Rina Oktavia, Trimumi Abidin, Harry Agusnar, Basri A. Gani
firstname.lastname@example.org and , email@example.com
Rina Oktavia1, Trimumi Abidin1*, Harry Agusnar2, Basri A. Gani3
1Department of Conservative Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Universitas Sumatera Utara, Medan-Indonesia.
2Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Science, Universitas Sumatera Utara, Medan Indonesia.
3Department of Oral Biology, Dentistry Faculty, Universitas Syiah Kuala, Darussalam, Banda Aceh, Aceh, Indonesia.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 8,
Year - 2022
Dentine hypersensitivity is a short and sharp pain from exposed dentine in response to thermal changes, tactile stimulation, osmotic and chemical stimulation. Chitosan is reportedly capable of closing the dentinal tubules to prevent hypersensitivity resulting from pain stimulation. The study aimed to evaluate the ability of nano chitosan silver nitrate in the desensitization of dentinal tubular hypersensitivity. A total of 24 odontectomy third molars were divided into three groups: control, nano chitosan-silver nitrate, and varnish gel (5% sodium fluoride -tricalcium phosphate). Next, the dentinal tubules are examined by SEM, and EDS analyzes the chemical elements. The three test materials' ionic properties were reviewed with a conductivity meter, while the viscosity used a viscometer. Chitosan-silver nitrate gel showed a better ability to close dentine tubules than varnish gel at intervals of 24 and 48 hours (p>0.05). Chitosan can increase calcium compounds in closing dentine tubules than varnish gel, particularly at 48 hours. Furthermore, both chitosan's conductivity and oxygen solubility values were higher than the varnish gel.: Chitosan has a high intensity in closing the dentinal tubules in in-vitro studies of dentine hypersensitivity, which correlates with increased calcium on dentine's surface by showing better solubility ionic conductivity and oxygen dissolves.
Cite this article:
Rina Oktavia, Trimumi Abidin, Harry Agusnar, Basri A. Gani. The Role of Chitosan-Silver Nitrate Nano Gel to improve the Desensitization of Dentine Hypersensitivity. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(8):3511-7. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00589
Rina Oktavia, Trimumi Abidin, Harry Agusnar, Basri A. Gani. The Role of Chitosan-Silver Nitrate Nano Gel to improve the Desensitization of Dentine Hypersensitivity. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(8):3511-7. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00589 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-8-31
1. Davari A, Ataei E, Assarzadeh H. Dentin hypersensitivity: etiology, diagnosis and treatment; a literature review. Journal of Dentistry. 2013;14(3):136.
2. Borges A, Barcellos D, Gomes C. Dentin hypersensitivity-etiology, treatment possibilities and other related factors: a literature review. World Journal of Dentistry. 2012;3(1):60-67. doi.org/10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1129
3. West N, Lussi A, Seong J, Hellwig E. Dentin hypersensitivity: pain mechanisms and aetiology of exposed cervical dentin. Clinical Oral Investigations. 2013;17(1):9-19. doi.org/10.1007%2Fs00784-012-0887-x
4. de Oliveira da Rosa WL, Lund RG, Piva E, da Silva AF. The effectiveness of current dentin desensitizing agents used to treat dental hypersensitivity: A systematic review. Quintessence International. 2013;44(7). doi.org/10.3290/j.qi.a29610
5. Salve PS. Effect of excipients and processing parameters on floating characteristics of hydrodynamically balanced system for diltiazem hydrochloride. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2011;1(4):97-99.
6. Gentile LC, Greghi SLA. Clinical evaluation of dentin hypersensitivity treatment with the low intensity Gallium-Aluminum-Arsenide laser-AsGaAl. Journal of Applied Oral Science. 2004;12(4):267-72. doi.org/10.1590/s1678-77572004000400003
7. Miglani S, Aggarwal V, Ahuja B. Dentin hypersensitivity: Recent trends in management. Journal of Conservative Dentistry: JCD. 2010;13(4):218. doi.org/10.4103/0972-0707.73385
8. Cunha-Cruz J, Wataha JC, Zhou L, Manning W, Trantow M, Bettendorf MM, Heaton LJ, Berg J. Treating dentin hypersensitivity: therapeutic choices made by dentists of the northwest Precedent network. Journal of the American Dental Association (1939). 2010;141(9):1097-105. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2010.0340
9. Mokshi R. Jain, Gheena. S. Dentin Comparison in Primary and Permanent Molars under Compound Light Microscopy: A Study. Research Journal pf Pharmacy and Technology. 2015;8(10): 369-1373. doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2015.00245.0
10. Kundapur PP, Bhat K, Bhat SG. Clinical and scanning electron microscopic evaluation of various concentrations of potassium nitrate as a desensitizing agent. Smile Dental Journal 2011;6(1):28-35.
11. Parolia A, Kundabala M, Mohan M. Management of dentinal hypersensitivity: a review. Journal of the California Dental Association. 2011;39(3):167-79.
12. Honary S, Ghajar K, Khazaeli P, Shalchian P. Preparation, characterization and antibacterial properties of silver-chitosan nanocomposites using different molecular weight grades of chitosan. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2011;10(1). doi.org/10.4314/tjpr.v10i1.66543
13. Rouhani A, Ghoddusi J, Naghavi N, Al-Lawati G. Scanning electron microscopic evaluation of dentinal tubule penetration of Epiphany in severely curved root canals. European Journal of Dentistry. 2013;7(4):423.
14. Armstead MY, Bitzer-Creathers L, Wilson M. The effects of elevated specific conductivity on the chronic toxicity of mining influenced streams using Ceriodaphnia dubia. PloS one. 2016;11(11):e0165683. doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0165683
15. Govindaraj S, Daniel MJ, Vasudevan SS, Kumaran JV. Changes in salivary flow rate, pH, and viscosity among working men and women. Dentistry and Medical Research 2019;7(2):56.
16. Tosun S, Culha E, Aydin U, Ozsevik AS. The combined occluding effect of sodium fluoride varnish and Nd: YAG laser irradiation on dentinal tubules—A CLSM and SEM study. Scanning. 2016;38(6):619-24. doi.org/10.1002/sca.21309
17. Camilotti V, Zilly J, Busato PdMR, Nassar CA, Nassar PO. Desensitizing treatments for dentin hypersensitivity: a randomized, split-mouth clinical trial. Brazilian Oral Research 2012;26(3):263-68. doi.org/10.1590/s1806-83242012000300013
18. Makkar S, Goyal M, Kaushal A, Hegde V. Effect of desensitizing treatments on bond strength of resin composites to dentin–an in vitro study. Journal of Conservative Dentistry: JCD. 2014;17(5):458. doi.org/10.4103/0972-0707.139840
19. Anitha T, Sathishkumar K. Comparative Study of Adsorption for Chitosan, Sand and Chitosan Coated Sand. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013; 3 (4): 185-188.
20. Yadav BK, Jain A, Rai A, Jain M. Dentine hypersensitivity: a review of its management strategies. Journal of International Oral Health. 2015;7(10):137. doi.org/10.1155/2013/690918
21. Akmaz S, Dilaver Adıgüzel E, Yasar M, Erguven O. The effect of Ag content of the chitosan-silver nanoparticle composite material on the structure and antibacterial activity. Advances in Materials Science and Engineering. 2013;2013. doi.org/10.1155/2013/690918
22. Chapman NR, Chapman NR. Determining the efficacy of potassium oxalate containing strips to reduce dentinal fluid. International Dental Journal. 2013;55:261-67. doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2020.103437
23. Sushma Singh, Abhisek Pal, Sangeeta Mohanty. Nano Structure of Hydroxyapatite and its modern approach in Pharmaceutical Science. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(3): 1463-1472. doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00243.9
24. Kumari DG, Raksha G, Deepak K, Anjana G, Mary CS. A Review on Chitosan Nanoparticle as a Drug delivery system. Asian Journal of Pharmceutical Research. 2020; 10(4):299-306. doi.org/10.5958/2231-5691.2020.00051.9
25. Ponty Romaida Hutapea, Abidin T, Harry Agusnar, Effect and Characterization of Nanoparticle High Molecule Chitosan In Toothpaste Dentinal Tubules Occlusion ( In Vitro) Proceeding. 2015;63(Dies Natalis USU 63):72-8.
26. Berkathullah M, Farook MS, Mahmoud O. The effectiveness of remineralizing agents on dentinal permeability. BioMed Research International. 2018;2018. doi.org/10.1155/2018/4072815
27. AlAmoudi SA, Pani SC, AlOmari M. The effect of the addition of tricalcium phosphate to 5% sodium fluoride varnishes on the microhardness of enamel of primary teeth. International Journal of Dentistry. 2013;2013. doi.org/10.1155/2013/486358
28. Arrais CAG, Chan DCN, Giannini M. Effects of desensitizing agents on dentinal tubule occlusion. Journal of Applied Oral Science. 2004;12(2):144-48. doi.org/10.1590/s1678-77572004000200012
29. Abou Neel EA, Aljabo A, Strange A, et al. demineralization–remineralization dynamics in teeth and bone. International Journal of Nanomedicine. 2016;11:4743. doi.org/10.2147%2FIJN.S107624
30. Jusman Y, Ng SC, Abu Osman NA. Investigation of CPD and HMDS sample preparation techniques for cervical cells in developing computer-aided screening system based on FE-SEM/EDX. The Scientific World Journal. 2014;2014. doi.org/10.1155/2014/289817
31. Willershausen I, Schulte D, Azaripour A, et al. Penetration potential of a silver diamine fluoride solution on dentin surfaces. An ex vivo study. Clinical Laboratory 2015;61(11):1695-701. doi.org/10.7754/clin.lab.2015.150401
32. Karlinsey RL, Mackey AC, Schwandt CS. Effects on dentin treated with eluted multi-mineral varnish in vitro. The Open Dentistry Journal. 2012;6:157. doi.org/10.2174%2F1874210601206010157
33. Liu H, Hu Z, Zhang J, et al. Optimizations on supply and distribution of dissolved oxygen in constructed wetlands: a review. Bioresource Technology. 2016;214:797-805. doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2016.05.003
34. Zheng Y, Wang J, Yu B, et al. A review of high temperature co-electrolysis of H2O and CO2 to produce sustainable fuels using solid oxide electrolysis cells (SOECs): advanced materials and technology. Chemical Society Reviews. 2017;46(5):1427-63.
35. Rajarajan G, Pavithra PS, Subbarao C. Effect of Different Irrigating Solutions in the Removal of Smear Layer from the Root Canal. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(3): 1115-1118. doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00183.5
36. Tekile A, Kim I, Lee J-Y, et al. Extent and persistence of dissolved oxygen enhancement using nanobubbles. Environmental Engineering Research. 2016;21(4):427-35. doi.org/10.4491/eer.2016.028
37. Kaur J, Debnath J. Autophagy at the crossroads of catabolism and anabolism. Nature reviews Molecular Cell Biology. 2015;16(8):461-72. doi.org/10.1038/nrm4024
38. Rusydi AF. Correlation between conductivity and total dissolved solid in various type of water: A review. Paper presented at: IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 2018. 118 012019.
39. Al- Kazzaz AGM. Effect both of Kinetin and NPKZn Fertilizer on Mitigating The Adverse effect of Sodium Chloride on sweet pepper plant Capsicum annuum L. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technologi. 2019;12(3):1259-1264. doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00210.5
40. BA. Bhairav, Bachhav JK, Saudagar RB. Review on Solubility Enhancement Techniques. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2016; 6(3): 147-152. doi.org/10.5958/2231-5691.2016.00025.3
41. Allahkarami E, Igder A, Fazlavi A, Rezai B. Prediction of Co (II) and Ni (II) ions removal from wastewater using artificial neural network and multiple regression models. Physicochemical Problems of Mineral Processing. 2017;53. doi.org/10.5277/ppmp170233
42. Pashley DH. How can sensitive dentine become hypersensitive and can it be reversed? Journal of Dentistry. 2013;41:S49-S55. doi.org/10.1016%2FS0300-5712(13)70006-X