Zahraa H. Zaboon, Shaimaa M. Mohammed, Hayder A. Muhammed, Jabar A. Faraj
firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Zahraa H. Zaboon1, Shaimaa M. Mohammed1, Hayder A. Muhammed2, Jabar A. Faraj1
1Pharmacy Department, Al-Mustaqbal University College, Babylon, Iraq.
2College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Karbala, Karbala, Iraq.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2023
The lack of dedicated RV treatment makes early detection and effective vaccines important to prevent increased mortality and morbidity, as they can only be treated with fluid and electrolyte replacement. The study's goal was to assess the specificity and sensitivity of Reverse transcriptase PCR and Rapid immunochromatography techniques for Rotavirus detection. Between November 2020 and June 2021, 320 stool samples from children under the age of five were obtained at Babylon Teaching Hospital. Primary detection of Rotavirus contamination has executed the use of immunochromatography test (rapid test) LumiQuickAdeno-RotaVirus Antigen Comb takes a look at(Netherlands) and opposite transcriptase PCR in the detection of Rotavirus infection by means of using structural gene (vp4), the results discovered that Rotavirus became detected at a high rate in male stool samples (67.5%) rather than a girl (32.5%). December and Januarywere observed the biggest number of cases, with (46.6%) and (28.3%), respectively.The rural area had the highest rate of Rotavirus infection (56.6%), compared to (43.4%) in the urban area.The RT-PCR assay's excellent overall performance was also considered in its capability to identify Rotavirus RNA in 84 of 320 children's prevalence (26.25%).
Cite this article:
Zahraa H. Zaboon, Shaimaa M. Mohammed, Hayder A. Muhammed, Jabar A. Faraj. Evaluation of Two Assays Immunochromatography and RT-PCR for detection of Rotavirus in Iraqi Children. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(3):1355-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00223
Zahraa H. Zaboon, Shaimaa M. Mohammed, Hayder A. Muhammed, Jabar A. Faraj. Evaluation of Two Assays Immunochromatography and RT-PCR for detection of Rotavirus in Iraqi Children. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(3):1355-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00223 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-3-59
1. Yamada T, AlpersDH, KallooAN, Kaplowitz N, OwyangC, and Powell DW. Textbook of gastroenterology. John Wiley and Sons, 2011.
2. Liu L.et al. Global, regional, and national causes of under-5 mortality in 2000–15: an updated systematic analysis with implications for the Sustainable Development Goals. Lancet.2016;388(10063):3027-3035. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(16)31593-8.
3. Ranjan GK, Ranjan R. A Study to assess the knowledge regarding Prevention of Diarrhea among mothers of under five children at selected Hospital of Bhubaneswar. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2020; 10(4):445-448.
4. Sweetser S. Evaluating the patient with diarrhea: a case-based approach.Mayo Clin Proc. 2012; 87(6): 596–602. doi: 10.1016/j.mayocp.2012.02.015 .
5. ParasharUD, GibsonCJ, BreseeJS, and GlassRI.Rotavirus and severe childhood diarrhea. Emerg. Infect. Dis.2006; 12( 2):304–306. doi: 10.3201/eid1202.050006
6. PitzerVE. et al. Demographic variability, vaccination, and the spatiotemporal dynamics of rotavirus epidemics. Science 2009; 325( 5938): 290–294.
7. KhanQH, ShrivastavaPK. Epidemiological Investigation of Acute Diarrhoea (Gastroenteritis) and Vomiting Cases in Urban Palitana, Gujarat. Research J. Science and Tech. 2011; 3(6): 340-342.
8. Rojas MA, Gonçalves JS, Dias HG, Manchego A, and SantosN.Enteric Viral Infections among Domesticated South American.Camelids: First Detection of Mammalian Orthoreovirusin Camelids. Animals 2021, 11, 1455. doi.org/10.3390/ani11051455
9. C. J. Atchison, C. C. Tam, S. Hajat, W. van Pelt, J. M. Cowden, and B. A. Lopman, .Temperature-dependent transmission of rotavirus in Great. Proc. R. Soc. B (2010) 277, 933–942 doi:10.1098/rspb.2009.1755
10. PatelJ. A Descriptive Study to assess the level of Knowledge regarding Rota Virus Vaccine for Prevention of Diarrhea among Mothers of Under five Children in Rural Community of Mehsana District. Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2018; 6(2): 103-105.
11. EstesMKand GreenbergHB.Rotaviruses In: Knipe DM, Howley PM, editors, Fields Virol. 6th ed Philadelphia Lippincott Williams Wilkins, pp. 1347–1401, 2013.
12. MohammedAA, AminuM, AdoSA, JatauED, and EsonaMD.Prevalence of rotavirus among children under five years of age with diarrhea in Kaduna State, Nigeria. Niger. J. Paediatr.2016;. 43(4): 264–268.
13. HashimIA, AssiMA, and MuhammedHA.Detection Enteric Viral in the Newborn Causes Diarrhea in Al-Zahraa Hospital of Al-Najaf Government. Exec. Ed.2019;10(3): 484, 2019.
14. KimJ. et al. Evaluation of an immunochromatographic assay for the rapid and simultaneous detection of rotavirus and adenovirus in stool samples. Ann. Lab. Med.2014 ; 34(3): 216–222.
15. Akshay R. Yadav, Shrinivas K. Mohite. A Review on Zika Virus Infection. Res. J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech.2020; 12(4):295-297.
16. De BoerRF, OttA, KesztyüsB, and Kooistra-SmidAD.Improved detection of five major gastrointestinal pathogens by use of a molecular screening approach. J. Clin. Microbiol. 2010; 48(11): 4140–4146.
17. Laavanya VP, Jayasurya R, Kavitha N, Prabakaran G, Jayakumari S.A Review on Microcephaly Associated with Zika Fever in New Born Babies. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(1): 337-340.
18. . Hussein MA, Khammas EJ. Isolation and Identification of Avian Influenza Virus Sub type H9N2 in Poultry from Karbala City, Iraq. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(4):1919-1921.
19. ArmitageP, BerryG, and MatthewsJS. Statistical methods in medical research. John Wiley and Sons, 2008.
20. GunsonRN, MillerJ, LeonardA, and CarmanWF.Importance of PCR in the diagnosis and understanding of rotavirus illness in the community.Commun. Dis. public Heal.2003; 6( 1): 63–65.
21. DurmazR.et al. Prevalence of rotavirus genotypes in children younger than 5 years of age before the introduction of a universal rotavirus vaccination program: report of rotavirus surveillance in Turkey.PLoS One.2014 ;9( 12) :e113674.
22. Fischer, T. K., Bresee, J. S., and Glass, R. I. . Rotavirus vaccines and the prevention of hospital-acquired diarrhea in children. Vaccine. 2004;22: S49-S54.
23. Kargar, M., Zare, M., and Najafi, A. Molecular epidemiology of rotavirus strains circulating among children with gastroenteritis in Iran. Iranian journal of pediatrics.2012 ; 22(1):63.
24. Hashizume, M., Armstrong, B., Wagatsuma, Y., Faruque, A. S. G., Hayashi, T., and Sack, D. A. Rotavirus infections and climate variability in Dhaka, Bangladesh: a time-series analysis. Epidemiology and Infection. 2008; 136(9): 1281-1289.
25. Haruki, K., and Sherchand, J. B. Rotavirus diarrhoea in children and animals of urban and rural Nepal. Journal of Nepal Health Research Council.2004
26. Sherchand, J. B., and Haruki, K. Rotavirus diarrhoea in children and animals of urban and rural Nepal. J Nepal Health Res Counc. 2004;2(1):1-4
27. Zuroidah N, TanziliaMF,WrahatnalaBJ, Haki FN, Wardhani P, Husada D, Rohman A, Tarmizi SN. Comparison of Diagnostic Tests for Detection of Nonstructural-1(NS1) Antigen Dengue virus using Immunochromatography and Fluorescence Immunoassay Methods. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(4):1494-8.
28. Suha A. AL-Fakhar, Wifaq M. Ali, KhitamYahyaObaid, Khalil Ismail A Mohammed, SaadHasan Mohammed Ali, Jinan M. Mousa. Association of Circulating immune Complexes in the development of Visceral Leishmianisis. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(7): 3284-3288.
29. Prüss, A., Kay, D., Fewtrell, L., and Bartram, J. Estimating the burden of disease from water, sanitation, and hygiene at a global level. Environmental health perspectives.2002;110(5):537-542.
30. Samarbafzadeh, A., Tehrani, E. M., Makvandi, M., and Taremi, M. Epidemiological aspects of rotavirus infection in Ahwaz, Iran. Journal of health, population and nutrition.2005;245-249.
31. Alameedy FM. Diagnosis of Human Papillomavirus in Colorectal Cancer and Inhibition by Gamma Radiation. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(5):2182-2184.
32. Ibrahim, O. S., Sunderland, D., and Hart, C. A. Comparison of four methods for detection of rotavirus in faeces. Tropical doctor.2009;20(1):30-32.
33. Muhammid, H. A., AL-Shemmari, I. G. M., and Alkabi, M. A. S. Estimating the sensitivity and Specificity of Reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) with Rota virus latex agglutination test (VirogenRotatest) in calves suffering from diarrhea in Karbala province. Scientific Journal of Medical Research. 2017;1(04):110-114.