Rohit Dutt, Sweta Kamboj, Rohit Kamboj
Rohit Dutt1, Sweta Kamboj1,2*, Rohit Kamboj2
1G. D. Goenka University, Gurugram, Haryana.
2Guru Gobind Singh College of Pharmacy, Yamuna Nagar, Haryana.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 10,
Year - 2023
Escitalopram Oxalate (EO) a well-known selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) shows an antidepressant activity. EO function is through raising serotonin levels in the brain, which is a chemical messenger. It regulates depressions of mental and physical symptoms, anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorders. In this validation method, the HPLC was carried out on Waters -515 HPLC system with an Atlantis Hilic Silica, 5m, C-18 column (4.6250mm) Milford, USA. The identification of sample was done at 238nm, and the duration of retention was found roughly 4.7 minutes for EO. The total run time for the sample analysis was 6 minutes. A concentration ranging from 100-600µg/ml was prepared and the calibration plot revealed a linear relationship. The LOD and LOQ was found to be 111.27g and 337.19g respectively. The proposed method found to have 97 - 105.67% accuracy. The method precision was found within acceptable limits, according to conventional solution repeatability testing. The robustness results were also within acceptable limits. The proposed approach demonstrated outstanding linearity, accuracy, precision, robustness, and LOD and LOQ values that met the requirements. In addition, this new validated method has short run time and a retention time of 4.7 minutes. The present study designed and evaluated a speedy, simple, accurate, precise, and linear HPLC analytical method for EO stability indication. It can be used for quality control examination on a regular basis. The analytical method parameters and mobile phase solvents were found to give high resolution for Escitalopram Oxalate.
Cite this article:
Rohit Dutt, Sweta Kamboj, Rohit Kamboj. Development and Validation of Analytical Method by Reverse Phase HPLC for the Estimation of Escitalopram oxalate in Bulk and Dosage form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(10):4549-3. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00741
Rohit Dutt, Sweta Kamboj, Rohit Kamboj. Development and Validation of Analytical Method by Reverse Phase HPLC for the Estimation of Escitalopram oxalate in Bulk and Dosage form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(10):4549-3. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00741 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-10-11
1. Cherian IP, Gohil K. Cautious optimism for growth in Alzheimer’s disease treatments. Pharma Therap. 2015; 40(4): 288-289.
2. Jiang KD, Li LJ, Wang XY, Fang MS, Shi JF, Cao QY, et al. Efficacy and tolerability of escitalopram in treatment of major depressive disorder with anxiety symptoms: a 24-week, open-label, prospective study in Chinese population. Neuropsychiatric Diseaseand Treatment. 2017; 3: 515-26.doi: 10.2147/ndt.s120190.
3. Devin P, Joga G. Clinical pharmacology review of escitalopram for the treatment of depression. Expert Opinion on Drug Metabolism and Toxicology. 2013; 10(1): 121-28.doi: 10.1517/17425255.2014.863873.
4. Eiji K. Escitalopram for the management of major depressive disorder: a review of its efficacy, safety, and patient acceptability. Patient Preference and Adherence. 2012; 6: 853-61. doi https://doi.org/10.2147/ppa.s22495.
5. John W, Goa KL. Escitalopram A Review of its Use in the Management of Major Depressive and Anxiety Disorders. CNS Drugs. 2003; 17(5): 343-62.doi: 10.2165/00023210-200317050-00004.
6. Om P, Shazia U, Ruchi S, Namrata S, Amresh G, Akash V. A panoramic view on phytochemical, nutritional, and therapeutic attributes of Ziziphus mauritiana Lam.: A comprehensive review. Phytotherapy Research. 2021; 35(1): 63-7.https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.6769.
7. Rong Fang F, Rui M, Peng W, Xu J, Zhen xiang Z, Meng meng L, et al. Efficacy of escitalopram for poststroke depression: a systematic review and meta analysis. Scientific reportsNature Research. 2022; 12(1): 5786. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-022-05560-w.
8. Hani N, Ramzi M, Moammal Q. Development and Validation of an HPLC Method for Determination of Antidiabetic Drug Alogliptin Benzoate in Bulk and Tablets. Journal of Analytical Methods in Chemistry. 2018; 1-7. 1902510. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/1902510.
9. Maryam BS, Hossein V, Abdul MA, Shirin H, Farzad K. RP-HPLC Method Development and Validation for Determination of Eptifibatide Acetate in Bulk Drug Substance and Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2017; 16(2): 490-97.
10. Amol SJ, Nilesh SP, Rupali VN, Poonam MB, Dayandeo BS. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for estimation of brexpiprazole in its bulk and tablet dosage form using Quality by Design approach. Future Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2021; 7(142): 1-2. https://doi.org/10.1186/s43094-021-00293-5.
11. Raut R, Shaji J. HPLC method validation for quantification of tetrahydrocurcumin in bulk drug and formulation. Future Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2021; 7(42): 1-6.
12. Mohyeddin A, Murad A, Nihal Z, Noura G. RP-HPLC Method Development and Validation of Synthesized Codrug in Combination with Indomethacin, Paracetamol, and Famotidine. International Journal of Analytical Chemistry. 2020:1-9. 1894907.doi: 10.1155/2020/1894907.
13. Sithole MN, Oosthuysen E, Jaarsveld JV, Dupreez JL, Duplessis J, Gerber M. Development and validation of an HPLC method to be used for simultaneous detection and quantification of different statins after ex vivo skin diffusion studies. Die Pharmazie. 2021; 76(12): 583-87.doi: 10.1691/ph.2021.1164.
14. Pawar HI, Kothapalli L, Thomas A, Nanda RK, Mare S. Simultaneous RP-HPLC Method for Estimation of Ezetimibe and Fenofibrate in Synthetic mixture, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008; 1(1): 25-8.
15. Nayan C, Ratnakar KN, Doshi DB. Development and validation of UV Spectrophotometric method for estimation of milnacipran HCl in bulk and tablet dosage form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2012; 5(3): 428-30.
16. Prasada Rao CH, Seshagiri Rao JVLN, Dhachinamoorthi D, Lakshmi Aswini G, Ashok K. Visible Spectrophotometric Determination of Abacavir Sulphate in Bulk Drug and Tablet Dosage Form Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011; 4(2): 234-36.
17. Ahmed G, Hani A, Crispin RD. Development and validation of a new analytical HPLC method for simultaneous determination of the antidiabetic drugs, metformin and gliclazide. Journal of Food and Drug Analysis. 2019; 27(1): 315-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfda.2018.06.007.
18. Hany WD, Nesma AA, Ibrahim AN, Mohamed RG, Abdullah MH, Maha MAA. Development and validation of a stability indicating RP-HPLC-DAD method for the determination of bromazepam. PLoS One. 2021; 16(3):e0244951. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0244951.
19. Dure NI, Adeel A, Munawar I, Arif N. Analytical method development and validation of hydrocortisone and clotrimazole in topical dosage form using RP-HPLC. Future Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2020; 6(49): 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1186/s43094-020-00065-7.
20. Jayswal UP, Patel HU, Patel CN. A Validated Stability Indicating RP-HPLC Method for Cefditoren Pivoxil in Bulk Drug and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011; 4(9): 1461-64.
21. Santhosh MR, Channa Basavaraj KP, Jose GBC, Tamizh MT. Validated RP- HPLC Method for the Quantitation of Nebivolol in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2010; 3(4): 1667-69.
22. Krishna RV, Pallavi A, Sathyanarayana B. A rapid RP-HPLC stability-indicating method development and validation of moxifloxacin hydrochloride-related substances in finished dosage forms. Biomedical Chromatography. 2021; 35(11): e5192. doi: 10.1002/bmc.5192.
23. Kommareddy S, Nigam RS, Kumar S. Development and validation of a stability-indicating RP-HPLC method for the identification, determination of related substances and assay of dimethyl fumarate in drug substance. Annales Pharmaceutiques Françaises. 2021; 79(2):179-93. doi: 10.1016/j.pharma.2020.10.002.
24. Chaolong Q, Wanshan F, Yen Ju C, Jong BL, Mattia B, Sara B, et al. Development and validation of a cost-effective and sensitive bioanalytical HPLC-UV method for determination of lopinavir in rat and human plasma. Biomedical Chromatography. 2020; 34(11): e4934. doi: 10.1002/bmc.4934.
25. Sameer N, Suresh K. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for estimation of curcumin from nanocochleates and its application in in-vivo pharmacokinetic study. Acta Chimica Slovenica. 2020; 67(4): 1100-10. DOI: 10.17344/acsi.2020.5892
26. Hayat MM, Amandeep S, Varinder S, Atinderpal S, Hardeep K. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for the determination of stigmasterol in the botanical extract of Ficus deltoidea. Natural Product Research. 2019; 33(19): 2868-2872. doi: 10.1080/14786419.2018.1503661.
27. Kadam GM, Puyad AL, Kalyankar TM. RP-HPLC Method Development and Validation for the Estimation of Sacubitril and Valsartan in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(11):5797-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.01008,
28. Khimani R, Kapupara P. Development and Validation of HPLC Method for determination of Ilaprazole and Levosulpride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11(4): 1491-95.
29. Venkateshwarlu P, Patel MM. Method Development and Validation of Degradation Studies of Lenalidomide by RP-HPLC. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(8):4281-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00744,
30. Pradhan M, Alexander M, Ajazuddin. Development and Validation of a Robust RP-HPLC Method for Analysis of Calcipotriol in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(2): 579-83.