Mary Tayar, Mohammad Haroon, Lujen Moazeen
Mary Tayar1*, Mohammad Haroon1, Lujen Moazeen2
1Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Drug Quality Control, Faculty of Pharmacy, Tishreen University, Lattakia, Syria.
2Department of Applied Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Damascus University, Damascus, Syria.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2023
A new simple and rapid spectrophotometric method for determination the accurate amount of vitamin C containedin pharmaceutical samples has been developed. The ferric chloride is reduced by vitamin C and then reacts with potassium ferricyanide to create a dark blue solution of Prussian blue. The resulted color was observant at the absorption wavelength of 697nm. Optimum reaction conditions of Ferric chloride, Potassium Ferricyanide concentrations, reaction time, temperature and pH where investigated. Influence of potential interfering substances were also examined.Analyzes of commercial pharmaceutical samples showed good correlation with the valuesgiven by the manufacturers and the results obtained by a titration method with Iodine. The apparent molar absorptivity value is found to be 3.25 × 103. The results of analysis have been validated statistically, with good correlation coefficient (0.999). The proposed method has better LOD and LOQ values than many methods used to determine vitamin C in pharmaceutical forms.
Cite this article:
Mary Tayar, Mohammad Haroon, Lujen Moazeen. Using and Validation of a new Spectrophotometric method for determination of Vitamin C in Pharmaceutical samples. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(4):1731-7. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00285
Mary Tayar, Mohammad Haroon, Lujen Moazeen. Using and Validation of a new Spectrophotometric method for determination of Vitamin C in Pharmaceutical samples. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(4):1731-7. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00285 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-4-33
1. Naidu, KA. Vitamin C in Human Health and Disease is still a mystery. An overview. Nutrition journal, 2003; 2(1): p. 1-10.
2. Salkić, M. and A. Selimović. Spectrophotometric determination of L-ascorbic acid in pharmaceuticals based on its oxidation by potassium peroxymonosulfate and hydrogen peroxide. Croatica Chemica Acta. 2015; 88(1): p. 73-79://dx.doi.org/10.5562/cca2551.
3. Fujita Y, Mori I, Yamaguchi T, Hoshino M, Shigemura Y, Shimano M. Spectrophotometric determination of ascorbic acid with iron (III) and p-carboxyphenylfluorone in a cationic surfactant micellar medium. Analytical Sciences. 2001; 17(7): p. 853-857. https://doi.org/10.2116/analsci.17.853.
4. Klepo L, Copra-Janicijevic A, and Kukoc-Modun L. A new indirect spectrofluorimetric method for determination of ascorbic acid with 2, 4, 6-Tripyridyl-S-Triazine in pharmaceutical samples. Molecules. 2016; 21(1): p. 101. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules21010101.
5. Teepoo S , Chumsaeng P, Jongjinakool S , Chantu K and Nolykad W. A new simple and rapid colorimetric screening test for semi-qualitative analysis of vitamin C in fruit juices based on Prussian blue. Journal of Applied Sciences. 2012; 12(6): p. 568-574. DOI : 10.3923/jas.2012.568.574.
6. Chambial, S, Dwivedi S, Shukla KK, Jhan PJ, Sharma P . Vitamin C in disease prevention and cure: an overview. Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry. 2013;28(4): p. 314-328.https://doi.org/10.1007/s12291-013-0375-3
7. Sofiana KD, Bunga P, Husnul K, Aris W. The Effect of Vitamin C towards Endothelial Dysfunction in CdCl2-induced HUVEC Culture. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11(3): p. 899-904. http://dx.doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00166.X.
8. Manasa M, Ravali A, Bargavi B, Mounica B, Lakshmi Prasanna V. Comparative Stability Study of Vitamin C present in Fresh Lemon Juice and Marketed Juice by Analytical Methods. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(10): p. 4724-4728. DOI:10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00814.X.
9. Kirtawade R, Pallavi S, Anita K, Pandurang D. Herbal antioxidant: Vitamin C. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2010; 3(1): p. 58-61.
10. Güçlü K, Sӧzgen K, Tütem E, Ӧzyürek M, Apak R. Spectrophotometric determination of ascorbic acid using copper (II)–neocuproine reagent in beverages and pharmaceuticals. Talanta. 2005;65(5): p. 1226-1232. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2004.08.048.
11. Desai AP, Desai S. UV spectroscopic method for determination of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) content in different fruits in south Gujarat Region. International Journal of Environmental Sciences and Natural Resources. 2019; 21(2): p. 41-44. DOI:10.19080/IJESNR.2019.21.556056.
12. Mohammed Q, Hamad W, and Mohammed E. Spectrophotometric determination of total vitamin C in some fruits and vegetables at Koya Area–Kurdistan Region/Iraq. Journal of Kirkuk University–Scientific Studies. 2009; 4(2).
13. Haroon, M. Using and validation of a novel spectrophotometric method for determination of ceftriaxone sodium in pharmaceutical dosage forms via its complexation with Cu (II). Tishreen University Journal for Research and Scientific Studies. 2017; 39: p. 277-291.
14. KathirvelS, Sahiti V, and Suneetha A. Spectrophotometric Estimation of Risedronate Sodium in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Formulations using Multivariate Technique. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2010; 3(4): p. 1209-1212.
15. Nimje HM, Oswal R, Kshirsagar S, Chavan M. Spectrophotometric analysis for estimation of felodipine in tablet dosage form by calibration curve method. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011; 4(12): p. 1805-1806.
16. Ensafi AA, Taei M, Khayamian T, Arabzadeh A . Highly selective determination of ascorbic acid, dopamine, and uric acid by differential pulse voltammetry using poly (sulfonazo III) modified glassy carbon electrode. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical. 2010;147(1): p. 213-221. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2010.02.048.
17. Pisoschi AM, Pop A, Serban AL, Fafaneata C. Electrochemical methods for ascorbic acid determination. Electrochimica Acta. 2014; 121: p. 443-460. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2013.12.127.
18. Arabali V, Ebrahimi M, Abbasghorbani M, Gupta VK, Farsi M,. Ganjali MR, Karimi F. Electrochemical determination of vitamin C in the presence of NADH using a CdO nanoparticle/ionic liquid modified carbon paste electrode as a sensor. Journal of Molecular Liquids. 2016; 213; p. 312-316. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2015.10.001.
19. Al-Taee AT, and Al-Hafidh AZ, Indirect Electrochemical Determination of Chlorpropamide Through Its Interaction with Valsartan Using Square Wave Voltammetry. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(12): p. 6541-6544.DOI: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.01131.
20. Al-Hyali RH. and Al-Taee AT. A New GE/MWCNTs/PFA modified electrode for simultaneous determination of catechol and hydroquinone. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(2): p. 828-832.DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00146.3
21. Romeu-Nadal M, Morera-Pans S, Castellote AL, Lopez-Sabater MC. Rapid high-performance liquid chromatographic method for Vitamin C determination in human milk versus an enzymatic method. Journal of Chromatography B. 2006; 830(1): p. 41-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2005.10.018.
22. Gazdik Z, Zitka O, Patrlova J, Adam V, Zehnalek J, Horna A, Rezniak V. Determination of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) using high performance liquid chromatography coupled with electrochemical detection. Sensors. 2008; 8(11): p. 7097-7112. https://doi.org/10.3390/s8117097.
23. Klimczak, I. and A. Gliszczyńska-Świgło. Comparison of UPLC and HPLC methods for determination of vitamin C. Food chemistry. 2015; 175: p. 100-105. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.11.104.
24. Safhi Mand Nagaraj MY. Development and validation of a Rapid Stability Indicating chromatographic determination of Cilnidipine in Bulk and Dosage form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013; 6(3): p. 296-299.
25. BhavnaniVS,Deshpande PB, Gandhi SV, Pawar P, Gaikwad AK. High Performance Thin Layer Chromatographic Determination of Metoprolol Succinate and Olmesartan in Combined Capsule Dosage Form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2012; 5(11): p. 1461-1464.
26. Dilgin, Y. and G. Nişli. Fluorimetric determination of ascorbic acid in vitamin C tablets using methylene blue. Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 2005; 53(10): p. 1251-1254. https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.53.1251.
27. Wu X, Diao Y, Sun C, Yang J, Wang Y, Sun S. Fluorimetric determination of ascorbic acid with o-phenylenediamine. Talanta. 2003; 59(1): p. 95-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0039-9140(02)00475-7.
28. Perez-Ruiz T, Martinez C, Tomas V, Fenol J. Fluorimetric determination of total ascorbic acid by a stopped-flow mixing technique. Analyst. 2001;126(8): p. 1436-1439. https://doi.org/10.1039/B102458M.
29. ZuroidahN, Tanzilia MF, Sunari IG, Wrahatnala BJ, Haki FK, Wardhani P, Husada M, Rohman A, Tarmizi SN et al. Comparison of Diagnostic Tests for Detection of Nonstructural-1 (NS1) Antigen Dengue virus using Immunochromatography and Fluorescence Immunoassay Methods. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022;15(4): p. 1494-1498.https://www.doi.org/10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00248.
30. Sultan, S. and Walmsley A. Simultaneous kinetic method for the determination of vitamin C, citrate and oxalate employing the Kalman filter. Anal Byst. 1997; 122(12): p. 1601-1604. https://doi.org/10.1039/A704302.
31. Ballesteros B, Barcelo D, Dankwardt A, Schneider P, Marco M.P. Evaluation of a field-test kit for triazine herbicides (SensioScreen® TR500) as a fast assay to detect pesticide contamination in water samples. Analytica Chimica Acta. 2003; 475(1-2): p. 105-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-2670(02)01026-7.
32. Khan AA, Khan HM, and Delincée H. DNA Comet Assay––a rapid screening method for detection of irradiated cereals and tree nuts. Food Control. 2005. 16(2): p. 141-146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2004.01.009.
33. Phillips TM, Seech AG, Lee H, Trevors J. Colorimetric assay for lindane dechlorination by bacteria. Journal of Microbiological Methods. 2001; 47(2): 181-188. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-7012(01)00299-8.
34. Jamal P, Alam MZ, Ramlan M, Salleh M,. Nadzir MM. Screening of Aspergillus for citric acid production from palm oil mill effluent. Biotechnology. 2005; 4(4): p. 275-278.
35. Kraft A. On the discovery and history of Prussian blue. Bull. Hist. Chem. 2008; 33(2): p. 61-67.
36. Bartoll J. The early use of Prussian blue in paintings. in Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on NDT of Art; 2008.
37. Munteanu IG, and Apetrei C. Analytical methods used in determining antioxidant activity: A review. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2021;22(7): p. 3380.
38. Koncki R. Chemical sensors and biosensors based on Prussian blues. Critical Reviews `in Analytical Chemistry. 2002; 32(1): p. 79-96. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms22073380.