Mustafa H. Al-Musawi, Kadhim M. Ibrahim, Salim Albukhaty
Mustafa H. Al-Musawi1, Kadhim M. Ibrahim2, Salim Albukhaty3*
1Department Clinical Laboratory Science, College of Pharmacy, University of Al-Mustansiriyah.
2Department of Biotechnology, College of Biotechnology, Al- Nahrain University, Iraq.
3Department of Chemistry, College of Science, University of Misan, Maysan 62001, Iraq.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 7,
Year - 2022
The fruit of Cordia myxa (C. myxa) grown under climatic conditions in Iraq has a great advantage for its sticky mucilaginous pulp, which is consumed to relieve coughs and chest pains, as well as to treat a sore throat, due to its medicinal properties. So that, the present study was undertaken to estimate the bio-active compounds of an ethanol extract of C. myxa fruit, by GC–MS and HPLC analysis, as well as to evaluate their antibacterial activities using agar diffusion test. GC–MS revealed the existence of 19 major compounds in the ethanol extract of C. myxa fruit, furthermore, HPLC analysis revealed that C. myxa fruit extract contains gallic acid, fereulic acid, chlorogenic, Caffeic acid, and Cummaric acid. The extract exhibited promising antimicrobial activity against Gram-positive bacteria (Bacillus subtilis, and Staphylococcus aureus), Gram-negative bacteria (Salmonella enterica, Escherichia coli, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa), and fungal species (Saccharomyces cerevisiae, and Aspergillus brasiliensis). The results indicate that the presence of additional bioactive chemicals can be linked to the considerable antimicrobial activity associated with ethanol extract of C. myxa fruit.
Cite this article:
Mustafa H. Al-Musawi, Kadhim M. Ibrahim, Salim Albukhaty. Phytochemical Analysis, and Anti-Microbial Activities of Ethanol Extract of Cordia myxa Fruit: In vitro Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(7):2871-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00479
Mustafa H. Al-Musawi, Kadhim M. Ibrahim, Salim Albukhaty. Phytochemical Analysis, and Anti-Microbial Activities of Ethanol Extract of Cordia myxa Fruit: In vitro Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(7):2871-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00479 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-7-1
1. James D. Muthusekhar MR. Reconstruction of secondary alveolar cleft (very late secondary osteoplasty) with iliac graft and protein rich fibrin-A Case Report. Research J. Science and Tech. 2018; 10(4): 233-6. doi: 10.5958/2349-2988.2018.00033.5
2. Mankar SD. Shaikh SB. Tamboli AA. Formulation of Herbal Tablet with the help of Tulsi and Turmeric Extract Which Showing Antimicrobial Activity. Research J. Science and Tech. 2020; 12(1): 69-76. doi: 10.5958/2349-2988.2020.00009.1
3. Jadhav CA. Vikhe DN. Jadhav RS. Global and domestic market of herbal medicines: A review. Research J. Science and Tech. 2020; 12(4): 327-30. doi: 10.5958/2349-2988.2020.00049.2
4. Aljaloud S. Colleran HL. Ibrahim SA. Nutritional value of date fruits and potential use in nutritional bars for athletes. Food and Nutrition Sciences. 2020; 11(06): 463. doi:10.4236/ fns.2020.116034
5. Al-Kaabi WJ. Albukhaty S. Al-Fartosy AJ. Al-Karagoly HK. Al-Musawi S. Sulaiman GM. Dewir YH. Alwahibi MS. Soliman DA. Development of Inula graveolens (L.) plant extract electrospun/ polycaprolactone nanofibers: a novel material for biomedical application. Applied Sciences. 2021; 11(2): 828. https://doi.org/ 10.3390/app11020828
6. Al-Musawi S. Albukhaty S. Al-Karagoly H. Sulaiman GM. Alwahibi MS. Dewir YH. Soliman DA. Rizwana H. Antibacterial activity of honey/chitosan nanofibers loaded with capsaicin and gold nanoparticles for wound dressing. Molecules. 2020; 25(20): 4770. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules25204770
7. Jihad MA. Noori F. Jabir MS. Albukhaty S. AlMalki FA. Alyamani AA. Polyethylene Glycol Functionalized Graphene Oxide Nanoparticles Loaded with Nigella sativa Extract: A Smart Antibacterial Therapeutic Drug Delivery System. Molecules. 2021; 26(11): 3067. doi: 10.3390/molecules26113067
8. Lobo V. Patil A. Phatak A. Chandra N. Free radicals, antioxidants and functional foods: Impact on human health. Pharmacognosy Reviews. 2010; 4(8): 118-126. doi:10.4103/0973-7847.70902
9. Valizadeh Rad K. Motesharezadeh B. Alikhani HA. Dadrasnia A. The potential use of Cordia myxa in the remediation of crude oil pollution. International Journal of Phytoremediation. 2021; 23(5): 445-453. doi:10.1080/15226514.2020.1825326
10. Meghwal PR. Singh A. Kumar P. Morwal BR. Diversity, distribution and horticultural potential of Cordia myxa L.: a promising underutilized fruit species of arid and semi-arid regions of India. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution. 2014; 61(80): 1633-43. DOI:10.1007/s10722-014-0161-y
11. Abdel-Aleem ER. Attia EZ. Farag FF. Samy MN. Desoukey SY. Total phenolic and flavonoid contents and antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antipyretic and antidiabetic activities of Cordia myxa L. leaves. Clinical Phytoscience. 2019; 5: 29. doi.org/10.1186/s40816-019-0125-z
12. Ranjbar M. Varzi HN. Sabbagh A. Bolooki A. Sazmand A. Study on analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties of Cordia myxa fruit hydro-alcoholic extract. Pak J Biol Sci. 2013; 16(24): 2066-2069. DOI: 10.3923/pjbs.2013.2066.2069
13. Al-Awadi FM. Srikumar TS. Anim JT. Khan I. Antiinflammatory effects of Cordia myxa fruit on experimentally induced colitis in rats. Nutrition. 2 2001; 17(5): 391-396. doi.org/10.1016/S0899-9007(01)00517-2
14. Fatima S. Haider N. Alam MA. et al. Herbal Approach for the Management of C0VID-19: An Overview. Drug Metab Pers Ther. 2020. doi.org/10.1515/dmpt-2020-0150
15. Ibrahim AY. El-Newary SA. Ibrahim GE. Antioxidant, cytotoxicity and anti-tumor activity of Cordia dichotoma fruits accompanied with its volatile and sugar composition. Ann. Agric. Sci. 2019; 64: 29–37. doi.org/10.1016/j.aoas.2019.05.008
16. Sathyanarayanan S. Chandran R. Thankarajan S. Abrahamse H. Thangaraj P. Phytochemical composition, antioxidant and anti-bacterial activity of Syzygium calophyllifolium Walp. fruit. J Food Sci Technol. 2018; 55(1): 341-350. doi:10.1007/s13197-017-2944-6
17. Andlauer W. Martena MJ. Fürst P. Determination of selected phytochemicals by reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography combined with ultraviolet and mass spectrometric detection. J Chromatogr A. 1999; 849(2): 341-348. doi:10.1016/ s0021-9673(99)00597-x
18. Ainsworth EA. Gillespie KM. Estimation of total phenolic content and other oxidation substrates in plant tissues using Folin–Ciocalteu reagent. Nat Protoc. 2007; 2: 875–877. https:// doi.org/10.1038/nprot.2007.102
19. Murthy HN. Joseph KS. Gaonkar AA. Payamalle S. Evaluation of chemical composition and antioxidant activity of Cordia myxa fruit pulp. J Herbs Spices Med Plants. 2019; 25:192–201. https:// doi.org/10.1080/10496475.2019.1585399
20. Dhar P. Bajpai PK. Tayade AB. Chaurasia OP. Srivastava RB. Singh SB. Chemical composition and antioxidant capacities of phytococktail extracts from trans-Himalayan cold desert. BMC Complem Altern Med. 2013; 13: 259. doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-13-259
21. Olaniyan OT. Kunle-Alabi OT. Raji Y. Protective effects of methanol extract of Plukenetia conophora seeds and 4H-Pyran-4-One 2, 3-Dihydro-3, 5-Dihydroxy-6-Methyl on the reproductive function of male Wistar rats treated with cadmium chloride. JBRA Assist Reprod. 2018; 22(4): 289-300. doi:10.5935/1518-0557.20180048
22. Teoh YP. Mat Don M. Mycelia growth and production of total flavonoids and 4H-pyran-4-one, 2, 3-dihydro-3, 5-dihydroxy-6-methyl-by Schizophyllum commune using a bubble column bioreactor considering aeration effect and mass transfer study. Chemical and Biochemical Engineering Quarterly. 2014; 28: 553-559. DOI: 10.15255/CABEQ.2014.2024
23. Obioma U. Elijah P. Chukwudi C. Antioxidant Properties of Gongronema latifolia. Research J. Science and Tech. 2011; 3(4): 204-7.
24. Selvaraj Divya. Subramanian Arivoli. Samuel Tennyson. Phytochemical analysis and in vitro Antioxidant and Antibacterial activity of the Chloroform leaf extract of Abelmoschus manihot (L.) Medik (Malvaceae). Research J. Science and Tech. 2021; 14(9): 4719-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00821
25. Mat Radzi S. Basri M. Salleh AB. Ariff A. Mohammad R. Abdul Rahman MB. Raja Abdul Rahman RN. Optimisation study of large‐scale enzymatic synthesis of oleyl oleate, a liquid wax ester, by response surface methodology. J Chem Technol Biotechnol. 2006; 81: 374–380.
26. Vaidiyanathan R. Anand B. Importance of Chemistry in Herbal Cosmetics and Cosmeceuticals. Research J. Science and Tech. 2017; 10(12): 4460-2.
27. Kahkeshani N. Farzaei F. Fotouhi M, et al. Pharmacological effects of gallic acid in health and diseases: A mechanistic review. Iran J Basic Med Sci. doi:10.22038/ijbms.2019.32806.7897.
28. S Freitas C. Alves da Silva G. Perrone D. A Vericimo M. Baião DS. et al. Recovery of antimicrobials and bioaccessible isoflavones and phenolics from soybean (Glycine max) meal by aqueous extraction. Molecules. (2019) 24: 74. doi: 10.3390/ molecules24010074
29. AlMatar M. Var I. Kayar B. Eker E. Kafkas E. Zarifikhosroshahi M, Köksal F. Evaluation of polyphenolic profile and antibacterial activity of pomegranate juice in combination with rifampin (R) against MDR-TB clinical isolates. Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2019; 20(4): 317-326. doi:10.2174/1389201020666190308130343
30. Hojjati M. Beirami-Serizkani F. Structural characterization, antioxidant and antibacterial activities of a novel water-soluble polysaccharide from Cordia myxa fruits. Journal of Food Measurement and Characterization. 2020; 14: 3417–3425. https:// doi.org/10.1007/s11694-020-00586-y
31. Albukhaty S. Al-Bayati L. Al-Karagoly H. and Al-Musawi S. Preparation and characterization of titanium dioxide nanoparticles and in vitro investigation of their cytotoxicity and antibacterial activity against Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli. Anim. Biotechnol. 2020; 1–7. https://doi.org/10.1080/ 10495398.2020.1842751
32. Hamdia MS. Al-Faraji AS. Evaluation of Inhibitory Activity of Cordia Myxa Fruit Extract on Microorganisms that Causes Spoilage of Food and Its Role in the Treatment of Certain Disease States. Evaluation. 2017; 7(2).
33. Suganya S. Bharathidasan R. Senthilkumar G. Madhanraj P. Panneerselvam A. Antibacterial activity of essential oil extracted from Coriandrum sativam (L.) and GC-MS analysis. J. Chem. Pharm. Res. 2012; 4(3): 1846-50.
34. Kambar Y. Asha MM. Chaithra M. Prashith KT. Antibacterial activity of leaf and flower extract of Quisqualis indica Linn. against clinical isolates of Staphylococcus aureus. Research J. Science and Tech. 2014; 6(1): 23-4.
35. Aglawe S. Gayke A. Murade P. Swami P. Game P. Kadam P. Kanawade S. Garud Y. Different methods of extraction for Red Dye from Capsicum annuum. Research J. Science and Tech. 2019; 11(4): 281-6.
36. Jose BE. Panneerselvam P. In Vitro Antidiabetic activity of Ethanol and Aqueous leaf extracts of Azima tetracantha Lam. Research J. Science and Tech. 2019; 11(1): 64-8.