Amlodipine is a BCS class I oral hypertensive drug widely prescribed for the management of severe hypertension. The need of rapid reduction of elevated blood pressure makes designing of drug delivery systems that can release the drug in systemic circulation in very short span of time very significant. In the present study an endeavor was made to formulate mouth dissolving films (MDFs) containing amlodipine using a natural polymer, xanthan gum as the film forming polymer. Solvent casting method was utilized to formulate the MDFs. A 32 factorial approach was used for preparing the films with concentration of polymer and plasticizer as the independent variables. All the formulations demonstrated quick drug release, rapid disintegration and optimal mechanical strength. The formulations were also found to be able to release almost complete drug content within a period of 10 minutes. The maximum amount of drug was released by AF4 (97%) while AF5 released the lowest amount of drug (90%) in the same period. The results of accelerated stability study exhibited that all the batches of prepared films were stable under the storage conditions.
Cite this article:
Prateek Kumar, Rajneesh Kumar Gupta. Formulation and Characterization of Mouth Dissolving Films of Amlodipine using Natural Polymer. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(8):3651-5. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00611
Prateek Kumar, Rajneesh Kumar Gupta. Formulation and Characterization of Mouth Dissolving Films of Amlodipine using Natural Polymer. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(8):3651-5. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00611 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-8-53
1. Ponchel G. Formulation of oral mucosal drug delivery systems for the systemic delivery of bioactive materials. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews.1993; 13: 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/0169-409X(94)90027-2
2. Sultana F, Arafat M, Pathan S. Preparation and evaluation of fast dissolving oral film of caffeine. International Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences. 2013; 3: 153-161.
3. Marabathuni VJ, Bhavani M, Lavanya M, Padmaja K, Madhavi N, Babu P, Prasada Rao Ch MM. Formulation and evaluation of mouth dissolving Tablets of carbamazepine. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2017; 7 (3): 137-143. doi: 10.5958/2231-5713.2017.00022.8.
4. Pawar HA, Kamat SR. Development and Evaluation of Mouth Dissolving Film of Ondansetron Hydrochloride Using Hpmc E 5 in Combination with Taro Gum and Other Commercially Available Gums. Journal of Molecular Pharmaceutics and Organic Process Reasearch. 2017; 5: 138. doi: 10.4172/2329-9053.1000138
5. Jani D, Nagesh C., Megha H, Chandrashekhar S, Patel N. Formulation and Evaluation of Buccal Films of Timolol maleate. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2012; 4(3): 177-184.
6. Sarasija S, Pandit V, Joshi HP. Mouth dissolving tablets of salbutamol sulphate. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2007; 69: 467-469
7. Kunte S, Tandale P. Fast dissolving strips: A novel approach for the delivery of verapamil. Journal of Pharmacy and BioAllied Sciences. 2010; 2: 325–328. DOI: 10.4103/0975-7406.72133
8. Jayarao RY, Deborah D, Ambedkar T, Manohar Babu S. Formulation and Evaluation of Fast Dissolving Oral Films of Perindopril. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2014; 6(2): 71-80.
9. Dinge A., Nagarsenker M. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissoving films for delivery of triclosan to the oral cavity. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech. 2008; 9: 349-356. DOI: 10.1208/s12249-008-9047-7
10. https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00381 assessed on 29/04/2021
11. Marabathuni VJ, Dinesh P, Ravikumar R, Yamini P, Sai Kiran P, Hussain Sd P, Prasada Rao ChMM. Chitosan Based Sustained Release Mucoadhesive Buccal Patches Containing Amlodipine Besylate (AMB). Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2017; 7(2): 97-104. DOI: 10.5958/2231-5659.2017.00009.1
12. Singh S. Formulation and invitro evaluation of mouth dissolving films of amlodipine besylate. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2020; 9(6): 974-997. DOI: 10.20959/wjpps20206-16024
13. Badwar MR, Borse SL, Junagade MS, Jadhav AG. Formulation and evaluation of mouth dissolving tablet of amlodipine besylate. International Journal of Applied Pharmaceutics. 2019; 11(4): 132-139. DOI: https://doi.org/10.22159/ijap.2019v11i1.28457
14. Gorle A, Patil G. Design, Development and Evaluation of Fast Dissolving Film of Amlodipine Besylate International Journal of Chem Tech Reasearch. 2017; 10(4): 334-344.
15. Maheswari KM, Devineni PK, Deekonda S, Shaik S, Uppala NP, Nalluri BN. Development and Evaluation of Mouth Dissolving Films of Amlodipine Besylate for Enhanced Therapeutic Efficacy. Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2014; http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/520949
16. Rai A, Sharma S. Preparation and Evaluation of Oral Dispersible Formulations of Amlodipine Besylate. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Development. 2019; 7(5): 43-56. DOI:10.22270/ajprd.v7i5.560
17. Bahri-Najafi R, Tavakoli N, Senemar M, Peikanpour M. Preparation and pharmaceutical evaluation of glibenclamide slow release mucoadhesive buccal film. Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014; 9(3): 213-223
18. Saha P, Das PS. Formulation Development and Evaluation of Buccal Patches of Aceclofenac for Gingivitis. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2017; 9(4): 163-167. DOI: 10.5958/0975-4377.2017.00023.4
19. Bala R, Khanna S, Pawar P. Design Optimization and In Vitro-In Vivo Evaluation of Orally Dissolving Strips of Clobazam. Journal of Drug Delivery. 2014; http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/392783
20. Miyan SS, Ahamed VA, Khaleel M, Mohammed YH. Formulation and Evaluation of Oro-dispersible tablets of an Antihypertensive drug using Superdisintegrants. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2011; 3(6): 269-275.
21. Gidwani B, Patel L, Gupta A, Kaur CD. Ultra-Violet Spectrophotometric Method for Estimation and Validation of Amlodipine in Bulk and Tablet Formulation. Journal of Analytical and Pharmaceutical Research. 2017; 4(6): 00125. DOI: 10.15406/japlr.2017.04.00125
22. Velmurugan S, Deepika B, Nagaraju K, Vinushitha S. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of buccal tablets of piroxicam International Journal of Pharm Tech Research. 2010; 2(3): 1958-1968.