Latifahtur Rahmah, Arif Nur Muhammad Ansori, Nurul Azizah Choiriyah, Hilda Tjahjani Iskandar, Gilbert Yanuar Hadiwirawan, Maksim Rebezov, Olga Gorelik
Latifahtur Rahmah1*, Arif Nur Muhammad Ansori2, Nurul Azizah Choiriyah1, Hilda Tjahjani Iskandar1, Gilbert Yanuar Hadiwirawan1, Maksim Rebezov3,4,5, Olga Gorelik6
1Culinary Art Program, Akademi Kuliner dan Patiseri OTTIMMO Internasional, Surabaya, Indonesia.
2Professor Nidom Foundation, Surabaya, Indonesia.
3V.M. Gorbatov Federal Research Center for Food Systems of Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russian Federation.
4Faculty of Biotechnology and Food Engineering, Ural State Agrarian University, Yekaterinburg, Russian Federation.
5K.G. Razumovsky Moscow State University of Technologies and Management (The First Cossack University), Moscow, Russian Federation.
6Faculty of Biotechnology and Food Engineering, Ural State Agrarian University, Yekaterinburg, Russian Federation.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 8,
Year - 2022
The economic value of dragon fruit peels can be increased through the process of diversification, hence, it becomes a food waste when not used often. This research provides a broader view of the terms of the strategy to achieve dragon fruit diversification and food independence towards the realization of food security. This research aims to determine the effect of dragon fruit peel substitutes on the antioxidant vitamin c, water content, and milk pie fiber to improve human health. Furthermore, the vitamin C content, fiber, and water content were analyzed, and the data obtained were processed using ANOVA followed by DMRT at p=0.05. According to the result obtained, the total vitamin C content in the sample varies between 1.12 and 1.20 mg/100g. Sample S3 had the highest vitamin C content, and the more the dragon fruit peels are added, the higher the vitamin C content of dragon fruit peels milk pie. The total water content of the sample ranged from 22.08% - 23.74%. Sample S1 which is a pie without the addition of dragon fruit skin has the highest water content of 23.74%. While sample S2 which is a pie with the highest addition of dragon fruit skin has the lowest water content of 22.08%. The more dragon fruit peels are added, the lower the water content in the dragon fruit peels milk pie. This makes the milk pie product to be crispier when dragon fruit peels are added. While the total fiber content of the sample ranged from 8.01-10.13%, sample S3 has the highest fiber content of 10.13%. The more dragon fruit peels are added, the higher the fiber content of dragon fruit peels milk pie. The use of dragon fruit peels which were originally a food waste can improve the quality of milk pie products in terms of water content, fiber, and vitamin C. The addition of dragon fruit peels can also reduce the water content in the milk pie and make the product more durable.
Cite this article:
Latifahtur Rahmah, Arif Nur Muhammad Ansori, Nurul Azizah Choiriyah, Hilda Tjahjani Iskandar, Gilbert Yanuar Hadiwirawan, Maksim Rebezov, Olga Gorelik. Substitution of Dragon Fruit Peels on Vitamin C, Water content, and Fiber in Milk Pie to improve human health. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(8):3690-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00619
Latifahtur Rahmah, Arif Nur Muhammad Ansori, Nurul Azizah Choiriyah, Hilda Tjahjani Iskandar, Gilbert Yanuar Hadiwirawan, Maksim Rebezov, Olga Gorelik. Substitution of Dragon Fruit Peels on Vitamin C, Water content, and Fiber in Milk Pie to improve human health. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(8):3690-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00619 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-8-61
1. Habashy MM, Ong ES, Abdeldayem OM, Al-Sakkari EG, Rene ER. Food waste: A promising source of sustainable biohydrogen fuel. Trends in Biotechnology. 2021; S0167-7799(21)00082-2. doi.org/10.1016/j.tibtech.2021.04.001
2. Kim J, Rundle-Thiele S, Knox K, Burke K, Bogomolova S. Consumer perspectives on household food waste reduction campaigns. Journal of Cleaner Production. 2020; 243:118608. doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.118608
3. Withanage SV, Dias GM, Habib K. Review of household food waste quantification methods: Focus on composition analysis. Journal of Cleaner Production. 2021;279:123722. doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.123722
4. Principato L, Mattia G, Di Leo A, Pratesi CA. The household wasteful behaviour framework: A systematic review of consumer food waste. Industrial Marketing Management. 2021;93(September 2019) :641–649. doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2020.07.010
5. Aydin AE, Yildirim P. Understanding food waste behavior: The role of morals, habits and knowledge. Journal of Cleaner Production. 2021;280:124250. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.124250
6. Bravi L, Francioni B, Murmura F, Savelli E. Factors affecting household food waste among young consumers and actions to prevent it. A Comparison Among UK, Spain And Italy. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. 2020;153 (February 2020):104586. doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2019.104586
7. Mondéjar-Jiménez JA, Ferrari G, Secondi L, Principato L. From the table to waste: An exploratory study on behaviour towards food waste of spanish and italian youths. Journal of Cleaner Production. 2016;138:8–18. doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.06.018
8. Magalhães VSM, Ferreira LMDF, Silva C. Using a methodological approach to model causes of food loss and waste in fruit and vegetable supply chains. Journal of Cleaner Production. 2021;283, 124574. doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.124574
9. Esparza I, Jiménez-Moreno N, Bimbela F, Ancín-Azpilicueta C, Gandía LM. Fruit and vegetable waste management: conventional and emerging approaches. Journal of Environmental Management. 2020; 265(July 2020): 110510. doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2020.110510
10. Gavahian M, Sastry SK. Ohmic-assisted peelsing of fruits: Understanding the mechanisms involved, effective parameters, and prospective applications in the food industry. Trends in Food Science and Technology. 2020;106(December 2020):345–354. doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2020.10.027
11. Pande SD, Wagh AS, Bhagure LB, Patil SG, Deshmukh AR. Preparation and evaluation of phytosomes of pomegrane peels. Research Journal Pharmacy and Technology. 2015;8(4):416–422. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2015.00070.0
12. Sharmila S, Teja PR, Gupta DVCG, Lakshmi PK, Kowsalya E, Kamalambigeswari R, et al. Production of biodegradable plastics using starch and waste fruit peels. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2021;13(1):44–48. doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2020.110510
13. Kiruthika N, Somanathan T. Killing insecticides silver nanoparticles (KISN) from fruit peels waste for larvicidal and antihelmenthic activity. Research Journal Pharmacy and Technology. 2018;11(10):4308–4312. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00788.6
14. Al-Mekhlafi NA, Mediani A, Ismail NH, Abas F, Dymerski T, Lubinska-Szczygeł M, et al. Metabolomic and antioxidant properties of different varieties and origins of dragon fruit. Microchemical Journal. 2021;160(January 2021):105687. doi.org/10.1016/j.microc.2020.105687
15. Pedda Kasim D, Sai Kishore N, Suneetha P, Bramareswara Rao K, Naresh Kumar M, Krishna MSR. Multiple shoot regeneration in seed-derived immature leaflet explants of red dragon fruit (Hylocereus costaricensis). Research Journal Pharmacy and Technology. 2019;12(4):1491–1494. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00246.4
16. Arivalagan M, Karunakaran G, Roy TK, Dinsha M, Sindhu BC, Shilpashree VM, et al. Biochemical and nutritional characterization of dragon fruit (Hylocereus species). Food Chemistry. 2021;353(August 2021):129426. doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2021.129426
17. Tran DH, Yen CR, Chen YKH. Effects of bagging on fruit characteristics and physical fruit protection in red pitaya (hylocereus spp.). Biological Agriculture and Horticulture. 2015;31(3):158–66. /doi.org/10.1080/01448765.2014.991939
18. Qin J, Wang Y, He G, Chen L, He H, Cheng X, et al. High efficiency micropropagation of dormant buds in spine base of red pitaya (Hylocereus polyrhizus) for industrial breeding. International Journal Of Agriculture and Biology. 2017;19(1):193–8. DOI:10.17957/IJAB/15.0264
19. Bai X, Zhou T, Lai T, Zhang H. Optimization of the microwave-assisted extraction of polyphenols from red pitaya peels using response surface methodology. Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research. 2018;77(7):419–24.
20. Silva Adcc Da, Sabião Rr, Chiamolera Fm, Segantini Dm, Martins Abg. Morphological traits as tool to verify genetic variability of interspecific dragon fruit hybrids. Revista Brasileira de Fruticultura. 2017;39(1). doi.org/10.1590/0100-29452017168
21. Hua Q, Chen C, Tel Zur N, Wang H, Wu J, Chen J, et al. Metabolomic characterization of pitaya fruit from three red-peelsned cultivars with different pulp colors. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry. 2018;126(May 2018):117–25. /doi.org/10.1016/j.plaphy.2018.02.027
22. Venkatasathya Sai Appala Raju Velaga, Nagaraja Suryadevara, Ricca Tai Ching Ying, Ponmurugan P GD. Analgesic activity of annona squamosa linn fruit peels on swis albino mice. Research Journal Pharmacy and Technology. 2020;13(7):3199–204. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00566.1
23. Devi NKD, Suresh G, Pravallika M, Poojitha J, Murthy M, Sree VK. Antioxidant and anthelmintic potential of borassus flabellifer kernel peels. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2014;6(4):181–186.
24. Nur’Aliaa AR, Siti Mazlina MK, Taip FS. Effects of commercial pectinases application on selected properties of red pitaya juice. Journal of Food Process Engineering. 2011;34(5):1523–1534. doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4530.2009.00388.x
25. Song H, Chu Q, Yan F, Yang Y, Han W, Zheng X. Red pitaya betacyanins protects from diet-induced obesity, liver steatosis and insulin resistance in association with modulation of gut microbiota in mice. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2016;31(8):1462–1469. doi.org/10.1111/jgh.13278
26. Lee S, Suh DH, Lee S, Heo DY, Kim YS, Cho SK, et al. Metabolite profiling of red and white pitayas (Hylocereus polyrhizus and Hylocereus undatus) for comparing betalain biosynthesis and antioxidant activity. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2014;62(34):8764–8771. doi.org/10.1021/jf5020704
27. Aditee Kagde, Rutuja Lagad VS. In vivo and in vitro evaluation of antimicrobial activity of peel extracts of red dragon fruit ( hylocereus polyrhizus ). Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2019;11(1):23-26. doi: 10.5958/0975-4385.2019.00005.0
28. Kurzer A, Wiriyaphanich T, Cienfuegos C, Spang E, Guinard JX. Exploring fruit’s role in dessert: The dessert flip and its impact on university student acceptance and food waste. Food Quality and Preference. 2020;83(July 2020): 103917. doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2020.103917
29. Yuvaraj J, Faraday MK, Arun A. A legion study on the comparison of therapeutic potential of arecaceae and refined saccharum officinarum sugar. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2019;12(4):1740–1744. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00291.9
30. Marcano J, Varela P, Cunha LM, Fiszman S. Relating dynamic perception of reformulated cheese pies to consumers’ expectations of satiating ability. Food Research International. 2015;78:369–377. dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2015.09.005
31. Leelawat B, Mundee P. Effect of trans -fat free shortening and temperature on the rheological characteristics of pie crust dough and quality of pie crust. Food and Applied Bioscience . 2014;2(2):115–25. doi.org/10.14456/fabj.2014.9
32. Paintsil Y. Sensory and rheological properties of reduced-fat rock buns and mango pie containing a papaya (carica papaya)-derived fat replacer. Kwame Nkrumah University Of Science And Technology. 2008.
33. Rybak-Chmielewska H. Official methods of analysis. Association Of Official Analytical Chemistry. 2003;1(Volume 1):73–80
34. Stelmock RL, Husby FM, Brundage AL. Application of van soest acid detergent fiber method. Journal of Dairy Science. 1985;68(6):1502–1506. doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(85)80989-9
35. Abriyani E, Fikayuniar L. Screening phytochemical, antioxidant activity and vitamin c assay from bungo perak-perak ( Begonia versicolar irmsch) leaves . Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2020;10(3):183-187. doi: 10.5958/2231-5691.2020.00032.5
36. Bansal V. et al. High performance liquid chromatography: A short review. Journal of Global Pharma Technology. 2009;(June):85–90.
37. Jamilah B, Shu CE, Kharidah M, Dzulkifly MA, Noranizan A. Physico-chemical characteristics of red pitaya (hylocereus polyrhizus) peels. International Food Research Journal. 2011;18(1):279–86.
38. Vera Zambrano M, Dutta B, Mercer DG, MacLean HL, Touchie MF. Assessment of moisture content measurement methods of dried food products in small-scale operations in developing countries: A review. Trends in Food Science and Technology. 2019;88(April):484–496. doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2019.04.006
39. Bouraoui M, Richard P, Fichtali J. A review of moisture content determination in foods using microwave oven drying. Food Research International. 1993;26(1):49–57. doi.org/10.1016/0963-9969(93)90105-R
40. Menon A, Stojceska V, Tassou SA. A systematic review on the recent advances of the energy efficiency improvements in non-conventional food drying technologies. Trends In Food Science and Technology. 2020;100(March):67–76. doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2020.03.014
41. Nollet LML. Handbook of meat, poultry and seafood quality: Second edition. Blackwell Publishing. 2021
42. Cheng T, Tang J, Yang R, Xie Y, Chen L, Wang S. Methods to obtain thermal inactivation data for pathogen control in low-moisture foods. Trends in Food Science and Technology. 2021;112(June 2021):174–187. doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2021.03.048
43. Debnath S, Jawahar S, Muntaj H, Purushotham V, Sharmila G, Sireesha K, et al. A Review on Dietary Fiber and its Application. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2019;11(3):109-113. doi: 10.5958/0975-4385.2019.00019.0
44. Bhagya Bhagya Raj GVS, Dash KK. Ultrasound-assisted extraction of phytocompounds from dragon fruit peels: Optimization, kinetics and thermodynamic studies. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry. 2020;68(November 2020):105180. doi.org/10.1016/j.ultsonch.2020.105180
45. Lattimer JM, Haub MD. Effects of dietary fiber and its components on metabolic health. Nutrients. 2010;2(12):1266–1289. doi.org/10.3390/nu2121266
46. Fathordoobady F, Jarzębski M, Pratap-Singh A, Guo Y, Abd-Manap Y. Encapsulation of betacyanins from the peels of red dragon fruit (Hylocereus polyrhizus L.) in alginate microbeads. Food Hydrocolloids. 2021;113(April 2021):106535. doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2020.106535