Ziprasidone hydrochloride monohydrate is an atypical antipsychotic drug which acts by antagonizing the dopamine type 2 (D2) and serotonin type 2 (5HT2A) receptors. It is used for the treatment of schizophrenia as well as manic and bipolar disorders. Two new spectrophotometric methods have been developed for the determination of Ziprasidone capsules in acetate buffer (pH 4.0) (?max 315.00 nm) (Method I) and phosphate buffer (pH 5.0) (?max 315.40 nm) (Method II) respectively and the methods were validated. Beer-Lambert’s law was obeyed over the concentration range 0.5-30 µg/mL and 1-120 µg/mL in acetate buffer and phosphate buffer respectively. The proposed methods were applied to the Ziprasidone marketed formulations and the methods were found to be simple, precise and accurate.
Cite this article:
Mukthinuthalapati Mathrusri Annapurna, Volety Malavika. New spectrophotometric methods for the estimation of Ziprasidone - An Antipsychotic drug. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(7):3209-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00538
Mukthinuthalapati Mathrusri Annapurna, Volety Malavika. New spectrophotometric methods for the estimation of Ziprasidone - An Antipsychotic drug. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(7):3209-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00538 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-7-60
1. Mattei C, Rapagnani MP and Stahl SM. Ziprasidone Hydrochloride: what role in the management of schizophrenia? J Cent Nerv Syst Dis. 2011; 3: 1-16.
2. Kutcher S, Brooks SJ, Gardner DM, Honer B, Kopala L, Labelle A, Lalonde P, Malla A, Milliken H, Soni J and Williams R. Expert Canadian consensus suggestions on the rational, clinical use of ziprasidone in the treatment of schizophrenia and related psychotic disorders. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2005; 1(2): 89-108.
3. Walash MI, Belal F, El-Enany, Manal Eid and Rania N El-Shaheny. Stability-indicating spectrofluorimetric method for the assay of Ziprasidone in capsules. Journal of Fluorescence, 2011; 21: 1659-1667.
4. Anand Kumar Y, Anitha M, Hemanth A and Srinivas S. Development of rapid UV spectrophotometric method for the estimation of Ziprasidone Hydrochloride in bulk and formulations. Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures. 2010; 5(1): 275-279.
5. Mahale MV, Todkari VB, Kangane MR, Mohite SK, Magdum CS and Hembade MJ. U.V. spectrophotometric method development for quantitative estimation of Ziprasidone hydrochloride. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Archive. 2013; 2(5): 92-94.
6. Choudhary PK, Sharma PK, Mathur AK, Ramnani P and Jain P. Development and validation of spectrophotometric method for the estimation of Ziprasidone HCl. Oriental Journal of Chemistry, 2005; 20(1).
7. Chauhan CS and Choudhury PK. UV Spectrophotometric determination of Ziprasidone Hydrochloride in pure and pharmaceutical formulation. Asian Journal of Chemistry. 2007; 19(1): 819-820.
8. Srinubabu G, Sudha Rani B and Seshagiri Rao JVLN. Spectrophotometric determination of Ziprasidone in pharmaceutical formulation, Journal of Chemistry. 2006; 3(1): 9-12.
9. Vijayalakshmi R, Kalyani K, Padma J, Pushpamadhavi M and Dhanaraju MD. Simple spectrophotometric methods for the determination of ziprasidone hydrochloride in pharmaceuticals using Folin-Ciocalteau and potassium ferricyanide, Oriental Journal of Chemistry. 2010: 26(2): 713-715.
10. Vijayalakshmi R, Satis Chandra B, Sravya K, Jahnavi N and Dhanaraju MD. Spectrophotometric determination of Ziprasidone hydrochloride in pharmaceutical formulations. Oriental Journal of Chemistry. 2009; 25(4): 1097-1099.
11. Arun Shirwaikar, Sarala Devi, Premalatha K, Muhammed Maqbool and Sreejith KR. Development and validation of spectrophotometric method for analysis of Ziprasidone HCl. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2012; 5(9): 1229-1234.
12. Annapurna V, Jyothi G and Sailaja BBV. Spectrophotometric determination of Ziparsidone Hydrochloride using N-Bromo succinimide and Metol. Asian Journal of Chemistry. 2009; 21(8): 5901-5907.
13. Sreelakshmi A, Rao GD, and Babu GS. Determination of Ziprasidone in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Journal of Ultra Chemistry. 2018; 6(1): 118-122.
14. Usha Rani G, Chandrasekhar B and D. Devanna. Colorimetric determination of Ziprasidone hydrochloride in pharmaceutical formulations. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 2011; 3(5): 596-602.
15. Sreelakshmi A, Devala Rao G, Sudhakara and Saibabu G. Visible spectrophotometric methods for estimation of Ziprasidone in pharmaceutical dosage forms. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2010; 3(3): 154-156.
16. Santhi Ch. Deepthi N, Rajendran SS, Gananadhamu S, Devala Rao G and Sai Lohit. Spectrophotometric estimation of Ziprasidone in bulk and in pharmaceutical formulations. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2011; 1(1): 8-9.
17. Sreelakshmi A, Rao GD, and Babu GS. Novel visible spectrophotometric methods for estimation of Ziprasidone in pharmaceutical formulations. Journal of Ultra Chemistry. 2018; 6(2): 123-128.
18. Sreelakshmi A, Babu GS, and Rao GD. New visible spectrophotometric methods for estimation of Ziprasidone in pharmaceutical formulations. Journal of Ultra Chemistry. 2018; 5(3): 422-426.
19. ICH Q2 (R1) Validation of analytical procedures: Text and Methodology: November 2005.