Suha A. AL-Fakhar, Wifaq M. Ali, Khalil Ismail A. Mohammed, Saad Hasan Mohammed Ali, Jinan M. Mousa, Israa Qasim Hussein
Suha A. AL-Fakhar1, Wifaq M. Ali1, Khalil Ismail A. Mohammed1, Saad Hasan Mohammed Ali1, Jinan M. Mousa1, Israa Qasim Hussein2
1Clinical Communicable Diseases Research Unit, College of Medicine, University of Baghdad, Iraq.
2Central Public Health Laboratories in Baghdad Province.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 9,
Year - 2022
Background: Recently it has been noticed that toxoplasmosis played an important role in distressing women’s pregnancy through certain outcomes such as congenital abnormalities and abortions. The lack in Vitamin D may play role fragility of bones like; osteoporosis, and bone deformities. Objective: To evaluate the association between the lake in vitamin D and toxoplasmosis seropositivity in the women’s sera in the age of childbearing by applying ELISA method. Materials and Methods: 56 women, from Central Public Health Laboratories in Baghdad Province were selected in this study, their age range between (17-45) years. The individuals were diagnosed with BOH (Bad Obstetric History). Among 56 women infected (44)or not infected (12)with toxoplasmosis blood samples were collected from patients who visited Central Public Health Laboratories in Baghdad Province . IgG and IgM Abs Antibodies against Toxoplasma gondii were detected using minividas kit ) BioMerieux /France). Also vitamin D was detected using by ELISA microwells method (Monobind Inc. USA). Results: The results were considered as statistically significant (P=0.386), it shows no important difference between toxoplasmosis and the concentration of vitamin D3 in women with history of abortion or not. Conclusion: The toxoplasmosis rate in women in childbearing age was elevated, and the association between vitamin D deficiency and toxoplasmosis was not considerable.
Cite this article:
Suha A. AL-Fakhar, Wifaq M. Ali, Khalil Ismail A. Mohammed, Saad Hasan Mohammed Ali, Jinan M. Mousa, Israa Qasim Hussein. Correlation between Toxoplasmosis and Vitamin D Deficiency in women. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(9):4073-7. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00683
Suha A. AL-Fakhar, Wifaq M. Ali, Khalil Ismail A. Mohammed, Saad Hasan Mohammed Ali, Jinan M. Mousa, Israa Qasim Hussein. Correlation between Toxoplasmosis and Vitamin D Deficiency in women. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(9):4073-7. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00683 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-9-43
1. Ramos JM. Milla A. Rodríguez JC. et al. Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection among immigrant and native pregnant women in Eastern Spain. Parasitology Research. 2011; 109(5): 1447–1452. doi: 10.1007/s00436-011-2393-5.
2. Sharbatkhori M. Dadi Moghaddam Y. Paghehp A. et al. Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infections in pregnant women in Gorgan city, Golestan province, northern Iran-2012. Iranian Journal of Parasitology. 2014; 9(2): 181–87.
3. Huhtakangas JA. Veijola J. Turunen S. et al. 1,25(OH) 2D3 and calcipotriol, its hypocalcemic analog, exert a long-lasting anti-inflammatory and anti-proliferative effect in synoviocytes cultured from patients with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. 2017; 173: 13–22. doi: 10.1016/j.jsbmb.2017.01.017.
4. Pirdehghan A. Vakili M. Dehghan R. Zare F. High prevalence of vitamin D deficiency and adverse pregnancy outcomes in Yazd, a central province of Iran. Journal of Reproduction and Infertility. 2016; 17(1): 34–38.
5. Bonakdaran Sh. Ghayour-Mobarhan M. Fakhraee F. Assessment of 25 hydroxyvitamin D level and its correlation with metabolic syndrome in Mashhad. Medical Journal of Mashhad University of Medical Sciences. 2015; 58: 88–95. 10.22038/MJMS.2015.4369
6. Bikle DD. Vitamin D metabolism, mechanism of action, and clinical applications. Chemistry and Biology.2014; 21 (3): 319–29. doi:10.1016/j.chembiol.2013.12.016
7. Silva MC. Furlanetto TW. Intestinal absorption of vitamin D: A systematic review. Nutrition Review. 2018; 76(1): 60-76. doi: 10.1093/nutrit/nux034.
8. Michaelsson K. Baron JA. Snellman G. Gedeborg R. et al. Plasma Vitamin D and Mortality in Older Men, a Community Based Prospective Cohort Study. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.2010; 92: 841-848. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.2010.29749.
9. Johnson LE. DeLuca HF. Vitamin D Receptor Null Mutant Mice Fed High Levels of Calcium Are Fertile. The Journal of Nutrition.2001; 131: 1787-1791.
10. Holick MF. Chen TC. Vitamin D deficiency: a worldwide problem with health consequences. American Journal of Clinical Nutritin. 2008; 87(suppl): 1080S– 1086S. doi: 10.1093/ajcn/87.4.1080S.
11. Mulligan ML. Felton SK. Riek AE. Bernal-Mizrachi C. Implications of vitamin D deficiency in pregnancy and lactation. The American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2010; 202(5): 429. e1-429. e4299. doi:10.1016/j.ajog.2009.09.002
12. Fakhrieh Kashan Z. Shojaee S. Keshavarz H. Arbabi M. et al. Vitamin D Deficiency and Toxoplasma Infection. Iranian Journal of Public Health. 2019; 48(6): 1184-1186.
13. Zhang Y. Song X. Jiang L. Wu J. Chen G. et al. Association between vitamin D deficiency and Toxoplasma gondii infection in women of childbearing age. Wei Sheng Yan Jiu. 2020; 49(3): 368-373.
14. Tenter SM. Heckeroth AR. Weiss LM. Toxoplasma gondii: from animals to humans. International Journal of Parasitology. 2000; 30(12-13): 1217-1258.
15. Salman, YJ. Serological Cross-Reaction among Some Anti Agents of Women Abortions (Toxoplasma gondii, Cytomegalovirus, and Rubella Virus), with an Incidence of Hepatitis Viruses (B and C). Tikret Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2007; 3: 8-14.
16. Zerzour A. Nour El-Houda HN. Samir D. Analysis of Osteoporosis risk factors in Menopausal women's of Algeria population. Asian Journal Research in Pharmceutical Sciences. 2020; 10(2): 79-84. DOI : 10.5958/2231-5659.2020.00015.6
17. JohnJK. Sunny J. Baby MC. Saranya S. Sibi S. et al. A study to assess the knowledge regarding risk factors and Preventive measures of Osteoporosis among Elderly patients in a selected Hospital Kidandoor. International Journal of Advances in Nutrition Management. 2021; 9(2): 211-213. 10.5958/2454-2652.2021.00047.0
18. Flegr J. Prandota J. Sovičková M. Israili ZH. Toxoplasmosis–A Global Threat. Correlation of Latent Toxoplasmosis with Specific Disease Burden in a Set of 88 Countries, PLoS One. 2014; 9(3): e90203. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0090203
19. Radhakrishna B. Ashok M. Harish PL. et al. Current and Future Trends of Drugs Used in Osteoporosis. Research Journal Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2011; 3(6): 329-333. doi: 10.1136/ard.55.10.700
20. Hantoosh HA. Mahdi MH. Imran BW. Yahya AA. Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in Iraqi female at reproductive age. Medical Journal of Babylon. 2019; 16(2):119. DOI:10.4103/MJBL.MJBL_9_19
21. Subashree R. Radhika Arjunkumar. Vitamin D Deficiency in Periodontal Health. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2014; 7(2): 248-252.
22. Alyasiry A. Aljammali ZM. Almosawy AM. Alrubbaie S. Dental Health in Osteoporotic Women. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2015; 8(10): 1383-1388. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2015.00248.6
23. Suman VB. Chattterjee PK. Vinodini NA. Kunal K. et al. Effect of variable Diet and Physical Activity on Bone Mineral Density in Adults using Peripheral–Dexa Scan. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11(6): 2404-2407. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00444.4
24. Noori FM. Hussien SS. Tayeeb FA. Salman YJ. Determination of some bone markers, minerals during toxoplasmosis in women in Kirkuk Province. Annals of Tropical Medicine and Public Health; 2021; 24(2).
25. Shwetha MN. a Priya. P. Knowledge regarding vitamin D deficiency among students. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2019; 9(1): 66-68.
26. Zerzour A. Haddig NE. Derouiche S. Analysis of Osteoporosis risk factors in Menopausal women's of Algeria population. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Science. 2020; 10(2):79-84. 10.5958/2231-5659.2020.00015.6
27. Vegad K. Kakadia N. Kanaki N. Cell Proliferative Potential of Ethnomedicinal plants for the management of Osteoporosis. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(1):85-90. 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00016.0
28. Pirdehghan A. Vakili M. Dehghan R. Zare F. High prevalence of vitamin D deficiency and adverse pregnancy outcomes in Yazd, a central province of Iran. Journal of Reproductive Infertility. 2016; 17(1): 34–38.
29. Salman YJ. Mohammad KA. Relationship between Toxoplasma gondii and Arthritis among Patients in Kirkuk City. International Journal of Current Research and Academic Review.2015; 3: 175-187.