Ariadna Anggi Pasang, Alphania Rahniayu, Nila Kurniasari, I Ketut Sudiana, Willy Sandhika, Anny Setijo Rahaju, Dyah Fauziah, Siprianus Ugroseno Yudho Bintoro
Ariadna Anggi Pasang1, Alphania Rahniayu1, Nila Kurniasari1*, I Ketut Sudiana1, Willy Sandhika1, Anny Setijo Rahaju1, Dyah Fauziah1, Siprianus Ugroseno Yudho Bintoro2
1Department of Anatomical Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Airlangga University, Surabaya, Indonesia.
2Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Airlangga University, Surabaya, Indonesia.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2023
Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL) is one of the B-cell large cell types of non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) that has poor prognosis with highly variable clinical course. Various prognostic factors have been proposed to predict this, but the results were variable. C-MYC is a proto-oncogen that can cause overexpression leading to the increased of tumor cells proliferation. BAX is a main proapoptotic member of the BCL-2 family proteins that regulates apoptotic function. The study aimed to analyze correlation of c-MYC and BAX protein with various Ann Arbor stages in B-cell large cell type of NHL. This cross-sectional study was performed on 39 formalin fixed paraffin-embedded tissue of patients diagnosed as B-cell large cell type of NHL during January 2017 - December 2019 in Anatomical Pathology Laboratory at Dr. Soetomo General Hospital, Surabaya. To assess the expression of c-MYC and BAX, the immunohistochemistry examination was performed. Immunoexpression of C-MYC and BAX were evaluated according to the number of positive tumor cells divided by the total number of tumor cells and calculated in percentage. There was no difference in C-MYC (p = 0.877) and BAX (p = 0.093) expression with various Ann Arbor stages in B-cell large cell type of NHL. There was no correlation between c-MYC with BAX expression in various Ann Arbor stages in B-cell large cell type of NHL (rs = 0.206, p = 0.209). This indicated that C-MYC and BAX expression alone could not to be used as parameters to predict the outcome of the B-cell large cell type of NHL via Ann Arbor stages.
Cite this article:
Ariadna Anggi Pasang, Alphania Rahniayu, Nila Kurniasari, I Ketut Sudiana, Willy Sandhika, Anny Setijo Rahaju, Dyah Fauziah, Siprianus Ugroseno Yudho Bintoro. Correlation between C-MYC and BAX expression with various Ann Arbor stages in B-cell large cell type of Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(2):597-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00102
Ariadna Anggi Pasang, Alphania Rahniayu, Nila Kurniasari, I Ketut Sudiana, Willy Sandhika, Anny Setijo Rahaju, Dyah Fauziah, Siprianus Ugroseno Yudho Bintoro. Correlation between C-MYC and BAX expression with various Ann Arbor stages in B-cell large cell type of Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(2):597-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00102 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-2-21
1. Thandra KC, Barsouk A, Saginala K, Padala SA, Rawla P. Epidemiology of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Med.Sci. 2021;5:1–9
2. Salma RS, Sedana MP, Yudho SU. CHOP and R-CHOP therapeutic responses in non-Hodgkin lymphoma patients in Dr. Soetomo General Hospital Surabaya. Biomolecular and Health Science Journal. 2018;1(2):93. doi: 10.20473/bhsj.v1i2.9244
3. Li S, Young KH, Medeiros, LJ. Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Pathology. 2018;50(1):74–87. doi: 10.1016/j.pathol.2017.09.006
4. Armitage, JO. Staging non-Hodgkin lymphoma. CA Cancer J Clin. 2005;55:368–376
5. Munakata W, Terauchi T, Maruyama D, Nagai H. Revised staging system for malignant lymphoma based on the Lugano classification. Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2019;49(10):895–900. doi: 10.1093/jjco/hyz111
6. Alizadeh AA, Elsen MB, Davis RE, Ma C, Lossos IS, Rosenwald A, et al. Distinct types of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma identified by gene expression profiling. Nature. 2000;403(6769):503–511. doi: 10.1038/35000501
7. Cai Q, Medeiros LJ, Xu X, Young KH. MYC-driven aggressive B-cell lymphomas: Biology, entity, differential diagnosis, and clinical management. Oncotarget. 2015;6(36):38591–38616. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.5774
8. Eischen CM, Roussel MF, Korsmeyer SJ, Cleveland JL. Bax loss impairs Myc-induced apoptosis and circumvents the selection of p53 mutations during Myc-mediated lymphomagenesis. Molecular and Cellular Biology. 2001;21(22);7653–7662. doi: 10.1128/mcb.21.22.7653-7662.2001
9. Liu Z, Ding Y, Ye N, Wild C, Chen H, Zhou J. Direct activation of Bax protein for cancer therapy. Medicinal Research Reviews. 2016;36(2):313–341. doi: 10.1002/med.21379
10. Cheson BD. Staging and response assessment in lymphomas: The new Lugano classification. Chinese Clinical Oncology. 2015;4(1):1–9. doi: 10.3978/j.issn.2304-3865.2014.11.03
11. Xu-Monette ZY, Dabaja BS, Wang X, Tu M, Manyam GC, Tzankov A, et al. Clinical features, tumor biology, and prognosis associated with MYC rearrangement and Myc overexpression in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma patients treated with Rituximab-CHOP. Modern Pathology. 2015;28(12):1555–1573. doi: 10.1038/modpathol.2015.118
12. Pfeifer M, Grau M, Lenze D, Wenzel SS, Wolf A, Wulf BW, et al. PTEN loss defines a PI3K/AKT pathway-dependent germinal center subtype of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2013;110(30):12420–12425. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1305656110
13. Xie Y, Bulbul MA, Ji L, Inouye CM, Groshen SG, Tulpule A, et al. P53 expression is a strong marker of inferior survival in de novo diffuse large B-cell lymphoma and may have enhanced negative effect with MYC coexpression: A single institutional clinicopathologic study. American Journal of Clinical Pathology. 2014;141(4):593–604. doi: 10.1309/AJCPPHMZ6VHF0WQV
14. Kramer MH, Hermans J, Wijburg E, Philippo K, Geelen E, van Krieken JH, et al. Clinical relevance of BCL2, BCL6, and MYC rearrangements in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Blood. 1998;92(9):3152–3162. doi: 10.1182/blood.v92.9.3152
15. Chang CC, Liu YC, Cleveland RP, Perkins SL. Expression of c-Myc and p53 correlates with clinical outcome in diffuse large B-cell lymphomas. American Journal of Clinical Pathology. 2000;113(4):512–518. doi: 10.1309/yhfe-r65b-d3lk-3ggv
16. Tae MK, Park YH, Lee SY, Kim JH, Kim DW, Im SA, et al. Local tumor invasiveness is more predictive of survival than international prognostic index in stage IE/IIE extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma, nasal type. Blood. 2005;106(12):3785–3790. doi: 10.1182/blood-2005-05-2056
17. Kim YR, Kim JS, Min YH, Yoon DH, Shin HJ, Mun YC, et al. Prognostic factors in primary diffuse large B-cell lymphoma of adrenal gland treated with rituximab-CHOP chemotherapy from the consortium for improving survival of lymphoma (CISL). Journal of Hematology and Oncology. 2012;5:1–9. doi: 10.1186/1756-8722-5-49
18. Xia Y, Zhang X. The spectrum of MYC alterations in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Acta Haematologica. 2020;143(6):520–528. doi: 10.1159/000505892
19. Pagnano KB, Silva MD, Vassallo J, Aranha FJ, Saad ST. Apoptosis-regulating protein and prognosis in diffuse large B-cell non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas. Acta Haematologica. 2002;107(1):29–34. doi: 10.1159/000046626
20. Gascoyne RD, Krajewska M, Krajewski S, Connors JM, Reed, JC. Prognostic significance of Bax protein expression in diffuse aggressive non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Blood. 1997;90(1):244–251. doi: 10.1182/blood.v90.1.244
21. Yin HF, Okada N, Takagi M. Comparison of apoptosis and apoptosis-related gene products between extranodal oral B-cell lymphoma and maxillofacial nodal B-cell lymphoma. Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine. 2001;30(3):141–147. doi: 10.1034/j.1600-0714.2001.300303.x
22. Juin P, Hunt A, Littlewood T, Griffths B, Swigart LB, Korsmeyer S, Evan, G. C-myc functionally cooperates with Bax to induce apoptosis. Molecular and Cellular Biology. 2002;22(17):6158–6169. doi: 10.1128/mcb.22.17.6158-6169.2002
23. Soucie EL, Annis MG, Sedivy J, Filmus J, Leber B, Andrews DW, et al. Myc potentiates apoptosis by stimulating bax activity at the mitochondria. Molecular and Cellular Biology. 2001;21(14):4725–4736. doi: 10.1128/mcb.21.14.4725-4736.2001
24. Boone DN, Qi Y, Li Z, Hann SR. Egr1 mediates p53-independent c-Myc-induced apoptosis via a noncanonical ARF-dependent transcriptional mechanism. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2011;108(2):632–637. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1008848108
25. Venkatesh P, Kulandaivelu U, Koteswara Rao GSN, Chakravarthi G, Alavala RR, Rajesh B. Development and validation of a stability-indicating UPLC method for determination of Darolutamide in its tablet formulation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(1):165-0. DOI: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00027
26. Kiran GS, Sahithi Puja U, Kumar DP, Pravalika A, Sai CB. Translocation of C-MYC gene by expressed eighty percentage of Tumour cells cause abdominal Burkitt’s lymphoma during the third phase of chemotherapy it Relapsed: A Case report and Literature. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(12):5754-5756. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.01002.1
27. Shukla RK, Nandan K, Shukla A, Kaur A, Deepanshu Rana. Review on Traditional uses, Biological activities, Phytoconstituents of Bombax ceiba Linn. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(11):5607-5612. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00978.6
28. Mandzii TP, Grycyk AR. Research of the Morphological and Anatomical structure of leaf of Pinus sylvestris L. and Pinus mugo Turra. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(5):2465-2467. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00413.X
29. Bhargava S, Shah MB. Evaluation of Hypoglycemic activity of different extracts of Bombax ceiba L. leaves. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 9(3): Mar., 2016; Page 205-208. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2016.00036.6
30. Yusuf-Babatunde AM, Osuntokun OT, Ige OO, Solaja OO. Secondary metabolite Constituents, Antimicrobial Activity and Gas chromatography-Mass spectroscopy Profile of Bombax buonopozense P. Beauv. (Bombacaceae) Stem bark Extract. Res. J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochem. 2019; 11(2):87-92. DOI: 10.5958/0975-4385.2019.00016.5
31. Meena AK, Nain J, Garg N, Rao MM. Review on Ethnobotany and Phytopharmacology of Bombax ceiba. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2011; 3(2): 57-61 .
32. Yunoos M, Bharadwaj C, Sandeep V, Rajesh S, Krishna C. Determination of Itraconazole in Bulk and Capsule Dosage Form by a Validated Isocratic RP-HPLC Method. Asian J. Research Chem 8(4): April 2015; Page 236-240. DOI: 10.5958/0974-4150.2015.00041.3
33. Sampath Kumar N, Madhurambal G. Quercetagetin Glycoside from the Flowers of Bombax ceiba. Asian J. Research Chem. 3(1): Jan.-Mar. 2010; Page 78-80.
34. Fadholly A, Ansori ANM, Utomo B. Anticancer Effect of Naringin on Human Colon Cancer (WiDr Cells): In Vitro Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(2):885-8. DOI: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.0014.
35. Annise Proboningrat, Shara Jayanti, Amaq Fadholly, Arif N. M. Ansori, Naimah Putri, Muhammad K. J. Kusala, Sri A. Sudjarwo, Fedik A. Rantam, Agung Budianto Achmad. The Cytotoxicity of Ethanolic Extract of Allium cepa L. on Hela Cell Lines. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(9):4969-2. DOI: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00864