Background and Objective: Cyclophosphamide is a well-known alkylating anticancer drug that is used to treat a variety of cancers, both malignant and non-malignant. Cyclophosphamide can have a number of side effects, including oral toxicity. Rosuvastatin, a statin, has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties in addition to its anti-hyperlipidemic properties. The goal of this trial was to see if rosuvastatin could help prevent cyclophosphamide-induced tongue lesions. Methods: Twenty-four Wister-albino rats, weighing 300-400grams and aged 12-16 weeks, were used. The animals were divided into three groups: group I considered as control. Group 2 was given cyclophosphamide 150mg\kg and in group 3 was given cyclophosphamide 150mg/kg, and rosuvastatin (20mg/kg). The microscopic parameter was estimated, and the oxidative stress marker malondialdehyde (MDA) in the tongue was measured. On day 15, the animals (eight per group) were slaughtered, and the tongue was removed from the oral cavity for histological and immunohistochemical investigation. Results: At day 15, rosuvastatin significantly reduced the severity of the cyclophosphamide-induced tongue lesion in terms of histological score and immunohistochemistry expression of MDA (P 0.05). Conclusion: Rosuvastatin, at a dose of 20mg/kg/day, provided antioxidant and histological grade-reducing protection against cyclophosphamide-induced tongue lesion, and hence could be utilized as a preventive drug against cyclophosphamide-induced tongue lesion.
Cite this article:
Jawnaa K. Mammdoh, Rana KA Attarbashee, Alhan DH Al mola. Protective effect of rosuvastatin on cyclophosphamide-induced oral toxicity in rats: Histological and immunohistochemical Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(2):759-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00129
Jawnaa K. Mammdoh, Rana KA Attarbashee, Alhan DH Al mola. Protective effect of rosuvastatin on cyclophosphamide-induced oral toxicity in rats: Histological and immunohistochemical Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(2):759-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00129 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-2-48
1. Johnson DB, Abdalla FM. Evaluation of the Chemoprotective Activity of 70% Methanolic Extract of Gmelina arborea Stem Bark against Cyclophosphamide Induced Toxicity. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2014 Dec 1; 7(12):6.
2. Gupta N, Agrawal RC, Shrivastava V, Roy A, Prasad P. Aegle marmelos fruit extract prevents cyclophosphamide induced micronucleus formation in mice. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011 Nov 28;4(11):1666-8.
3. Hani M. Almukhtar, Ibrahim M. Faisal, Marwan M. Merkhan. Short-term treatment with Atorvastatin selectively decreases Lymphocyte count. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(2):689-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00114
4. Jawnaa K. Mamdoh, Eman A. Mustafa. Aqbas A. Jawad. Evaluation of Anti-inflammatory and Antimicrobial Effects of Iraqi Propolis Mouth Wash in Mucositis Patients Induced by Chemotherapy. International Journal of Enhanced Research in Science, Technology and Engineering. 2015; Vol. 4 Issue 9:80-88
5. Majd Alfreijat, MD.Tongue hyperpigmentation associated with chemotherapy. J Community Hosp Intern Med Perspect. 2013; 3(3-4): doi: 10.3402/jchimp.v3i3-4.21047.
6. Nagabhushanam C, Devi ND, Vasu A, Rao D. A comparative randomized study of Guggulu and Atorvastatin Hypercholesterolemia patients. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2010 Apr 26;2(2):187-9.
7. Duarte, T, Da Cruz, I.B.M., Barbisan, F, Capelleto, D, Moresco, , R.N., Duarte, M.M.M.F. The effects of rosuvastatin on lipid-lowering, inflammatory, antioxidant and fibrinolytics blood biomarkers are influenced by Val16Ala superoxidedismutase manganese-dependent gene polymorphism, Pharmacogenomics J. 2016 Nov;16(6):501-506. DOI: 10.1038/tpj.2015.91
8. Özbakiş-Dengiz, G, Hekimoglu, A, Kandemir, N, Kurcer, Z. Effects of statins in an indomethacin-induced gastric injury model in rats, Turk J Gastroenterol 2012; 23 (5): 456-462 doi: 10.4318/tjg.2012.0393.
9. Selim, A, Khalaf, M.M., Gad, A.M., Abd El-Raouf, O.M. Evaluation of the possible nephroprotective effects of vitamin E and rosuvastatin in amikacin-induced renal injury in rats, J. Biochem. Mol. Toxicol. (2017) e21957, https://doi.org/10.1002/jbt.21957.
10. Maheshwari, R.A., Balaraman, R., Sailor, G.U., Sen, D.B. Protective effect of simvastatin and rosuvastatin on trinitrobenzene sulfonic acid-induced colitis in rats, Indian J. Pharmacol. 47 (2015) 17–21, https://doi.org/10.4103/0253-7613.150311
11. Sada W. Abdulqader, Ibrahim M. Faisal, M. G. Saeed, Marwan M. Merkhan. Fluvoxamine Suppressed Oxidative Stress associated with Tissue Erosion. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(2):819-4. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X
12. Sheeja K, Kuttan G. Ameliorating effects of Andrographis paniculata extract against cyclophosphamide-induced toxicity in mice. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2006; 7:609–14.
13. Mukherjee N, Chaturvedi SK Shreoshi. Cellular mechanisms of cyclophosphamide-induced taste loss in mice. LoS One. 2017; 12(9): e 0185473.
14. Derouiche S, Cheradid T, Guessoum M. Heavy metals, oxidative stress and inflammation in pathophysiology of chronic kidney disease-a review. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020 Aug 4; 10(3):202.
15. Attarbashee, RK. and Abu-Raghif, A. Comparative treatment of induced ulcerative colitis in male rat model by using cinnarizine and sulfasalazine. Iraqi Journal of Veterinary Sciences. 2020 Vol. 34, No. 2, (465-472). DOI: 10.33899/ijvs.2019.126170.1254
16. Attarbashee, RK. and Abu-Raghif, The therapeutic effects of ambrisentan on experimentally induced colitis in a male rat's models. Ann Trop Med & Public Health; 23 (4): S495. DOI: http://doi.org/10.36295/ASRO.2020.23411.
17. Elgamal, A. (2021). Evaluation Of Curcumin And Chitosan Protective Effect On Submandibular Salivary Gland Toxicity Induced By Monosodium Glutamate In Male Albino Rats. Egyptian Dental Journal, 67(2), 1187-1197.
18. Santra A, Chowdhury A, Chaudhuri S, Das Gupta J, Banerjee PK, Mazumder DN. Oxidative stress in gastric mucosa in Helicobacter pylori infection. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2000; 19:21–3.
19. Sies, H, Berndt, C, Jones, DP. Oxidative stress, Annu. Rev. Biochem. 86 (2017) 715–748, https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-biochem-061516-045037.
20. Avery, SV. Molecular targets of oxidative stress, Biochem. J. 434 (2011) 201–210, https://doi.org/10.1042/BJ20101695.
21. Browning, JD. Horton, JD. Molecular mediators of hepatic steatosis and liver injury, J. Clin. Investig. 114 (2004) 147–152, https://doi.org/10.1172/ JCI200422422.
22. Yahyazadeh A. Effect of curcumin on rat sublingual gland exposed to cyclophosphamide. Cukurova Med J.2021, 46(3):897-903. DOI:10:17826/cumj:895357.
23. Holdgate, GA., Ward, WHJ., McTaggart, F. Molecular mechanism for inhibition of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl CoA (HMG-CoA) reductase by rosuvastatin, Biochem. Soc. Trans. 31 (2003) 528–531, https://doi.org/10.1042/BST0310528.
24. Abdel-Daim, MM., Abdeen, A. Protective effects of rosuvastatin and vitamin E against fipronil-mediated oxidative damage and apoptosis in rat liver and kidney, Food Chem. Toxicol. 114 (2018) 69–77, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2018.01.
25. Al-Allaf LI, Attarbashee, RKA, Mammdoh, KJ. The effect of cyclophosphamide on hippocampal structure of adult male rats (role of rosuvastatin). Mil. Med. Sci. Lett. 2022; 91(3), 256-264. DOI: 10.31482/mmsl.2022.022.
26. Elkady MA, Shalaby S, Fathi F, et al. Effects of quercetin and rosuvastatin each alone or in combination on cyclophosphamide-induced premature ovarian failure in female albino mice. Hum Exp Toxicol. 2019;38(11):1283-1295. . https://doi.org/10.1177/0960327119 865588.
27. Holdgate, GA., Ward, WHJ., McTaggart, F. Molecular mechanism for inhibition of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl CoA (HMG-CoA) reductase by rosuvastatin, Biochem. Soc. Trans. 31 (2003) 528–531, https://doi.org/10.1042/BST0310528.
28. Blanco-Colio, L.M., Tuñón, J., Martín-Ventura, J.L., Egido, J. Anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory effects of statins, Kidney Int. 63 (2003) 12–23, https://doi.org/ 10.1046/j.1523-1755.2003.00744.x.
29. Marwan M. Merkhan, Eman Abdullah, Zeina Althanoon. Effect of Esomeprazole on serum creatinine and urea in patients with Peptic Ulcer. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(1):160-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00026
30. Althanoon Z, Faisal IM, Ahmad AA, Merkhan MM, Merkhan MM. Pharmacological aspects of statins are relevant to their structural and physicochemical properties. Systematic Reviews in Pharmacy. 2020;11(7):167-71.