Asmita S., Mahaveer S., Sagar W., Birendra S.
Asmita S.1*, Mahaveer S.1, Sagar W.2, Birendra S.1
1School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Jaipur National University, Jagatpura, Rajasthan, India.
2JSPM’s Charak College of Pharmacy and Research, Wagholi, Pune.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 6,
Year - 2022
To achieve easy, sensitive reproducible high-performance thin-layer chromatography (HPTLC) densitometric method was developed and validated for the determination of tapentadol HCl and its pharmaceutical formulation. In this method the ethyl acetate: methanol: ammonia (6:4:0.5v/v/v) were used as mobile phase for chromatographic separation of the drug. The method has been performed on precoated silica Tab 60F254 Merck plates and the Rf value was calculated at 0.47 for tapentadol HCL. The calibration curve was plotted in the concentration range of 500-2500ng/ml. The limits of quantitation and limit of detection were found to be 0.07 and 0.23µg/ml respectively. The correlation coefficient (R2) value was obtained at 0.998 for tapentadol HCL. The percent recoveries were obtained between 99.97 to 101.13% for tapentadol HCl. The method has been validated according to ICH guidelines for linearity, precision, accuracy, specificity, and robustness. The degradation behavior was recorded under acidic, basic, neutral, oxidative, photolytic, and thermal stress conditions. The degradation products were well separated from the pure drug under the optimized conditions. As the method could effectively separate the drug from its degradation products, it can be employed as a stability-indicating method for tapentadol HCl.
Cite this article:
Asmita S., Mahaveer S., Sagar W., Birendra S. HPTLC Analysis and Force Degradation Study of Tapentadol Hydrochloride in Bulk and Its Pharmaceutical Formulation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(6):2765-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00463
Asmita S., Mahaveer S., Sagar W., Birendra S. HPTLC Analysis and Force Degradation Study of Tapentadol Hydrochloride in Bulk and Its Pharmaceutical Formulation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(6):2765-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00463 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-6-67
1. FDA approves tapentadol immediate-release tablets for relief of moderate to severe acute pain 2008, http://www.fda.gov/downloads/drugs/drugsafety/ucm092188.pdf
2. Tzschentke T.M., Jahnel U., Kogel B. Tapentadol hydrochloride a next-generation, centrally acting analgesic with two mechanisms of action in a single molecule. Drugs of Today. 2009;(45):483-496.
3. Tayal G, Grewal A, Mittal R and Bhatia N. Tapentadol A Novel Analgesic. Journal of Anaesth Clinical Pharmacology. 2009;(4):463-466.
4. William E. Wade, W. J. S. Tapentadol Hydrochloride: A Centrally Acting Oral Analgesic. Clinical Therapeutics. 2009;(12):2804-2818.
5. Coulter C., Taruc M., Tuyay J., and Moore C. Determination of Tapentadol and its Metabolite N-Desmethyltapentadol in Urine and Oral Fluid using Liquid Chromatography with Tandem Mass Spectral Detection. Journal of Analytical Toxicology. 2010; (38):458–463.
6. Bourland J.A., Collins, Ayodele A., Chester Scot A, Ramachandran, Sumankalai, Backer Ronald C. Determination of Tapentadol (Nucynta®) and N Desmethyltapentadol in Authentic Urine Specimens by Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry Journal of analytical toxicology. 2010(34):458-463.
7. Aditya Pavan B., Mahesh J., Vijay5xalakshmi M. Spectrophotometric estimation of Tapentadol Hydrochloride in bulk and its pharmaceutical formulation. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Science.2012(2):52-55.
8. Dasu Deva Ch, Eshwar G, Silpakala E and Shalini R. N. Development of New Spectrophotometric Methods for the Quantitative Analysis of Tapentadol in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Current Pharma Research. 2012(1):718-726.
9. K Madhu Babu, S Kathirvel. Development and Validation of visible Spectrophotometric method of Tapentadol Hydrochloride in bulk and Pharmaceutical dosage form Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. (4) 328-331.
10. Mobrouk, M. M.; El-Fatatry, H. M.; Hammad, S. F.; Mohamed, A. A. Spectrophotometric Methods for Determination of Tapentadol Hydrochloride. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. 2013(3):122.
11. Goud Kiran S. D., Reddy K.V. RP-HPLC determination of related substances of Tapentadol in the bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. International Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences. 2012 (3):01-09.
12. Giorgi M., Meizler A., Mills P.C., Quantification of tapentadol in canine plasma by HPLC with spectrofluorimetric detection: Development and validation of a new methodology, Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 67–68, (2012); 148–153.
13. Giorgi M., Meizler, A., Mills, P. C.. Pharmacokinetics of the novel atypical opioid tapentadol following oral and intravenous administration in dogs. The Veterinary Journal, 2012; (3):309–313.
14. Bhatasana Purvi T. And Parmar Ashok R: Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for estimation of Tapentadol Hydrochloride in its tablet dosage form. Pelagia Research Library Der Pharmacia Sinica. 2012;(4):422-426.
15. Omkar D. Sherikar, Priti J. Mehta, Development and Validation of RP- HPLC, UV-Spectrometric and Spectrophotometric Method for Estimation of Tapentadol Hydrochloride in Bulk and Laboratory Sample of Tablet Dosage Form, Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 2012(9):4134-4140
16. Iffath Rizwana1, K. Vanitha Prakash, G. Krishna Mohan. RP-HPLC method for determination of tapentadol in bulk and its pharmaceutical formulation. Journal of Global Trends in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2012;(3):755-762.
17. Jain and Basniwal, ICH guideline practices Application of validated RP-HPLC-DAD method for determination of tapentadol hydrochloride in dosage form. Journal of Analytical Science and Technology.2013; (4):9.
18. Singaram Kathirvel, S.V. Satyanarayana and G. Devalarao. Application of a Validated Stability Indicating LC Method for the Simultaneous Estimation of Tapentadol and its Process Related Impurities in Bulk and its Dosage Form. Journal of Chemistry. 2013; 1-8
19. Marathe, G. M.; Patil, P. O.; Patil, D. A.; Patil, G. B.; Bari, S. B. Stability Indicating RP-HPLC method for the determination of tapentadol in the bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Int J Chem Tech Res. 2013;(1): 34-41.
20. M. V. Lakshminarayana, A. Krishnaiah, and G. Suneetha. Development and validation of HPLC method for estimation of tapentadol and its process-related impurities. Der Pharmacia Lettre. 2015;(1):238-257
21. Mamta Bishnoi, Ankit Jain, Yashpaul Singla, Birendra Shrivastava Quick and precise RP-HPLC method development for Tapentadol hydrochloride; Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2019;( 5):984-990
22. Kathirvel S., Madhu Babu K., A validated method for the determination of tapentadol hydrochloride in bulk and its pharmaceutical formulation by densitometric analysis. Indian drugs. 2012; (12):51-55.
23. Pragati Amin, Manisha Tayde, Prakruti Amin. Development and validation of high-performance thin-layer chromatographic HPTLC method for estimation of tapentadol hydrochloride in bulk and its tablet dosage form, IJPSR. 2014;(7): 2651-2656.
24. Shoumik Roy, Samil D. Desai, Bhavna A. Patel, Shraddha J. Development and Validation of HPTLC Method for Estimation of Tapentadol Hydrochloride. PharmaTutor. 2014; (10):136-141
25. Sherikar D. Omkar, Chaudhary Komal, Mehta J. Priti. Identification and Structural Characterization of Major Degradation Products of Tapentadol by Using Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry (LC/MS/MS). Journal of Liquid Chromatography and Related Technologie. 2016; 1-31
26. International Conference on Harmonization, ICH harmonized tripartite guideline validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology Q2 (R1) ICH, Geneva. 2005
27. The guideline, I. H. T. Stability testing of new drug substances and products. Q1A (R2), current step. 2003