Yussur Falah Faraj, Fatma Abd Alhamza Obed, Baan Abdulatif Mtashar, Nidal Karim Al-Rahal, Jaafar Hussien Kareem.
Yussur Falah Faraj, Fatma Abd Alhamza Obed, Baan Abdulatif Mtashar, Nidal Karim Al-Rahal, Jaafar Hussien Kareem
National Center of Hematology, Mustansiriyah University, Baghdad, Iraq.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 8,
Year - 2022
Background: Hemophilia is a bleeding disorder characterized by recurrent bleeding, especially in joints (hemarthrosis), leading to destructive effect to the most of joint components, resulting in synovitis, osteochondral degeneration, and eventually, end-stage hemophilic arthropathy. Objective: Since few published data exist about the influence of OPG (Osteoprotegrin) and RANKL (receptor activator of nuclear factor-kappa B ligand) in haemophilic arthropathy, the present study is conducted to investigate their serum level in hemophilic patients. Methodology: This study has been carried out on Iraqi patients with hemophilia in the National Center of Hematology/Mustansiriyah University. Forty male patients involved in this study with a range of (11-44) years old, Hemophilia A affected 25 of them, while the other 15 were hemophilia B. Along with patient group, 20 healthy subjects with matched age and gender were involved as control group. The presence and severity of arthropathy among patients was determined based activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT)) in hemophilic patients, while RANKL and OPG were determined in the serum samples of healthy and patient subjects. Result: The serum level of RANKL in Hemophilia A patients was (204.6pg/ml) is significantly (p0.001) higher than in control (164.5pg/ml) and in Hemophilia B patients was (200pg/ml). While the serum level of OPG in Hemophilia A patients was (67.2pg/ml) is significantly (p0.002) higher than in control (30.21pg /ml) and in Hemophilia B patients (48.85pg/ml). Conclusion: It can be concluded that this system RANKL, RANK, and OPG are important for the metabolism of bones.
Cite this article:
Yussur Falah Faraj, Fatma Abd Alhamza Obed, Baan Abdulatif Mtashar, Nidal Karim Al-Rahal, Jaafar Hussien Kareem. Influence of RANKL and OPG in Hemophilic arthropathy. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(8):3656-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00612
Yussur Falah Faraj, Fatma Abd Alhamza Obed, Baan Abdulatif Mtashar, Nidal Karim Al-Rahal, Jaafar Hussien Kareem. Influence of RANKL and OPG in Hemophilic arthropathy. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(8):3656-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00612 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-8-54
1. Bolton-Maggs P.H., Pasi K.J. Haemophilias A and B. Lancet. 2003; May 24;361:1801–1809. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(03)13405-8.
2. Pollmann H., Richter H., Ringkamp H., Jurgens H. When are children diagnosed as having severe haemophilia and when do they start to bleed? A 10-year single-centre PUP study. Eur. J. Pediatr. 1999 DEC;158(Suppl. 3):S166–S170.doi: 10.1007/pl00014347.
3. Van Vulpen LFD, van Meegeren MER, Roosendaal G, Jansen NWD, van Laar JM, Schutgens REG, Mastbergen SC, and Lafeber FPJG (2015). Biochemical markers of joint tissue damage increase shortly after a joint bleed; an explorative human and canine in vivo study. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage; 23: 63-69. . 2015 Jan;23(1):63-9. doi: 10.1016/j.joca.2014.09.008. Epub 2014 Sep 16.
4. Oldenburg J, Zimmermann R, Katsarou O, Zanon E, Kellermann E, Lundin B and Ellinghaus P (2016). Potential biomarkers of haemophilic arthropathy: correlations with compatible additive magnetic resonance imaging scores. Haemophilia 2016 Sep;; 22: 760-764 doi: 10.1111/hae.12936. Epub 2016 Jun 24
5. Baud’huin M, Duplomb L, Téletchéa S, Charrier C, Maillasson M, Fouassier M and Heymann D . Factor VIII-von Willebrand factor complex inhibits osteoclastogenesis and controls cell survival. J Biol Chem2009 Nov; 284 (46): 31704-13. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M109.030312
6. Saidenberg-Kermanac’h N, Cohen-Solal M, Bessis N, De Vernejoul MC and Boissier MC (2004). Role of Osteoprotegerin in rheumatoid inflammation. Joint Bone Spine. 2004 Jan; 71: 9-13. doi: 10.1016/S1297-319X(03)00131-3.
7. Vandooren B, Cantaert T, Noordenbos T, Tak PP and Baeten D. The abundant synovial expression of the RANK/RANKL/Osteoprotegerin system in peripheral spondyloarthritis is partially disconnected from inflammation. Arthritis Rheum. 2008 Mar; ;58(3):718-29. doi: 10.1002/art.23290.
8. Schett G, Hayer S, Zwerina J, Redlich K and Smolen JS. Mechanisms of disease: the link between RANKL and arthritic bone disease. Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol; 2005 Nov;1(1):47-54. doi: 10.1038/ncprheum0036.
9. Hofbauer LC and Heufelder AE. Role of receptor activator of nuclear factor-kappa B ligand and Osteoprotegerin in bone cell biology. J Mol Med;. 2001 Jun;79(5-6):243-53. doi: 10.1007/s001090100226
10. Holstead JD, Kong Y-Y and Penninger JM (2002). Role of RANKL and RANK in bone loss and arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis; 2002 Nov;61 Suppl 2(Suppl 2):ii32-9. doi: 10.1136/ard.61.suppl_2.ii32.
11. Levin Hillman CR, and Lusher JM (1982): Determining the sensitivity of coagulation screening reagents: a simplified method. Lab. Med. 13 (3): 162-165.
12. Lowry R (2013): Concepts and Applications of Inferential Statistics. cited on [www.vassarstats.net].
13. Srivastava A, Brewer AK, Mauser-Bunschoten EP, Key NS, Kitchen S, Llinas A, Ludlam CA, Mahlangu JN, Mulder K, Poon M-C, and Street A. Guidelines for the management of hemophilia. Haemophilia. 2013 Jan;19(1):e1-47. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2516.2012.02909.x. Epub 2012 Jul 6.
14. Melchiorre D, Linari S, Manetti M, Romano E, Sofi F, Matucci-Cerinic M, Carulli C, Innocenti M, Ibba-Manneschi L and Castaman G (2016). Clinical, instrumental, serological and histological findings suggest that hemophilia B may be less severe than hemophilia A. Haematologica; 2016 Feb;101(2):219-25. doi: 10.3324/haematol.2015.133462. Epub 2015 Oct 22.
15. Rodriguez-Merchan EC (2010). Musculoskeletal complications of hemophilia. HSS J; 2009 Nov 17; 6 (1):37-42. doi: 10.1007/s11420-009-9140-9
16. Carcao MD, van den Berg HM, Ljung R and Mancuso ME. Correlation between phenotype and genotype in a large unselected cohort of children with severe hemophilia A. Blood; 2013 May 9;121(19):3946-52, S1. doi: 10.1182/blood-2012-11-469403. Epub 2013 Mar 12.
17. Ozkan S, Turktas U, Ceylan FM, Guner S, Dogan A and Hiz O (2014). Clinical evaluation of the joints of patients with Hemophilia. Arch Clin Exp Surg; 2014; 3(4): 233-239: doi: 10.5455/aces.20131229032456
18. Pettersson H, Ahlberg A, Nilsson IM (1980). A radiologic classification of hemophilic arthropathy. Clin Orthop Relat Res; 149:153‑9.