Mohammed Kamil Hadi, Nedaa A. Hameed A. Rahim, Ahmed T. Sulaiman, Rusul Mohammed Hasan Ali
Mohammed Kamil Hadi, Nedaa A. Hameed A. Rahim, Ahmed T. Sulaiman, Rusul Mohammed Hasan Ali
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, College of Pharmacy, University of Baghdad, Iraq.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 9,
Year - 2022
A new series of schiff base and aminothiadiazole derivatives of N- substituted phthalimide (I-VI) were synthesized. In this work, the intermediate 4-(1,3-dioxoisoindolin-2-yl)benzaldehyde compound (I), was formed by reaction of 4-amino benzaldehyde with phthalic anhydride in glacial acetic acid(GAA). A series of Schiff bases (IV-VI) was prepared by the reaction of benzidine with compound (I) in ethanol and presence of GAA as a catalyst to form compound (IV) which react with compound (I) and p-nitro benzyldehyde to give compound (V) and (VI) respectively. A new phthalimide thiosemi-carbazone derivative (ll) was prepared by reaction of compound (l) with thiosemi-carbazide HCl in the presence of equimolar amount of sodium acetate. Finally, a new phthalimide containing (1,3,4- thiadiazole ring) compound (III) was formed by bromine mediated “oxidative intramolecular cyclization” of compound (I) in the presence of sodium acetate. All of the final target compounds' structures were successfully synthesized and confirmed using analytical and spectroscopic data. These compounds were identified and confirmed by melting points, TLC, FT IR, and 1H NMR. While the antimicrobial effect of the new derivatives has been assessed in vitro against G-positive, G-negative bacteria and fungi activity. All screened compounds exhibited no activity against G-positive bacteria (Staph. Aureus, and Bacillus subtilis). Many of synthesized compounds displayed moderate effect against “G-negative bacteria Escherichia coli, and Klebsiella pneumonia and against Candida tropicalis”. While the best antifungal activity was obtained from compound I which has high activity against Candida tropicalis.
Cite this article:
Mohammed Kamil Hadi, Nedaa A. Hameed A. Rahim, Ahmed T. Sulaiman, Rusul Mohammed Hasan Ali. Synthesis, Characterization and Preliminary Antimicrobial Evaluation of New Schiff bases and Aminothiadiazole Derivatives of N- Substituted Phthalimide. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(9):3861-5. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00647
Mohammed Kamil Hadi, Nedaa A. Hameed A. Rahim, Ahmed T. Sulaiman, Rusul Mohammed Hasan Ali. Synthesis, Characterization and Preliminary Antimicrobial Evaluation of New Schiff bases and Aminothiadiazole Derivatives of N- Substituted Phthalimide. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(9):3861-5. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00647 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-9-7
1. Halah AS, and Mohammed H.M,. Synthesis and Preliminary Biological Activity Evaluation of New N- Substituted Phthalimide Derivatives. Iraqi J Pharm Sci. 2020; 29(1):247-252. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31351/vol29iss1pp247-252
2. Ahmed Abduljabbar Jaloob Aljanaby, Israa Abduljabbar Jaloob Aljanaby. Profile of Antimicrobial Resistance of Aerobic Pathogenic Bacteria isolated from Different Clinical Infections in Al-Kufa Central Hospital –Iraq During period from 2015 to 2017. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2017; 10(10):3264-3270. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2017.00579.0
3. Reygaert WC. An overview of the antimicrobial resistance mechanisms of bacteria. AIMS Microbiology. 2018; 4(3):482.
4. Sarka P, Hana M, Iva K, et al Synthesis and Spectrum of Biological Activities of Novel N-arylcinnamamides. Int J Mol Sci. 2018; 19(8): 2318. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms19082318
5. Venkat Abhiram Earny, Venkatesh Kamath, Anuraag Muralidharan, Vandana K E, Kanav Khera. Marine Microbial Metabolites: A new wave of drugs for Combating Antimicrobial Resistance. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(4):2348-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00414 DOI: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00414
6. Tsemeugne J, Fondjo ES, Tamokou J, Rohand T, Ngongang AD, Kuiate JR, et al. Activity of a Novel Trisazo Dye from 3-Amino-4H-thieno [ 3 ,4-c ][ 1 ] benzopyran-4-one. Int J Med Chem. 2018;2(18):1–8. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/9197821
7. Suresh D. Bagul, Jamatsing D. Rajput, Samina K. Tadavi, and Ratnamala S. Bendre: Design, synthesis and biological activities of novel5-isopropyl-2-methylphenolhydrazide-basedsulfonamide derivatives. Res Chem Intermed. 2016.
8. Irina VG, Elena VT, Yuliya VB, et al. Synthesis and Antimicrobial Activity of Bis-4,6-sulfonamidated 5,7-Dinitrobenzofuroxans. Journal of Chemistry. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/367351
9. Bansode TN, Shelke J V, Dongre VG. Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of some new N-acyl substituted phenothiazines. Eur J Med Chem. 2009; 44(12): 5094–5098. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmech.2009.07.006
10. Ashif, Jyoti Sharma, Gopal Ji Baranwal, Shamim Ahmad, M Shamsher Alam. Phthalimides: Biological Profile and Recent Advancements. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 6(7): July 2013; Page 711-714.
11. Jean LD, Paulo RY, Man CC, et al. Synthesis and in vitro anti Mycobacterium tuberculosis activity of a series of phthalimide derivatives. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry. 2009; 17(11):3795-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bmc.2009.04.042
12. Bosquesi PL, Regina T, Melo F, et al. Anti-Inflammatory Drug Design. Using a Molecular Hybridization Approach. Pharmaceutical. 2011;4(11):1450–1474. https://doi.org/10.3390/ph4111450
13. Al-azzawi AM, Shawqi M, Razzak A. Synthesis , Characterization and antibacterial activity of Several New Schiff Bases Linked to Phthalimide Moiety. Kerbala J Pharm Sci. 2011; (2):124–133.
14. Maheswara CUMA, Jayakar RB, Srinivasan R. International Journal Of Pharma And Bio Sciences Synthesis And Antimicrobial Activity Of Α N92 Phthilimido And Acetimido Derivatives From Amino Acids And Anhydrides. Int J Pharma Bio Sci. 2010;1(4):81–86.
15. Lamie PF, Philoppes JN, El-gendy AO, et al. Design, Synthesis and Evaluation of Novel Phthalimide Derivatives as in Vitro Anti-Microbial, Anti-Oxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Agents. Molecules. 2015;20(9):16620–16642. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules200916620
16. Bach D, Liu J, Kyung W, et al. Synthesis and biological activity of new phthalimides as potential anti-inflammatory agents. Bioorg Med Chem. 2017; 25(13):3396–3405. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bmc.2017.04.027
17. Lima LM, Castro P, Machado AL, et al. Synthesis and Anti-Inflammatory Activity of Phthalimide Derivatives, Designed as New Thalidomide Analogues. Bioorg Med Chem. 2002; 10(9):3067–3073. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0968-0896(02)00152-9
18. Abdel-hafez AA. Synthesis and Anticonvulsant Evaluation of NSubstituted- Isoindolinedione Derivatives. Arch Pharm Res. 2014; 27(5):495–501. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31351/vol29iss1pp247-252
19. Nayab PS. New phthalimide‐appended Schiff bases: Studies of DNA binding, molecular docking and antioxidant activities. J Biol an Chem Lumin. 2016; 32(5):829–838.
21. Jawed HAM, Mohammed MH, Ismeal SH. Synthesis , Characterization and Alpha Glucosidase Inhibition Activity of New Phthalimide Derivatives. Iraqi J Pharm Sci. 2018;27(1):100–108. https://doi.org/10.1002/bio.3259
22. Vajragupta O, Boonchoong P. New Leads of HIV1 Integrase Inhibitors New Leads of HIV-1 Integrase Inhibitors. Mahidol Univ J Pharm Sci. 2016; 29(3–4):1–10.
23. Rasika A. Pophale MND. Synthesis and evaluation of novel phthalimide derivatives as analgesic and antiinflammatory agents. Der Pharma Chem. 2010;2(1):185–193
24. Lunkad A.S., Kothawade S.N., Jadhav D.V., Chaudhari P.S., Bornare S.P. Synthesis and Antimicrobial Activity of Some New Chalcones Containing Benzofuran and Benzofuran Schiff Bases. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 8(3): Mar., 2015; Page 276-279. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2015.00046.3
25. Yong JN, Mainsah EN, et al. Synthesis, Characterization and Antibacterial Studies of Some Isoniazid-derived Schiff Bases. International Research Journal of Pure and Applied Chemistry. 2016; 2:1-8. DOI: 10.9734/IRJPAC/2016/27100
26. Abhishek Kumar, Pankaj Kumar, Jean Sandra Pinto, Bhashini, Akshata. Synthesis and Antimicrobial Evaluation of Some new Coumarinyl Schiff Base Derivatives. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(11): 4946-4948. doi: 0.5958/0974-360X.2018.00900.9
27. Sharma R, Goswami A, Rudrapal M, et al. In vitro evaluation of the antimalarial activity of a designed novel quinuclidine derivative. Res Commun. 2016; 111(12):13–15.
28. Yeliz K, Ayşe E, Kerem K. Synthesis, characterization and antioxidant activities of dioxomolybdenum(VI) complexes of new Schiff bases derived from substituted benzophenones. Coord Chem. 2018; 71(20):3364–3380. https://doi.org/10.1080/00958972.2018.1516872
29. Valli G., Ramu K., Mareeswari P., Thanga Thirupathi A. Anti-inflammatory, CNS and Insilico drug activities of 2-((4-Hydroxyphenylimino) methyl) phenol Schiff Base. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 5(11): November, 2012; Page 1457-1460.
30. Husain A, Varshney MM, Parcha V, Ahmad A, et al. Synthesis and biological evaluation of new hydrazide-Schiff bases. Bangladesh Journal of Pharmacology. 2015; 10(3):555-61. DOI: 10.3329/bjp.v10i3.23381
31. P. Mounika, KNV. Chenchu Lakshmi, M. Sowjanya, M. Rama Ayyappa, G. Ravindra. Synthesis, Characterization, Insilico and Invitro Screening of newly Synthesized Schiff Bases. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2021; 14(3):1663-1667. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00295.X
32. Abdul Kareem Hamad Ayfan, Rasim Farraj Muslim, Noor Sabah Noori. Preparation and Characterization of Novel disubstituted 1,3- Oxazepine-tetra-one from Schiff bases reaction with 3-methylfuran-2,5-dione and 3-Phenyldihydrofuran-2,5-dione. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(3): 1008-1016. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00167.7
33. Cleiton M. da Silva a, Daniel L. da Silva a, and Luzia V. Modolo. Schiff bases: A short review of their antimicrobial activities. Journal of Advanced Research.(2011); 2, 1–8 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jare.2010.05.004
34. Abdul Kareem Hamad Ayfan, Rasim Farraj Muslim, Noor Sabah Noori. Preparation and Characterization of Novel disubstituted 1,3- Oxazepine-tetra-one from Schiff bases reaction with 3-methylfuran-2,5-dione and 3-Phenyldihydrofuran-2,5-dione. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(3): 1008-1016. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00167.7
35. Ahmad H, Amer K,.Synthesis of some N-phthalimide amino acids derivatives and Evaluation their Biological Activity. Int.J. ChemTech Res. 2015; 8(4 ), 1817-1825.
36. Al-hamdani AA, Mahmoud MA, Bakir SR. Synthesis , Structural Studies of Some New Transition Metals Complexes of Semicarbazide hydro chloride Schiff Base Derivatives. Baghdad Sci J. 2013; 10(3):583–396.
37. Shakir R. Synthesis of Some New Heterocyclic Fused Rings Compounds 100 Based on 5-Aryl-1 , 3 , 4-Oxadiazole. Ibn Al-Haitham Jour Pure Appl Sci. 2017; 30(2):161–176.
38. Bala S, Kamboj S, Kajal A, et al. 1,3,4-Oxadiazole Derivatives: Synthesis, Characterization, Antimicrobial Potential, and Computational Studies. BioMed Res Int. 2014; 2(14):1–18. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/172791
39. S. Ramachandran, M. Vijey Aanandhi , M. Tamilselvam, V. Sursha, K. T. Vigneshwara. Synthesis, Characterization, Antimicrobial Evaluation of 2-Amino pyrimidine Schiff base derivative. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(4):1907-1909. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00318.4
40. Nabugomu RJ, Hao H, Zhuang J, Zhao S, Shi Y, . The Synthesis of Acyclic Beta Enaminones Based on Benzidine. Der Pharma Chemica, 2018; 10(6): 25-27
41. Valgas C, Souza SM De, Smânia EFA, et al. Screening Methods To Determine Antibacterial Activity Of Natural Products. Brazilian J Microbiol. 2007; 38:369–380.
42. Dabholkar V V, Gavande RP. Synthesis and antimicrobial activities of novel 1, 4-benzothiazine derivatives. Arab J Chem. 2016; 9(S1):S225–S229.