Archana Rajmane, Rahul Trivedi, Tanaji Nandgude
email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Archana Rajmane1, Rahul Trivedi2, Tanaji Nandgude3
1Research Scholar, B. R. Nahata College of Pharmacy, Mandsaur University, Mandsaur, 458001, MP, India.
2Associate Professor, B. R. Nahata College of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacology, Mandsaur University, Mandsaur, MP, India.
3Associate Professor, Dr. D. Y. Patil Institute of Pharmaceutical Science and Research, Pimpri, Pune, 411018, Maharashtra, India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 7,
Year - 2022
Oral route has been the most suitable and accepted route of drug delivery. But oral control release dosage forms face several physiological restrictions like inability to retain and locate the controlled drug delivery system within the targeted region of the gastrointestinal tract (GIT) due to fluctuation in gastric emptying. This results in non-uniform absorption pattern, inadequate medication release and shorter residence time of the dosage form in the stomach. Gastro retentive drug delivery system (GRDDS) is novel drug delivery systems which are more advantages due to its ability of prolonged retaining ability in the stomach and thereby increase gastric residence time of drugs and also increase bioavailability of drugs. This present review covers the advantages, disadvantages, factors affecting on GRDDS, Recent approaches, floating and non-floating drug delivery system and also highlights the other effective approaches who increases gastric residence time of drug such as bio-adhesive systems, floating systems (low density systems), non-floating systems (high density systems) , floating muco-adhesive drug delivery system, magnetic systems, swelling systems, un-foldable and expandable systems, raft forming systems and super porous systems, biodegradable hydro-gel systems. Marketed preparation and some patents of gastro-retentive drug delivery system, excipient used in formulation of GRDDS, recent work done on GRDDS.
Cite this article:
Archana Rajmane, Rahul Trivedi, Tanaji Nandgude. A Novel approach to Enhance Gastric Retention for better Therapeutic Activity: Gastro Retentive Drug Delivery System. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(7):3324-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00556
Archana Rajmane, Rahul Trivedi, Tanaji Nandgude. A Novel approach to Enhance Gastric Retention for better Therapeutic Activity: Gastro Retentive Drug Delivery System. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(7):3324-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00556 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-7-78
1. Sarmah J, Choudhury A. Formulation and Evaluation of Gastro Retentive Floating Tablets of Ritonavir. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology2020; 13(9):4099-4104. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00724.6
2. Pant S et.al. A Review on Gastroretentive Drug Delivery System. International Journal of Research and Development in Pharmacy and Life Science. 2016 July;5(4):2178-2187.
3. Nayak AK , Maji R, Das B. Gastro Retentive Drug Delivery System: A Review. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2010; 3(1):1-10.
4. Lahoti SR et.al. An Overview of Gastroretentive Drug Delivery System. Research, International Research Journal of Pharmacy. 2011Nov; 2(11):50-57.
6. Syed E et.al. Preparation and Evaluation of Floating Microspheres of Ritonavir. Research & Reviews in Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2013;5(7): 24-34.
7. Dhamane S, Bandgar L, Kulkarni A. Formulation and Evaluation of Novel Drug Delivery System for Treatment of Peptic Ulcer. International journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Research 2017April;9(1):121-140.
8. Choudhari KPR Chaitanya CKL. Recent Research on Floating Drug Delivery Systems-A Review. Journal of Global Trends in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014March; 5 (1): 1361-1373.
9. Nandgude TD, Ganapathy RS. Development and Evaluation of Colon Targeted Microencapsulated Microspheres of Capecitabine. Inventi Impact: Pharm Tech. 2017;(2):72- 78.
10. Mehta M, et.al. Gastro retentive drug delivery systems: An overview. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018May;11(5): 2157-2160. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00398.0
11. Marinaganti RK et.al. Comprehensive Review on Gastro Retentive Drug Delivery System. Acta Chimica and Pharmaceutica Indica 2013;3(2): 149-164.
12. Biradar V et.al. In vitro Evaluation of Gastro Retentive Drug Delivery System of Lansoprazole. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019;12(8):3649-3653.
13. Pawar AY, Jadhav KR, Nikam MN. A Raft Forming System: An Novel Approach for Gastroretentive . International Journal of Pure and Applied Bioscience. 2015August; 3 (4):178-192 .
14. Mehetre GD, Dubey A. Formulation-Development and In-Vitro-In Vivo Evaluation of Gastroretentive Floating Tablet Incorporating Clarithromycin Journal of Drug Delivery & Therapeutics. 2019 September; 9(5):67-81. DOI: 10.22270/jddt.v9i5.3559
15. Singh R et. al. Gastroretentive drug delivery systems:A Review. African journal of pharmacy and pharmacology. 2015;9(12): 405-417.
16. Charagonda S et.al. Formulation and Development of Famotidine Floating Microsponge. International Research Journal of Pharmacy 2016;4(7):62-67.
17. Loganathan V et.al. Formulation Development and evaluation of ofloxacin containing Floating Drug Delivery System. Asian journal of Pharmaceutics. 2006January; 1(1): 22-24.
18. Gopal SVet.al. Gastroretentive Drug Delivery System: A Systematic Review. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2020;10(4):278-284. DOI: 10.5958/2231-5713.2020.00046.X
19. Ashwarya M. et.al. Floating Microspheres: A Promising Drug Delivery. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Research 2017; 11 (1): 375-388.
20. Gadge GG et.al. Gastro Retentive Floating Drug Delivery System: An Overveiw. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology 2020;12 (3) :213-226. DOI: 10.5958/09754377.2020. 00036.1
21. Ayalasomayajula LU et.al. Review on Non Effervescent Gastro Retentive Drug Delivery Systems-Microballons. Asian Journal Pharmaceutical Research 2020;10(4):312-318. DOI: 10.5958/2231-5691.2020.00053.2
22. Birajdar SM et.al. Development And Evaluation Of Floating-Mucoadhesive Dipyridamole Tablet. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Health Science;2017;4(3):78-89.
23. Wagh PK, Ahirrao SP, Kshirsagar SJ. Novel Mucoadhesive Gastro Retentive Drug Delivery System of Ranitidine Hydrochloride. Asian Journals of Pharmaceutical Research. Pharm. 2019;9(2):80-86. DOI: 10.5958/2231-5691.2019.00013.3
24. Khalid El-Say et.al. Optimized Gastroretentive Floating Carvedilol Tablets: An Approach For Prolonged Gastric Residence Time and Enhanced Absorption . Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science 2016; June6(06): 012-019. DOI: 10.7324 /JAPS.2016. 60603
25. Mandal UK et.al. Gastro-retentive drug delivery systems and there in vivo success: A recent update Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences.2016 October;11(5): 575-584. DOI: 10.1016/ j.ajps.2016.04.007
26. Kothari A et.al. Gastro Retentive Drug Delivery System and its Approaches. Review, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Development 2013;4(12):7-18.
27. Khosro A et.al. Gastro Retentive Drug Delivery System: A Review.Journal of Reports in Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2013;2(2):190-204.
28. Jameel N et.al. Formulation And Evaluation of Floating Oral In-Situ Gel of Ranitidine Hydrochloride. International Journal of Research In Pharmacy And Chemistry. 2016;6(1):75-81.
29. Hemali S, Patel VA. Preparation and Evaluation of Raft Forming Chewable Tablets of Ranitidine Hydrochloride. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research & Allied Sciences. 2016;5(3):290-296.
30. Baladaniya M et.al. Gastro Retentive In Situ Floating Gel Formulation – An overview. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Form and Technology. 2014;6(2):140-145.
31. Mishra R, Nandgude TD, Suradkar P. Overview on Trends in Development of Gastroretentive Drug Delivery System, Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019;12(11):40-52.
32. Mishra, Nandgude TD, Suradkar P. Statistical design and optimization of ketorolac tromethamine gastroretentive multiparticulate delivery system. International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2019;10(3):2399-2408.
33. Shinkar DM, et.al. Recent Approaches in Floating Drug Delivery System. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Technology. 2016;6 (3):141-147.
34. Aslam R et.al. Techniques and Polymers Used To Design Gastroretentive Drug Delivery Systems – A Review. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014;3(12):97-110.
35. Sahu VK et.al. Formulation and Evaluation of Floating-Mucoadhesive Microspheres lf Novel Natural Polysaccharide for Site Specific Delivery of Ranitidine Hydrochloride. International Journal of Applied Pharmaceutics. 2017; (9): 3- 15
36. Adliani N, Hakim B, Karsono. Preparation and Evaluation of Floating-Mucoadhesive Alginate Beads as Gastroretentive Drug Delivery System of Antacids. International Journal of PharmTech Research. 2016; 9(5):212-222,
37. Abouelatta SM et.al. Gastroretentive raft liquid delivery system as a new approach to release extension for carrier-mediated drugs. US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health.2018;25 (1):1161-1174
38. Kaushik K et.al. Development and Characterization of Floating Alginate Beads for Gastroretentive Drug Delivery System. Acta Pharmaceutica Science 2011;(53): 551-562.
39. Bhowmik D, et.al. Gastro Retentive Drug Delivery Systems-a Novel Approaches of Controlled Drug Delivery Systems. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2018;10(2): 145-156.
40. Kamila MM et al. Multiunit Floating Drug Delivery System of Rosiglitazone Maleate,Development, Characterization, Statistical Optimization of Drug Release and In Vivo Evaluation. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2009;10(3): 887–899. DOI: 10.1208/s12249-009-9276-4
41. Marella R et.al. Formulation and evaluation of Floating Drug delivery system of Amoxicillin Trihydrate. International Research Journal of Pharmacy.2012;3(8) 233-237.
42. Nahas HM, Hosny KM. Chitosan based Floating Microspheres of Trimetazidine Dihydrochloride Preparation and In vitro Characterization, International Journal of pharmaceutical Sciences. 2013;393-403.
43. Santhali AH et.al. Formulation and characterization of floating microspheres of perindopril erbumine, Journal of Pharmacy Research. 2012;5(4):1862-1871.