A simple, rapid, accurate and precise RP-HPLC method was developed and validated for the determination of Atazanavir sulfate in table dosage form. Chromatographic analysis of the drug was achieved on CYBER LAB HPLC comprising of LC- 100 P pump, a variable wavelength programmable LC-UV100 UV detector and SCL system controller. Flowrosil C18 column (250mm x 4.6mm, 5µ) as stationary phase with mobile phase consisting of 1% glacial acetic acid and methanol in the ratio of 20: 80 v/v. The method showed a good linear response in the concentration range of 5-30µg/ml with correlation coefficient of 0.9990. The flow rate was maintained at 1.0 ml/min and detection was carried out at 249nm. The retention time was 5.207min. The method was statistically validated for accuracy, precision, linearity, ruggedness, robustness, solution stability, selectivity and sensitivity. The results obtained in the study were within the limits of ICH guidelines and hence this method can be used for the determination of atazanavir sulfate in capsule formulation.
Cite this article:
Soundarya K, Hemant Kumar T, Manjunath SY. New RP-HPLC Method for the Estimation of Atazanavir sulphate in Pharmaceutical Dosage form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(7):2928-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00488
Soundarya K, Hemant Kumar T, Manjunath SY. New RP-HPLC Method for the Estimation of Atazanavir sulphate in Pharmaceutical Dosage form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(7):2928-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00488 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-7-10
1. Raja A, Lebbos J, Kirkpatrick P. Atazanavir sulphate, Nature Reviews Drug Discovery. 2003;2:857–858.
2. Fässler A, Bold G, Capraro HG. Aza-peptide analogues as potent human immunodeficiency virus type-1 protease inhibitors with oral bioavailability. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 1996;39: 3203–3216.
3. Bold G, Fässler A, Capraro HG. New aza-dipeptide analogues as potent and orally absorbed HIV-1 protease inhibitors: candidates for clinical development. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry.1998; 41 :3387–3401
4. Khanage, S.G., Deshmukh, V.K., Mohite, P.B. Development of derivative spectroscopic estimation of atazanavir sulphate in bulk drug and pharmaceutical dosage forms. International Journal of Pharma Research and Health Sciences. 2010; 1(3); 149-154.
5. Minal R. Ghante, Manoj M. Kadam. Development And Validation of UV Spectrophotometric Methods For Estimation Of Atazanavir Sulphate In Bulk And Tablet Dosage Form. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences .2014; 6(7), 351-353.
6. Pathi J, Reddy PR, Raju NA. Visible spectrophotometric estimation of atazanavir in pharmaceutical formulations. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology.2011; 4(2): 273-275.
7. Bhirud CH. Stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the determination of Atazanavir sulpha in bulk and dosage form. Drug Invention Today.2013; 5(2), 81–86.
8. Chitturi S, Somannavar R, Peruri YS. Gradient RP-HPLC method for the determination of potential impurities in atazanavir sulfate. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2011; 55: 31-47.
9. Dailly E, Raffi F, Jolliet P. Determination of atazanavir and other antiretroviral drugs plasma levels by high performance liquid chromatography with UV- detection. Journal of Chromatography B.2005; 813; 353-358.
10. Srinivasu K, Rao VJ, Raju NA , Mukkanti K. Validated RP-HPLC Method for the Determination of Atazanavir in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. E-Journal of Chemistry .2011; 8(1): 453-456.
11. Arianna L, Silvana P, Elisa B, Giologio P, Giuseppe PS. Simple activation of the HIV protease inhibition atazanavir in human plasma by HPLC with UV detection. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis .2006; 42: 500-505.
12. Padmalatha M, K Vanitha Prakash and Eranna Dopadally. Validated, reverse phase high performance liquid chromatography method for the estimation of atazanavir sulfate in pharmaceutical formulations. Oriental Journal of Chemistry.2010; 26(1): 123-127.
13. Olivier T, Clemence VM, Cedric A. Simultaneous quantitative assay of atazanavir and six other HIV proteaseinhibitors by isocratic reversed-phase liquid chromatography in human plasma. Therapeutic Drug Monitoring. 2005; 27;265-269.
14. Gadhvi M, Bhandari A. Simultaneous Determination of Ritonavir and Atazanavir in Combined Tablet Dosage Form by HPTLC. Asian Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences.2011; 2(15): 15-19.
15. Bhavana V, Hemant TK, Srinivasa YR, Rao KVP. RP-HPLC method for estimation of Solifenacin Succinate in API and Tablet dosage form. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis.2019;9(3):118-122.
16. Mounika PS, Hemant TK, Srinivasa YR, Rao KVP. RP-HPLC Method For Quantification of Empagliflozin in Pharmaceutical Formulation. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology.2019;9(3):208-211.
17. Dhalape VM, Santosh TK and Pinjari VR. RP-HPLC Method Validation for Quantitative Analysis of Pemetrexed Disodium Hemipentahydrate. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology.2020;13(8):3685-3689.
18. Sabarathinam S and Vijayakumar TM. RP-HPLC Method Development and Validation of Midazolam: A CYP3A4 Probe Drug. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology.2020;13(8):3565-3568.
19. Vitthal MD, Santosh T and Rahul VP. RP-HPLC Method Validation for Quantitative Analysis of Pemetrexed Disodium Hemipentahydrate. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology.2020; 13(8):3685-3689.
20. Deep Shikha Sharma, Sheetu Wadhwa, Sachin Kumar Singh, Arya Ramanunny, Rajan Kumar. Estimation of 5-fluorouracil by high-performance liquid Chromatography Reversed-phase Validated method. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(9):4249-4254.
21. Gupta S. K., Sachan N., Chandra P., Sharma A. K. A Robustustic Eco-Friendly Analytical Method to Quantify Topotecan in Pharmaceuticals by RP-HPLC. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(9):4387-4390.
22. Sarvesh Sabarathinam, T M Vijayakumar. RP-HPLC Method Development and Validation of Midazolam: A CYP3A4 Probe Drug. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(8):3565-3568.
23. Khairi M. S. Fahelelbom, Moawia M. M. Al-Tabakha, Nermin A. M. Eissa, Dana Emad Eddin Obaid, Sadik Sayed. Development and Validation of an RP-HPLC Analytical Method for Determination of Lisinopril in Full and Split Tablets. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(6):2647-2652.
24. Kallol Jana, Beduin Mahanti. Development and Validation of a new improved RP-HPLC Method for estimation of Rosuvastatin calcium in Pharmaceutical dosage form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(6): 2886-2892.
25. ICH - Guidelines Q2A, Validation of Analytical Procedures: Definition and Terminology (CPMP III/5626/94) March (1995). Geneva, Switzerland: ICH. ICH - Guidelines Q2B, Validation of Analytical Procedures: Methodology, (CPMP/ICH/281/95) November (1996). Geneva, Switzerland: ICH.