Yudi Purnomo, Noer Aini, Eko Noerhayati
firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Yudi Purnomo1*, Noer Aini2, Eko Noerhayati3
1Department of Medical Pharmacology and Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Islam, Malang.
2Department of Medical Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Islam, Malang.
3Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Islam Malang.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 6,
Year - 2022
Pulutan (Urena lobata) is one of medicinal plant used to treat some diseases traditionally and pre-clinical studies have showed its efficacy. However, the study about its safety has not been evaluated completely. An acute toxicity test has to be performed in order to screen for its safety. The objective of study to determine the acute toxicity level of Urena lobata (U. lobata) leaf extract on embryo phase, juvenile and adult of zebrafish (Danio rerio) and the role of its active constituents through in silico methods. This was an experimental laboratory study using embryo, juvenile and adult of zebrafish (Danio rerio). The leaf of U. lobata was extracted by decoction methods and the extract was diluted from 12000 mg/L to 500 mg/L. The animals were exposed to the extracts for 96 hours. Toxicity level of herbs was defined using lethal concentration-50 (LC-50) obtained through linear regression. In silico study was performed using a web-based software application (iLAB ACD). The LC-50 values of U. lobata leaf extract for embryo, juvenile and adult of zebrafish (Danio rerio) were 2548 mg/L, 8748 mg/L and 8088 mg/L, respectively. Acute toxicity level of U. lobata on embryo is higher compared to juvenile and adult of zebrafish. After identification of active compound and in silico study was performed, Stigmasterol and ß-sitosterol in U. lobata showed high toxicity level based on LD-50 value. Level toxicity of U. lobata on zebrafish embryo was moderate (0.5-5.0 g/L) and it shows teratogenic effect, meanwhile, its effects on juvenile and adult fish were considered mild (5.0-15.0 g/L).
Cite this article:
Yudi Purnomo, Noer Aini, Eko Noerhayati. Acute Toxicity Level of Pulutan (Urena lobata) Leaf Extract on Zebrafish (Danio rerio) and its Analysis by In Silico Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(6):2477-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00413
Yudi Purnomo, Noer Aini, Eko Noerhayati. Acute Toxicity Level of Pulutan (Urena lobata) Leaf Extract on Zebrafish (Danio rerio) and its Analysis by In Silico Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(6):2477-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00413 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-6-17
1. Babu SS. Madhuri DB. Ali SL. A Pharmacological Review of Urena lobata plant. Asian Journal Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2016; 9:20-22. https://innovareacademics.in/journals/index.php/ajpcr/article/view/10011.
2. Purnomo Y, Makdasari J, Fatahillah FI. Inhibitory activity of Urena lobata leaf extract on alpha-amylase and alpha glucosidase: in vitro and in silico approach. J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol . 2021; 32(4): 889-894
3. Adewale AO. David AA. Abiodun OO. Studies on Anti-microbial, Antioxidant and Phytochemical Analysis of Urena lobate Leaf Extract. Journal of Physical and Natural Science. 2007; 1:12-20.
4. Emran TB. Rahman MA. Sedative, anxiolytic and analgetic effect of Urena sinuate leaf axtract in animal models. International Food Research Journal. 2014; 21(5): 2069-2075.
5. Mshelia IY. Dalori BM. Hamman LL. Garba SH. Effect of the aqueous root extract of Urena lobata (Linn) on the Liver of albino rat. Research Journal Applied Science. 2013; 5:1-6.
6. Oladele GM. Abatan MO. Haematological and sperm count changes following exposure to Hyptys suaveolens, Cleome viscosa and Urena lobata in rat. Nigerian Veterinary Journal. 2010; 31:170-176. 10.4314/nvj.v31i2.68956
7. Omonkhua AA. Onoagbe IO. Evaluation of the long-term effect of Urena lobata root extracts on blood glucose and hepatic function of normal rabbits. Journal Toxicology and Enviromental Health. 2011; 209:1-8. doi.org/10.5897/JTEHS.9000031
8. Wang S. Liu K. Wang X. Toxic effects of celastrol on embryonic development of zebra fish (Danio rerio). Drug and Chemical Toxicology. 2010; 34:61-65. 10.3109/01480545.2010.494664
9. Huang Y. Jinsong Z. Xiaobo H. Tinglin H. The use of zebrafish (Danio rerio) behavioral responses in identifying subletal exposures to deltamethrin. International Journal Environmental Research Public Health. 2014; 11:3650-3660. 10.3390/ijerph110403650
10. Howe K. Clark MD. Torroja CF. Torrance J. Berthelot C. Muffato M. Collins JE et al. The zebrafish reference genome sequence and its relationship to the human genome. Nature. 2013; 496:498-503. doi.org/10.1038/nature12111
11. OECD. Fish Acute Toxicity Test. Available from: URL: http://www.oecd.org/chemicalsafety/risk-assessment/1948241.pdf
12. OECD. Fish Embryo Toxicity Test. Available from: URL: http://www.oecd.org/chemicalsafety/testing/36817070.pdf
13. Adeloye AO. Akinpelu D. Ogundaini OA. Craig O. Studies on anti-microbial, antioxidant and phytochemical analysis of Urena lobata leaves extract. Journal of Physical and Natural Science. 2007; 1:1-9.
14. Ali SL. Babu SS. Madhuri BD. A Pharmacological Review of Urena lobata Plant. Asian Journal Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2016; 9:20-22.
15. Goodman LS. Harfman JG. Limbird LE. Gilman AG. Goodman and Gilman's the pharmacological basis of therapeutics. McGraw-Hill, New York. 2006.
16. Panda S. Jafri M. Kar A. Meheta BK. Thyroid inhibitory, anti-peroxidative and hypoglycemic effects of stigmasterol isolated from Butea monosperma. Fitoterapia. 2009; 80:123–126. 10.1016/j.fitote.2008.12.002.
17. Ros MM. Sterk SS. Verhagen H. Stalenhoef AF. de Jong N. Phytosterol consumption and the anabolic steroid boldenone in humans: a hypothesis piloted. Food Additives Contam. 2007; 24:679–684. 10.1080/02652030701216727
18. Saeidnia S. Manayi A. Gohari AR. Abdollahi M. The story of beta-sitosterol – A review. European. Journal of Medicinal Plants. 2014; 4:590-609. 10.9734/EJMP/2014/7764
19. Assmann G. Cullen P. Erbey J. Ramey DR. Kannenberg F. Schulte H. Plasma sitosterol elevations are associated with an increased incidence of coronary events in men: results of a nested case-control analysis of the Prospective Cardiovascular Münster (PROCAM) study. Nutrition, and Metabolism Cardiovascular Diseases. 2006; 16:13–21. 10.1016/j.numecd.2005.04.001
20. O'Callaghan Y. Kenny O. O'Connell NM. Maguire AR. McCarthy FO. O'Brien NM. Synthesis and assessment of the relative toxicity of the oxidised derivatives of campesterol and dihydrobrassicasterol in U937 and HepG2 cells. Biochimie. 2012; 95:496-503. 10.1016/j.biochi.2012.04.019
21. Aguilar F. Crebelli R. Dusemund B. Galtier P. Gilbert J. Gott DM. Gundert-Remy U et al. Scientific Opinion on the safety of stigmasterol-rich plant sterols as food additive. EFSA Journal. 2012; 10(5):2659. doi.org/10.2903/j.efsa.2012.2659
22. Kim JC. Kang BH. Shin CC. Kim YB. Lee HS. Kim CY. Hann J et al. Subchronic toxicity of plant sterol esters administered by gavage to Sprague-Dawley rats. Food Chemical Toxicology. 2002; 40:1569-1580. 10.1016/s0278-6915(02)00152-7
23. Chen JH. Tsai CW. Wang CP. Lin HH. Anti-atherosclerotic potential of gossypetin via inhibiting LDL oxidation and foam cells formation. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology. 2013; 272:313-324. 10.1016/j.taap.2013.06.027
24. Chahar MK. Sharma N. Dobhal MP. Joshi YC. Flavonoids: A versatile source of anticancer drugs. Pharmacognosy Reviews. 2011; 5:1-12.
25. Galati G. O’Brien PJ. Potential toxicity of flavonoids and other dietary phenolics: significance for their chemopreventive and anti-cancer properties. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 2004; 37:287-303. 10.4103/0973-7847.79093
26. Matkowski A. Kus P. Goralska E. Wozniak D. Mangiferin – a bioactive xanthonoid, not only from mango and not just antioxidant. Mini-Reviews in Organic Chemistry. 2013; 13:439-455. 23190031.
27. Sellamuthu PS. Arulselvan P. Kamalraj S. Fakurazi S. Kandasamy M. Protective nature of mangifera on oxidative stress and antioxidant status in tissues of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. ISRN Pharmacology. 2013; 13:1-10. 10.1155/2013/750109.
28. Prado Y. Merion N. Acosta J. Herreras JA. Luque Y. Hernandez I. Prado E l. Acute and 28-day subchronic toxicity studies of mangiferin, a glucosyl xanthone isolated from Mangifera indica L. stem bark. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacognosy Research. 2015; 3:13-23.
29. Citoglu GS. Acikara OB. Column chromatography for terpenoids as flavonoids. In: Sasikumar D, editor. Chomatography and Its Applications. INTECH, China. 2018.
30. Gupta A. Naraniwal M. Kothari V. Modern extraction methods for preparation of bioactive plant extract. International Journal of Applied and Natural Science. 2012; 1:8-26.
31. Evans WC. Trease and Evans Pharmacognosy (15th edition). Elsevier. A Division of Reed Elsevier India Pvt. Limited. 2002.
32. Purnomo Y, Soeatmadji DW, Sumitro SB, Widodo MA. Inhibitory activity of Urena lobata leaf extract on dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4): is it different in vitro and in vivo ?. Medicinal Plants. 2018; 10(2):99-105.
33. ACD/Toxicity/LD-50, version 2019.2.2, Advanced Chemistry Development, Inc., Toronto,ON, Canada, www.acdlabs.com, 2020.
34. Shargel L, Wu-Pong S, and Yu A. Applied Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics. Fifth Edition. Mc Graw Hill Professional, US. 2004.
35. Sourabh S. Baghel. Sonal D. Prashant S. Priya S. Yogesh S. Acute Toxicity Study of Aqueous Extract of Coccinia indica (Roots). Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Science. 2011; 1(1):23-25.
36. Dubey SK. Batra A. Acute and sub-acute toxicity studies on ethanolic fraction of Thuja occidentalis Linn. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008; 1(3):245-248. rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2008-1-3-63
37. Dibyajyoti SK. Swati P. Cytotoxic Activity of Methanolic Extract of Alpinia conchigera Griff (Family: Zingiberaceae). Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2012; 2(2):86-88. asianjpr.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2012-2-2-10
38. Amit T. Dinesh S. Rajendra K. The Chemistry and Biology of Bioflavonoids. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008; 1(3):132-143. rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2008-1-3-40
39. Swati P. Dibyajyoti S. Cytotoxic Activity of Ethanol Extract of Leea indica Leaf. Asian Journal Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2012; 2(4):137-139. ajpsonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2012-2-4-4
40. Dibyajyoti S. Swati P. Cytotoxic Activity of Methanolic Extract of Plumbago indica L. (Family: Plumbaginaceae). Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2012; 2(2):59-61. ajptonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2012-2-2-7
41. Bondre V. Akare SC. Mourya P. Wanjari AD. Tarte PS. Paunikar GV. In Vitro Cytotoxic Activity of Leaves of Abutilon indicum Linn. Against Ehrlich Ascites Carcinoma and Dalton’s Ascitic Lymphoma Cell Line. Research Journal Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2009; 1(1):72-74. rjpponline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2009-1-1-17
42. Sengottuvelu D. Srinivasan S. Ramasamy. Toxicological Evaluation of a Novel Anti-Ulcer Herbal Formulation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008; 1(3):207-210. rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2008-1-3-55
43. Patel VD. Patel MB. Anand IS. Patel CN. Bhatt PA. TOXICOGENOMICS: A Review. Research Journal Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2010; 2(2):131-140. rjppd.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2010-2-2-28