Nalini B, Srinivas Kumar Ch, Narsimha Rao VV
Nalini B*, Srinivas Kumar Ch, Narsimha Rao VV
Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry - GITAM Dental College and Hospital, Rushikonda, Visakhapatnam - 530045, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 9,
Year - 2022
The surface smoothness of the composite restoration plays a major role in maintaining the aesthetics and health of the surrounding tissues. The surface characteristics are mainly dictated by the constituents of the material and the kind of polishing system used. The present study was intended to evaluate and compare the surface roughness (Ra) and colour stability of Solare Sculpt, Filtek Bulk-Fill, and Tetric N-Ceram Bulk-Fill composites. 20 specimens of Solare Sculpt and 10 specimens each of Filtek Bulk-Fill and Tetric N-Ceram Bulk-Fill were prepared. 10 specimens of Solare Sculpt were left unpolished whereas all other specimens were polished either with Sof-Lex or Diacomp® Plus Twist followed by surface roughness and colour assessment. One way-ANOVA and Tukey’s posthoc tests were performed for pair-wise comparison. The unpolished Specimens showed less Ra values than the polished specimens. Filtek Bulk-Fill showed the lowest Ra (5.80nm) and Solare Sculpt showed the highest Ra (12.96nm) after polishing with Sof-Lex whereas Tetric N-Ceram showed the lowest Ra (7.91nm) and Solare Sculpt highest Ra (9.80nm) after polishing with Diacomp discs. And the colour change values were least for Filtek Bulk-Fill (4.02) and highest for Tetric N-Ceram (4.71). Though the composition and filler content of the composite & the type of polishing system plays an important role, no correlation has been found between the type of filler particles and the surface smoothness and between surface smoothness and the colour stability signifying the fact that surface roughness and the colour stability may depend on many factors.
Cite this article:
Nalini B, Srinivas Kumar Ch, Narsimha Rao VV. Comparative Evaluation of Surface Roughness of different Composites and its effect on Colour Stability of the Restoration. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(9):3854-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00646
Nalini B, Srinivas Kumar Ch, Narsimha Rao VV. Comparative Evaluation of Surface Roughness of different Composites and its effect on Colour Stability of the Restoration. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(9):3854-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00646 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-9-6
1. Oliveira AL, Garcia PP, Santos PA, and Campos JÁ. Surface roughness and hardness of a composite resin: Influence of finishing and polishing and immersion methods. Materials Research. 2010 Sep;13(3):409-15.
2. Falkensammer F, Arnetzl GV, Wildburger A, and Freudenthaler J. Color stability of different composite resin materials. The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. 2013 Jun 1;109(6):378-83.
3. Moraes RR, Goncalves LD, Lancellotti AC, Consani S, Correr-Sobrinho L, and Sinhoreti MA. Nanohybrid resin composites: nanofiller loaded materials or traditional microhybrid resins? Operative Dentistry. 2009 Sep;34(5):551-7.
4. Alzraikat H, Burrow MF, Maghaireh GA, and Taha NA. Nanofilled resin composite properties and clinical performance: A review. Operative Dentistry. 2018 Jul;43(4):E173-90.
5. Kumari CM, Bhat KM, and Bansal R. Evaluation of surface roughness of different restorative composites after polishing using atomic force microscopy. Journal of Conservative Dentistry. 2016 Jan;19(1):56.
6. Avsar A, Yuzbasioglu E and Sarac D. The effect of finishing and polishing techniques on the surface roughness and the color of nanocomposite resin restorative materials. Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine. 2015;24(5):881-90.
7. Trauth KG, Godoi AP, Colucci V, Corona SA and Catirse AB. The influence of mouthrinses and simulated toothbrushing on the surface roughness of a nanofilled composite resin. Brazilian Oral Research. 2012 Jun;26(3):209-14.
8. Ereifej NS, Oweis YG and Eliades G. The effect of polishing technique on 3-D surface roughness and gloss of dental restorative resin composites. Operative Dentistry. 2012 Apr;38(1):E9-20.
9. Cazzaniga G, Ottobelli M, Ionescu A, Garcia-Godoy F, and Brambilla E. Surface properties of resin-based composite materials and biofilm formation: A review of the current literature. Am J Dent. 2015 Dec 1;28(6):311-20.
10. Nair VS, Sainudeen S, Padmanabhan P, Vijayashankar LV, Sujathan U, and Pillai R. Three-dimensional evaluation of surface roughness of resin composites after finishing and polishing. Journal of Conservative Dentistry. 2016 Jan;19(1):91.
11. Kakaboura A, Fragouli M, Rahiotis C, and Silikas N. Evaluation of surface characteristics of dental composites using profilometry, scanning electron, atomic force microscopy and gloss-meter. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine. 2007 Jan 1;18(1):155-63.
12. Abuelenain DA, Neel EA, and Al-Dharrab A. Surface characterization and mechanical behavior of bulk fill versus incremental dental composites. Tanta Dental Journal. 2017 Apr 1;14(2):56.
13. Tate WH and Powers JM. Surface roughness of composites and hybrid ionomers. Operative Dentistry. 1996;21(2):53-8.
14. Quirynen M, Marechal M, Busscher HJ, Weerkamp AH, Darius PL, and van Steenberghe D. The influence of surface free energy and surface roughness on early plaque formation: An in vivo study in man. Journal of Clinical Periodontology. 1990 Mar;17(3):138-44.
15. Yap SH, Yap AU, Teo CK, and Ng JJ. Polish retention of new aesthetic restorative materials over time. Singapore Dental Journal. 2004 Dec;26(1):39-43.
16. Senawongse P and Pongprueksa P. Surface roughness of nanofill and nanohybrid resin composites after polishing and brushing. Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry. 2007 Oct;19(5):265-73.
17. Turkun LS and Turkun M. The effect of one-step polishing system on the surface roughness of three esthetic resin composite materials. Operative Dentistry. 2004 Mar 1;29(2):203-11.
18. Manohar J and Jeevanandan G. In vitro comparison of color stability of restorative materials against children's beverages. Drug Invention Today. 2018 Aug 1;10(8).
19. Ruschel VC, Bona VS, Baratieri LN, and Maia HP. Effect of surface sealants and polishing time on composite surface roughness and microhardness. Operative Dentistry. 2018 Jul;43(4):408-15.
20. Topcu FT, Sahinkesen G, Yamanel K, Erdemir U, Oktay EA, and Ersahan S. Influence of different drinks on the colour stability of dental resin composites. European Journal of Dentistry. 2009 Jan;3(1):50.
21. Moon JD, Seon EM, Son S, Jung KH, Kwon YH, and Park JK. Effect of immersion into solutions at various pH on the color stability of composite resins with different shades. Restorative Dentistry & Endodontics. 2015 Nov 1;40(4):270-6.
22. Abu‐Bakr NE, Han L, Okamoto A, and Iwaku M. Color stability of compomer after immersion in various media. Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry. 2000 Sep;12(5):258-63.
23. Borges AL, Costa AK, Saavedra GS, Komori PC, Borges AB, and Rode SM. Color stability of composites: Effect of immersion media. Acta Odontológica Latinoamericana. 2011 Sep;24(2):193-9.
24. Fontes ST, Fernández MR, Moura CM, and Meireles SS. Color stability of a nanofill composite: Effect of different immersion media. Journal of Applied Oral Science. 2009 Oct;17(5):388-91.
25. Yildiz E, Karaarslan ES, Simsek M, Ozsevik AS, and Usumez A. Color stability and surface roughness of polished anterior restorative materials. Dental Materials Journal. 2015 May 28:2014-344.
26. Patel SB, Gordan VV, Barrett AA, and Shen C. The effect of surface finishing and storage solutions on the color stability of resin-based composites. The Journal of the American Dental Association. 2004 May 1;135(5):587-94.
27. Schmitt VL, Puppin-Rontani RM, Naufel FS, Nahsan FP, Alexandre Coelho Sinhoreti M, et al. Effect of the polishing procedures on color stability and surface roughness of composite resins. ISRN dentistry. 2011 Jul 11;2011.
28. Dhingra A, Singhal P, and Bhandari M. Spectrophotometer analysis of bulk-fill composites on various beverages: An in-vitro study. Indian Journal of Conservative and Endodontics.2019January-March;4(1):20-26.