Ishwar Singh Dharmshktu, Sarita Rawat, Karuna Dhaundhiyal, Sachchidanand Pathak, Vivek Keshari, Deepak Kumar, Kamlesh Singh, Anurag Mishra
firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Ishwar Singh Dharmshktu1,2, Sarita Rawat3,4, Karuna Dhaundhiyal3, Sachchidanand Pathak5, Vivek Keshari5, Deepak Kumar5, Kamlesh Singh5, Anurag Mishra6
1Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopedics, Dr. Susheela Tiwari Government Hospital and Medical College Haldwani Nanital Uttarakhand.
2Junior Resident- SMS Medical College, Jaipur, Rajasthan.
3Amrapali Group of Institute, Haldwani Nainital Uttarakhand.
4PhD. Research scholar Suresh Gyan Vihar University Jaipur, Rajasthan.
5Kashi Institute of Pharmacy, Mirzamurad, Varanasi.
6Nims Institute of Pharmacy, NIMS University Jaipur Rajasthan.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 10,
Year - 2023
Objectives: COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease 2019) infections have been related to a variety of fungal and bacterial co-infections. This case report includes the case of a COVID-19-infected patient who acquired rhino-orbital mucormycosis after undergoing COVID-19 treatment. We have discussed a COVID-19-infected patient who developed rhino-orbital mucormycosis during treatment in this case report8. Case Report: A 32-year-old female patient was admitted for treatment after testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 by reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR). She was later diagnosed with rhino-orbital mucormycosis. She received dexamethasone i.v BD and on Oxygen over the course of the admission; she developed symptoms of orbital cellulitis after few days. Soft tissue edoema was found in the left eye and paranasal sinuses on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). A nasal biopsy revealed broad aseptate filamentous fungal hyphae, which led to the diagnosis of mucormycosis. Conclusions: The use of steroids and oxygen therapy often may result in the development or worsening of a fungal infection. Doctors should be concerned about the possibility of secondary invasive fungal infections in patients who already have COVID-19 infection.
Cite this article:
Ishwar Singh Dharmshktu, Sarita Rawat, Karuna Dhaundhiyal, Sachchidanand Pathak, Vivek Keshari, Deepak Kumar, Kamlesh Singh, Anurag Mishra. Post Covid-19 Mucormycosis (Black fungus): A Cases Report. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(10):4607-9. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00750
Ishwar Singh Dharmshktu, Sarita Rawat, Karuna Dhaundhiyal, Sachchidanand Pathak, Vivek Keshari, Deepak Kumar, Kamlesh Singh, Anurag Mishra. Post Covid-19 Mucormycosis (Black fungus): A Cases Report. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(10):4607-9. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00750 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-10-20
1. Poyuran R, Dharan BS, Sandhyamani S, Narasimhaiah D. Mucormycosis-induced ileocecal perforation : A case report and review of literature A 17-year-old boy diagnosed with a cyanotic congenital heart disease at 8 months of age was admitted. J Postgrad Med. 2021;66(1):48-50. doi:10.4103/jpgm.JPGM
2. Rawat S, Singh Dhramshaktu I, Pathak S, et al. The Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic Infection in Patients Admitted to the Hospital for Reasons Other Than COVID-19 Infection. Altern Ther Health Med. 2020;26(S2):108-111.
3. Chitasombat MN, Kontoyiannis DP. Treatment of mucormycosis in transplant patients: Role of surgery and of old and new antifungal agents. Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2016;29(4):340-345. doi:10.1097/QCO.0000000000000277
4. Huang C, Huang L, Wang Y, et al. 6-month consequences of COVID-19 in patients discharged from hospital: a cohort study. Lancet. 2021;397(10270):220-232. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(20)32656-8
5. Mankar SD, Poonam W, Jejurkar P. Review on Mucormycosis: It is a life Threatening infection. Asian J Res Pharm Sci. 2021;11(4):316-318. doi:10.52711/2231-5659.2021.00049
6. Soriano V, Mendoza C De, Gómez-gallego F, Corral O, Barreiro P. Third wave of COVID-19 in Madrid , Spain. Published online 2021:1-5. doi:10.1016/j.ijid.2021.04.074
7. Sharma NA. Mucormycosis: Why Incidence Rate is more in Covid -19 patients. Asian J Nurs Educ Res. 2021;11(04):599-600. doi:10.52711/2349-2996.2021.00139
8. Belvis R. Headaches During COVID-19: My Clinical Case and Review of the Literature. Headache. 2020;60(7):1422-1426. doi:10.1111/head.13841
9. Aniket D, Patil A, Dhole K, Pratik K, Dhandore Y, Murgude MM. A Review on Mucormycosis (Black Fungus) and its Recent Study. Asian J Res Chem. 2021;14(October):393-394. doi:10.52711/0974-4150.2021.00067
10. Yeo CD, Kim JS, Kwon SH, et al. Rhinocerebral mucormycosis after functional endoscopic sinus surgery A case report. Med (United States). 2018;97(51):2-5. doi:10.1097/MD. 0000013290
11. Sakamoto H, Itonaga H, Sawayama Y, et al. Primary oral mucormycosis due to rhizopus microsporus after allogeneic stem cell transplantation. Intern Med. 2018;57(17):2567-2571. doi:10.2169/internalmedicine.0474-17
12. Patel AK, Davidson TM. Mucormycosis. Head Neck Manifestations Syst Dis. 2007;13(3):197-212. doi:10.52711/2321-5836.2021.00019
13. Dhakad GG, V. Patil R, I. Chaudhari T, A. Patil. P. Review on Adverse effects or side effects of Remdisivir. Res J Pharmacol Pharmacodyn. 2021;13(4):162-166. doi:10.52711/2321-5836.2021.00030
14. Muthukumar S, Noori Irfana Parvin MK, Shobana S, Vimala N, Vinesha R, Sundaraganapathy R. Formulation and evaluation of novel herbal ointment for the treatment of fungal infection. Res J Pharm Technol. 2021;14(3):1459-1464. doi:10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00325.5
15. Arora R, Khan R, Ojha A, Chopra H, Upadhyaya K. Formulation and characterization of terbinafine emulgel for superficial fungal infections. Res J Pharm Technol. 2018;11(11):5029-5036. doi:10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00917.4
16. Aniket D, Sudha J. Mucormycosis its Pathogenesis and Treatment. Res J Sci Technol. 2021;13(03):205-207. doi:10.52711/2349-2988.2021.00031
17. Gupta R, Saikhedkar R. Spontaneous Necrosis of the Maxilla in an Immunocompetent Patient: A Case Report. Res J Pharmacol Pharmacodyn.2019;11(3):89.doi:10.5958/2321-836.2019.00015.6
18. Jeong W, Keighley C, Wolfe R, et al. The epidemiology and clinical manifestations of mucormycosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis of case reports. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2019; 25(1): 26-34. doi:10.1016/j.cmi.2018.07.011
19. D’cruz D, Joshy E, Mathew J, Nair SC. Insights to the ethiopathogenesis of human nail diseases. Res J Pharm Technol. 2015;8(3):328. doi:10.5958/0974-360x.2015.00054.2