Lalan Gupta, Thirumal M, Ankul Singh S, Anant Nayabaniya
Lalan Gupta1, Thirumal M2, Ankul Singh S3, Anant Nayabaniya1*
1Department of Pharmaceutical Analysis, Sunsari Technical College, Institute of Medicine (IOM), Tribhuvan University, Nepal.
2Department of Pharmacognosy, SRM College of Pharmacy, SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Kattankulathur, Kancheepuram, Tamil Nadu, India.
3Department of Pharmacology, SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Kattankulathur, Kancheepuram, Tamil Nadu, India.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 10,
Year - 2023
Background: The antibacterial activity and antioxidant properties of the Moringa oleifera leaves belonging to the family Moringaceae grown in Nepal were investigated. The leaves extract exhibited a free radical scavenging capacity. The antimicrobial activity of the leaves extract was assayed against one Gram-positive bacteria (Staphylococcus aureus), three Gram-negative bacteria (Escherichia coli, Klebsiella Pneumoniae, Salmonella typhi). Objective: The main aim of the current study is to evaluate the antibacterial and antioxidant activities of Moringa oleifera leaf extract. Material and Methods: The leaves were collected, authenticated, dried, and extracted with suitable solvent using the Soxhlet apparatus. The antibacterial activity was evaluated in vitro using Agar well diffusion method, and antioxidant activity by the DPPH test method. The antibacterial activity of Moringa oleifera leaf extract was analyzed against Staphylococcus aureus (Gram-positive) and Escherichia coli, Salmonella typhi, Klebsiella pneumoniae (Gram-negative). 200mg/ml, 400mg/ml, 600mg/ml and 800mg/ml concentrations of Moringa oleifera leaf extract and standard drug (Ciprofloxacin 0.005mg/ml) were taken for the study. Results: The ethanolic leaves extract at 800mg/ml and Ciprofloxacin at 0.005mg/ml showed activity against Salmonella typhi with the maximum zone of inhibition of 24±0.15mm and 45±0.25mm, respectively. Klebsiella pneumoniae is resistant to the Ciprofloxacin antibiotic. In antioxidant activity, the maximum percentage of free radical inhibition shown by sample and ascorbic acid (standard) at concentrations of 800mcg/ml was 76.246±1.026% and 98.404±0.702%, respectively. Conclusion: Based on the current findings, Moringa oleifera leaf extract could be used in antibacterial and antioxidant activity
Cite this article:
Lalan Gupta, Thirumal M, Ankul Singh S, Anant Nayabaniya. Phytochemical screening and In vitro Evaluation of Antibacterial and Antioxidant properties of Moringa oleifera Linn leaf extract. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(10):4512-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00735
Lalan Gupta, Thirumal M, Ankul Singh S, Anant Nayabaniya. Phytochemical screening and In vitro Evaluation of Antibacterial and Antioxidant properties of Moringa oleifera Linn leaf extract. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(10):4512-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00735 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-10-5
1. Chirania A, Kaushik L, Rao S, Sharma V. Therapeutic Activity of Moringa Oleifera. International Journal of Recent Advances in Multidisciplinary Topics. 2022;3(1):64-7.
2. Sherif AH, Prince A, Adel Seida A, Saad Sharaf M, Eldessouki EA, Harfoush MAJAR. Moringa oleifera mitigates oxytetracycline stress in Oreochromis niloticus. 2022;53(5):1790-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/are.15707
3. Arif Y, Bajguz A, Hayat SJJoPGR. Moringa oleifera Extract as a Natural Plant Biostimulant. 2022:1-16. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00344-022-10630-4
4. Udikala M, Verma Y, Sushma SL, Lal SJIJoL-SSR. Phytonutrient and pharmacological significance of Moringa oleifera. 2017;3(5):1387-91. 10.21276/ijlssr.2017.3.5.21
5. Pérez-Rivera EP, Montes-Ávila J, Castro-Tamayo CB, Portillo-Loera JJ, Castillo-López RI. Agronomical Aspects of Moringa oleifera (Moringa). Biological and Pharmacological Properties of the Genus Moringa: CRC Press; 2021. p. 39-63.
6. Palada M, Foidl NJTMTMO. Harvesting, Postharvest Technology and Processing. 2019.
7. Mahmood KT, Mugal T, Haq IUJJoPS, Research. Moringa oleifera: a natural gift-A review. 2010;2(11):775.
8. Jadhav Sameer S, Salunkhe Vijay R, Magdum Chandrakant S. Daily Consumption of Antioxidants:-Prevention of Disease is better than Cure2013.
9. Sharma S, Rana M, Kumar H, Parashar B, editors. It's era to move towards nature for getting beneficial effects of plants having Antioxidant activity to fight against deleterious diseases2013.
10. Singh VP, Arulanantham A, Parisipogula V, Arulanantham S, Biswas AJEJoN, Safety F. Moringa olifera: nutrient dense food source and world’s most useful plant to ensure nutritional security, good health and eradication of malnutrition. 2018;8(4):204-14. http://dx.doi.org/10.9734/EJNFS/2018/42468
11. Sankhyan N, Sharma A, Seth CA, Chauhan A, Kulshrestha SJIJoAS, Research. Determination and comparison of vitamin C content from Moringa oleifera by different methods. 2013;3(2):67-70.
12. Maizuwo AI, Hassan AS, Momoh H, Muhammad JAJJodd, chemistry m. Phytochemical constituents, biological activities, therapeutic potentials and nutritional values of Moringa oleifera (Zogale): a review. 2017;3(4):60. 10.11648/j.jddmc.20170304.12
13. Handa SS. Extraction technologies for medicinal and aromatic plants: International Centre for Science and High Technology; 2008.
14. Killedar SG, More HNJAJoPR. Screening of Antimicrobial Potential and Phytoconsituents for Different Extracts of Memecylon umbellatum Burm Inflorescences. 2011;1:114-8.
15. Nepolean P, Anitha J, Renitta RE. Isolation, analysis and identification of phytochemicals of antimicrobial activity of Moringa oleifera Lam. Current Biotica. 2009;3:33-9.
16. Vinoth LBS, Manivasagaperumal R, editors. Phytochemical analysis and antibacterial activity of Moringa oleifera LAM2012.
17. Sharma V, Paliwal R, Sharma P, Sharma S. Phytochemical analysis and evaluation of antioxidant activities of hydro-ethanolic extracts of Moringa oleifera Lam. pods. J Pharm Res. 2011;4(2):554-7.
18. Mishra G, Singh P, Verma R, Kumar S, Srivastav S, Jha K, et al. Traditional uses, phytochemistry and pharmacological properties of Moringa oleifera plant: An overview. Der Pharmacia Lettre. 2011;3(2):141-64.
19. Valli G, Jeyalakshmi M. Preliminary Phytochemical and Antioxidant Study of Odina woodier Leaf Extract2012. 10.5958/2231–5691
20. Singh G, Sharma S. Antimicrobial evaluation of leaf extract of Moringa oleifera Lam. Int Res J Pharm. 2012;3(4):212-15p.
21. Rahman MM, Sheikh MMI, Sharmin SA, Islam MS, Rahman MA, Rahman MM, et al. Antibacterial activity of leaf juice and extracts of Moringa oleifera Lam. against some human pathogenic bacteria. CMU J Nat Sci. 2009;8(2):219.
22. Purohit MC, Kandwal A, Purohit R, Semwal AR, Shama P, Khajuria AKJAJoPA. Antimicrobial Activity of Synthesized Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles using Ajuga bracteosa Leaf Extract. 2021. http://dx.doi.org/10.52711/2231-5675.2021.00047
23. Siddhuraju P, Becker K. Antioxidant properties of various solvent extracts of total phenolic constituents from three different agroclimatic origins of drumstick tree (Moringa oleifera Lam.) leaves. Journal of agricultural and food chemistry. 2003;51(8):2144-55. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf020444+
24. Pari L, Karamac M, Kosinska A, Rybarczyk A, Amarowicz R. Antioxidant activity of the crude extracts of drumstick tree [Moringa oleifera Lam.] and sweet broomweed [Scoparia dulcis L.] leaves. Polish journal of food and nutrition sciences. 2007;57(2):203-8.
25. Shen Q, Zhang B, Xu R, Wang Y, Ding X, Li P. Antioxidant activity in vitro of the selenium-contained protein from the Se-enriched Bifidobacterium animalis 01. Anaerobe. 2010;16(4):380-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anaerobe.2010.06.006
26. Rangasamy P, Hansiya VS, Maheswari PU, Suman T, Geetha NJAJoPA. Phytochemical Analysis and Evaluation of In vitro Antioxidant and Anti-urolithiatic Potential of various fractions of Clitoria ternatea L. Blue Flowered Leaves. 2019. http://dx.doi.org/10.5958/2231-5675.2019.00014.0
27. Singh M, Singh S, Verma D. Morphological and Pharmacognostical Evaluation of Moringa oleifera Lam.(Moringaceae): A Plant with High Medicinal Value in Tropical and Subtropical Parts of the World. Pharmacognosy Reviews. 2020;14(28):139. https://doi.org/10.5530/PHREV.2020.14.17
28. Unuigbe CA, Okeri HA, Erharuyi O, Oghenero EE, Obamedo DA. Phytochemical and antioxidant evaluation of Moringa oleifera (Moringaceae) leaf and seed. Journal of Pharmacy & Bioresources. 2015;11(2):51-7. https://doi.org/10.4314/jpb.v11i2.4
29. Abadallah M, Ali M. Antibacterial Activity of Moringa Oleifera Leaf Extracts against Bacteria Isolated From Patients Attending General Sani Abacha Specialist Hospital Damaturu. J Allied Pharm Sci. 2019:61-6.
30. M.AG, S. B M, A.B R, HT, MA, M A, et al. Antibacterial activity and phytochemical screening of Moringa oleifera Lam. leaves and seeds extract on Staphylococcus aureus. International Journal of Research -Granthaalayah. 2019;7(11):276-84. https://doi.org/10.29121/granthaalayah.v7.i11.2020.367
31. Muthukumaran P, Shanmuganathan P, Malathi C. In Vitro Antioxidant Evaluation of Mimosa pudica2011.
32. Narasimhan R, Sathiyamoorthy MJAJoPR. Phytochemical Screening and Antioxidant Studies in the Pulp Extracts of Cucurbita maxima. 2016;6:01-4. https://doi.org/10.5958/2231-5691.2016.00001.0
33. Mohite S, Shah R, Patel NJAJPR. Antimicrobial Activity of Leaves extracts of Jatropha curcas. 2018;8(1):17-20. http://dx.doi.org/10.5958/2231-5691.2018.00004.7
34. Manvar MN. Antibacterial activity of leaves and flowers of Ipomoea aquatica forsk.(Convolvulacea). 2018. http://dx.doi.org/10.5958/2231-5691.2018.00016.3
35. Priyanka N, Brahmeswari P, Babu GR, Sowjanya M, Ramayyappa MJAJoPR. Evaluation of Antibacterial and Anti-inflammatory Activities of Ethanolic Extract of Hibiscus hirtus Linn. Leaves. 2022;12(1):5-10.
36. Malhotra SPK, Mandal TK. Phytochemical screening and in vitro antibacterial activity of Moringa oleifera (Lam.) leaf extract. Archives of Agriculture and Environmental Science. 2018;3(4):367-72. http://dx.doi.org/10.26832/24566632.2018.030406
37. Abdulkadir AR, Zawawi DD, Jahan MS. DPPH antioxidant activity, total phenolic and total flavonoid content of different part of Drumstic tree (Moringa oleifera Lam.). Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 2015;7(4):1423-8.