Bayu Eko Prasetyo, Lia Laila, T. Ismanelly Hanum
Bayu Eko Prasetyo1,2, Lia Laila1, T. Ismanelly Hanum1,2
1Faculty of Pharmacy, Universitas Sumatera Utara, Medan, 20155, Indonesia.
2Nanomedicine Center of Innovation, Universitas Sumatera Utara, Medan, 20155, Indonesia.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 7,
Year - 2022
Curcuma mangga Val. is one of the plants which traditionally has been known to have many pharmacological activities. The aim of this study was to develop a topical nanoemulgel dosage form using Curcuma mangga Val. ethanol extract. The preparation was started with the nanoemulsion formulation using Tween 80 as surfactant, also ethanol and propylene glycol as co-surfactant. Castor oil and MCT oil were used as the oil phase and Carbopol 940(0.5 and 1.5%) were used as gelling agent to produce nanoemulgel. The organoleptic test, pH determination, type of emulsion, homogeneity test, viscosity, particle size distribution of the nanoemulgel were evaluated to determine the nanoemulgel physical characterization. The accelerated stability test was conducted by centrifugation, heating cooling and shaking tests for the nanoemulgel. The result showed that the Curcuma mangga Val. ethanol extract was successfully loaded in the nanoemulgel formulation with pH 5.38-5.77, showed oil in water emulsion type, homogenous, viscosity in the range of 19.73–31.80 cps and particle size distribution below than 50 nm. The nanoemulgels demonstrated stable condition after accelerated stability test and storage at room temperature for 1 month. It is concluded that Curcuma mangga Val. ethanol extract was appropriate to be formulated in nanoemulgel as topical dosage form.
Cite this article:
Bayu Eko Prasetyo, Lia Laila, T. Ismanelly Hanum. Physical Characterization of Nanoemulgel containing Ethanol Extract of Curcuma mangga Val. using Carbopol 940 as Gelling agent. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(7):3020-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00504
Bayu Eko Prasetyo, Lia Laila, T. Ismanelly Hanum. Physical Characterization of Nanoemulgel containing Ethanol Extract of Curcuma mangga Val. using Carbopol 940 as Gelling agent. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(7):3020-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00504 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-7-26
1. Jambunathan S. Dharani B. Palghat RP. Sumathi S. Cytotoxic activity of the methanolic extract of leaves and rhizomes of Curcuma amada Roxb against breast cancer cell lines. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine 2014; 7(Suppl 1): 405-409. doi.org/10.1016/S1995-7645(14)60266-2
2. Kamazeri T. Othman AS. Muhammad T. Deny S. Haitham Q. Antimicrobial activity and essential oils of Curcuma aeruginosa, Curcuma mangga, and Zingiber cassumunar from Malaysia. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine 2012; 5(3): 202-209. doi.org/10.1016/S1995-7645(12)60025-X
3. Tedjo A. Dondin S. Latifah KD. Chemoprevention activity of temu mangga extracts. Makara of Health Series 2005; 9(2): 57-62. https://doi/org/10.7454/msk.v9i2.400
4. Pujimulyani D. Wisnu AY. Astuti S. Sela A. Rizal R. Antidiabetic dan antioxidant potentian of Curcuma mangga Val extract and fraction. Asian Journal of Agriculture and Biology 2018; 6(2): 162-168.
5. Muchtaromah B. Alif QAL. Silvia A. Romaidi. Tanjina S. Amaq F. Emy KS. Effect of Allium sativum, Curcuma mangga and Acorus calamus Combination on the Uterus and Hormonal Profile in Rat Induced by Cisplatin. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2020; 13(11):5438-5442. doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00949.X
6. Gutierez JM. Gonzales C. Maestro A. Sole I. Pey CM. Nolla J. Nanoemulsions; new application and optimization of their preparation. Current Opinion & Colloid Interface Science 2008; 13: 245-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cocis.2008.01.005
7. Thakur A. Manpreet KW. Hari K. Nanoemulsion in Enhacement of Bioavaibility of Poorly Soluble Drugs: A Review. Pharmacophore 2013; 4(1): 15-25.
8. Lawrence MJ. Rees GD. Microemulsion-based media as novel drug delivery system. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews 2000; 45: 89-121. doi.org/10.1016/s0169-409x(00)00103-4
9. Kaur G. Bedi PMS. Jasjeet KN. Topical Nanoemulgel: A Novel Pathway for Investigating Alopecia. Journal of Nanomedicine & Nanotechnology 2017; 8(6): 1-5. doi.org/10.4172/2157-7439.1000472
10. Prasetyo BE. Karsono. Sakro MM. Lia L. Formulation and Physical Evaluation of Castor Oil based Nanoemulsion for Diclofenac Sodium Delivery System. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2018; 11(9): 3861-3865. doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00707.2
11. Alaayedi M. Mahmood H. Saeed A. The Enhancement Effect of Castor Oil on the Permeability of Flurbiprofen as Transdermal Gel. International Journal of Applied Pharmaceutics 2018; 10(1):140-144. Doi.org/10.22159/ijap.2018v10i1.23348
12. Solans C. Isabel S. Nano-emulsions: Formation by low energy methods. Curent Opinion in Colloid & Interface Science 2012; 17(2): 246-254. doi.org/10.1016/j.cocis.2012.07.003
13. Chaudhary H. Rohilla A. Rathee P. Kumar V. Optimization and formulation design of carbopol loaded Piroxicam gel using novel penetration enhancers. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 2013; 55: 246-253. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2013.01.015
14. Sanjeewani NA. Sakeena MHF. Formulation and Characterization of Virgin Coconut Oil (VCO) Based Emulsion. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications 2013; 3(12): 1-6.
15. Khan MW. Ahsan MJ. Gupta SK. Development and Invivo Characteerization of Mucoadhesive Nanoemulgel (MNEG) for Enhanced Delivery of Carbamazepine. International Journal Of Advances In Pharmacy Medicine and Bioallied Sciences 2017; 1-9.
16. Safitri FI. Desy N. Dina F. Overview: Application of Carbopol 940 in Gel. Proceedings of the International Conference on Health and Medical Sciences. Advances in Health Sciences Research 2021;34 : 80-84. doi.org/10.2991/ahsr.k.210127.018
17. Varges RP. Costa CM. Fonseca BS. Naccache MF. Mendes PRD. Rheological characterization of carbopol ® dispersions in water and in water/glycerol solutions. Fluids 2019; 4(3). doi.org/10.3390/fluids4010003
18. Yani TN. Effionora A. Fadlina CS. Emulgel Formulation of Binahong Leaves Ethanolic Extract (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis) and In Vitro Activity Test Against Propionibacterium acnes secara in Vitro. The Indonesian Pharmaceutical Journal 2016; 6 (2): 89-97. doi.org/10.22435/jki.v6i2.2923
19. Chellapa A. Aref TM. Eseldin IK. Assad E. Ahmad ME.Yosef SI. Nagib AE. Nanoemulsion and Nanoemulgel as a Topical Formulation. IOSR Journal Of Pharmacy 2015; 5(10): 43-47.