A new molecule, 3,5-dimethyl-2,6-bis(2,4-dichlorophenyl) piperidin-4-one was synthesized by a modified Mannich condensation of 2 moles of 2,4-dichlorobenzaldehyde, 1mole each of 3-pentanone and ammonium acetate (instead of amine in the typical procedure) in ethanol; recrystallized with ethanol to afford the pale yellow powder with 56% yield. The molecule was characterized by IR, 1H NMR,13C NMR and elemental analysis. Based on the NMR data, it is identified that the molecule exists in a chair conformation with equatorial orientation of all the substituents. Apart, few interesting NMR results are, (i) a broad singlet was observed for the active methine protons at C-3 and C-5, instead of a multiplet, (ii) significant deshielding of the protons at C-2 and C-6 due to the interaction of these protons with chlorine atoms at ortho positions (2’a and 6’a) of the phenyl groups; leads to restricted rotation of the phenyl groups as well, (iii) The ortho protons of 2,4-dichloro phenyl (2’e and 6’e) were also deshielded by nitrogen lone pair; about half of the deshielding magnitude is due to the protons at C-2 and C-6. Antioxidant efficacy of the molecule was verified with DPPH and ABTS methods.
Cite this article:
J. Dineshkumar, P. Parthiban. Synthesis, NMR Study and Antioxidant potency of 3,5-dimethyl-2,6-bis(2,4-dichlorophenyl) piperidin-4-one. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(8):3641-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00609
J. Dineshkumar, P. Parthiban. Synthesis, NMR Study and Antioxidant potency of 3,5-dimethyl-2,6-bis(2,4-dichlorophenyl) piperidin-4-one. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(8):3641-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00609 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-8-51
1. Lu JM, Lin PH, Yao Q, Chen C. Chemical and molecular mechanisms of antioxidants: experimental approaches and model systems. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine. 2010; 14 (4): 840-60. doi.org/10.1111/j.1582-4934.2009.00897.x
2. Shivani S, Manpreet R, Hitesh K, Bharat P. It’s era to move towards nature for getting beneficial effects of plants having Antioxidant activity to fight against deleterious diseases. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2013; 3(2): 103-6.
3. Daniel SS, Geetha RV. Antioxidant Activity of Dry Fruits: A Short Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2014; 7(11): 1319-22.
4. Ak T, Gulcin I. Antioxidant and radical scavenging properties of curcumin. Chemico-Biological Interactions. 2008; 174: 27–37. doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2008.05.003
5. Elias J, Rajesh MG, Anish NP, Manu MS, Varkey IC. Terminalia chebula Retz. Stem Bark Extract: A Potent Natural Antioxidant. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2011, 4(3): 445-9.
6. Kanagavalli M., Anuradha R. A Study on Phytochemical Constituents and In Vitro Antioxidant Activity of Carica papaya. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2012; 5(1): 119-20.
7. Jinsu M, Kavita MA, Akash M, Gaurav K, Loganathan K, Kokati VBR. Evaluation of phytochemical composition and antioxidant activity of aqueous extract of Barleriamysorensis and Furcraeafoetida leaves. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2012; 5(12): 1503-8.
8. Mahadeva Rao US, Khamsah SM, Siti ZBAH, Masitah BK. Screening of Phytochemicals and Comparative Antioxidant activity of Leaf and Fruit of Malaysian Mengkudu Using Aqueous and Organic Solvent Extracts. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013; 6(9): 1064-72.
9. Ashitha GM, Krupa MJ, Charles LP, Kokati VBR. Phytochemical Composition and Antioxidant Activities of Various Stem Extracts of Bacopa monnieri Linn. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013; 6(9): 1073-8.
10. Sumit P, Neelam G, Kavita MA, Gaurav K, Loganathan K, Kokati VBR. Evaluation of Phytochemical Composition, Antioxidant and Cytotoxic Activity of Ipomoea fistulosa Leaves (Convolvulaceae). Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2014; 7(4): 454-9.
11. Dhanalakshmi S, Harikrishnan N. A Perspective Study on Antioxidant activity of Nerium oleander (flower). Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2017; 10(10): 3449-52.
12. Akshay RY, Shrinivas KM. Antioxidant Activity of Malvastrumcoromandelianum Leaf extracts. Research Journal of Topical and Cosmetic Science. 2020; 11(2): 59-61. 10.5958/2321-5844.2020.00009.6
13. Ponnuswamy S, Kayalvizhi R, Sethuvasan S, Sugumar P, Ponnuswamy MN. Synthesis, stereochemistry, crystal structure, docking study and biological evaluation of some new N-benzylpiperidin-4-ones. Journal of Molecular Structure. 2018; 1155: 654-65. doi.org/10.1016/j.molstruc.2017.11.024
14. Ganellin CR, Spickett RGW. Compounds Affecting the Central Nervous System. I. 4-Piperidones and Related Compounds. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 1965; 8: 619-25. doi.org/10.1021/jm00329a015
15. El-Subbagh HI, Abu-Zaid SM, Mahran MA, Badria FA, Al-Obaid AM. Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of Certain α,β-Unsaturated Ketones and Their Corresponding Fused Pyridines as Antiviral and Cytotoxic Agent. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2000; 43 (15): 2915-21. doi.org/10.1021/jm000038m
16. Parthiban P, Pallela R, Kim SK, Park DH, Jeong YT. Synthesis of polyfunctionalized piperidone oxime ethers and their cytotoxicity on HeLa cells. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters. 2011; 21: 6678–86. 10.1016/j.bmcl.2011.09.063
17. Dindulkar SD, Bhatnagar I, Gawade RL, Puranik VG, Kim SK, Anh DH, Parthiban P, Jeong YT. Design, synthesis and cytotoxicity of novel N-benzylpiperidin-4-one oximes on human cervical cancer cells. Journal of Chemical Sciences. 2014; 126 (3): 861–73. doi.org/10.1007/s12039-014-0622-z
18. Bekfelavi EY, Yılmaz O, Şahin E, Kuş NS. Novel halo‑molecules; synthesis, structure elucidation, mechanism, and antioxidant activity. Monatshefte für Chemie - Chemical Monthly. 2021; 152: 295–304. doi.org/10.1007/s00706-021-02746-2
21. Parthiban P, Subalakshmi V, Balasubramanian K, Islam MN, Choi JS, Jeong YT. Facile synthesis and stereochemical investigation of Mannich base derivatives: Evaluation of antioxidant property and antituberculostic potency. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters. 2011; 21: 2287–96. doi.org/10.1016/j.bmcl.2011.02.103
22. Park DH, Venkatesan J, Kim SW, Ramkumar V, Parthiban P. Antioxidant properties of Mannich bases. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters. 2012; 22: 6362–7. doi.org/10.1016/j.bmcl.2012.08.080
23. Park DH, Venkatesan J, Kim SW, Parthiban P. Design, synthesis, stereochemistry and antioxidant properties of various 7-alkylated 2,4-diaryl-3-azabicyclo[3.3.1]nonan-9-ones. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters. 2012; 22: 6004–9. doi.org/10.1016/j.bmcl.2012.06.071
24. Noller CR, Baliah V. The Preparation of Some Piperidine Derivatives by the Mannich Reaction. Journal of American Chemical Society. 1948; 70: 3853-5. doi.org/10.1021/ja01191a092
25. Je, J.-Y.; Park, P.-J.; Kim, S.-K. Radical scavenging activity of hetero-chitooligosaccharides. European Food Research and Technology. 2004; 219: 60-5. doi.org/10.1007/s00217-004-0881-x
26. Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M. Rice-Evans C. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolourization assay. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 1999; 26: 1231-7. doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00315-3
27. Ilango SS, Ponnuswamy S, Viswanathan T. Conformational and antimicrobial studies of certain r-2,c-6-diarylpiperidin-4-ones. Indian Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry. 2010; 20: 17-20.