Rakesh Pahwa, Chetna, Kamal Saroha, Bigul Yogeshver Bhardwaj, Manish Kumar, Inderbir Singh
Rakesh Pahwa1*, Chetna1, Kamal Saroha1, Bigul Yogeshver Bhardwaj1, Manish Kumar2, Inderbir Singh3
1Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra -136119, Haryana, India.
2M M College of Pharmacy, Maharishi Markandeshwar (Deemed to be University), Mullana, Haryana, 133207 India.
3Chitkara College of Pharmacy, Chitkara University, Rajpura, Dist. Patiala, Punjab, 140401 India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 9,
Year - 2022
Efficient delivery of phytoconstituents is almost challenging task for scientific community owing to predominantly imbalanced hydrophilicity and lipophilicity considerations. Phytoconstituents are mainly hydrophilic and reveal large molecular size which exhibit less absorption and poor bioavailability. Vesicular systems for instance phytosomes are recognized as unique and novel approach to enhance solubility and bioavailability of phytoconstituents and herbal extracts. These are complexed form of phytoconstituents and phospholipid molecules which are also called as phytophospholipid complex or herbosomes. Phytophospholipid complex has shown enhanced pharmacokinetic as well as pharmacodynamic properties in comparison to conventional dosage forms. Different methods have been utilized across the globe for phytosomes preparation such as solvent evaporation, anti-solvent precipitation, co-solvent lyophilization etc. The present review focuses on various approaches commonly employed in the preparation of phytosomes. Significant attributes, characterization aspects along with selection of dosage form for phytosomes have also been highlighted.
Cite this article:
Rakesh Pahwa, Chetna, Kamal Saroha, Bigul Yogeshver Bhardwaj, Manish Kumar, Inderbir Singh. Insights into various approaches of Phytosomes for Enhanced Therapeutic Potential of Bioactives. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(9):4277-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00718
Rakesh Pahwa, Chetna, Kamal Saroha, Bigul Yogeshver Bhardwaj, Manish Kumar, Inderbir Singh. Insights into various approaches of Phytosomes for Enhanced Therapeutic Potential of Bioactives. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(9):4277-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00718 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-9-78
1. Alexander A, Ajazuddin, Patel R, Saraf S. Recent expansion of pharmaceutical nanotechnologies and targeting strategies in the field of phytopharmaceuticals for the delivery of herbal extracts and bioactives. Journal of Controlled Release. 2016; 241(3): 110-124.
2. Talware N, Dias R, Gupta V. Recent approaches in the development of phospholipid complexes as novel drug delivery. Current Drug Delivery. 2018; 15(6): 755-764.
3. Lu M, Qiu Q, Luo X, Liu X, Sun J, Wang C, Lin X, Deng Y, Song Y. Phyto-phospholipid complexes (Phytosomes): A novel strategy to improve the bioavailability of active constituents. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2019; 14(3): 265-274.
4. Bhattacharya S. Phytosome: the new technology for enhancement of bioavailability of botanicals and nutraceutical. International Journal of Health Research 2009; 2(3): 225-232.
5. Suryawanshi JS. Phytosome: an emerging trend in herbal drug treatment. Journal of Medical Genetics and Genomics. 2011; 3(6): 109-114.
6. Singh AK, Singh A. Phyto-phospholipid complexes: a potential novel carrier system for improving bioavailability of phytoconstituents. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(2): 1059-1066.
7. Khan J, Alexander A, Saraf S, Saraf S. Recent advances and future prospects of phyto-phospholipid complexation technique for improving pharmacokinetic profile of plant actives. Journal of Controlled Release. 2013; 168(1): 50-60.
8. Tripathy S, Patel DK, Barob L, Naira SK. A review on phytosomes, their characterization, advancement & potential for transdermal application. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2013; 3(3): 147-152.
9. Kalita B, Das MK, Sharma AK. Novel phytosome formulations in making herbal extracts more effective. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013; 6(11): 1295-1301.
10. Amin T, Bhat SV. A review on phytosome technology as a novel approach to improve the bioavailability of nutraceuticals. International Journal of Advancement in Research and Technology. 2012; 1(3): 1-5.
11. Azeez NA, Deepa VS, Sivapriya V. Phytosomes: emergent promising nano vesicular drug delivery system for targeted tumor therapy. Advances in Natural Sciences: Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. 2018; 9(3): 033001.
12. Bhokare S, Dhogaonkar C, Lahane S, Salunke P, Sawale V, Thombare M. Herbal novel drug delivery – a review. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016; 5(8): 593-611.
13. Singh A, Saharan VA, Singh M, Bhandari A. Phytosome: drug delivery system for polyphenolic phytoconstituents. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2011; 7(4): 209-219.
14. Karataş A, Turhan F. Phyto-phospholipid complexes as drug delivery system for herbal extracts/molecules. Turkish Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015; 12(1): 93-102.
15. Saha S, Sarma A, Saikia P, Chakrabarty T. Phytosome: a brief overview. Scholars Academic Journal of Pharmacy. 2013; 2(1):12-20.
16. Pawar AH, Bhangale DB. Phytosome as a novel biomedicine: a microencapsulation drug delivery system. Bioanalysis & Biomedicine. 2015; 7(1): 006-012.
17. Nimbalkar CK, Hatware K. Phytosomes-novel drug delivery system. Indian Journal of Drugs. 2017; 5(51): 16-36.
18. Huang Z, Brennan CS, Zhao H, Liu J, Guan W, Mohan MS, Stipkovits L, Zheng H, Kulasiri D. Fabrication and assessment of milk phospholipid-complexed antioxidant phytosomes with vitamin C and E: a comparison with liposomes. Food Chemistry. 2020; 324:126837.
19. Freag MS, Saleh WM, Abdallah OY. Laminated chitosan-based composite sponges for transmucosal delivery of novel protamine-decorated tripterine phytosomes: ex-vivo in-vivo pharmacokinetic assessments. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2018; 188(2): 108-120.
20. Kalita B, Das MK, Sarma M, Deka A. Sustained anti-inflammatory effect of resveratrol phospholipid complex embedded polymeric patch. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2017; 18(3): 629-645.
21. Gahandule MB, Jadhav SJ, Gadhave MV, Gaikwad D. Formulation and development of hepato-protective butea monosperma-phytosome. International Journal of Research in Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016; 4(1): 21-27.
22. Yu F, Li Y, Chen Q, He Y, Wang H, Yang L, Guo S, Meng Z, Cui J, Xue M, Chen XD. Monodisperse microparticles loaded with the self-assembled berberine-phospholipid complex-based phytosomes for improving oral bioavailability and enhancing hypoglycemic efficiency. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics. 2016; 103(1): 136-148.
23. Kalita B, Das MK. Resveratrol-phospholipid complexes (phytosomes) with improved physicochemical properties favorable for drug delivery via skin. World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2015; 4(5): 1497-1517.
24. Alhakamy NA, A Fahmy U, Badr-Eldin SM, Ahmed OA, Asfour HZ, Aldawsari HM, Algandaby MM, Eid BG, Abdel-Naim AB, Awan ZA, K Alruwaili N. Optimized icariin phytosomes exhibit enhanced cytotoxicity and apoptosis-inducing activities in ovarian cancer cells. Pharmaceutics. 2020; 12(4): 346.
25. Rajput RP, Chakravarty C, Bhardwaj KS. Preparation and evaluation of phytosome of herbal plant of Lawsonia inermis L. for topical application, Journal of Innovation in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2019; 3(2): 9-11.
26. Singh RP, Gangadharappa HV, Mruthunjaya K. Phytosome complexed with chitosan for gingerol delivery in the treatment of respiratory infection: In vitro and In vivo evaluation. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018; 122(4): 214-229.
27. Jain S, Dhanotiya C, Malviya N. Physicochemical characterization and determination of free radical scavenging activity of rutin-phospholipid complex. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2012; 3(3): 909-913.
28. Freag MS, Elnaggar YS, Abdallah OY. Lyophilized phytosomal nanocarriers as platforms for enhanced diosmin delivery: optimization and ex vivo permeation. International Journal of Nanomedicine. 2013; 8: 2385-2397.
29. Cui F, Shi K, Zhang L, Tao A, Kawashima Y. Biodegradable nanoparticles loaded with insulin–phospholipid complex for oral delivery: preparation, in vitro characterization and in vivo evaluation. Journal of Controlled Release. 2006; 114(2): 242-250.
30. Telange DR, Sohail NK, Hemke AT, Kharkar PS, Pethe AM. Phospholipid complex-loaded self-assembled phytosomal soft nanoparticles: evidence of enhanced solubility, dissolution rate, ex vivo permeability, oral bioavailability, and antioxidant potential of mangiferin. Drug Delivery and Translational Research. 2020:1-28.
31. Ebada HM, Nasra MM, Elnaggar YS, Abdallah OY. Novel rhein–phospholipid complex targeting skin diseases: development, in vitro, ex vivo, and in vivo studies. Drug Delivery and Translational Research. 2020; 19: 1-2.
32. Yu Z, Liu X, Chen H, Zhu L. Naringenin-loaded dipalmitoylphosphatidylcholine phytosome dry powders for inhaled treatment of acute lung injury. Journal of Aerosol Medicine and Pulmonary Drug Delivery. 2020; 33: 1-11.
33. El-Menshawe SF, Ali AA, Rabeh MA, Khalil NM. Nanosized soy phytosome based thermogel as topical anti-obesity formulation: an approach for acceptable level of evidence of an effective novel herbal weight loss product. International Journal of Nanomedicine. 2018; 13(2): 307-318.
34. Rajashekar K, Sundari PJP, Srinivas P. Development of a topical phytosomal gel of woodfordia fruticosa. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015; 4(11): 919-932.
35. Mazumder A, Dwivedi A, Preez JLD, Plessis JD. In vitro wound healing and cytotoxic effects of sinigrin–phytosome complex. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2015; 498(5): 283-293.
36. Li Y, Yang DJ, Chen SL, Chen SB, Chan AS. Comparative physicochemical characterization of phospholipids complex of puerarin formulated by conventional and supercritical methods. Pharmaceutical Research. 2008; 25(3): 563-577.
37. Vu HTH, Hook SM, Siqueira SD, Müllertz A, Rades T, McDowell A. Are phytosomes a superior nanodelivery system for the antioxidant rutin? International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2018; 548(1): 82-91.
38. Darshan TR, Arun PT, Anil PM, Fegade Harshal, Anand Sridhar, Dave S Vivek. Formulation and characterization of an apigenin-phospholipid phytosome (APLC) for improved solubility, in vivo bioavailability, and antioxidant potential. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016; 108: 36-49.
39. Ganesan V, Kaithavalappil SS, Kannappan M, Vasudevan DT. Formulation and in-vitro antimicrobial evaluation of herbosomal gels of extracts of Quercus infectoria and Acorus calamus. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences and Biotechnology. 2014; 2(2): 47-54.
40. Rasaie S, Ghanbarzadeh S, Mohammadi M, Hamishehkar H. Nano phytosomes of quercetin: a promising formulation for fortification of food products with antioxidants. Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014; 20(2): 96-101.
41. Bhattacharyya S, Ahmmed SM, Saha BP, Mukherjee PK. Soya phospholipid complex of mangiferin enhances its hepatoprotectivity by improving its bioavailability and pharmacokinetics. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 2013; 94(7): 1380-1388.
42. El-Gazayerly ON, Makhlouf AIA, Soelm AMA, Mohmoud MA. Antioxidant and hepatoprotective effects of silymarin phytosomes compared to milk thistle extract in CCl4 induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Journal of Microencapsulation. 2014; 31(1): 23-30.
43. Allam AN, Komeil IA, Abdallah OY. Curcumin phytosomal soft gel formulation development, optimization and physicochemical characterization. Acta Pharmaceutica. 2015; 65(3): 285-297.
44. Bhattacharyya S, Majhi S, Saha BP, Mukherjee PK. Chlorogenic acid–phospholipid complex improve protection against UVA induced oxidative stress. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology. 2014; 130: 293-298.
45. Murugan V, Mukherjee K, Maiti K, Mukherjee PK. Enhanced oral bioavailability and antioxidant profile of ellagic acid by phospholipids. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2009; 57(11): 4559-4565.
46. Pande SD, Wagh AS, Bhagure LB, Patil SG, Deshmukh AR. Preparation and evaluation of phytosomes of pomegrane peels. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2015; 8(4): 416-422.
47. Zhang J, Tang Q, Xu X, Li N. Development and evaluation of a novel phytosome-loaded chitosan microsphere system for curcumin delivery. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2013; 448(1): 168-174.
48. Zaveri M, Gajjar H, Kanaki N, Patel S. Preparation and evaluation of drug phospholipids complex for increasing transdermal penetration of phytoconstituents. International Journal of Institutional Pharmacy and Life Sciences. 2011; 1(3): 80-93.
49. Sethi B, Sahdev AK, Purwar S. Development, optimization characterization and in vitro study of rosmarinic acid phytovesicles. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(11): 5231-5239.
50. Patel CJ, Tyagi S, Patel P, Yadav A. Phytosomes: a current trend for enhancement of bioavailability of polar phytoconstituents. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2014; 6(1): 44-49.
51. Naik SR, Panda VS. Hepatoprotective effect of ginkgo select phytosome in rifampicin induced liver injury in rats: evidence of antioxidant activity. Fitoterapia. 2008; 79: 439-45.
52. Maiti K, Mukherjee K, Gantait A, Ahamed HA, Saha BP, Mukherjee PK. Enhanced therapeutic benefit of quercetin-phospholipid complex in carbon tetrachloride induced acute liver injury in rats: a comparative study. Iranian Journal of Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2005; 4: 84-90.
53. Maiti K, Mukherjee K, Murugan V, Saha BP, Mukherjee PK. Enhancing bioavailability and hepatoprotective activity of andrographolide from Andrographis paniculata, a well-known medicinal food, through its herbosome. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 2010; 90: 43-51.
54. Khan J, Saraf S. Preparation and evaluation of luteolin–phospholipid complex as an effective drug delivery tool against GalN/LPS induced liver damage. Pharmaceutical Development and Technology. 2016; 21: 475-486.
55. Jain PK, Kharya M, Gajbhiye A. Pharmacological evaluation of mangiferin herbosomes for antioxidant and hepatoprotection potential against ethanol induced hepatic damage. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy. 2013; 39: 1840-1850.
56. Flaig TW, Gustafson DL, Su LJ, Zirrolli JA, Crighton F, Harrison GS, Pierson AS, Agarwal R, Glodé LM. A phase 1 and pharmacokinetic study of silybin-phytosome in prostate cancer patients. Invest New Drugs. 2007; 25: 139-146.
57. Marjaneh RM, Rahmani F, Hassanian SM, Rezaei N, Hashemzehi M, Bahrami A, Ariakia F, Fiuji H, Sahebkar A, Avan A, Khazaei M. Phytosomal curcumin inhibits tumor growth in colitis‐associated colorectal cancer. Journal of Cellular Physiology. 2018; 233: 6785-6798.
58. Sabzichi M, Hamishehkar H, Ramezani F, Sharifi S, Tabasinezhad M, Pirouzpanah M, Ghanbari P, Samadi N. Luteolin-loaded phytosomes sensitize human breast carcinoma MDA-MB 231 cells to doxorubicin by suppressing Nrf2 mediated signalling. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention 2014; 15: 5311-5316.
59. Gallo D, Giacomelli S, Ferlini C, Raspaglio G, Apollonio P, Prislei S, Riva A, Morazzoni P, Bombardelli E, Scambia G. Antitumour activity of the silybin-phosphatidylcholine complex, IdB 1016, against human ovarian cancer. European Journal of Cancer. 2003; 39: 2403-2410.
60. Sharma S, Roy RK, Shrivastava B. Antiproliferative effect of phytosome complex of methanolic extract of Terminalia arjuna bark on human breast cancer cell lines (MCF-7). International Journal of Drug Development and Research. 2015; 7: 173-182.
61. Sundaraganapathy, Leena PN. Development and evaluation of anti-cancer activity of phytosome formulated from the root extract of Clerodendron paniculatum Linn. International Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemical Research. 2016; 8: 1778-1781.
62. Kennedy DO, Haskell CF, Mauri PL, Scholey AB. Acute cognitive effects of standardized Ginkgo biloba extract complexed with phosphatidylserine. Human Psychopharmacology. 2007; 22: 199-210.
63. Habbu P, Madagundi S, Kulkarni R, Jadav S, Vanakudri R, Kulkarni V. Preparation and evaluation of Bacopa phospholipid complex for amnesic activity in rodents. Drug Invention Today. 2013; 5(1): 13-21.
64. Devi SL, Divakar MC. Wound healing activity studies of Wrightia arborea phytosomes in rat. Hygeia: Jounal of Drugs and Medicines. 2012; 4: 87-94.