K.S. Girhepunje, Varsha Gupta, V. K. Srivastava, O.P. Singh
K.S. Girhepunje1*, Varsha Gupta3, V. K. Srivastava2, O.P. Singh1
1Dept. of Kayachikitsa, Faculty of Ayurveda, IMS, BHU, Varanasi, India.
2Dept. of Panchakarma, Faculty of Ayurveda, IMS, BHU, Varanasi, India.
3Dept. of Rachana Sharir, Faculty of Ayurveda, IMS, BHU, Varanasi, India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 9,
Year - 2022
Psoriasis is a chronic papulosquamous dermatosis with recurrent episodes of remission and relapse. Current available therapies are successful in managing clinical features at initial phases indeed; later found difficult in long term due to disruption of other systems. In Ayurveda, skin disorders are categorized on the basis of their doshic imbalance and aim to correct the same to cure the pathological condition by the intervention of dietary restrictions and medicines. In the presented study, we discuss two cases of psoriasis; one 23 years old male patient treated with cow urine distillate (CUD) and other 72 years old male with CUD after therapeutic purgation (Virechana). Dietary restriction of milk products was advised during the treatment period. Both cases showed significant clinical improvement which were assessed on the basis of Psoriasis Area Severity Index (PASI). The management was done for short duration of 2 months and requires more follow ups for the strong conclusion about the therapy options. The alone use of CUD for treating psoriasis is not yet tested and hence the presented case reports seem to be unique after the use of the same. It would direct the futuristic clinical studies to strengthen the hypothesis of clinical efficacy of CUD in aforesaid condition.
Cite this article:
K.S. Girhepunje, Varsha Gupta, V. K. Srivastava, O.P. Singh. Clinical Efficacy of Cow Urine Distillate with and without Therapeutic Purgation in the Management of Psoriasis: Two Case Reports. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(9):4182-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00701
K.S. Girhepunje, Varsha Gupta, V. K. Srivastava, O.P. Singh. Clinical Efficacy of Cow Urine Distillate with and without Therapeutic Purgation in the Management of Psoriasis: Two Case Reports. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(9):4182-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00701 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-9-61
1. Shivi Sondhi, Navdeep Singh, Shammy Jindal. Natural Remedies used in the Treatment of Psoriasis: A short Review. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2021; 11(1):43-45.
2. Mariam Mahmoud Taha, Zainab Thamer Shwait Al-Asady. Evaluation of the Effectiveness of Antioxidants and TNF-α in Iraqi Patients with Psoriasis treated with Etanercept. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2019; 12(2):665-668. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00118.5
3. Navdeep Singh, Shivi Sondhi, Shammy Jindal, Vinay Pandit, Mahendra Singh Ashawat. Treatment and Management for patients with mild to severe Psoriasis: A Review. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2020; 10(4):286-292. doi: 10.5958/2231-5691.2020.00049.0
4. Shivi Sondhi, Navdeep Singh, Kamya Goyal, Shammy Jindal. Development of Topical Herbal Gel of Berberine Hydrochloride for the Treatment of Psoriasis. Res. J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech.2021; 13(1):12-18.
5. Geetha. P, Vaishnavi Raksha. R, Mohamed Ishak. J , Shanmugasundaram. P. A Review on Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2017; 10(11): 4043-4046. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2017.00733.8
6. Sakthi Priyadarsini S, Vani PB, Kumar PR. A Comparative Review on Conventional and Traditional medicine in the Treatment of Psoriasis. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(11):5642-5646. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00983.X
7. Vidya Raju, Jasmine Joy Bell, Merlin. N. J, Shaiju S. Dharan. Anxiety Disorders – A Review. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2017; 7(4): 217-221. doi: 10.5958/2231-5691.2017.00033.8
8. Strober, B.E., van der Walt, J.M., Armstrong, A.W. et al. Clinical Goals and Barriers to Effective Psoriasis Care. Dermatol Ther (Heidelb) 9, 5–18 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13555-018-0279-5
9. Monson CA, Silva V, Andriolo RB, et al. Complementary therapies for chronic plaque psoriasis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019;2019(8):CD011243. Published 2019 Aug 14. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD011243.pub2
10. Parag Sukare, Rupa Bhattacharya. Herbal plant used in Treatment of Psoriasis - A Systematic Review. Res. J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochem. 2020; 12(1):. 57-62. doi: 10.5958/0975-4385.2020.00011.4
11. Mr. Paresh A Patil, Mr. Vitthal. V. Bhosale, Ms. Varsha. P. Girase. Review on Gomutra (Cow Urine). Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2020; 10(2): 120-122. doi: 10.5958/2231-5691.2020.00023.4
12. Padmini Iriventi, N. Vishal Gupta. Formulation and Evaluation of Herbal Cream for Treating Psoriasis. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(1):167-170. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00029.9
13. Rendon A, Schäkel K. Psoriasis Pathogenesis and Treatment. Int J Mol Sci. 2019;20(6):1475. Published 2019 Mar 23. doi:10.3390/ijms20061475
14. Shukla V. & Tripathi R. Charak Samhita of Agnivesha. Vol. 1, Sutrasthan. Chaukhamba Sanskrit Pratisthan delhi 2009. p. 45
15. Banga, R. K., L. K. Singhal, and R. S. Chauhan. "Cow urine and immunomodulation: An update on cowpathy." International Journal of Cow Science 1.2 (2005): 26-29.
16. Chaganti S, Prasad BS. Analysis of Virechana karma with Danti avaleha: A retrospective study. J Ayurveda Integr Med. 2015;6(4):300-304. doi:10.4103/0975-9476.172420
17. Bhadauria H. Cow Urine- A Magical Therapy. Vishwa Ayurveda Parishad, 71-74. Int J Cow Sci. 2002;1: 32–6.
18. Review Article Benefits Of Cow Urine – A Review. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/320163094_Review_Article_Benefits_Of_Cow_Urine_-_A_Review [accessed Jun 26 2021].
19. Randhawa GK. Cow urine distillate as bioenhancer. J Ayurveda Integr Med. 2010;1(4):240-241. doi:10.4103/0975-9476.74089
20. Chauhan RS, Garg N. Banglore, Karnataka: Indian Science Congress; 2003. Cow Therapy as an alternative to antibiotics.
21. Chawla PC. Risorine - A Novel CSIR Drug Curtails TB Treatment, CSIR News. March. 2010:60–52.
22. Shukla V. & Tripathi R. Charak Samhita of Agnivesha. Vol. 2, Chikitsasthan. Chaukhamba Sanskrit Pratisthan delhi 2009.
23. Kaur M, Chandola H. Role of Virechana Karma in cure and prevention of recurrence of Vicharchika (Eczema). Ayu. 2012 Oct;33(4):505-510. DOI: 10.4103/0974-8520.110526.
24. Barrea L, Balato N, Di Somma C, et al. Nutrition and psoriasis: is there any association between the severity of the disease and adherence to the Mediterranean diet?. J Transl Med. 2015;13:18. Published 2015 Jan 27. doi:10.1186/s12967-014-0372-1
25. Katta R, Desai SP. Diet and dermatology: the role of dietary intervention in skin disease. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2014; 7(7):46–51.