Surekha D. Shetty, Laxminarayana Bairy K., Ashwini Aithal P.
Surekha D. Shetty1, Laxminarayana Bairy K.2, Ashwini Aithal P.1*
1Department of Anatomy, Melaka Manipal Medical College (Manipal Campus), Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE) Manipal, Karnataka, India.
2Department of Pharmacology, RAK College of Medical Sciences, RAK Medical and Health Sciences University, Ras Al-Khaimah, UAE.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 8,
Year - 2022
Objective: Male gonadal toxicity is a common complication of modern anti-cancer treatments. Oxidative stress can lead to damage to the structure of testis and germ cells. Oxidative stress develops in association with an imbalance between reactive oxygen radicals and the antioxidant reserve system. Antioxidants are compound that protect cell against the damaging effects of reactive oxygen species. The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of sorafenib on antioxidative enzyme superoxide dismutase in testicular tissue of male Swiss albino mice. Materials and Methods: The animals were segregated into control, positive control, and treatment groups (n=6 in each group). Treatment group received 25, 50 and 100mg/kg body weight of sorafenib orally for seven consecutive days at intervals of 24 hours between two administrations. Positive control group received 100 mg/kg body weight of imatinib. The animals were sacrificed at the end of 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 7th and 10th week after the last exposure to sorafenib. The testis were removed, weighed, and processed for superoxide dismutase activity assay. Results: The superoxide dismutase activity was reduced significantly (P<0.05) during the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th and 7th week sampling time in mice treated with all the doses of sorafenib. Superoxide dismutase activity returned closer to control group in 10th week sampling time. Conclusion: The administration of sorafenib decreases the superoxide dismutase activity in testicular tissue. It lead to imbalance between antioxidant system and reactive oxygen species generation, which produced the oxidative stress.
Cite this article:
Surekha D. Shetty, Laxminarayana Bairy K., Ashwini Aithal P. Sorafenib Induced Oxidative Stress in Testicular Tissue of Male Swiss Albino Mice. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(8):3549-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00595
Surekha D. Shetty, Laxminarayana Bairy K., Ashwini Aithal P. Sorafenib Induced Oxidative Stress in Testicular Tissue of Male Swiss Albino Mice. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(8):3549-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00595 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-8-37
1. Howell SJ, Shalet SM. Spermatogenesis after cancer treatment, damage and recovery. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr 2005;(34):12–17.
2. Atessahin A, Sahna E, Turk G, Ceribasi AO, Yılmaz S, Yuce A, et al. Chemoprotective effect of melatonin against cisplatin-induced testicular toxicity in rats. J Pineal Res 2006; 41:21–27.
3. De Lamirande E, Jiang H, Zini A, Kodama H, Gagnon C. Reactive oxygen species and sperm physiology. Reviews of Reproduction 1997;2(1):48-54.
4. Fujii J, Iuchi Y, Matsuki S, and Ishii T. Cooperative function of antioxidant and redox systems against oxidative stress in male reproductive tissues. Asian J Androl. 2003;5(3):231-242.
5. Khaki A, Bayatmakoo R, Nouri M, Khaki AA. Remedial Effect of Cinnamon zeylanicum on serum anti-oxidants levels in male diabetic Rat. Life Sci J 2013;10(4):103-107.
6. Leon J, Acuna-Castroviejo D, Escames G, Tan DX, Reiter RJ. Melatonin mitigates mitochondrial malfunction. J. Pineal Res. 2005; 38(1):1-9.
7. Shanthakumar J, Tamilselvan T, Arunagiri P, Rajeshwaran K, Balamurugan E. Role of caffeine intake in lithium treated methylphenidate induced oxidative stress in an animal model of mania. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2013; 3(4):166-171.
8. Aitken RJ, De Iuliis GN. Origins and consequences of DNA damage in male germ cells. Reprod Biomed Online 2007; 14: 727‑33.
9. Kishore Reddy YV, Sreenivasula Reddy P, Shivalinga MR. Protective Effects of Testosterone on Cisplatin Induced Impairment of Spermatogenesis and Steroidogenesis in Rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2010; 3(2): 535-539.
10. Vaishali M. Antioxidants in Health and Diseases. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2014; 7(4):489-493.
11. AfyaaSabah Nasir, Haider Salih Jaffat. Effect of Royal Jelly against Carbon Tetrachloride (CCl4) Induced Toxicity in Male Rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(8): 2479-2486.
12. Naik GH, Priyadarsini KI, Bhagirathi RG, Mishra B, Mishra KP, Banavalikar MM, et al. In vitro antioxidant studies and free radical reactions of triphala, an ayurvedic formulation and its constituents. Phytother Res 2005; 19:582–586.
13. Gauri Karwani, Siddhraj S. Sisodia. Hepatoprotective activity of Chenopodium album Linn. in Ethanol induced Hepatotoxicity in Rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2015; 8(6):669-673.
14. Celino FT, Yamaguchi-Shimizu S, Miura C, Miura T. Proliferating spermatogonia are susceptible to reactive oxygen species attack in Japanese eel (Anguilla japonica). Biol Rep. 2012;87(70):1-9.
15. Rana I, Shivanandappa T. Mechanism of potentiation of endosulfan cytotoxicity by thiram in Ehrlich ascites tumor cells. Toxicol. In Vitro. 2010;24(1):40–44.
16. Boelsterli UA. Idiosyncratic drug hepatotoxicity revisited: new insights from mechanistic toxicology. Toxicol Mech Methods. 2003;13(1):3–20.
17. Desai KR, Moid N, Patel PB, Highland HN. Protective Efficacy of Allium Sativum on Delta Metharin Induced Toxicity in Reproductive tissues of Male Mice. IJPSR. 2015; 6(4):1711-1720.
18. Nasimi P, Tabandeh MR, Vahdati A, Khatamsaz S. Busulfan induces oxidative stress- and Bcl-2 family generelated apoptosis in epididymal sperm and testis of adult male mice. Physiol Pharmacol. 2015; 19:208-215.
19. Abarikwu SO, Otuechere CA, Ekor M, Monwuba K, Osobu D. Rutin ameliorates cyclophosphamide-induced reproductive toxicity in male rats. Toxicol Int. 2012;19(2):207-214.
20. Mahmoud AM, SoilmanHA, Abd El-Hameed AM, Eman S. Abdel-Reheim ES. Wheat germ oil attenuates cyclophosphamide induced testicular injury in rats. WJPHS. 2016;5(5)40-52.
21. Acharya UR, Mishra M, Patro J, Panda MK. Effect of vitamins C and E on spermatogenesis in mice exposed to cadmium. Reprod Toxicol. 2008; 25:84-88.
22. Madhu P, Reddy KP, Reddy PS. Role of melatonin in mitigating chemotherapy induced testicular dysfunction in Wistar rats. Drug Chem Toxicol. 2016;39(2):137-146.
23. Reddy KP, Madhu P, Reddy PS, Protective effects of resveratrol against cisplatin-induced testicular and epididymal toxicity in rats, Food Chem Toxicol. 2016; 91:65-72.
24. Agarwal A, Virk G, Ong C, Du Plessis SS. Effect of oxidative stress on male reproduction. World J Mens Health. 2014; 32:1-17.
25. Munesh Mani, Dr. Devendra S. Rathore. Pharmacological Evaluation of Anti-Fertility Effect of Stem Bark of Ailanthus altissima in Wistar Albino Rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(5): 497-500.
26. Narayana K, Al-Bader M, Mousa A, Khan KM. Molecular effects of chemotherapeutic drugs and their modulation by antioxidants in the testis. Eur J Pharmacol. 2012; 674:207-216.