Muhammad Dimas Aditya Ari, Utari Kresnoadi, Imam Safari Azhar, Nila Sari, Wibi Riawan
Muhammad Dimas Aditya Ari1*, Utari Kresnoadi1, Imam Safari Azhar1, Nila Sari2, Wibi Riawan3
1Department of Prosthodontics, Faculty of Dental Medicine – Universitas Airlangga, Surabaya - Indonesia.
2Resident of Prosthodontics, Faculty of Dental Medicine – Universitas Airlangga, Surabaya - Indonesia.
3Department of Biochemistry and Biomolecular, Faculty of Medicine – Universitas Brawijaya, Malang - Indonesia.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 10,
Year - 2023
After tooth extraction, preservation of the socket is performed to maintain the alveolar bone dimension. The materials such as Bovine Bone Graft (BBG) are commonly used and in combination with propolis extract, it's hoped can accelerate the bone remodeling so as to increase the success of prosthodontics treatment and improve individual good health and well-being. This study aimed to determine the capability of the combination of propolis extract and BBG in alveolar bone regeneration in terms of SMAD3 expression and the area of woven bone. This study used 84 Cavia cobaya which were divided into 4 groups for the 3rd, 7th, and 30th day, each group consist of 7 subjects. The first mandibular incisor of the subject was extracted then the socket for each group was filled with PEG (K1), propolis extract (K2), BBG (K3), and a combination of propolis extract and BBG (K4). After the duration was reached, the experimental animals were terminated and the specimen were processed to evaluate the expression of SMAD3 and calculate the area of the woven bone. Data were analyzed using Analysis of Variance (ANOVA). All groups expressed SMAD3 and demonstrated the presence of woven bone. The highest expression of SMAD3 and the area of woven bone were found in the K4 group on the 3rd, 7th, and 30th day. There were significant differences in each group (p = 0.00; p <0.05) both on the SMAD3 expression and the area of the woven bone. Propolis extract and BBG combination supports enhancement bone formation by increasing SMAD3 expression and woven bone area.
Cite this article:
Muhammad Dimas Aditya Ari, Utari Kresnoadi, Imam Safari Azhar, Nila Sari, Wibi Riawan. Alveolar Bone Formation Enhancement Induced by The Combination of Propolis Extract and Bovine Bone Graft Through SMAD3 Expression and Woven Bone in The Socket Preservation (An In Vivo Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(10):4805-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00779
Muhammad Dimas Aditya Ari, Utari Kresnoadi, Imam Safari Azhar, Nila Sari, Wibi Riawan. Alveolar Bone Formation Enhancement Induced by The Combination of Propolis Extract and Bovine Bone Graft Through SMAD3 Expression and Woven Bone in The Socket Preservation (An In Vivo Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(10):4805-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00779 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-10-49
1. Schropp L. Bone healing and soft tissue contour changes following single-tooth extraction: A clinical and radiographic 12-month prospective study. Int J Periodontics Restor Dent. 2014; 23(4): 313-23.
2. Chappuis V, Araujo M, Buser D. Clinical relevance of dimensional bone and soft tissue alterations post-extraction in esthetic sites. Periodontol. 2000. 2017;73(1):73–83.
3. Abood FM, Abbas GA, Witwit LJ, Hindi NK, Khmra HK, Ali MR. The occurrence of alveolar bone resorption with oral bacterial infection. Res J Pharm Technol 2017;10(6):1997-2000.
4. Sad LM, Cardoso J, Haddad V, Lourenço C, Nunes MS, Oliveira RG De. Alvelar ridge preservation: a systematic review. Rev Bras Cien Med Saúde. 2017;5(5):1–6.
5. Król W, Bankova V, Sforcin JM, Szliszka E, Czuba Z, Kuropatnicki AK. Propolis: Properties, Application, and Its Potential. Evidence-based Complement Altern Med. 2013; 2013(1): 2–4.
6. Elnakady YA, Rushdi AI, Franke R, Abutaha N, Ebaid H, Baabbad M, et al. Characteristics, chemical compositions and biological activities of propolis from Al-Bahah, Saudi Arabia. Nat Publ Gr. 2017;7(1):1–3.
7. Anjum SI, Ullah A, Khan KA, Attaullah M, Khan H, Ali H, et al. Composition and functional properties of propolis (bee glue): A review. Saudi J Biol Sci. 2019;26(7):1695–703.
8. Radhika G, Sreelakshmi DP, Prashanth RG, Venkatesh P, Ravindra RK. An overview on regenerative medicine. Res J Pharm Technol 2010;3 (3):727-728.
9. Jose H, Krishnakumar K, Dineshkumar B. Herbal extracts based scaffolds for wound healing therapy. Res J Pharm Technol 2021;14(3):1805-1810.
10. Kasiotis KM, Anastasiadou P, Papadopoulos A, Machera K. Revisiting Greek propolis: Chromatographic analysis and antioxidant activity study. PLoS One. 2017;12(1):1–27.
11. Sforcin JM. Biological properties and therapeutic applications of propolis. Phyther Res. 2016;30(6):894–905.
12. Khurshid Z, Naseem M, Zafar MS, Najeeb S, Zohaib S. Propolis: A natural biomaterial for dental and oral healthcare. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospect Rev. 2017;11(4):265–74.
13. Kapare HS, Sathiyanarayanan L. Nutritional and Therapeutic potential of Propolis: A Review. Res J Pharm Technol 2020;13(7):3545.
14. Kalia P, Kumar NR, Harjai K. Preventive effect of honey bee propolis on Salmonella enterica serovar typhimurium infected BALB/c mice: A hematological study. Res J Pharm Technol 2020;13(7):3389-93.
15. Uzbek UH, Rahman SA, Alam MK, Gillani SW. Bone forming potential of an-organic bovine bone graft: A cone beam CT study. J Clin Diagnostic Res. 2014;8(12):73–6.
16. Rombouts C, Jeanneau C, Camilleri J, Laurent P, About I. Characterization and angiogenic potential of xenogeneic bone grafting materials: Role of periodontal ligament cells. Dent Mater J. 2016;35(6):900–7.
17. Katrien J, Dijike P ten, Janssens S, Hul W Van. Transforming growth factor-β1 to the Bone. Endocr Rev. 2005;26(6):743–74.
18. Borton AJ, Frederick JP, Datto MB, Wang X, Weinstein RS. The loss of SMAD3 results in a lower rate of bone formation and osteopenia through dysregulation of osteoblast differentiation and apoptosis. J Bone Miner Res. 2001;16(10):1754–64.
19. Yuli N, Wibi R, Nur P, Edy W, Respati SD. Effect of Aloe vera gel on the expression of FGF-2, TGF-β, and Smad3 in the root surface of rat teeth after Traumatic avulsion. Res J Pharm Technol. 2019;12(9):4405-9.
20. Shapiro F, Wu JY. Woven bone overview: Structural classification based on its integral role in developmental, repair and pathological bone formation throughout vertebrate groups. Eur Cells Mater. 2019;38: 137–67.
21. Kresnoadi U, Ariani M, Djulaeha E, Hendrijantini N. The potential of mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana) peel extract, combined with demineralized freeze-dried bovine bone xenograft, to reduce ridge resorption and alveolar bone regeneration in preserving the tooth extraction socket. J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2017;17(3):282.
22. Lin HK, Pan YH, Salamanca E, Lin YT, Chang WJ. Prevention of bone resorption by HA/β-TCP+collagen composite after tooth extraction: A case series. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019;16(23):4616.
23. Pagni G, Pellegrini G, Giannobile W V, Rasperini G. Postextraction alveolar ridge preservation: Biological basis and treatments. Int J Dent. 2012;2012.
24. Nugraha AP, Rezkita F, Puspitaningrum S, Luthfimaidah MS, Narmada B, Prahasanti C, Ernawati DS, Rantam FA. Gingival mesenchymal stem cells and chitosan scaffold to accelerate alveolar bone remodelling in periodontitis: A narrative review. Res J Pharm Technol. 2020;13(5):2502-6.
25. Sudarmono, Widyaputra S, Sitam S, Suherna I, Fitri AD, Rachman A. Comparison of bone regeneration in hADMSC versus hUCBMSC with hBMMSC as a reference: A literature review of potential bone regeneration. Res J Pharm Technol. 2021;14(4):1993-8.
26. Subashree R., Arjunkumar R. Vitamin D deficiency in periodontal health. Res J Pharm Technol. 2014;7(2):248-252.
27. Oryan A, Alemzadeh E, Moshiri A. Potential role of propolis in wound healing: Biological properties and therapeutic activities. Biomed Pharmacother. 2018;98: 469–83.
28. Kumar P, Vinitha B, Fathima G. Bone grafts in dentistry. J Pharm Bioallied Sci. 2013;5(Suppl 1):125–8.
29. Meimandi-parizi A, Oryan A, Sayahi E, Bigham-sadegh A. Propolis extract a new reinforcement material in improving bone healing: An in vivo study. Int J Surg. 2018;56: 94–101.
30. Hozzein WN, Badr G, Al-Ghamdi AA, Sayed A, Al-Waili NS, Garraud O. Topical application of propolis enhances cutaneous wound healing by promoting TGF-beta/Smad-mediated collagen production in a streptozotocin-induced type i diabetic mouse model. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2015;37(3):940–54.
31. Kresnoadi U, Rahmania PN, Caesar HU, Djulaeha E, Agustono B, Ari MD. The role of the combination of Moringa oleifera leaf extract and demineralized freeze-dried bovine bone xenograft (xenograft) as tooth extraction socket preservation materials on osteocalcin and transforming growth factor-beta 1 expressions in alveolar bone of Cavia cobaya. J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2019;19(2):120.
32. Nurdiana, Dantara TWI, Syaban MFR, Mustafa SA, Ikhsani H, Syafitri FE, Hapsari NK, Khoirunnisa A. Effect of Bryophyllum pinnatum leaves ethanol extract in tnf-α and tgf-β as candidate therapy of SLE in pristane-induced SLE BALB/c mice model. Res J Pharm Technol. 2021;14(2):1069-1072.
33. Srivastava A, Mishra A, Rai AK. NSAIDs-Alendronate based prodrug for bone specific drug targeting. Res J Pharm Technol . 2020;13(7): 3520-3523.
34. Hjelmeland AB, Schilling SH, Guo X, Quarles D, Wang X. Loss of Smad3-mediated negative regulation of Runx2 activity leads to an alteration in cell fate determination. Mol Cell Biochem. 2005;25(21):9460–8.
35. Kaji H, Naito J, Sowa H, Sugimoto T, Chihara K. Smad3 differently affects osteoblast differentiation depending upon its differentiation stage. Horm Metab Res. 2006;38(1):740–5.
36. Ahn J, Shin H. Bone tissue formation in extraction sockets from sites with advanced periodontal disease: A histomorphometric study in humans. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2008;23(6):1133–8.