Khusnul, Meti Kusmiati, Rianti Nurpalah, Yedy Purwandi Sukmawan, I Nyoman Pugeg Aryantha, Tutus Gusdinar
Khusnul1, Meti Kusmiati1, Rianti Nurpalah1, Yedy Purwandi Sukmawan2, I Nyoman Pugeg Aryantha3, Tutus Gusdinar4
1Department of Medical Laboratory and Technology, Faculty of Health, University of Bakti Tunas Husada, Tasikmalaya, West Java, Indonesia.
2Department of Clinical Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Bakti Tunas Husada, Tasikmalaya, West Java, Indonesia.
3School of Life Sciences and Technology, Institut Teknologi Bandung, Bandung, Indonesia
4Department of Pharmacochemistry, School of Pharmacy, Institut Teknologi Bandung, Bandung, West Java, Indonesia.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 10,
Year - 2023
The immune system is a defense system of the human body that has a function to protect humans from foreign. One of the indicators of an increased immune system is an increase in the number and type of the leukocyte cell (lymphocytes and monocyte) and lymph weight. In Indonesia, many natural ingredients can be used as an alternative medicine to maintain the immune system, including the Lingzhi mushroom (Ganoderma lucidum). The purpose of this study was to determine the pharmacological activity of Lingzi mushroom extract on the number and type of leukocytes (lymphocytes and monocyte) as well as spleen weight in white male swiss webster mice. The method of this research is an experimental laboratory with a Completely Randomized Design (CRD) using a post-test control group design. The sample population taken was 25 mice divided into five groups including negative, positive, test 1 (5.6mg/20g BW of mice), test 2 (11.2mg/20g BW of mice), test 3 (16.8 mg/20 g BW of mice). Each group consists of 5mice. The data collection was obtained from the result of the cell count, leukocyte cell count, and lymph weight in mice which was carried out after the treatment with lingzhi mushroom extract for 6 days. The results showed that a test 2 (11.2mg/20g BW in mice) was effective to increase the number of a leukocyte, test 3 (16.8mg/20gr BW of mice) was effective to increase leukocyte, lymphocytes and lymph weight. However, test 1, 2, and 3 reduced amount of neutrophil segment. Lingzhi mushroom extract test 3 showed better than other groups due to increase of leukocyte, monocyte, lymphocyte and lymph.
Cite this article:
Khusnul, Meti Kusmiati, Rianti Nurpalah, Yedy Purwandi Sukmawan, I Nyoman Pugeg Aryantha, Tutus Gusdinar. Pharmacological activity of the Ethanolic extract of Lingzhi to the Immune system. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(10):4907-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00795
Khusnul, Meti Kusmiati, Rianti Nurpalah, Yedy Purwandi Sukmawan, I Nyoman Pugeg Aryantha, Tutus Gusdinar. Pharmacological activity of the Ethanolic extract of Lingzhi to the Immune system. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(10):4907-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00795 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-10-65
1. Top 10 cause of death. Available at https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/the-top-10-causes-of-death. Accessed at October 20,2022.
2. Akova M. Epidemiology of antimicrobial resistance in bloodstream infections. Virulence. 2016; 7(3): 252-266. doi: 10.1080/21505594.2016.1159366.
3. Puggioni F, Alves-Correia M, Mohamed MF, Stomeo N, Mager R, Marinoni M, Racca F, Paoletti G, Varricchi G, Giorgis V, Melioli G, Canonica GW, Heffler E. Immunostimulants in respiratory diseases: focus on Pidotimod. Multidiscip Respir Med. 2019; 4(14):31. doi: 10.1186/s40248-019-0195-2.
4. Debnath S, Chakravorty R, Devi D. A Review on Role of Medicinal plants in Immune system. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2020; 10(4): 273-277. doi: 10.5958/2231-5713.2020.00045.8.
5. Brown GD, and Gordon S. Immune recognition of fungal beta-glucans. Cell Microbiol. 2005;7: 471–479. doi: 10.1111/j.1462-5822.2005.00505.x.
6. Derouiche S. Current Review on Herbal Pharmaceutical improve immune responses against COVID-19 infection. Res. J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech. 2020; 12(3): 181-184. doi: 10.5958/0975-4377.2020.00031.2.
7. Vikhe DN. Ten food that boost Immune System: A Review. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2021; 13(4): 244-2. doi: 10.52711/2349-2988.2021.00038.
8. Praveena CH, Pramod K, Ajithkumar KC. Dendritic cell vaccine for cancer therapy. Res. J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2016; 8(3): 141-147. doi: 10.5958/2321-5836.2016.00026.4.
9. Dhalendra G, Satapathy T, Roy A. Animal Models for Inflammation: A Review. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2013; 3(4): 207-212.
10. Patel AL, Maru PR, Patel AB, Vyas AJ, Patel NK. Role of Vitamins, Minerals and Herbs in Strengthening immune system against the newly Emerging Viral Disease SARS-CoV-2. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2021; 11(4): 309-5. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2021.00048.
11. Wang X and Lin Z. Immunomodulating Effect of Ganoderma (Lingzhi) and Possible Mechanism. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2019; 1182: 1-37. doi: 10.1007/978-981-32-9421-9_1.
12. Dandapat S, Kumar M, Ranjan R, Sinaha MP. Study of Impacts of Ganoderma applanatum (Pres.) Pat. Extract on Hepatic and Renal Biochemical Parameters of Rats. 2019; 24 (2): 119-132. https://doi.org/10.22146/mot.44586.
13. Wihastuti TA, Sargowo D, Widodo MA, Heriansyah T, Soeharto S, Ardi AI. Subchronic Toxicity of Ganoderma Lucidum Polysaccharide Peptide (PsP) to Liver Physiology and HistopathologyImaging of Liver on Rattus Norvegicus Strain Wistar Rats. Biomed Pharmacol J. 2014; 7(2).
14. Imboost. Available at https://www.mims.com/indonesia/drug/info/imboost%20force?type=full#:~:text=Imboost%20Force%20FC%20caplet%3A%20Each,and%20zinc%20picolinate%2010%20mg. Accessed at October 20, 2022.
15. Diamond MS, and Kanneganti TD. Innate immunity: the first line of defense against SARS-CoV-2. Nat Immunol. 2022; 23(2): 165-176. doi: 10.1038/s41590-021-01091-0.
16. Janeway CA Jr, Travers P, Walport M. Immunobiology: The Immune System in Health and Disease. 5th edition. New York: Garland Science; 2001. Principles of innate and adaptive immunity. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK27090/. Accessed at October, 20, 2022.
17. Khokra SL, Parashar B, Dhamija HK, Bala M. Immunomodulators: Immune System Modifiers. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2012; 5(2): 169-174
18. Gayathiri. K, Gopi Sudheer Kumar. J, Kavimani. S. Evaluation of Immunomodulatory activity of Salvia hispanica. L Seeds. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(12): 4255-4260. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2017.00779.X.
19. Shiyan S, Arifin A, Amriani A, Herlina, Pratiwi G. Immunostimulatory Activity of Ethanol Extract from Calotropis gigantea L. Flower in Rats against Salmonella typhimurium Infection. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(11):5244-5250. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00917.8.
20. Shinde S, Bhosale M, Tambe T, Sonawane P. Overall Review on Therapeutic effects of Spirulina supplement. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2022; 14(2):115-0. doi: 10.52711/2349-2988.2022.00019.
21. Kim HS, Hong JT, Kim Y, Han SB. Stimulatory Effect of β-glucans on Immune Cells. Immune Netw. 2011 ;11(4):191-195. doi: 10.4110/in.2011.11.4.191.
22. Brown GD, and Gordon S. Immune recognition of fungal beta-glucans. Cell Microbiol. 2005;7:471–479. doi: 10.1111/j.1462-5822.2005.00505.x.