Manisha Bhatti, Divya Dhawal Bhandari, Jitender Singh
Manisha Bhatti1, Divya Dhawal Bhandari1*, Jitender Singh2*
1University Institute of Pharma Sciences, Chandigarh University, Gharuan, Mohali-140413, Punjab, India.
2Professor and Principal, Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, IET Bhaddal Technical Campus, Bhaddal, Distt. Rupnagar, Punjab-140108.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 8,
Year - 2022
Peptic Ulcer Disease (PUD) is one of the major problems of the gastrointestinal tract occurs in the stomach, duodenum and oesophagus. PUD is characterized by mucosal damage either by pepsin, gastric acid secretion or bacterial infection. Apart from infection due to gram negative bacteria-Helicobacter pylori, regular consumptions of the medications like, NSAIDS, steroids and excessive stress are also some major causes of the PUD. Complications of PUD may include bleeding, perforation, and blockage of the stomach. The PUD is an emerging health challenge in the developed and developing countries. Commonly use of potent synthetic antiulcer chemotherapy arises with adverse effects that might be a cause of serious health challenge. Traditional utilization and scientific reports of medicinal plants in the management of peptic ulcer-like-symptoms urge to redesign the existing clinical approach of using synthetic drugs for the treatment of PUD and adopt the scientifically proven plant drugs for the treatment of PUD which might free or have lesser adverse effects as compared to the synthetic chemotherapy. The review might bestow a strategic planning for the treatment of PUC to the medical practitioners and a newer scope to the researchers to explore the traditional claims of the plant drugs.
Cite this article:
Manisha Bhatti, Divya Dhawal Bhandari, Jitender Singh. Review on Peptic ulcer and its effective Management and Treatment with Herbals. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(8):3580-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00600
Manisha Bhatti, Divya Dhawal Bhandari, Jitender Singh. Review on Peptic ulcer and its effective Management and Treatment with Herbals. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(8):3580-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00600 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-8-42
1. Abdulla MA, Ali HM, Ahmed KA, Noor SM, Ismail S (2009) Evaluation of the anti-ulcer activities of Morus alba extracts in experimentally-induced gastric ulcer in rats. Biomed Res 20: 35–39.
2. Ahmad H, Wadud A, Jahan N, Khazir M, and Sofi G (2013) Evaluation of anti-ulcer activity of hydro alcoholic extract of Post Sumaq (Rhuscoriaria Linn.) in Ethanol induced Gastric ulcer in experimental rats. Int J Res Med Sci 1: 7–12.
3. Akshaya. K, Chitra. V. A Review on Pathological State and Herbal Remedies on Ulcerative Colitis. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(3): 1409-1417.
4. Anosike CA, Obidoa O (2010) Anti-inflammatory and antiulcerogenic effect of Ethanol extract of coconut (cocos nucifera) on experimental rats. Afr J Food Agri Nutr. Develop 10: 4286–4300.
5. Azamthulla M, Asad M, and Prasad VS (2009) Antiulcer activity of Allium sativum bulb juice in rats. Saudi Pharm J 17: 70–77.
6. Bansal VK and Goel RK (2012) Gastroprotective effect of Acacia nilotica young seedless pod extract: Role of polyphenolic constituents. Asian Pac J Trop Med5: 23-528.
7. Bhalke RD, Giri MA, Anarthe SJ, and Pal SC (2010) Antiulcer activity of the ethanol extract of leaves of Sesbania grandiflora (Linn.). Int J Appl Pharm 2: 206–208.
8. Borra SK, Lagisetty RK, and Mallela GR (2011) Anti-ulcer effect of Aloe vera in non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug induced peptic ulcers in rats. Afr J Pharm Pharmaco 5: 1867–1871.
9. Bose MM, Dakhale VM, Ganesh N, Tarunkar A (2003) Anti-ulcer activity of levcromakalim and Nicorandil in albino rats, a comparative study. Pol J Pharmacol 55:91-95.
10. Brooks FP (1985) The pathophysiology of peptic ulcer disease. Digestive Diseases and Sciences. New Delhi
11. Carvalho KIM, Fernandes HB, et al (2010) Antiulcer activity of ethanolic extract of Encholirium spectabile Mart. ex Schult and Schult f. (Bromeliaceae) in rodents. Biol Res 43: 459–465.
12. Chan FKL and Graham DY (2004) Review article: prevention of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug gastrointestinal complications—review and recommendations based on risk assessment. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 19:1051–1061.
13. Divakar MC, Rao SB, Nair GRN and Hisham A (2001) The role of fatty acids on the ulcer healing property of the nimbidin fraction of the neem oil. OAJMAP 23: 404–408.
14. Dos R, Oliveira SBD, et al (2009) Attenuation of colitis injury in rats using Garcinia cambogia extract. Phytother Res 23: 324–329.
15. Dugani A, Auzzi A, Naas F, Megwez S (2008) Effects of the oil and mucilage from flaxseed (Linum Usitatissimum) on gastric lesions induced by ethanol in rats. Lib J Med 6: 166–169.
16. Fernandes HB, Silva FV, Passos FFB, Bezerra RDS, Chaves MH, Oliveira FA, Oliveira RCM (2010) Gastroprotective effect of the ethanolic extract of Parkia platycephala Benth. Leaves against acute gastric lesion models in rodents. Biol Res 43: 451–457.
17. Ferreira AL, Almeida ACA, Cola, Barbastefano M, Almeida V, et al (2010) Mechanisms of the gastric antiulcerogenic activity of anacardium humile St. Hil on ethanol-induced acute gastric mucosal injury in rats. MDPI 15: 7153–7166.
18. Ganesan S, Pandi NR, and Banumathy N (2008) Ethanomedicinal survey of Alagarkoil Hills, Tamilnadu, India. E J of Ind Med 1: 1–18.
19. Garcia-Barrantes PM, Badilla B (2011) Anti-ulcerogenic properties of Quassia amara L. (Simaroubaceae) standardized extracts in rodent models. J Ethnopharmacol 134:904-910.
20. Goodman and Gilman’s (2011) The pharmacological basis of therapeutics. McGraw Hill, New York
21. Goulart YCF et al (2005) Evaluation of Gastric Anti-ulcer Activity in a Hydroethanolic Extract from Kielmeyera coriacea. Braz Arch Biol Technol 48: 211-216.
22. Gregory M, Mary RA, Hipolith Viji MM, Kalaichelvan VK, and Palanivel V (2013) Anti-ulcer activity of Ficus religiosa leaf ethanolic extract. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 3: 554–556.
23. Grossman M (2009) Peptic ulcer: A guide for the practicing physician. Am J Pharm Toxicol 4: 89-93.
24. Guaraldo L, Sertie JAA, Bacchi, EM (2001) J Ethnopharmacol 76: 191-95.
25. Hiruma-Lima CA, Gracioso JS, Toma W, Almeida AB, Paula AC, Brasil DS, Muller AH, Souza Brito AR (2001) Gastroprotective effect of aparisthman, a diterpene isolated from A paristhmium cordatum, on experimental gastric ulcer models in rats and mice. Phyto med 8: 94–100.
26. Hiruma-Lima CA, Santos LC, Kushima H, Pellizzon CH, Silveira GG, Vasconcelos PCP, Vilegas W, Souza Brito ARM (2006) Qualea grandiflora, a Brazilian “Cerrado” medicinal plant presents an important antiulcer activity J Ethnopharmacol 104: 207-14.
27. Huang JQ, Sridhar S, Hunt RH (2002) Role of Helicobacter pylori infection and nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory drugs in peptic ulcer disease a meta-analysis. Lancet 359:14-22.
28. Ibara JR, Elion I, et al (2007) Preliminary evaluation of antiulcerogenic activity of ceiba pentandra gaertn and helicrysum mechowianum klatt in rats. J Med Sci 7: 485–488.
29. Ilavarasan JR, Monideen S, and Vijayalakshmi M (2002) Antiulcer activity of Aegle marmelos. Anc Sci Life 21: 23–26.
30. Indran M, Mahmood AA, and Kuppusamy VR (2008) Protective effect of Carica papaya L leaf extract against alcohol induced acute gastric damage and blood oxidative stress in rats. West Indian Med J 57: 323–326.
31. Jadhav SA, Prasanna SM (2011) Evaluation of antiulcer activity of Zizyphus oenoplia (L) Mill. Root in rats. Asian J Pharmaceut Clin Res 4: 92–95.
32. Jafri MA, Javed FK, Singh S (2001) Evaluation of the gastric antiulcerogenic effect of large cardamom (fruits of Amomum subulatum Roxb) J Ethnopharmacol 75: 89-94.
33. Jaideep Singh, Shivalinge Gowda KP, Shrishailappa Badami, Rahul Akuskar, Nagarjan Tukuru, Scrutinizing the Fresh Juice of Leaves of Pedalium murex for the Antiulcer Activity in rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2(1): Jan.-Mar. 2009; Page 191-194.
34. Jain AS, Surana SJ (2009) Antiulcerogenic effects of Gymnosporia rothiana (Celastraceae) against different experimental models. Pharmacog Magaz 5: 100–104.
35. Ju Jung, H, Choi J, Hwan Nam J, Juhn Park H (2007) Antiulcerogenic effects of the flavonoid-rich fraction from the extract of orostachys japonicus in mice. J Med Food 10: 702–706.
36. Karbalay-Doust S, Noorafshan A (2009) Antiulcerogenic effects of matricaria chamomilla extract in experimental gastric ulcer in mice. Iran J Med Sci 34: 198–203.
37. Kavitha Shree GG, Parvathi S, Ramkumar PSS, Shanmuga Priya S (2012) Pharmacological and phytochemical evaluation of anti-ulcerogenic potential of Solanum nigrum. Indian J Pharm Sci Res 3:2837–2840.
38. Konan NA, Bacchi EM (2007) Antiulcerogenic effect and acute toxicity of a hydroethanolic extract from the cashew (Anacardium occidentale L.) leaves. J Ethnopharmacol 112: 237-42.
39. Kottaimuthu R (2008) Ethnobotany of the Valaiyans of Karandamalai, Dindigul District, Tamil Nadu, India. Ethnobot Leaflets 12:195–203.
40. Kumar K, Mruthunjaya K, Kumar S, and Mythreyi R (2013) Anti-ulcer activity of ethanol extract of the stem bark of Careyaarborea Roxb. ICPJ 2: 78–82.
41. Kumar MS, Anusuya N, and Bhuvaneswari P (2013) Antiulcerogenic effect of resin from Shorearobusta on experimentally induced ulcer modelsInt. J Pharm Sci Res 5: 269–272.
42. Kumar S, Suman S, Sharma S, and Kalra P (2011) Antiulcer effect of the methanolic extract of Tamarindusindica seeds in different experimental models. J Pharm Bioallied Sci 3: 236–241.
43. Kumar YR and Rajani GP (2011) Analgesic and anti-ulcer activities of ethanol and aqueous extracts of root of Bauhinia variegata Linn. Int J Pharmacol 7: 616–622.
44. Kumari ST, Ayyanar M, kumar MU, and Sekar T (2011) Ethnomedicinal plants used by Kanitribals in Pechiparai forests of Southern Western Ghats, Tamilnadu, India. Int J Plant Sci 2: 349–354.
45. Ligha AE, Fawehinmi HB (2009) Protection by liquorice in alcohol induced gastric mucosa damage. Pak J Nutr 8: 1532– 1536.
46. Lima ZP, Severi JA, Pellizzon CH, et al (2006) Can the aqueous decoction of mango flowers be used as an antiulcer agent. J Ethnopharmacol 106: 29–37.
47. Londonkar RL, Poddar PV (2009) Studies on activity of various extracts of Mentha arvensis Linn against drug induced gastric ulcers in mammals World J Gastrointest Oncol 1: 82–88.
48. Londonkar RL, Ranirukmini RK (2010) Antiulcerogenic study of different extracts of Butea frondosa Roxb in albino mice. J Pharmacog 1: 6–9.
49. Magaji RA, Okasha MAM, Abubakar MS, Fatihu MY (2007) Anti-ulcerogenic and anti-secretory activity of the n-butanol portion of Syzygium aromaticum in rat. Nig Journ Pharm Sci 6:119–126
50. Mahmood AA, Mariod AA, Al-Bayaty F, Abdel-Wahab SI (2010) Anti-ulcerogenic activity of Gynura procumbens leaf extract against experimentally-induced gastric lesions in rats. J Med Plants Res 4: 685–691.
51. Majeed W , Aslam B, Javed I, Khaliq T , Muhammad F , Ali A, Raza A (2015) Histopathological evaluation of gastro protective effect of Berberis vulgaris (Zereshk) seeds against aspirin induced ulcer in albino mice. Pak J Pharm Sci 28:1953-8.
52. Malairajan P, Gopalakrishnan G, et al (2008) Evalution of anti-ulcer activity of Polyalthia longifolia (Sonn.) Thwaites in experimental animals. Indian J Pharmacol 40: 126–128
53. Mariam A. Kadhem, Ahlam A. Abdul-niby, Huda K. Khassaf. Study the effect of Ethanolic extract of Anethum graveolens L. on Aspirin induced Gastric Ulcer in Male Guinea Pigs. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(9): 3793-3798.
54. Mayilsamy M and Rajendran A (2013) Ethnomedicinal plants used by paliyartribals in Dindigul district of Tamil Nadu, India. IJSRIS 3: 146–152.
55. Mazumder PM, Sasmal D, Nambi RA (2008) Antiulcerogenic and antioxidant effects of Coccinia granids (Linn) Voigt leaves on aspirin-induced gastric ulcer in rats. Nat Prod Rad 7: 15–18
56. Mesia-Vela S, Bielavsky M, et al (2007) J Ethnopharmacol 111: 403-08.
57. Mofleh IAA, Alhaider AA, Mossa JS, Al-Sohaibani MO, et al (2008) Gastroprotective Effect of an Aqueous Suspension of Black Cumin Nigella sativa on Necrotizing Agents-Induced Gastric Injury in Experimental Animals. Saudi J Gastroenterol 14: 128–134
58. Mohamed N, Kumar MR et al (2011) A review on medicinal plants for peptic ulcer. Der Pharm Lett 3:180-186
59. Nadkarni's KM (1976) Indian Materia Medica. Popular Prakashan, Mumbai, India 1: 65–71.
60. Narra S, Nisha K S and Nagesh HS (2015) Evaluation of antiulcer activity of hydroalcoholic fruit pulp extract of Cucumis Sativus. Int J Pharm Sci Res 6: 4712-20.
61. Neelima N, Sudhakar M, Patil MB, and Lakshmi BVS (2012) Anti-ulcer activity and HPTLC analysis of Mangiferaindica leaves. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 1: 146–155.
62. Nunes PHM, Cavalcanti PMS, Galvao SMP, Martins MCC (2009) Antiulcerogenic activity of Combretum leprosum. Pharmazie 64:58–62.
63. Okokon JE, Antia BS, Umoh EE (2009) Antiulcerogenic activity of ethanolic leaf extract of lasianthera Africana. Afr J Tradit Compl Altern Med 6:150–154.
64. Okoli CO, Ezike AC, Akah PA. et al (2009) Studies on wound healing and antiulcer activities of extract of aerial parts of Phyllanthus niruri L. (Euphorbiaceae). Am J Pharmacol Toxicol 4: 118–126.
65. Omayma K H, Mohamed MY, and Elnaa M (2011) Possible protective effect of Gum Arabic on experimentally induced gastric ulcer in adult male albino rats: a histopathological and immunohistochemical study. EJH 34:546–553.
66. Panchal S, Goswami SS, Shan MB, and Santani DD (2008) Effect of Oryza sativa bran oil in various experimental ulcer models. Indian J Pharmacol 40: 146–148.
67. Pedernera AM, Guardia T, Calderon CG, Rotelli AE, de la Rocha NE, Genaro SD, Pelzer LE (2006) J Ethnopharmacol 105:415-20.
68. Raju D, Ilango K, Chitra V, and Ashish K (2009) Evaluation of anti-ulcer activity of methanolic extract of Terminalia chebula fruits in experimental rats. Int J Pharm Sci Res 1: 101–107.
69. Rao A, Kumar CV, Ayaza VM, Naiyera A (2010) Anti-ulcerogenic and ulcer healing effects of Zingiber officinale (L.) On experimental ulcer models: possible mechanism for the inhibition of acid formation. Int J Pharm Res 1: 75–85.
70. Rao NV, Venu K, Sowmya U, Reddy GJ, and Anirudan K (2011) Evaluation of antiulcer activity of Momordica charantia in rats. Int J Pharm Biol Sci 1:1–16.
71. Rasika D Bhalke, Mahendra A Giri, Subodh C Pal. Antiulcer Activity of Methanol Extract of Leaves of Bauhinia racemosa Linn (Leguminaceae). Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 4 (1): January 2011; Page 124-127.
72. Sa´nchez, LMP, Ruedas D, Gomez BC (2001) Gastric antiulcer effect of Rhizophora mangle L. J Ethnopharmacol 77: 1–3.
73. Sachin SS, Archana JR (2009) Antiulcer activity of methanol extract of erythrina indica lam. Leaves in experimental animals. Pharmacogn 1: 396–401.
74. Saha S. and Goswami G (2010) Study of anti-ulcer activity of Ficus religiosa L. on experimentally induced gastric ulcers in rats. Asian Pac J Trop Med 3:791–793.
75. Saleem TSM, Kumar RP, et al (2012) Anti-ulcerogenic effect of aqueous extract of Annona squamosa (Linn). Int J Res Phytochem Pharmacol 2: 157–159.
76. Samarjit Bose, Mrityunjoy Majumdar. Preclinical Evaluation of Antiulcer activity of hydroalcoholic extracts of Macrotyloma uniflorum seed. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(2):853-856.
77. Sanmugapriya E, Venkataraman S (2007) Antiulcerogenic potential of Strychnos potatorum Linn seeds on aspirin plus pyloric ligation-induced ulcers in experimental rats. Int J Phytother Phytopharmacol 14: 360–366.
78. Shanthi G, Vijay kanth G, Hitesh L, Ganesan,M (2010) Antiulcerogenic activities of the Methanolic extract of Cissus quadrangularis in wistar. The Inter J Toxicol 7: 1-5.
79. Singh S (1999) Evaluation of gastric anti-ulcer activity of fixed oil of Ocimumbasilicum Linn. and its possible mechanism of action. Indian J Exp Biol 36: 253–257.
80. Singh S and Majumdar DK (1999) Evaluation of the gastric antiulcer activity of fixed oil of Ocimum sanctum (Holy Basil). J Ethnopharmacol 65:13–19.
81. Sravan Prasad Macharla, K. Vijaya Bhasker, N.L Gowrishankar, J. Bhaskar, Ch. Dhanalakshmi. Antiulcer Activity of Leaf Extract of Lawsonia inermis in Albino rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 4(9): Sept. 2011; Page 1436-1438.
82. Srivastava S, Jaiswal J, Gautam H, Sharma S, and Rao CV (2013) Anti-ulcer activity of methanol extract of Hibiscus rosasinensis leaves. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 5: 829–830.
83. Subitha TK, Ayyanar M, Udayakumar M, and Sekar T (2011) Ethnomedicinal plants used by Kanitribals in Pechiparai forests of Southern Western Ghats, Tamilnadu, India. Int J Plant Sci 2: 349–354.
84. Sutar N, Garai R, Sharma US, Singh N, Roy SD (2011) Antiulcerogenic activity of Saussurea lappa root. Int J Pharm Life Sci 2: 516–520.
85. Thirunavukkarasu P, Ramkumar L, Ramanathan T (2009) Antiulcer activity of excoecaria agallocha bark on NSAID-induced gastric ulcer in albino rats. Glob. J Pharmacol 3:123–126.
86. Trinovita E , Saputri FC and Mun’im A (2018) Potential Gastroprotective Activity of Rice Bran (Oryza sativa L.) Extracted by Ionic Liquid-Microwave-Assisted Extraction against Ethanol-Induced Acute Gastric Ulcers in Rat Model Sci. Pharm 86: 35
87. Tripathi KD (2014) Essentials of medical pharmacology. Jaypee Brothers, New Delhi.
88. Tytgat G (2011) Etiopathogenetic principles and peptic ulcer disease classification. Digest. Dis 29: 454–458.
89. Uduak EU, Timbuak JA, Musa SA, Ikyembe DT, Abdurrashid S, and Hamman WO (2012) Ulceroprotective effect of methanol extract of Psidium guajava leaves on ethanol induced gastric ulcer in adult wistar rats. Asian J Med Sci 4: 75–78.
90. Umbare RP, Mate GS, Dongare SS. Anti-Ulcer Activity of Crude Alcoholic Extract of Rhizomes of Cissus repens Lan. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 4 (1): January 2011; Page 60-62
91. Van Zanten SJV, Dixon MF, Lee A (1999) The gastric transitional zones: Neglected links between gastroduodenal pathology and helicobacter ecology. Gastroenterology116:1217-1229.
92. Venkateswaramurthy N, Sambathkumar R, Vijayabaskaran M, Perumal P. Preparation and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Microspheres Containing Heparin for Antiulcer Therapy. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 4(2): February 2011; Page 268-270.
93. Verma VK, Singh N, Saxena P, and Singh R (2002) Anti-ulcer and anti-oxidant activity of Moringa oleifera (Lam) leaves against aspirin and ethanol induced gastric ulcer in rats. Int Res J Pharm 2: 46–57.
94. Vimala G and Shoba FG (2014) A Review on Antiulcer Activity of Few Indian Medicinal Plants. Int J Microbiol 1:1-14.
95. Vinothapooshan G and Sundar K (2010) Anti-ulcer activity of Mimosa pudica leaves against gastric ulcer in rats. RJPBCS 1: 606–616.
96. Viral Patel. Design, Development, Evaluation and Optimization of Antiulcer Delayed Release Tablets. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 6(6): June 2013; Page 669-684
97. Vyawahare NS, Deshmukh VV, Godkari MR, and Kagathara VG (2009) Plants with anti-ulcer activity. Phcog Rev 3:108–115.
98. Wahida B, Abdurrahman B, Nabil C (2007) Antiulcerogenic activity of Zizyphus lotus (L.) extracts. J Ethnopharmacol. 112: 228–231.