoid and terpenoid from Gymnosporia montana. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(4):1945-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00319
Sandip Sutariya, Vidhi Pansuriya, Malika Sharma, AB Bajpai, Amit Gupta. Antimicrobial, Antioxidant and Anti-inflammatory potential of flavonoid and terpenoid from Gymnosporia montana. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(4):1945-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00319 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-4-68
1. Abd-Alla HI. Moharram FA. Gaara AH. El-Safty MM. Phytoconstituents of Jatropha curcas L. Leaves and their immunomodulatory activity on humoral and cell-mediated immune response in chicks. Zeitschrift fur Naturforsch C. 2009; 64 (7-8): 495–501. doi.org/ 10.1515/znc-2009-7-805
2. Jaiganesh KP. Jasna TJ. Tangavelou AC. Phytochemical, In vitro Anti-inflammatory and Antimicrobial Potential of Hugonia mystax L. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2021; 13(4):169-173. doi.org/10.52711/0975-4385.2021.00028
3. De S. Dave KK. Bhavsar GC. Phytochemical study of Gymnosporia montana. Indian J Pharma Sci. 1993; 55:110-112.
4. Akshaya KK. Srimannarayana G. Chemical constituents of leaves and roots of Gymnosporia montana. J Nat Prod. 1981; 44:625-8.
5. Nagaraju A. Karimulla S. Geobotany and biogeochemistry of Gymnosporia montana: A case study from Nellore Mica Belt, Andhra Pradesh. Environ Geol. 2001; 41:167-73. doi.org/10.1007/s002540100364
6. Bhavita D. Lakshmi B. Maitreyi Z. An Overview on Ethanomedicinal Plant Gymnosporia montana of Celestraceae Family. International Journal of Pharmacognosy and Chinese Medicine. 2017; 1(1):1-5.
7. Dhru B. Zaveri M. Lakshmi B. Pharmacognostical and phytochemical study of leaf of Gymnosporia montana (Vikalo). Journal of Global Pharma Technology. 2011; 3(1):22-27.
8. Sheela D. Cheenickal M. Total phenolics and flavonoids among the selected species of Syzygium, Gaertn. Res J Pharmacognosy and Phytochem. 2017; 9(2): 101-104.
9. Rindita A. Hanani E. Saidah N. Pharmacognostical, Preliminary Phytochemical Evaluation and Flavonoids Content of Paederia foetida Linn. Res J Pharmacognosy and Phytochem. 2019; 11(2):81-86.
10. Tiwari P. Patel RK. Total phenolics and flavonoids and antioxidant potential of Draksharishta Prepared by traditional and modern methods. Research J Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2012; 4(5): 244-249.
11. Shukla A. Choudhary A. Shukla RK. Kaur A. Isolation and identification of two triterpenoids from ethyl acetate extract of bark of Boehmeria rugulosa. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(6):2919-3. doi.org/10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00512
12. Shanaida M. Pryshlyak A. Golembiovska O. Determination of Triterpenoids in Some Lamiaceae Species. Research J Pharm and Tech. 2018; 11(7): 3113-3118. doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00571.1
13. Bound DJ. Murthy PS. Srinivas P. Synthesis and antibacterial properties of 2,3-dideoxyglucosides of terpene alcohols and phenols. Food Chem. 2015; 185(1):192-9. doi.org/ 10.1016/j.foodchem.2015.03.078
14. Wagner H. Baldt S. Plant Drug Analysis. A Thin Layer Chromatography Atlas, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2nd edition, 1996.
15. Badmanaban R. Patel CN. Devi P. Sen DJ. Modh KM. Studies on Antimicrobial and Anti-inflammatory activity of the Siddha Formulation (Thailam – Medicated oil). Research J Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2010; 2(1):83-88.
16. Shivakumar SI. Amreen B. Syeda S. Ansari F. Antimicrobial Activity of root extracts of Cyperus rotundus (Linn) using Diarrhoea Inducing Microbes. Research J Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2013; 5(4): 244-246.
17. Sathish R, Nachammai V. Pasupathi G. Senthilkumar M. In-Vitro antiulcer and antioxidant activity of Ethanolic extract of Ficus racemosa L. latex. Res J Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2018; 10(4): 159-162.
18. Mahapatra DK. Shivhare RS. Ugale VG. Anti-inflammatory potentials of some novel Murrayanine containing 1,3,4-Oxadiazole derivatives. Asian J Pharm Tech. 2018; 8 (1):47-51.
19. Alonso-Castro AJ. Villarreal ML. Salazar-Olivo LA. Gomez-Sanchez M. Dominguez F. Garcia-Carranca A. Mexican medicinal plants used for cancer treatment: pharmacological, phytochemical and ethnobotanical studies. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011; 133(3): 945-72. doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2010.11.055
20. Mondal S. Bandyopadhyay S. Ghosh MK. Mukhopadhyay S. Roy S. Mandal C. Natural products: promising resources for cancer drug discovery. Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2012; 12(1):49-75. doi.org/10.2174/187152012798764697
21. Yamin Y, Ruslin R. Mistriyani M. Fitrawan LOM. Sabarudin S. Muhammad A. Free Radical Scavenging Activity of extract and fraction of Okra seeds determined by DPPH (2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazy) method. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(4):2045-2048. doi.org/10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00363
22. Marref SE. Benkiki N. Melakhessou MA. In vitro Antioxidant activity, total phenolics and flavonoids contents of Gladiolus segetum extracts. Research J Pharm and Tech. 2018; 11(11): 5017-5023. doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00915.0