Sunanda Rao. K, Ravishankar P. L, Vandana Vijayan, Prem Blaisie Rajula, Gayathri. K, Naveen Raj. S
Sunanda Rao. K1, Ravishankar P. L1, Vandana Vijayan1, Prem Blaisie Rajula1, Gayathri. K1, Naveen Raj. S2
1Dept of Periodontics, SRM Kattankulathur Dental College, Potheri 603203, Tamil Nadu, India.
2Dept of Prosthodontics, SRM Kattankulathur Dental College, Potheri 603203, Tamil Nadu, India.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2023
Aim: This study is to evaluate in vitro the efficiency of Triclosan and Aloe Vera dentifrices in reducing the contamination of toothbrush bristles by a standard strain of E.coli after brushing. Settings and Design: Methods and Material: Nine Toothbrushes were divided, randomly, into 3 brushing groups, with 3 toothbrushes in each group (i.e) no dentifrice, dentifrice containing Aloe vera (Danthkanthi(R)) and dentifrice containing Triclosan (Colgate total(R)) An initial culture was made with the standard strain of E.coli(ATGC 25922) in a nutrient broth which was incubated. The dentifrices were distributed over the bristles with the tip cut from its handle and brushing was performed for 1 min on autoclaved teeth. The trimmed bristles of each toothbrush were stored in individual test tubes which were kept incubated at 37°C for 48 hrs. Streaking was done in Nutrient Agar medium kept incubated at 37°C for 24 h. The number of colony forming units was manually counted. Results: The number colony forming units is highest in the control group and the least in Triclosan containing dentifrice. Conclusions: It can be concluded that both Aloe vera and Triclosan can be used as dentifrices that help reduce E.coli count on toothbrushes.
Cite this article:
Sunanda Rao. K, Ravishankar P. L, Vandana Vijayan, Prem Blaisie Rajula, Gayathri. K, Naveen Raj. S. Antimicrobial capacity of Triclosan and Aloe vera against E.coli strain (ATCC 25922) in Toothbrushes: An in vitro study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(4):1705-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00280
Sunanda Rao. K, Ravishankar P. L, Vandana Vijayan, Prem Blaisie Rajula, Gayathri. K, Naveen Raj. S. Antimicrobial capacity of Triclosan and Aloe vera against E.coli strain (ATCC 25922) in Toothbrushes: An in vitro study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(4):1705-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00280 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-4-28
1. Kallahalli Mruthyuenjaya Roopavathi, Sanjay Venu Gopal, Govindaraju Pushpalatha, Darshana Bennadi, Bhadravathi Virupaksha Renushri, et al. Antimicrobial Efficacy of Toothpastes. Journal of Young Pharmacists. 2015; Vol 7(3).doi:10.5530/jyp.2015.3.8.
2. Wetzel WE, Schaumburg C, Ansari F, Kroeger T, Sziegoleit A. Microbial contamination of toothbrushes with different principles of filament anchoring. Journal of American Dental Association. 2005; 136(6):758-64.doi: 10.14219/jada.archive.2005.0259.
3. Manupati Prasanth , Satya Narayana Ratha. Antimicrobial Property of Herbal Toothpastes: An In-Vitro Analysis. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2014; 6(1): 30-35.
4. Andiara De Rossi, Danielly Cunha Araújo Ferreira, Raquel Assed Bezerra da Silva, Alexandra Mussolino de Queiroz, Léa Assed Bezerra da Silva, et al. Antimicrobial Activity of Toothpastes Containing Natural Extracts, Chlorhexidine or Triclosan. Brazilian Dental Journal. 2014; 25(3): 186-190.DOI: 10.1590/0103-6440201300027.
5. Fine, D.H., Sreenivasan, P.K., McKiernan, M., Tischio-Bereski, D, Furgang, D. Whole mouth antimicrobial effects after oral hygiene: comparison of three dentifrice formulations. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2012: 39; 1056-64.DOI: 10.1111/j.1600-051X.2012.01938.x
6. Abhijeet Pandey, Jui V. Jagtap, S.A. Polshettiwar, B.S. Kuchekar. cFormulation and Evaluation of Antibacterial and Antifungal Activity of Herbal Gel Containing Aloe vera, Azadirachta indica and Lycopersicon esculentum Seed Extract.
7. Chithra P, Sajithlal GB, Chandrakasan G.Influence of aloe vera on the healing of dermal wound in diabetic rats. Journal of Ethnopharmacolgy 1998; 59:195-201.doi: 10.1016/s0378-8741(97)00124-4.
8. Ashwini S. Jadhav, Omkar A. Patil, Sampada V. Kadam, Dr. Mangesh A. Bhutkar. Review on Aloe Vera is used in Medicinal Plant. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2020; 10(1):26-30. doi: 10.5958/2231-5659.2020.00006.5
9. Patel D.S. , Shah P. B. , Managoli N. B.. Evaluation of In-vitro Anti-oxidant and Free Radical Scavenging activities of Withania somnifera and Aloe vera. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2(4): Oct. - Dec. 2012; Page 143-147.
10. Bunetel L, Tricot-Doleux S, Agnani G, Bonnaure-Mallet M. In vitro evaluation of the retention of three species of pathogenic microorganism by three different types of toothbrush. Oral Microbiol Immunol. 2000;15:313-6. doi: 10.1034/j.1399-302x.2000.150508.x.
11. Bhat SS, Hegde KS, George RM. Microbial contamination of tooth brushes and their decontamination. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2003 Sep;21(3).PMID: 14703217.
12. Nascimento AP, Faria G, Watanabe E, Ito IY. Efficacy of mouthrinse spray in inhibiting cariogenic biofilm formation on toothbrush bristles. Braz. J. Oral Sci.7(24):1489-95.
13. Kozai K, Iwai T, Miura K. Residual contamination of toothbrushes by microorganisms. ASDC Journal of Dentistry for Children. 1989 May-Jun;56(3):201-4. PMID: 2723207.
14. Rashminaik,Ahmed Mujib.Contaminated toothbrushes-potential threat to oral and general health.Journal of family medicine and primary care.2015;4(3):444-48.doi: 10.4103/2249-4863.161350
15. Hawley G, M, Hamilton F, A, Worthington H, V, Davies R, M, Holloway P, J, Davies T, G, H, Blinkhorn A, S: A 30-Month Study Investigating the Effect of Adding Triclosan/ Copolymer to a Fluoride Dentifrice. Caries Res 1995;29:163-167. doi: 10.1159/000262063
16. Fine HD, Furgang D, Bontá Y, Devizio W, Volpe AR, Reynolds H, Zambon JJ, Dunford RG. Efficacy of a triclosan/NaF dentifrice in the control of plaque and gingivitis and concurrent oral microflora monitoring. Am J Dent. 1998; 11:259-270.PMID: 10477976
17. Ciancio S.Improving oral health-current considerations. J Clin Periodontal 2003;30(5):4-6.https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-051X.30.s5.2.x.
18. Nelson-Filho P, Isper AR, Assed S, Faria G, Ito IY. Effect of triclosan dentifrice on toothbrush contamination. Pediatric dentistry. 2004 Jan 1;26(1):11-6.
19. McMurry LM, Oethinger M, Levy SB. Triclosan targets lipid synthesis. Nature. 1998 Aug;394(6693):531-2.
20. Garcia L, Cristiane S, Wilson M, Soraya M, Lopes RA, Mônica R, de Freitas O. Biocompatibility assessment of pastes containing Copaiba oilresin, propolis, and calcium hydroxide in the subcutaneous tissue of rats. Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD. 2011 Apr;14(2):108.
21. J. P. Heggers, G. R. Pineless ,M. C. Robson. Dermaide Aloe/Aloe vera Gel: Comparison of the Antimicrobial Effects.The American Journal of Medical Technology.1979 Jan 1;41(5):293-4.
22. Gautam D, Palkar P, Maule K, Singh S, Sawant G, Kuvalekar C, Rukari T, Jagtap VA. Preparation, Evaluation and Comparison of Herbal toothpaste with marketed Herbal toothpaste. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020;10(3):165-9.DOI:10.5958/2231-5713.2020.00028.8
23. Richard LW, Aloe vera gel: Update for dentistry, Pharmacology Today. 2005: 6-9.
24. Oliveira SM, Torres TC, Pereira SL, Mota OM, Carlos MX. Effect of a dentifrice containing Aloe vera on plaque and gingivitis control: A double-blind clinical study in humans. Journal of applied oral science. 2008 Aug;16(4):293-6.doi.org/10.1590/S1678-77572008000400012
25. Pradeep AR, Agarwal E, Naik SB. Clinical and microbiologic effects of commercially available dentifrice containing aloe vera: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Journal of periodontology. 2012 Jun;83(6):797-804.https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2011.110371
26. Gibraiel F, Rajput M, Rajput MS, Singh M, Saxena N, Vishal A, Jha AK. In vitro study to investigate the antimicrobial efficacy of different toothpastes and mouth rinses. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences. 2014;5(2):245-57.
27. Heath RJ, Rubin JR, Holland DR, Zhang E, Snow ME, Rock CO. Mechanism of triclosan inhibition of bacterial fatty acid synthesis. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 1999 Apr 16;274(16):11110-4. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.274.16.11110
28. Lawless J. The chemical composition of Aloe vera. Aloe vera natural wonder cure. 2000:161-71.