Shaveta Sharma, Vimal Arora
email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
Shaveta Sharma1, Vimal Arora2*
1Chandigarh College of Pharmacy, CGC Campus, Landran, Mohali, Punjab (India) -140307.
2University Institute of Pharma Sciences, Chandigarh University, NH-95, Chandigarh Ludhiana Highway, Mohali, Punjab (India) -140413.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 8,
Year - 2022
Plants bioactive have been found to be useful in therapeutic management of various diseases such as Cancer, Inflammation and diabetes. Analysis part becomes difficult when use their combination Analysis forms essential exercise before any formulation development. Various analytical techniques such as Chromatographic, Electrochemical and Spectrophotometric have been applied in the analysis of pharmaceuticals. However chromatographic methods are time consuming processes for separation of compounds and costly to these as require high quantity of solvent. Moreover, electrochemical methods are sensitive to temperature. Herein simple, rapid, economical efficient method has been reported for simultaneous estimation of curcumin and quercetin. This simultaneous equation method or Vierordt’s method involves use of methanol as solvent and further dilutions were made using phosphate buffer pH6.8 and were measured at two wavelengths 324nm and 426nm. The linearity was noted in concentration range of 2-12µg/ml for both the bioactives. Calibration curves of both were found to be linear with regression coefficient (r2) values as 0.991 for Quercetin and 0.999 for Curcumin. Linearity, accuracy and precision was validated for this method as per ICH guidelines. The noted values of accuracy, precision and other statistical analysis were found to be in good accordance with the prescribed values. UV-Spectrophotometric method was proposed and validated for simultaneous quantification of both Curcumin and Quercetin throughout formulation progress presently initiated in our laboratories. The proposed analytical method is easy, economical and experimentally prevents loss of time.
Cite this article:
Shaveta Sharma, Vimal Arora. Simultaneous Spectrophotometric Estimation of Curcumin and Quercetin in mixture. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(8):3502-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00587
Shaveta Sharma, Vimal Arora. Simultaneous Spectrophotometric Estimation of Curcumin and Quercetin in mixture. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(8):3502-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00587 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-8-29
1. Patel R, Singh SK, Singh S. Shethh N.R, Gendle R Development and Characterization of Curcumin Loaded Transfersome for Transdermal Delivery. Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Research. 2009;1(4):71-80.
2. Commandeur J. N. M, Vermeulen N.P. Cytotoxicity and cytoprotective activities of natural compounds. The case of curcumin. Molecular and Computational toxicology, Medicinal Chemistry. 1996; 26(7): 667-680. doi.org/ 10.3109/00498259609046741.
3. Holder G. M,. Plummer J. L, Ryan A.J. The metabolism and excretion of curcumin (1,7-bis-(4-hydroxy-3-methoxyphenyl)-1,6-heptadiene-3,5-dione) in the rat. Xenobiotica.1978; 8 (12): 761-8. doi.org/ 10.3109/00498257809069589.
4. Delhiraj N, Anbazhagan S. Validated chromatographical methods for the simultaneous estimation of antihypertensive drugs in multicomponent formulations. Der Pharma Chemica. 2012;4(6): 2416-2421.
5. Chandratrey A, Sharma R Simultaneous spectrophotometric estimation and validation of three component tablet formulation containing paracetamol, nimesulide and tizanidine. Indian Journal of Chemical Technology.2010;17(3):229-232
6. Younis S.E., El-Nahass S.A., Soliman S.A .Simultaneous Micro-determination of Eplerenone and Torsemide in their Combined Tablets using HPTLC-Dual Wavelength Spectrodensitometric and Spectrophotometric Methods, Microchemical Journal. 2020;156: 104861 doi.org/10.1016/j.microc.2020.104861.
7. Santhi N, Rajendran S.S, Kumar Nallasivan P et al. Simultaneous Estimation of Cefixime and Ofloxacin in Bulk and Tablet Dosage Form. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2011;1(3):50-52
8. Aboul Kher A,, Saleh Hanaa, Heenawee Magda EI, Spectrophotometric estimation of Lisinopril and Cefiximein bulk and dosage forms., Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2012; 2(3):90-97
9. Asma Afroz, Tasnuva Haque Uddin Taluqdar M.M, Ashraful S.M. Spectrophotometric Estimation of Rosuvastatin Calcium and Glimepiride in Tablet Dosage Form Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis.2011;1(4):74-78.
10. Rawat S, Gupta. A, Spectrophotometric Estimation of Nimesulide and Diclofenac Sodium in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2011;1(4):85-87 .
11. Sonali D. Rathod, P.M. Patil, Jadhav S. B et al. UV Spectrophotometric Simultaneous determination of Metformine Hydrochloride and Pioglitazine in combined dosage forms Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2012; 2(1):5-9.
12. Jumle R. S., Mundhey A.S., Wate S.P .Dangare S.S, Ramteke U D . UV- Spectrophotometric Method Development and Validation for Estimation of Tizanidine and Aceclofenac in Tablet Formulation. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2012; 2(4):101-103.
13. Jain M, Yogesh A, Chavhan R, Bari M. UV Spectrophotometric Methods for Simultaneous Estimation of Levosulpiride and Esomeprazole in Capsule Dosage Form. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2012; 2(4):106-109
14. Daharwal S. J. Development and validation of UV Spectrophotometric Methods for Simultaneous Estimation of Diazepam and Propranolol in Bulk drug and its formulation. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2013;3(1):20-23
15. Gupta S. K, Kumar Babita, Sharma P K Development and validation of a Spectrophometric method for estimation of Triamcinolone in solid dosage form. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2013; 3(2):42-43
16. Santhi N, Deepthi CH. Rajendran SS. Spectrophotometric Estimation of Ziprasidone in Bulk and In Pharmaceutical Formulations. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2011; 1(1): 8-9
17. Goto T, Yoshida Y, Kiso M .et al Simultaneous analysis of individual catechins and caffeine in green tea. Journal of Chromatography A. 1996; 749(1-2): 295-299. doi.org/10.1016/0021-9673(96)00456-6
18. Rao T. N. Validation of Analytical Methods. Calibration and Validation of Analytical Methods - A Sampling of Current Approaches. 2018.doi.org/ 10.5772/intechopen.72087