Nataliia Aliekperova, Iryna Kostiuk, Liliia Hala, Anastasia Biliaeva
Nataliia Aliekperova, Iryna Kostiuk, Liliia Hala, Anastasia Biliaeva
Department of Organization and Economics of Pharmacy, Bogomolets National Medical University, 13, T. Shevchenko blvd., Kyiv, 01601, Ukraine.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2023
The gradual liberalization of international and Ukrainian legislation regarding the circulation of cannabis-based medical products requires a more detailed study of the degree of awareness and attitude of various stakeholders, in particular, health professionals (pharmacists), to this issue. For this purpose, a survey was conducted, in which 563 Ukrainian pharmacy workers took part. It was revealed that the respondents largely share the "myths" about the dangerous narcotic properties of medical cannabis; two-thirds of them believe that all cannabinoids have psychotropic properties. Pharmacists are poorly aware of medicinal products containing herbal and synthetic cannabinoids, as well as medical indications for their use. Only 14.4% of surveyed pharmacists fully support the manufacture of cannabis preparations on the basis of pharmacies, following the example of the European Union countries. At the same time, almost half of the respondents approve of the legalization of medical cannabis in Ukraine, although they fear the risks of illegal turnover. The great majority of pharmacists consider it important to conduct scientific research, educational and awareness-raising activities on medical cannabis to improve the health and quality of life of Ukrainian patients.
Cite this article:
Nataliia Aliekperova, Iryna Kostiuk, Liliia Hala, Anastasia Biliaeva. Pharmacists’ Opinions on the Legalization of Medical Cannabis in Ukraine. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(4):1851-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00303
Nataliia Aliekperova, Iryna Kostiuk, Liliia Hala, Anastasia Biliaeva. Pharmacists’ Opinions on the Legalization of Medical Cannabis in Ukraine. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(4):1851-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00303 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-4-52
1. Medical Cannabis Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast. 2021-2026; 2021.
2. Knöss W. van de Velde M. Sandvos C. Cremer-Schaeffer P. Key elements of legal environments for medical use of cannabis in different countries. Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz. 2019; 62 (7), 855–860. DOI: 10.1007/s00103-019-02969-z.
3. Manthey J. Freeman TP. Kilian C. López-Pelayo H. Rehm J. Public health monitoring of cannabis use in Europe: prevalence of use, cannabis potency, and treatment rate. Lancet Reg Health Eur. 2021; 10:100227. DOI: 10.1016/j.lanepe.2021.100227.
4. World Health Organization (WHO), UN Commission on Narcotic Drugs reclassifies cannabis to recognize its therapeutic uses; 2020.
5. Decree of Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine №324 dated April 7, 2021, On amendments to the list of narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances and precursors; 2000.
6. European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction, Medical use of cannabis and cannabinoids: questions and answers for policymaking, Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union; 2018.
7. Borgelt L. Franson K. Nussbaum A. Wang G. The pharmacologic and clinical effects of medical cannabis. Pharmacotherapy. 2013; 33 (2), 195–209. DOI: 10.1002/phar.1187.
8. Nielsen S. Germanos R. Weier M. et al The Use of Cannabis and Cannabinoids in Treating Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis: a Systematic Review of Reviews. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2018; 18(2):8. doi:10.1007/s11910-018-0814-x. DOI: 10.1007/s11910-018-0814-x.
9. Lal S. Shekher A. Narula A. Abrahamse H. Gupta S. Cannabis and its constituents for cancer: History, biogenesis, chemistry and pharmacological activities. Pharmacol Res. 2021; 163:105302. doi: 10.1016/j.phrs.2020.105302.
10. N. Walliman, Socialresearch methods, London: SAGE publications; 2006.
11. Walsh J. Jelsma M. Blickman T. Bewley-Taylor D. The WHO’s first-ever critical review of cannabis, Policy brief TNI/WOLA/GDPO, 2019.
12. World Health Organisation, Expert Committee on Drug Dependence, Fortieth meeting: Cannabidiol (CBD) critical review report; 2018.
13. Choudhary N. Siddiqui M. Raoof K. Phytochemical aspect of Cannabis sativa (L.). Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2017; 103:1-36. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-45541-9_1.
14. Kumar T, Kumar S. Screening, Identification and Quantitation of Cannabis. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2009; 2 (4), 401–403.
15. Pathak T. Kumar R. Kaur J. Kumar K. Isolation of L-Asparaginase from Cannabis Sativa and Development of Biosensor for Detection of Asparagine in Leukemic Serum Samples. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2014; 7 (8), 850–855.
16. Devashree Y. The Phytotoxic Effect of Aqueous extract of Cannabis Sativa on the Germination and Growth of Cicerarietinum. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11 (11), 5096–5100. DOI : 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00930.7
17. Banerjee K. Pearline D. Kamat N. Thiagarajan N. Thiagarajan P. A green Hibiscus cannabinus oil emollient cream for potential topical applications. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9 (6), 735–740. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2016.00140.2.
18. Lucas C. Galettis P. Schneider J. The pharmacokinetics and the pharmacodynamics of cannabinoids. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2018; 84 (11), 2477–2482. DOI: 10.1111/bcp.13710.
19. Amin M. Ali D. Pharmacology of Medical Cannabis. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2019; 1162, 151–165. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-21737-2_8.
20. Lafaye G. Karila L. Blecha L. Cannabis, cannabinoids, and health. Dialogues in Clinical Neuroscience. 2017; 19 (3), 309–316. doi: 10.31887/DCNS.2017.19.3/glafaye.
21. Aswathi T. Venkateswaramurthy N. Sambath K. A Review on Relevance of Herbal Medications for Psychiatric Patient. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12 (7), 3151–3156. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00531.6.
22. Kaushik S. Satapathy T. Roy A. Gupta P. Purabiya P. Endocannabinoid activation and polycystic ovary syndrome: A systematic review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13 (1), 448–452. DOI: 10.3390/medicina56050237.
23. Brunetti P. Pichini S. Pacifici R. Busardò F. Del Rio A. Herbal Preparations of Medical Cannabis: A Vademecum for Prescribing Doctors. Medicina. 2020; 56 (5), 237. DOI: 10.3390/medicina56050237.
24. MacCallum C. Russo E. Practical considerations in medical cannabis administration and dosing. Eur J Intern Med. 2018; 49, 12–19. DOI: 10.1016/j.ejim.2018.01.004.
25. Farinon B. Molinari R. Costantini L. Merendino N. The seed of industrial hemp (Cannabis sativa L.): Nutritional Quality and Potential Functionality for Human Health and Nutrition. Nutrients. 2020; 12(7), 1935. DOI: 10.3390/nu12071935.
26. Usenko V. Kosyachenko K. The current state of use of cannabis compounds in the world medical practice. Health Technol Assess (HTA). 2019; 1, 27–40.
27. Doyle A. Harvey J. Cannabis and Epilepsy. J Dual Diagn. 2020; 16 (1), 75–82. DOI: 10.1080/15504263.2019.1645372
28. Huntsman R. Tang-Wai R. Shackelford A. Cannabis for Pediatric Epilepsy. J Clin Neurophysiol. 2020; 37(1), 2–8. DOI: 10.1097/WNP.0000000000000641.
29. Hser Y. Mooney L. Huang D. et al Reductions in cannabis use are associated with improvements in anxiety, depression, and sleep quality, but not quality of life. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2017; 81, 53–58. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsat.2017.07.012.
30. Orsolini L. Chiappini S. Volpe U. et al Use of Medicinal Cannabis and Synthetic Cannabinoids in Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): A Systematic Review. Medicina. 2019; 55(9). doi: 10.3390/medicina55090525
31. Janet J. Biju K. A Qualitative Study to Assess the Needs and Problems of High School Children with Asthma and Epilepsy. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management. 2015; 3 (1), 01–06.
32. Pavithra C. Swetha K. Romauld S. Brindhadevi P. A Review on Multiple Sclerosis and its Regimens. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13 (8), 3977–3982. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00703.9.
33. Gnanarani, J. Latha V. The Palliative Care Needs, Quality Of Life and Coping Strategies among Oncology Patients And End Stage Organ Disease. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2016; 13 (8), 371–376. DOI:10.5958/2349-2996.2016.00069.0.
34. Aliekperova N. Kosyachenko K. Kaniura O. Perspectives on formation of medical cannabis market in Ukraine based on holistic approach. J Cannabis Res. 2020; 2, 33. https://doi.org/10.1186/s42238-020-00044-y
35. Decree of Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine №770 dated May 6, 2000, On the approval of the schedule of narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances and precursors; 2000.
36. PubMed, Pubmed database; 2021.