Asifa Mushtaq, Seema Rawat, Jay Krishan Tiwari
Asifa Mushtaq1*, Seema Rawat2, Jay Krishan Tiwari1
1Department of Botany and Microbiology, H.N.B. Garhwal University, Srinagar, Uttarakhand, India.
2Microbiology Lab, School of Life Sciences, Central University of Gujarat, Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 9,
Year - 2022
Antibiotic resistance among bacterial pathogens especially gram-negative bacteria has risen markedly over the last decade. Inadequacy of the commercial antibiotics against multidrug resistant strains of bacteria has necessitated the search for effective antimicrobials from lesser explored ecosystems. Recently, cave actinomycetes have drawn considerable attention as a source of novel antibacterial agents. Garhwal Himalayan region in Uttarakhand abodes several pristine caves which have not been previously explored for their actinomycetes diversity. The present study has been designed to have an insight into the bioactive spectrum of cave actinomycetes of Garhwal Himalaya. In the present study, a total of 103 actinomycetes were isolated from three distinct caves. Streptomyces sp. was found to be the predominant species in all the samples. The recovered actinomycetes were screened for their antibacterial activities with a focus on their activity against MDR E. coli, A. baumannii, S. pyogens, MRSA and VRE. faecalis. Isolates RCM1, RCM14 and SCM1 showed significant antibacterial activities. SCM1 was found to be most promising isolate exhibiting remarkable inhibition against MDR bacterial pathogens.
Cite this article:
Asifa Mushtaq, Seema Rawat, Jay Krishan Tiwari. An in vitro analysis on antagonistic activities of actinomycetes recovered from caves of Garhwal Himalaya against drug resistant pathogens. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(9):3893-7. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00652
Asifa Mushtaq, Seema Rawat, Jay Krishan Tiwari. An in vitro analysis on antagonistic activities of actinomycetes recovered from caves of Garhwal Himalaya against drug resistant pathogens. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(9):3893-7. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00652 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-9-12
1. Yücel SE. Yamaç MU. Selection of Streptomyces isolates from Turkish karstic caves against antibiotic resistant microorganisms. Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2010; 23 (1): 1-6.
2. Thirumurugan D, Vijayakumar R. Exploitation of antibacterial compound producing marine actinobacteria against fish pathogens isolated from less explored environments. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2013; 5(2): 264-267.
3. Deepa S, Kanimozhi K., Panneerselvam A. Isolation, identification and antibacterial activity of marine actinomycetes isolated from saltpan region. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2012; 4(2): 70-3.
4. Cheeptham N, Sadoway T, Rule D, Watson K, Moote P, Soliman LC, et al. Cure from the cave: volcanic cave actinomycetes and their potential in drug discovery. International Journal of Speleology. 2013; 42(1): 35-47. dx.doi.org/10.5038/1827-806X.42.1.5
5. Nakaew N, Pathom-aree W, Lumyong S. Generic diversity of rare actinomycetes from Thai cave soils and their possible use as new bioactive compounds. Actinomycetologica. 2009; 23 (2):21-6. doi.org/10.3209/saj.SAJ230201
6. Axenov-Gibanov DV, Voytsekhovskaya IV, Tokovenko BT, Protasov ES, Gamaiunov SV, Rebets YV, et al. Actinobacteria isolated from an underground lake and moonmilk speleothem from the biggest conglomeratic karstic cave in Siberia as sources of novel biologically active compounds. PloS One. 2016; 11 (2): e0149216. doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0149216
7. Thomas, P. D. Actinomycetes synthesized nanoparticles and their antibacterial activity. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2017; 9(2); 219-223. 10.5958/2349-2988.2017.00038.9
8. Abd-allah N, Tolba S Hatem D. Selective isolation of rare actinomycetes from different types of Egyptian soil. Egyptian Journal of Experimental Biology. 2012; 8 (2): 175-82.
9. Sumathi R, Ruby S, Duraisamy K, Sivakumar T. Extraction of actinomycetes from soil sediments by submerged fermentation: purification, characterization and its anti-viral activity. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2010; 3(3): 843-846.
10. Tanvir R, Sajid I, Hasnain S, Kulik A, Grond S. Rare actinomycetes Nocardia caishijiensis and Pseudonocardia carboxydivorans as endophytes, their bioactivity and metabolites evaluation. Microbiological. Research. 2016; 185:22-35. doi.org/ 10.1016/j.micres.2016.01.003
11. Sengupta S, Pramanik A, Ghosh A, Bhattacharyya M. Antimicrobial activities of actinomycetes isolated from unexplored regions of Sundarbans mangrove ecosystem. BMC Microbiology. 2015; 15(1): 1-6. doi.org/10.1186/s12866-015-0495-4
12. Sumathi R, Kumar AS, Rajeswari R, Pavani S. Isolation, purification, partial characterization and antibacterial activities of compound produced by some actinomycetes from sedimented waters. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2009; 2(4): 783-788.
13. Bhakyashree K., Kannabiran K. Anti-MRSA activity of actinomycetes isolated from marine soil sample of Ariyaman beach, Tamil Nadu, India. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11(5): 2036-2039. 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00377.3
14. Souvik P, Kavitha S, Vimala R. Isolation of Actinomycetes and Optimization of Process Parameters for Antimicrobial Activity. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016; 9(11): 1913-1921. doi.10.5958/0974-360X.2016.00392.9
15. Wiegand I, Hilpert K, Hancock RE. Agar and broth dilution methods to determine the minimal inhibitory concentration (MIC) of antimicrobial substances. Nature Protocols. 2008; 3 (2): 163-175. doi.org/10.1038/nprot.2007.521
16. Mithilesh K, Anuraag M, Aravinda P, V M Subrahmanyam, Venkatesh K. L-asparaginase from Soil actinomycetes: Optimization of process variables using Plackett Burman Method. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(7): 3487-3490. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00592.4
17. Abidin ZAZ, Malek NA, Zainuddin Z, Chowdhury AJK. Selective isolation and antagonistic activity of actinomycetes from mangrove forest of Pahang, Malaysia. Frontiers in Life Science. 2016; 9(1): 24-31. doi.org/10.1080/21553769.2015.1051244
18. Benhadj M, Gacemi-Kirane D, Menasria T, Guebla K, Ahmane Z. Screening of rare actinomycetes isolated from natural wetland ecosystem (Fetzara Lake, northeastern Algeria) for hydrolytic enzymes and antimicrobial activities. Journal of King Saud University-Science. 2019; 31 (4): 706-12. doi.org/10.1016/ j.jksus.2018.03.008
19. Messaoudi O, Bendahou M, Benamar I, Abdelwouhid DE. Identification and preliminary characterization of non-polyene antibiotics secreted by new strain of actinomycete isolated from Sebkha of Kenadsa, Algeria. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. 2015; 5(6): 438-45. doi.org/10.1016/ j.apjtb.2015.04.002
20. Singh LS, Mazumder S, Bora TC. Optimisation of process parameters for growth and bioactive metabolite produced by a salt-tolerant and alkaliphilic actinomycete, Streptomyces tanashiensis strain A2D. Journal de Mycologie Médicale. 2009; 19 (4): 225-33. doi.org/10.1016/j.mycmed.2009.07.006
21. Devi PN, Warma SS, Srinivasan M, Keziah SM, Devi CS. Antimicrobial Activity of Actinomycetes Isolated from Different soil samples of Vellore Region. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11(7): 3123- 3127. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00573.5
22. Sharma P, Kalita MC, Thakur D. Broad spectrum antimicrobial activity of forest-derived soil actinomycete, Nocardia sp. PB-52. Frontiers in Microbiology. 2016; 7:347. doi.org/10.3389/ fmicb.2016.00347
23. Aliero AA, Emmanue E, Josephat MN, Aliyu SH, Okech MA, Odda J. Antibacterial activity of actinomycetes isolated from waste dump soil from Western Uganda. Microbiology Research Journal International. 2017; 2: 1-14. doi.org/10.9734/MRJI/ 2017/36459s
24. Singh S, Kumar P, Gopalan N, Shrivastava B, Kuhad R C, Chaudhary HS. Isolation and partial characterization of actinomycetes with antimicrobial activity against multidrug resistant bacteria. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. 2012; 2 (2): S1147-S1150. doi.org/10.1016/S2221-1691(12)60375-X
25. Chaudhary HS, Yadav J, Shrivastava AR, Singh S, Singh AK., Gopalan N. Antibacterial activity of actinomycetes isolated from different soil samples of Sheopur (A city of central India). Journal of Advanced Pharmaceutical Technology and Research. 2013; 4(2): 118. doi.org /10.4103/2231-4040.111528