The objective of the present study is to evaluate the extended release tablets of levitiracetam by using HPMC K100, HPMC K15 and Xanthan gum/Ethyl cellulose effect of the dissolution rate of tablets. Tablet each containing 60mg of Levetiracetam were prepared selected combination of factors to evaluate their individual and interaction effects on dissolution rate. The FTIR spectra of pure drug and mixture with various excipients are similar. It’s indicates no chemical intration between drug and excipients. The drug release from all the tablets was diffusion control as indicated by the linear Higuchi plots. The release data was analysed Peppas equation the release exponent (n) was found to be in the range 0.76-0.93. Amount all the levetiracetam tablets prepared formulation F2 (fa) formulated employing HPMC K100, 60mg, HMPC K15, 25mg , Xanthane gum 25mg. In the all cases formulations F1, F3, F4, F5, F8 Indicates non fickain diffusion and F2, F6, F7 Indicates super case II transport as release mechanism. The formulation F2 (Fa) was released 100% drug release in a 8 hrs. It is fulfil specifications for extended release tablets. The results of ANOVA of Ko values indicated that the individual and combined effect of the 3 factors is significant (P< 0.05).
Cite this article:
Ch. Taraka Ramarao, Somireddy. Madhuri. In- vitro Design and Formulation of Levitiracetam Extended Release Tablets. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(8):3681-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00617
Ch. Taraka Ramarao, Somireddy. Madhuri. In- vitro Design and Formulation of Levitiracetam Extended Release Tablets. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(8):3681-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00617 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-8-59
1. Shoemaker MT, Rotenberg JS. Levetiracetam for the treatment of neonatal seizures. Journal of Child Neurology 2007; 22:95–8. doi:10.1177/0883073807299973.
2. Gonçalves J, Bicker J, Gouveia F, Liberal J, Oliveira RC, Alves G, et al. Nose-to-brain delivery of Levetiracetam after intranasal administration to mice. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 2019; 564:329–39. doi:10.1016/j.ijpharm.2019.04.047.
3. Sivaneswari S, Karthikeyan E, Chandana PJ. Novel expandable gastro retentive system by unfolding mechanism of levetiracetam using simple lattice design – formulation optimization and in vitro evaluation. Bulletin of Faculty of Pharmacy, Cairo University 2017; 55:63–72. doi:10.1016/j.bfopcu.2017.02.003.
4. S. S, E. K, D. V, P.J. C, P. SS, P. S, et al. Physiochemical characterization of taste masking levetiracetam ion exchange resinates in the solid state and formulation of stable liquid suspension for pediatric use. Beni-Suef University Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences 2016; 5:126–33. doi:10.1016/j.bjbas.2016.04.004.
5. El Aita I, Breitkreutz J, Quodbach J. On-demand manufacturing of immediate release levetiracetam tablets using pressure-assisted microsyringe printing. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics 2019; 134:29–36. doi:10.1016/j.ejpb.2018.11.008.
6. Cui M, Pan H, Fang D, Qiao S, Wang S, Pan W. Fabrication of high drug loading levetiracetam tablets using semi-solid extrusion 3D printing. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology 2020; 57:101683. doi:10.1016/j.jddst.2020.101683.
7. Notario-Pérez F, Martín-Illana A, Cazorla-Luna R, Ruiz-Caro R, Bedoya L-M, Peña J, et al. Development of mucoadhesive vaginal films based on HPMC and Zein as novel formulations to prevent sexual transmission of HIV. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 2019; 570:118643. doi:10.1016/j.ijpharm.2019.118643.
8. Okeke OC, Boateng JS. Composite HPMC and sodium alginate based buccal formulations for nicotine replacement therapy. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 2016; 91:31–44. doi:10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2016.05.079.
9. Ramarao CT, Vijaya Ratna J, Srinivasa RB. Design and characterization of Alfuzosin hcl gastroretentive floating matrix tablets employing HPMC K 100m. Indian Drugs 2018; 55:71–3. doi:10.53879/id.55.11.10741.
10. Taraka Ramarao C, Srinivasa Rao B, Vijayaratana J. Sustained release matrix tablets of diclofenac sodium employing Kollidon Sr, Peg 6000, lactose mono hydrate and Eudragit S100 in colon target. Indian drugs 2017; 54:38–43. doi:10.53879/id.54.10.10814.
11. Chowdary KPR. Taraka Ramarao CH: A Factorial Study on the Evaluation of Formulation Variables on the Dissolution Rate of Etoricoxib Tablets. Asian Journal of Chemistry 2011; 23(3): 958-960.
12. Taraka CH, Chowdary KPR: Formulation Development of Valsartan Tablets: Optimization by 23 Factorial Design, in vitro and Pharmacokinetic Evaluation. World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2016; 5(02): 1423-1434.
13. Rao T CH, Lavyna G. Atenolol and Glipizide bilayer Floating Tablets: Formulation and Evaluation. European J Pharm and Med Res 2015; 2(7): 211-219.
14. TarakaRamarao CH, Bhavyasri K. Formulation and Evaluation of Zidovudine Floating Tablets. World J. Pharma and Pharm Sci 2018; 7(8): 1210-1220.