Gemifloxacin is a new broad-spectrum quinolone antibacterial with activity against both Gram-negative and Gram-positive organisms. A new stability indicating RP-UFLC method was proposed for the estimation of Gemifloxacin in pharmaceutical dosage forms (tablets). Shimadzu Model CBM-20A/20 Alite UFLC system with PDA detector and Zorbox C18 column were used for the chromatographic study. Mobile phase mixture consisting of Tetra butyl ammonium hydrogen sulphate and Acetonitrile in the ratio 68: 32, v/v with a flow rate 0.8 mL/min was chosen for the chromatographic elution of Gemifloxacin (Detection wavelength 273 nm). The method was linear over the concentration range 0.02-200 mg/ml with linear regression equation, y = 207068x + 19935 (R² = 0.9999). The LOD and LOQ were found to be 0.0553 mg/ml and 0.1693 respectively. Forced degradation studies were performed and the method was validated as per ICH guidelines.
Cite this article:
Jajili Eluru, Mukthinuthalapati Mathrusri Annapurna. A new stability indicating RP-UFLC method for the quantification of Gemifloxacin tablets using an ion pairing agent. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(2):893-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00151
Jajili Eluru, Mukthinuthalapati Mathrusri Annapurna. A new stability indicating RP-UFLC method for the quantification of Gemifloxacin tablets using an ion pairing agent. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(2):893-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00151 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-2-70
1. Oh JI, Paek KS, Ahn MJ, Kim MY, Hong CY, Kim IC and Kwak JH. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother 1996; 40: 1564-1568.
2. Danta Chhanda Charan and Sahu Satyabrata. Simple and rapid spectrophotometric estimation of Gemifloxacin Mesylate in bulk and tablet formulations. Int J Phar Tech Res 2011; 3(1): 133-135.
3. Jyothirmayee D, Sai Babu GS, Devala Rao G. Spectrophotometric Determination of Gemifloxacin in Pharmaceutical Formulations. Asian J Chem 2010; 22(2): 1634-1636.
4. Madhuri D, Chandrasekhar KB, Devanna N, Somasekhar G. Direct and derivative spectrophotometric estimation of Gemifloxacin by chelation with Palladium (II) ion. Rasayan J Chem 2010; 3(1): 9-15.
5. Rote AR, Pingle SP. Reverse phase-HPLC and HPTLC methods for determination of gemifloxacin mesylate in human plasma. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2009; 877(29): 3719-3723.
6. Zidan D, Ismaiel OA, Hassan WS and Shalaby A. Rapid and validated HPLC-UV method for determination of Gemifloxacin in human urine. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2015; 7(7): 104-108.
7. Doyle E, Fowles SE, McDonnell DF, McCarthy R, White SA. Rapid determination of Gemifloxacin in human plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B Biomed Sci Appl. 2000; 746(2): 191-198.
8. Al-Hadiya BM, Khady AA, Mostafa GA. Validated liquid chromatographic-fluorescence method for the quantitation of Gemifloxacin in human plasma. Talanta. 2010; 83(1): 110-116.
9. Rao RN, Naidu ChG, Prasad KG, Narasimha R. Development and validation of a RP-HPLC method for stability-indicating assay of gemifloxacin mesylate including identification of related substances by LC-ESI-MS/MS, 1H and 13C NMR spectroscopy. Biomed Chromatogr. 2011; 25(11): 1222-1229.
10. Ravisankar P, Devala Rao G, Devadasu C, Afzal Basha SK, Sandhya Rani N and Srinivasa Babu P. A validated RP-HPLC method for the determination of Gemifloxacin in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage forms. J Chem Pharm Sci 2013; 6(1): 46-54.
11. Rudrapal M, Hussain N, Method development and validation of Gemifloxacin in tablet dosage form by RP-HPLC, Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2020; 10(4): 97-101.
12. Yunoos Mohammad, Pragati Kumar B, Azmath Hussain and Harish. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for the estimation of Gemifloxacin mesylate in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage forms. E-Journal of Chemistry 2010; 7(4): 1621-1627.
13. Panda SS, Ravi Kumar BVV, Mohanta G, Patel PK. Reverse phase ultra-fast liquid chromatographic method for determination of Gemifloxacin mesylate in tablet dosage form. J Pharma SciTech 2012; 2(1): 20-25.
14. Cho SI, Shim J, Kim MS, Kim YK and Chung DS. Online sample cleanup and chiral separation of Gemifloxacin in a urinary solution using chiral crown ether as a chiral selector in microchip electrophoresis. Journal of Chromatography A 2004; 1055: 241-245.
15. ICH Q2 (R1) Validation of analytical procedures: Text and methodology (2005).
16. ICH Q1A (R2) Stability testing of new drug substances and products (2003).