Andrographis paniculata is widely used plant in Southeast Asia, China and India as a healthy food, it contains andrographolide as a pharmacologically active constituent isolated from leaves and roots of Andrographis paniculata and has got wide therapeutic potential including anti-inflammatory, antiviral and hepatoprotective activity but its bioavailability is limited due to its poor solubility, rapid clearance rate and high plasma protein binding. Several attempts involving formulation of liposomes, noisome, nanoparticles, micro emulsions and solid lipid nanoparticle have been done to perk up its solubility and hence bioavailability. The aim of the proposed work is to formulate Phytosomes of methanolic extract of leaves of Andrographis paniculate. The Phytosomes were formulated using thin film hydration technique with varying molar ratios of phospholipid and extract of leaves of Andrographis paniculate. Formulated Phytosomes were characterized for particle size and size distribution, entrapment efficiency, in-vitro drug release characteristics, scanning electron microscopy and FTIR analysis.
Cite this article:
Vandana Saini, Rajni Bala, Sandeep Arora. Formulation and Evaluation of Phyto-phospholipid complex of Methanolic Extract of leaves of Andrographis paniculate. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(2):830-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00141
Vandana Saini, Rajni Bala, Sandeep Arora. Formulation and Evaluation of Phyto-phospholipid complex of Methanolic Extract of leaves of Andrographis paniculate. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(2):830-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00141 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-2-60
1. Rayate Y. Shewale S. Patil A. Nitalikar M. Mohite S. Phytosomes-A Novel Approach in Herbal Drug Delivery System. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Science. 2018; 8(3):151- 154..doi.org/10.5958/2231-5659.2018.00027.9
2. Kalita B. Das MK and Sharma AK. A Novel Phytosomes formulations in making herbal extracts more effective. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013; 6(11): 1295-1301.
3. Madhavi Sahu, S. Prakash Rao. Review Literature: Andrographis paniculata. Research Journal of Pharmacolgy and Pharmacodynamics.2018; 10(4): 166-170. 10.5958/2321-5836.2018.00031.9
4. Pushpendra K. Patel, Narendra K. Prajapati, B.K. Dubey. Hepatotoxicity: Causes, Symptoms and Herbal Remedies. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2012; 4(2): 104-111. 10.5958/0975-4385
5. Kuamwat R S. Mruthunjaya K. Gupta M K.. Hepatoprotective effect of Gallic acid and Gallic acid Phytosome against carbon tetrachloride induced damage in albino rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2012; 5(5): 677-681.
6. Selvaraju K. Arul kumaran KSG. Karthick K . Vengadesh Prabhu K. Padma Preetha J. Arrivukkarasu R. Phytosomes – An Advanced Herbal Technology. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2011; 3(5): 191-194 .
7. Pande S. D. et al. Preparation and evaluation of Phytosomes of pomegrane peel. Research Journal of Pharmacy andTechnology. 2015; 8(4): 416-422. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2015.00070.0
8. Singh D, Upadhyay P, Upadhyay S. Phytosomes: an advanced drug delivery system for herbal drug. Global Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018; 6(1): 1-2. DOI: 10.19080/GJPPS.2018.06.555679
9. Premlata R S. Prakash R. Amit R. Trilochan S. Vijay S. Parag J. Hepatoprotective Activity of Isolated Herbal Compounds. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2014; 7(2): 229-234.
10. Patel C J. Tyagi S. Yadav A. Phytosomes a current trend for enhancement of Bioavailability of Polar Phytoconstituents. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Form and Technology 2014; 6 (1): 44-49.
11. Singh AK, Singh A. Phyto-Phospholipid complexes: A potential novel carrier system for improving bioavailability of Phytoconstituents. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(2): 1059-1066. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00195.X
12. Selvanayaki R. Ananthi T. Hepatoprotective Activity of Aqueous Extract of Lawsonia inermis against Paracetamol Induced Rats. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2012; 2(2): 75-77.