Kanchan Nikam, Sachin Bhusari, Pravin Wakte
Kanchan Nikam*, Sachin Bhusari, Pravin Wakte
University Department of Chemical Technology, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 7,
Year - 2022
A novel, rapid, selective, precise and accurate stability-indicating reversed phase high-performance liquid chromatography (RP-HPLC) method was developed for Pterostilbene. The method was validated accord¬ing the Q2(R1) guidelines of International Conference on Harmonization (ICH) with respect to system suitability, linearity, range, LOD, LOQ, accuracy, precision. The forced degradation was validated according to International Conference on Harmonization (ICH). The chromatographic analysis was performed on Agilent 1260 Infinity HPLC instrument using an ACE C-18 Column (150 x 4.6mm, 3um) and mobile phase comprising water: ACN (35:65 v/v) at the flow rate of 1 ml/min. The column eluent was monitored at 306nm. The total run time was 6 min and the average retention time of Pterostilbene was found to be 3.19 min. The method showed excellent linear response with correlation coefficient values (R2) of 0.999 which were within the limit of correlation coefficient (R2 >0.995). Average percentage recovery of Pterostilbene was 98.65 found within acceptable limits (97.0-103%). The LOD and LOQ were 0.006875ng and 0.020626 ng respectively. Percent RSD values of intra-day precision study were below 2%. Pterostilbene showed significant degradation when exposed to water, acid (0.1N HCL), base (0.1N NaOH), oxidizing agent (10% H2O2), and UV light. Pterostilbene content of the aqueous extract (extractive yield: 5.25%) of Pterocarpus marsupium powder by using proposed HPLC method was found to be 1.732µg. Similarly, for aqueous-ethanolic extract (extractive yield: 10%) was found to be 30.540µg. Ninety five % ethanolic extract (extractive yield: 3.33%) was found to contain 34.663µg Pterostilbene.
Cite this article:
Kanchan Nikam, Sachin Bhusari, Pravin Wakte. High Performance Liquid Chromatography Method Validation and Forced degradation Studies of Pterostilbene. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(7):2969-5. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00495
Kanchan Nikam, Sachin Bhusari, Pravin Wakte. High Performance Liquid Chromatography Method Validation and Forced degradation Studies of Pterostilbene. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(7):2969-5. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00495 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-7-17
1. Roupe, Remsberg CM, Y´a˜nez JA and Davies NM. Pharmacometrics of stilbenes: seguing towards the clinic. Current clinical pharmacology. 2006;1(1):81–101.
2. Lin HS, Yue BD, and Ho PC. Determination of Pterostilbene in rat plasma by a simple HPLC-UV method and its application in pre-clinical pharmacokinetic study. Biomedical Chromatography. 2009;23(12):1308-15.
3. Fuendjiep V, Wandji J, Tillequin F, Mulholland DA, Budzikiewicz H, Fomum ZT, et al. Chalconoid and stilbenoid glycosides from Guibourtia tessmanii. Phytochemistry. 2002;60(8):803-6.
4. Pezet R and Pont V. Identification of Pterostilbene in grape berries of Vitis vinifera. Plant Physiol. Biochem. 1988;26(5):603-7
5. Adrian M, Jeandet P, Douillet-Breuil AC, Tesson L, Bessis R. Stilbene content of mature Vitis vinifera berries in response to UV-C elicitation. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2000;48(12):6103-5.
6. Breuil ACD, Jeandet P, Adrian M, Bessis R. Changes in the phytoalexin content of various Vitis spp. in response to ultraviolet C elicitation. J. Agric. Food Chem. 1999;47(10):4456-61.
7. Seshadri TR. Polyphenols of Pterocarpus and Dalbergia woods. Phytochemistry. 1972;11(3):881-98.
8. Mishra A, Srivastava R, Swayam P, Gautam S, Kumar A, Maury R, Arvind K. Antidiabetic activity of heart wood of Pterocarpus marsupium Roxb. And analysis of phytoconstituents. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 2013;51:363-74.
9. Manickam M, Ramanathan M, Jahromi MAF, Chansouria JPN, Ray AB. Antihyperglycemic activity of phenolics from Pterocarpus marsupium. J. Nat. Prod. 1997;60(6):609-10.
10. Gupta RR and Gupta RS. Effect of Pterocarpus marsupium in streptozotocin-induced hyperglycemic state in rats: comparison with glibenclamide. Diabetologia Croatica. 2009; 38(2):39-45.
11. Perera HKI. Antidiabetic Effects of Pterocarpus marsupium (Gammalu). European Journal of Medicinal Plants. 2016;13(4):1-14.
12. Pari M and Amarnath S. Effect of pterostilbene on hepatic key enzymes of glucose metabolism in streptozotocin- and nicotinamide-induced diabetic rats. Life Sciences. 2006;79:641–45.
13. Pari M and Amarnath S. Effect of pterostilbene on lipids and lipid profiles in streptozotocin–nicotinamide induced type 2 diabetes mellitus. J. Appl. Biomed. 2008;6:31–37.
14. Mallavadhani UV and Sahu G. Pterostilbene: A Highly Reliable Quality- Control Marker for the Ayurvedic Antidiabetic Plant ‘Bijasar’. Chromatographia. 2003;58:307-12.
15. Akansha M, Rohit S, Swayam PS, Sudeep G, Rakesh M, Akhilesh KT, et al. Confirmation towards establishing antidiabetic activity in heart wood of Pterocarpus marsupium and analysis of phytoconstituents. Indian J. Exp. Biol. 2013;51:363-74.
16. Daniel M, Corey L, Krista D, Justin J, Marion R, David D. Analysis of Safety from a Human Clinical Trial with Pterostilbene. Journal of Toxicology. 2013;1:1-5.
17. Denise M and David M. A Review of Pterostilbene Antioxidant Activity and Disease Modification. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity. 2013:1-15.
18. Amorati R, Lucarini M, Mugnaini V, Pedulli GF. Antioxidant activity of hydroxystilbene derivatives in homogeneous solution. J. Org. Chem. 2004;69(21):7101-7.
19. Rimando AM, Cuendet M, Desmarchelier C, Mehta RG, Pezzuto JM, and Duke SO. Cancer chemopreventive and antioxidant activities of pterostilbene, a naturally occurring analogue of resveratrol. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2002;50(12):3453-7.
20. Stivala LA, Savio M, Carafoli F, Perucca P, Bianchi L, Maga G, et al. Specific structural determinants are responsible for the antioxidant activity and the cell cycle effects of resveratrol. J. Biol. Chem. 2001;276(25):22586-94.
21. Roberti M, Pizzirani D, Simoni D, Rondanin R, Baruchello R, Bonora C, et al. Synthesis and biological evaluation of resveratrol and analogues as apoptosis-inducing agents. J. Med. Chem. 2003;46(16):3546-54.
22. Tolomeo M, Grimaudo S, Cristina AD, Roberti M, Pizzirani D, Meli M, et al. Pterostilbene and 3′-Hydroxypterostilbene are effective apoptosis-inducing agents in MDR and BCR-ABL-expressing leukemia cells. Int. J. Biochem. Cell Biol. 2005;37(8):1709-26.
23. Ferrer P, Asensi M, Segarra R, Ortega A, Beniloch M, Obrador E, et al. Association between pterostilbene and quercetin inhibits metastatic activity of B16 melanoma. Neoplasia. 2005;7(1):37-47.
24. Daniel M, Corey L, Krista D, Justin J, Marion R, David D. Analysis of Safety from a Human Clinical Trial with Pterostilbene. Journal of Toxicology. 2013:1-5.
25. Paul B, Masih I, Deopujari J and Charpentier C. Occurrence of resveratrol and Pterostilbene in age-old darakchasava, an ayurvedic medicine from India. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 1999;68:71–76.
26. Denise M and David M. Pterostilbene and cancer: current review. Journal of surgical research. 2012;173(2): 53-61.
27. Connie MR, Jaime AY, Kathryn AR, Neal MD. High-performance liquid chromatographic analysis of Pterostilbene in biological fluids using fluorescence detection. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 2007;43(1):250-4.
28. Lin HS, Yue BD, Ho PC. Determination of pterostilbene in rat plasma by a simple HPLC-UV method and its application in pre-clinical pharmacokinetic study. Biomed. Chromatogr. 2009; 23(12):1308-15.
29. Mathrusri AM and Kumar SP. New derivative and differential spectrophotometric methods for the determination of pterostilbene - an antioxidant. Pharm. Methods. 2015; 6:143-7.
30. Hai SL Bing DY, Paul CH. Determination of Pterostilbene in rat plasma by a simple HPLC-UV method and its application in pre-clinical pharmacokinetic study. Biomed. Chromatogr. 2009;23:1308–1315.
31. Mukthinuthalapati MA, Bukkapatnam V, Gunnam RT. Development of a Validated Stability Indicating Liquid Chromatographic Method for the Determination of Pterostilbene. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research. 2018;52(4):563-570.
32. Raveendra Babu G, Srinivasa Rao J, Suresh kumar K, Jayachandra Reddy P. Stability Indicating Liquid Chromatographic Method for Aripiprazole. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2011;1(1):03-07.
33. Ahsanul Haque Md, Shahriar M, Nazma P, Ashraful Islam S. M. Validated RP-HPLC Method for Estimation of Ranitidine Hydrochlorid, Domperidone and Naproxen in Solid Dosage Form. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2011;1(3):59-63.
34. Chowdhury SR, Maleque M, Shihan MH. Development and Validation of a Simple RP-HPLC Method for Determination of Caffeine in Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2012; 2(1):01-04.
35. Swapna J, Madhu C, Srivani M, Sumalatha M, Nehalatha Y, Anusha Y. Analytical Method Development and Method Validation for the Simultaneous Estimation of Metformin hydrochloride and Pioglitazone hydrochloride in Tablet Dosage Form by RP-HPLC. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2012;2(3):85-89.
36. Revathi R, Venkata Naga Suresh P, Koteswara Rao M, Ethiraj T, Rajarajan S. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for Content Analysis of Didanosine in Dosage Form. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2012;2(4):118-121.
37. Gupta SK, Kumar B, Sharma PK. Development and validation of a RP-HPLC method for estimation of Thalidomide in solid dosage form. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2013;3(1):17-19.
38. Solanki R, Nagori BP, Naval MK, Banerjee J. Development and Validation of Simultaneous Estimation Method for Amoxycillin Trihydrate and Tinidazole in Tablet Dosage Form by RP-HPLC. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2013; 3(2):66-71.
39. Pinaz A, Kasad, KS, Muralikrishna. Design and Validation of Dissolution Profile of Rivaroxaban by Using RP-HPLC Method in Dosage Form. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2013;3(3):75-78.
40. Revathi R, Saravanan VS, Ethiraj T, Marreddy JL. RP-HPLC Analysis for Quantitation of Candesartan Cilexetil in Solid Dosage Forms. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2013;3(4):115-118.
41. Thangabalan B, Koya A, Chaitanya G, Sunitha N, Manohar Babu S. Stability Indicating RP–HPLC Method for the Estimation of Acamprosate in Pure and Tablet Dosage Form. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2013;3(4):141-146.
42. Vyas N, Panchal S. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Nebivolol and Indapamide in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2014;4(3):98-102.