Abdul Baseer Khan, Bhuvaneshwari J, Muhammad Arif
Abdul Baseer Khan1,2, Bhuvaneshwari J1, Muhammad Arif2*
1Deptt. of Pharmacognosy, Al Ameen College of Pharmacy, Bangalore - 560027, Karnataka, India.
2Faculty of Pharmacy, Integral University, Kursi Road, Lucknow, 226026, India.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2023
A modest and swift microwave-backed extraction process has been established for the abstraction of a flavonoid mangiferin from the Shoot bark of Mangifera indica L. The content in the extracts was quantified by planar chromatography. An orthogonal array strategy was employed to conclude the effects of variables that affect the efficiency of MAE, namely temperature, irradiation period, the clout of irradiation, and particle size of drug powder. Under optimal conditions, MAE showed expressively higher recovery of mangiferin and markdown in the extraction period as well as solvent intake in comparison to the conventional method.
Cite this article:
Abdul Baseer Khan, Bhuvaneshwari J, Muhammad Arif. Microwave Supported Extraction and Optimization of Flavonoid Mangiferin from Mangifera indica L. Stem Bark using Orthogonal Array Design. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(3):1113-7. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00185
Abdul Baseer Khan, Bhuvaneshwari J, Muhammad Arif. Microwave Supported Extraction and Optimization of Flavonoid Mangiferin from Mangifera indica L. Stem Bark using Orthogonal Array Design. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(3):1113-7. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00185 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-3-21
1. Wauthoz N., Balde A., Balde ES., Van Damme M., Duez P. Ethnopharmacology of Mangifera indica L. bark and pharmacological studies of its main C-glucosylxanthone, mangiferin. International Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2007, 1(2), 112-119, Corpus ID: 54713735.
2. Scartezzini P., Speroni E. Review on some plants of Indian traditional medicine with antioxidant activity. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 2000, 1, 23-43, 10.1016/s0378-8741(00)00213-0.
3. Muruganandan S., Gupta S., Kataria M., Lal J. Gupta PK. Mangiferin protects the streptozotocin-induced oxidative damage to cardiac and renal tissues in rats. Toxicology 2002, 176, 165-173, 10.1016/s0300-483x(02)00069-0.
4. Sanchez GM. Re L. Giuliani A.Nuñez-Selles AJ. Davison GP. Leon-Fernandez OS. Protective effects of Mangifera indica L. extract, mangiferin and selected antioxydants against TPA-induced biomolecules oxidation and peritoneal macrophage activation in mice. Pharmacological Research, 2000,42, 565-573, 10.1006/phrs.2000.0727.
5. Arivukkarasu R. Rajasekaran A. Hussain SHB., Ajnas M. Simultaneous detection of Rutin, Quercetin, Gallic acid, Caffeic acid, Ferulic acid, Coumarin, Mangiferin and Catechin in Hepatoprotective commercial herbal formulations by HPTLC technique. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, 2018 10(1), 59-62.
6. Yoshikawa M, Shimoda H, Nishida N, Takada M, Matsuda H. Salacia reticulata and its polyphenolic constituents with lipase inhibitory and lipolytic activities have mild antiobesity effects in rats. The Journal of Nutrition, 2002, 132, 1819-1824, 10.1093/jn/132.7.1819.
7. Zhu XM. Song JX. Huang ZZ. Whu YM. Yu MJ. Antiviral activity of mangiferin against herpes simplex virus type 2 in vitro. ZhongguoYaoli Xuebao,1993,14, 452-454.
8. Arivukkarasu R., Rajasekaran A. Detection and Quantification of Anti-oxidant markers like Rutin, Catechin, Quercetin, Gallic acid, Ellagic acid, Ferulic acid, Vitexin and Mangiferin in Herbal raw materials available in market belongs to Rutaceae family by HPTLC Technique. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis, 2021,11(2) 151-155, 10.52711/2231-5675.2021.00026.
9. Schieber A. Ullrich W. Carle R. Characterization of polyphenols in mango puree concentrate by HPLC with diode array and mass spectrometric detection. Innovative food science and emerging technologies 2000;1:161-166, 10.1016/S1466-8564(00)00015-1.
10. Upadhye M. Gandhi P. Phanse M. Pharmacognostical, Phytochemical Studies and Comparative Extraction Techniques of Daucus carota. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, 2014, 6(3), 115.
11. Arif M. Fareed S and Hussain MS. Estimation of antioxidant activity of microwave assisted extraction of total phenolics and flavonoids contents of the fruit Spondias mangifera. Asian Journal of Traditional Medicines, 2011, 6 (4) 146-155.
12. Krishnan C. Mullapudi V B K. & Garg N. Development of a single-step microwave-assisted digestion method using dilute nitric acid for determination of bismuth in bismuth-containing pharmaceuticals by hydride generation-atomic fluorescence spectrometry. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis, 2021, 11(2)87-7, 10.52711/2231-5675.2021.00017.
13. Arif M. Zaman K and Fareed S. Pharmacognostical studies and evaluation of total phenolic contents of trunk bark of Spondias mangifera Willd. Natural Product Radiance, 2009; 8(2):146-150. 10.2298/ABS1102413S
14. Razi S B. Zaaeri F. &Javar H A. An HPLC Method for detection of Anti-inflammatory Drugs in Bone and Cartilage health supplements. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis, 2020, 10(2), 67-76.
15. Singh P. Arif M. Qadir A. &Kannojia P. Simultaneous analytical efficiency evaluation using an HPTLC method for the analysis of syringic acid and vanillic acid and their anti-oxidant capacity from methanol extract of Ricinus communis L. and Euphorbia hirta L. Journal of AOAC International, 2021, 104(4), 1188-1195, 10.1093/jaoacint/qsaa171.
16. Karpakavalli M. Badami S. Allimalarkodi S., Christi V E. Microwave Assisted Isolation of Dye from Heartwood of Artocarpous heterophyllus Lam. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, 2010, 2(4), 303-305.
17. Kwon JH., Lee GD., Bélanger JM., Jocelyn Paré JR. Effect of ethanol concentration on the efficiency of extraction of ginseng saponins when using a microwave‐assisted process (MAP™). International journal of food science & technology, 2003, 38(5), 615-622.
18. Selvam TP., Saravanan G., Prakash CR., Kumar PD. Microwave-Assisted synthesis, characterization and biological activity of novel pyrazole derivatives. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2011, 1(4), 126-129.
19. Ehsan S., Khan B. Conventional and microwave-assisted synthesis of 5-halogeno-(X) 2, 4-(1H, 3H) pyrimidinedione and their biological evaluation. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry, 2010, 3(4), 1103-1106.
20. Dinesh D., Rishipathak Trupti A., Jadhav Sonal P., Tathe Pavan B. Udavant. Microwave Assisted Synthesis and Pharmacological Evaluation of Few 4-Quinazolinone