Ch Rama Naidu Gorripati, Sudhakar Chintakula, Sreenivasa Rao Battula, J.V.S.K.V. Kalyani
Ch Rama Naidu Gorripati1, Sudhakar Chintakula1*, Sreenivasa Rao Battula1, J.V.S.K.V. Kalyani2
1Department of Chemistry, Institute of Science, GITAM (Deemed to be University), Visakhapatnam - 530045, Andhra Pradesh, India.
2B.V.K. Degree College, Dwarakanagar, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 6,
Year - 2022
The objective of the current investigation is to study the degradation behaviour of the Pimozide under different stress conditions using LC-MS method. Pimozide is a diphenyl butylpiperidine derivative used as antipsychotic drug. It was exposed to different stress conditions like acidic, alkali, thermal, peroxide and UV light to investigate its stability. Successful separation of drug from its degradation products was achieved on Waters C18 column (150mm X 4.5mm, 5µm) using methanol and acetonitrile 65:35 (V/V) having pH 5.5 as mobile phase in isocratic elution mode at a flow rate of 1.0ml/min with UV detection at 230nm. Quantification was achieved using an electrospray ion interface operating in positive mode, under multiple reaction monitoring conditions. Optimized LC-MS conditions were validated by ICH Q2 (R1) guidelines with respect to specificity, precision, linearity, recovery, LOD and LOQ. The method proved that Pimozide was found sensitive under UV light and alkali conditions, stable under thermal stress condition and moderate stability under acidic and oxidation condition with lowest degradation. The developed LC-MS method was found simple, sensitive and efficiently separated the drug and its degradation products in all samples.
Cite this article:
Ch Rama Naidu Gorripati, Sudhakar Chintakula, Sreenivasa Rao Battula, J.V.S.K.V. Kalyani. Stability indicating LC-MS Method development and Validation for Quantitative analysis of Pimozide. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(6):2433-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00405
Ch Rama Naidu Gorripati, Sudhakar Chintakula, Sreenivasa Rao Battula, J.V.S.K.V. Kalyani. Stability indicating LC-MS Method development and Validation for Quantitative analysis of Pimozide. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(6):2433-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00405 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-6-9
1. Colvin CL, Tankanow RM. "Pimozide: use in Tourette's syndrome", Drug Intelligence and Clinical Pharmacy, 1985, 19 (6): 421–4.
2. Generali JA, Cada DJ, "Pimozide: parasitosis (delusional)", Hospital Pharmacy. 2014, 49 (2): 134–5.
3. Varshita Veerni Jaya Ratna, Monika Vempadapu, Rajkiran Kolakota, Vinod Kumar Muguda, Risk of Cardiovascular Disease in Schizophrenia: A Mini Review. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences.
4. Josephine Gracia Britto, Ramachandra, Relapse Prevention among Caregivers of Patients with Schizophrenia. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research.
5. Meehan WJ, Badreshia S, Mackley CL, "Successful treatment of delusions of parasitosis with olanzapine", Archives of Dermatology, 2006, 142 (3): 352–5.
6. Taylor D, Paton C, Shitij K, The Maudsley prescribing guidelines in psychiatry. West Sussex: Wiley-Blackwell, 2012.
7. Brunton L, Chabner B, Knollman B, Goodman and Gilman's The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics (12th ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2010.
8. ICH, Stability Testing of New Drug Substances and Products, International Conference on Harmonization, IFPMA, Geneva, 1993.
9. International Conference on Harmonization (ICH), Q1A (R2): Stability testing of new drug substances and products, IFPMA, Geneva, 2003.
10. Prachi Kabra et al, RP-HPLC method for estimation of an antipsychotic drug – Pimozide, Asian Joural of pharmaceutical and clinical research, 2014, Vol 7, Suppl 2, 49-51.
11. Yasuhiro Miyao et al, A sensitive assay method for pimozide in human plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection, Journal of Chromatography, 1983, 275, 443-449.
12. M. T. Mohite, V. V. Dudhabale, K. V. Chandgude ,Validation of Stability Indicating RP-HPLC, Method of Analysis for assay of Ivabradine HCl in SR Tablet, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis
13. B. Venkateswara Rao, P. Vijetha, S. Vidyadhara, K. Kavitha, A Novel RP-HPLC Method Development and Validation for the Determination of Pioglitazone and Glimepiride in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Formulations, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis.
14. Nidhi K Patel, Shailesh K. Koradia, Development and Validation of stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous estimations of Beclomethasone dipropionate and Formoterol fumarate in their combined pharmaceutical dosage form, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis.
15. Jayshree Pawar, Sandeep Sonawane, Santosh Chhajed, Sanjay Kshirsagar, Development and Validation of RP-HPLC method for simultaneous Estimation of Metformin HCl and Gliclazide, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis.
16. Manjula Devi A.S. et al, Stability indicating HPTLC determination of pimozide in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form, Der Pharmacia Letter, 2013, 5 (1), 182-187.
17. Kiran Deshpande, Pranjali Ranaware, A. R. Madgulkar, M.C. Damle, Development and Validation of Stability Indicating HPTLC Method for Determination of Repaglinide, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology.
18. Miao Yana et al, Quantitative determination of pimozide in human plasma by liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry and its application in a bioequivalence study, Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, 2010, 51, 1161–1164.
19. Akhilesh Gupta, Swati Rawat, Mayuri Gandhi, Jaydeep Singh Yadav, Method Development and Acid Degradation Study of Doxofylline by RP-HPLC and LC-MS/MS, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis.
20. Akhilesh Gupta, Jaydeep Singh Yadav, Swati Rawat, Mayuri Gandhi, Method Development and Hydrolytic Degradation Study of Doxofylline by RP-HPLC and LC-MS/MS, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis.
21. Amal Mahmoud Abou Al Alamein et al, Univariate spectrophotometry and multivariate calibration: Stability-indicating analytical tools for the quantification of pimozide in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form, Bulletin of Faculty of Pharmacy, Cairo University, 2015, 53, 173–183.
22. Prachi Kabra et al, Development and validation of derivative spectrophotometric method for estimation of pimozide, Journal of Pharma Research, 2016, 5(7), 168-170.
23. SayannaVeeraiah T et al, Spectrophotometric determination of pimozide in pure and pharmaceutical forms using triphenyl methane dyes, International Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2014, Vol. 5 (2), 105-111.
24. LohitaM. et al, UV spectrophotometric determination of pimozide in bulk and tablet dosage form, World Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2014, 2(9), 1046-1050.
25. S. Vidyadhara, RLC Sasidhar, B. Venkateswara Rao, P. Ratna Kumari Simultaneous UV Spectrophotometric Method for the Determination of Tenofovir, Efavirenz and Lamivudine in Bulk and Combined Dosage Form. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis.