Jane Mathew, Neethu Mathew V
Jane Mathew1*, Neethu Mathew V1
1Nitte (Deemed to be University), NGSM Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences (NGSMIPS), Mangalore - 575018, Karnataka State.
1St. Joseph’s College of Pharmacy, Dharmagiri College Campus, Naipunnya Road, Cherthala, Alapuzha District, Kerala.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2023
Dolutegravir is an antiviral agent, a second-generation HIV integrase strand transfer inhibitor (INSTI). A precise liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry method has been developed and validated for the detection of potential degradants in Dolutegravir. The goal of this study was to detect major and minor potential degradants that can develop during the various stages of the drug molecule, start from acquiring of raw material for the synthesis, manufacturing, formulation and storage of the final product. With this objective in mind preparative scale HPLC was used to detect possible oxidative degradants in Dolutegravir. The oxidative degradation sample was isolated using Prominence preparative high performance liquid chromatograph equipped with a reverse phase C18 Inertsil ODS (300mm×19mm ×7µ) column. Mobile phase was 0.1% trifluoro acetic acid in water (A) and acetonitrile (B) (50:50). Ethyl acetate was used for the extraction of aqueous layer and the same was distilled and the collected fractions were evaporated to dryness for LCMS studies. To detect the degradation products mass spectra of the drug was established by direct infusion of degradant into mass spectrometry systems. The LC-MS spectrum of Dolutegravir was recorded by Shimadzu LCMS spectrometer in the electron spray ionization mode. The outcome was intense protonated molecular ion peak at m/z 304.27 and 249.06 in the positive ionization mode, scan range 120–560 amu and the other possible degradant structures with m/z 320.32, m/z 207.18, m/z 185.17, m/z 385.41, m/z 155.14. The information obtained from degradation behaviour of dolutegravir by stress degradation studies, under peroxide oxidation and the degradation products formed were identified by HPLC, LCMS analytical techniques are useful information regarding manufacturing, formulation and storage of the drug.
Cite this article:
Jane Mathew, Neethu Mathew V. RP-HPLC hyphenated with ESI -Q-TOF –MS for the detection of potential degradants in dolutegravir. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(3):1012-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00169
Jane Mathew, Neethu Mathew V. RP-HPLC hyphenated with ESI -Q-TOF –MS for the detection of potential degradants in dolutegravir. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(3):1012-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00169 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-3-5
1. National Center for Biotechnology Information. PubChem Database. Dolutegravir, CID=54726191
2. Kandel CE. Walmsley SL. Dolutegravir - a review of the pharmacology, efficacy, and safety in the treatment of HIV. Drug Des Devel Ther. 2015 Jul 7;9:3547-55. doi: 10.2147/DDDT.S84850.
3. Hare S. Smith SJ. Métifiot M. Jaxa-Chamiec A. Pommier Y. Hughes SH. Cherepanov P. Structural and functional analyses of the second-generation integrase strand transfer inhibitor dolutegravir (S/GSK1349572) Mol Pharmacol. 2011 Oct;80(4):565-72. doi: 10.1124/mol.111.073189.
4. Shubhangi VS, Veerendra. CY, Shitalkumar SP. A Review: Stability Indicating Forced Degradation Studies. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2019; 12(2):885-890. doi: 10.5958/0974- 360X.2019.00152.5
5. Basima Arous, Mhd Amer Al-Mardini. LC-MS method to Estimate the Relation between Drug Stability Study and Impurity Profile of Dabigatran etexilate. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(3): 1119-1130. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00210.X
6. SriLakshmi D, Jane T J. Validated Degradation studies for the estimation of Pyrazinamide, Ethambutol, Isoniazid and Rifampacin in a fixed dose combination by UPLC. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(7): 2869-2875. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00529.2
7. Neethu M, Jane TJ, Sreekanth N. Stability Indicating Degradation Behaviour of Artesunate Under stress conditions. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(12): 5587-5592. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.01016.8
8. The International conference on Harmonization. Validation of Analytical Procedure: Text and Methodology. 2005;Q2(R1).
9. The International conference on Harmonization. Stability testing of new drug substances and products. 2006;Q1A(R2).
10. Veeraswami B and Naveen VMK. Development and Validation Of RP-HPLC Method for the Estimation of Dolutegravir and Rilpivirine in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form and Its Application to Rat Plasma. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research.2019; 12(2): 267-71. doi:10.22159/ajpcr.2019.v12i2.29669.
11. Bennetto-Hood C. Tabolt G. Savina P and Acosta EP. A sensitive HPLC-MS/MS method for the determination of dolutegravir in human plasma,J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2014;945–946: 225–232. doi: 10.1016/j.jchromb.2013.11.054.
12. Grégoirea M. Deslandesa G. Renauda C. Bouquiéa R. Allaenac C. Raffic F. Jollieta P. A liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry assay for quantification of rilpivirine and dolutegravir in human plasma, J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2014;971:1–9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2014.09.006.
13. Chaudhari SR. High-Performance Liquid Chromatographic and High-Performance Thin-Layer Chromatographic Method for the Quantitative Estimation of Dolutegravir Sodium in Bulk Drug and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Sci Pharm. 2016;84(2):305-320. doi:10.3797/scipharm.1507-09
14. Maruthi R, Chandan R.S, Anand Kumar Tengli. LC-MS/MS and NMR Characterization of impurities in Epalrestat. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(1):11-13. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00003.2
15. Shubhangi V. Sutar, Veerendra. C. Yeligar, Shitalkumar S. Patil. Stability Indicating Forced Degradation Studies. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2019; 12(1): 429-433. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00078.7
16. Bhavar GB. Pekamwar SS. Aher KB. Thorat RS.Chaudhari SR. High-Performance Liquid Chromatographic and High-Performance Thin-Layer Chromatographic Method for the Quantitative Estimation of Dolutegravir Sodium in Bulk Drug and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Sci Pharm. 2016;84(2):305-320. doi:10.3797/scipharm.1507-09
17. Khaleel N. and Abdul RSK. Stability-Indicating RP-UPLC Method for the Simultaneous Determination of Dolutegravir and Rilpivirine in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form, Der Pharmacia Lettre. 2019; 11(2):29-39
18. Godela RGS. An effective stability indicating RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of Dolutegravir and Lamivudine in bulk and their tablet dosage form. Futur J Pharm Sci , Vol.6, Vol.9,Jan 2020. https://doi.org/10.1186/s43094-020-00026-0