Nandeesha IM, Basappa C. Yallur, Manjunatha D. Hadagali
email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
Nandeesha IM1, Basappa C. Yallur1, Manjunatha D. Hadagali1,2*
1Department of Chemistry, MS Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Banagalore 560054, India. (Affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belagavi - 590018, Karnataka, India).
2Department of Studies in Chemistry, Davangere University, Shivagangothri, Davangere - 577002, Karnataka, India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 9,
Year - 2022
The objective of the proposed work was to develop and validate a simple and sensitive RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous determination of four drugs viz., Phenylephrine hydrochloride (PNY), Acetaminophen (ACN) or Paracetamol (PAR), Caffeine (CFN) and Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride (DPH) in cough syrup combination. The Flourishing separation of four analytes were found by using a high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) Shimadzu LC 2010 CHT and mobile phase consisting of methanol: buffer (0.1% v/v triethylamine pH-3.0 - adjusted with 0.1N Orthophosphoric acid) in the ratio of 45:55, waters sunfire C18 column (250mm, 4.6 mm and 5µ particle size). An isocratic elution with a flow rate was fixed at 1.0mLmin-1 and ambient temperature. Detection was carried out with wavelength at 220nm. The retention times of all analytes were stable at 2.2, 3.6, 4.5 and 6.42 minutes for PNY, ACN, CFN and DPH respectively. For these four drugs, the lower limit of detection (LOD) was 1.0, 0.5, 1.5 and 2.5µgmL-1 and the lower limit of quantification (LOQ) was 3.3, 1.7, 5.0 and 8.3µgmL-1, respectively. The calibration curves for PNY, ACN, CFN and DPH were found linear over the concentrations of 2.0-7.0, 1.5-7.5, 3.0-9.0 and 6.0-16.0µgmL-1 respectively. The inter- and intra-day of Relative Standard Deviation (RSD) were less than 2.0%. The developed method is hasty and stable for a combination of drugs, PNY, ACN/PAR, CFN and DPH. The proposed method was applicable for routine analysis of PNY, ACN, CFN and DPH quantification of these selected drugs for their assay in pure and wet cough syrup formulation.
Cite this article:
Nandeesha IM, Basappa C. Yallur, Manjunatha D. Hadagali. Liquid Chromatographic Method Development and Validation for the Simultaneous Determination of Phenylephrine Hydrochloride, Paracetamol, Caffeine and Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride in Pure and Formulations. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(9):3993-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00669
Nandeesha IM, Basappa C. Yallur, Manjunatha D. Hadagali. Liquid Chromatographic Method Development and Validation for the Simultaneous Determination of Phenylephrine Hydrochloride, Paracetamol, Caffeine and Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride in Pure and Formulations. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(9):3993-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00669 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-9-29
1. Dewani AP, Dabhade SM, Bakal RL, Gadewar CK, Chandewar AV, Patra S. Development and validation of a novel RP-HPLC method for simultaneous determination of paracetamol, phenylephrine hydrochloride, caffeine, cetirizine and nimesulide in tablet formulation. Arabian Journal of Chemistry. 2015; (8): 591–598. doi.org/10.1016/j.arabjc.2013.09.040
2. Sawant R, Joshi R, Lanke P, Bhangale L. Simultaneous estimation and validation of Paracetamol, Phenylephrine hydrochloride and Chlorpheniramine maleate in tablets by Spectrophotometric method. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Health Care. 2011; 3(2): 23-28.
3. Palled M, Karagane S, Mane A, Bhat A, Shinde P. Analytical Method Development And Validation Of Acetaminophen, Caffeine, Phenylephrine Hydrochloride and Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide In Tablet Dosage Form by RP- HPLC. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science Invention. 2013; (2): 09-15.
4. Dewani AP, Barik BB, Chipade VD, Bakal RL, Chandewar AV, Kanungo SK. RP-HPLC-DAD method for the determination of phenylepherine, paracetamol, caffeine and chlorpheniramine in bulk and marketed formulation. Arabian Journal of Chemistry. 2014; (7): 811–816. doi.org/10.1016/j.arabjc.2012.07.010
5. Souri E, Rahimi A, Maliheh BT. Development of a rapid derivative spectrophotometric method for simultaneous determination of acetaminophen, diphenhydramine and pseudoephedrine in tablets. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015; (14): 435-442.
6. Heydari R. A New HPLC Method for the simultaneous determination of acetaminophen, phenylephrine, dextromethorphan and chlorpheniramine in pharmaceutical formulations. Analytical Letters. 2008; (41): 965–976. doi:10.1080/00032710801978137
7. Samadi-Maybodi A, Nejad-Darzi SKH. Simultaneous determination of paracetamol, phenylephrine hydrochloride and chlorpheniramine maleate in pharmaceutical preparations using multivariate. Spectrochimica Acta Part A-Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy. 2010; (75): 1270–1274. doi: 10.1016/j.saa.2009.12.048
8. Fawzy AEY, Ekram MH, Essam FK, Marwa AAR, Mohamed MAH. Development and Validation of a High-Performance Thin-Layer Chromatographic Method for the Simultaneous Determination of Two Binary Mixtures Containing Ketorolac Tromethamine with Phenylephrine Hydrochloride and with Febuxostat. Journal of Chromatographic Science. 2016; 54(5): 819-28. doi:10.1093/chromsci/bmv250
9. Kazemipour M, Ansarib M. Derivative Spectrophotometry for Simultaneous Analysis of Chlorpheniramine Maleate, Phenylephrine HCl, and Phenylpropanolamine HCl in Ternary Mixtures and Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2005; (3): 147-153. doi.10.22037/IJPR.2010.630
10. Deconinck E, Sacré PY, Baudewyns S, Courselle P, De Beer J. A fast ultra high pressure liquid chromatographic method for qualification and quantification of pharmaceutical combination preparations containing paracetamol, acetyl salicylic acid and/or antihistaminics. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2011; (56): 200-209.
11. Krishna VN, Meyyanathan SN, Rajinikanth B R, Suresh R, Jeyaprakash MR, Arunadevi SB, Suresh B. A RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Ambroxol Hydrochloride and Loratidine in Pharmaceutical Formulation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008; 1(4): 366-369.
12. Deepika M, Anurekha J, Maheshwari RK, Vidyasagar P. Simultaneous Spectrophotometric Estimation of Metronidazole and Norfloxacin in Combined Tablet Formulations using hydrotropy. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008; 1(4): 357-361. doi. 10.5958/0974-360X
13. Polawar PV, Shivhare UD, Bhusari KP, Mathur VB. Development and Validation of Spectrophotometric Method of Analysis for Fexofenadine HCl. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008; 1(4): 539-540. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X
14. Appala Raju N, Shabana B. Simultaneous RP-HPLC Method for the Estimation of the Emtricitabine, Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumerate and Efavirenz in Tablet Dosage Forms. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008; 1(4): 522-525. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X
15. Kakde RB, Kotak VH, Barsagade AG, Chaudhary NK, Kale DL. Spectrophotometric Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Amlodipine Besylate and Bisoprolol Fumarate in Pharmaceutical Preparations. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008;1(4):513-515. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X
16. Rakesh S, Swarnlata S. Spectrophotometric Estimation of Omeprazole in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Research Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 1(3): July-Sept. 2008; Page 276-277. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X
17. Mohamed K, Nirmal T, Sukhen S, Vaseeha Banu TS. Development of a New, Simple, Sensitive and Cost-Effective Method for Estimation of Atenolol in Formulation and Bulk. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2010; 2(1):72-76. doi: 10.5958/0975-4377
18. Santanu Ghosh , BB Barik. Quantization of Aceclofenac in Pharmaceutical Formulations by RP-HPLC. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2010; 2(1):52-55. doi: 10.5958/0975-4377
19. Ashok PS, Sanjay RP, Anand MS, Roshan I, Nagori BP, Rumit MS. New Simple, Sensitive and Economical UV Spectrophotometric Method for Estimation of Risperidone in Tablet Dosage Form and its Peroxide Degradation Kinetic. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2009; 1(2): 126-129. doi: 10.5958/0975-4377
20. Rakesh S, Swarnlata S. Spectrophotometric Estimation of Omeprazole in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008; 1(3): 276-277. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X
21. International Council of Harmonization, Federal Register. 1997; 62(96): 27463-27467.